PDA

View Full Version : Need to find the cartoon smoking in private place

Schifference
05-27-2012, 08:59 AM
Saw a cartoon awhile ago that advocated for private business to be able to choose to allow or not smoking. Please help me locate it.
Thanks!

pcosmar
05-27-2012, 09:11 AM
A few more clues might help locate it,,

but here is one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=nwIUfLttd0A

Schifference
05-27-2012, 09:19 AM
Thanks but the one I was looking for was totally animated and made a very good case for private business. My wife is responding to a class and I was hoping to include that video. I am guessing the video was posted about a year ago. I had it bookmarked for a long time but that is how it goes never need anything until you get rid of it.
Thanks again.

Schifference
05-27-2012, 09:23 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Q2wiZNtkQU&feature=related

Found it thanks to your video!
Thanks!

Schifference
05-27-2012, 09:32 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Q2wiZNtkQU&feature=related

Found it thanks to your video!
Thanks!

Schifference
05-27-2012, 09:37 AM
OK can't help but wonder this now. Would smoking in your home violate your children's right to a non smoking environment? If your spouse did not want the smoke they could move out. What choice does your child have?

Tod
05-27-2012, 10:47 AM
Good question, Schifference.....

The bigger question is maybe, "do children have rights, and if so, do those rights trump the parent's property rights?"

Is there a hierarchy to rights?

awake
05-27-2012, 11:21 AM
The logic of "second hand smoke" causing harm will eventually make its way to BBQ's, fire places, wood stoves and campfires. It is a wonder why these "highly dangerous" things can be allowed to exist. Isn't the war on Cancer worth it? The "Health and safety" racquet is simply tyranny and serfdom wearing a stethoscope.

Without the "second hand smoke" finding, cigarettes would simply be harmful to users, which would have dissolved most of the tyrannosaurus anti-tobacco movement. They made sure to "settle" the science.

Schifference
05-28-2012, 04:28 AM
I used to smoke. Brother smokes heavy and has fallen on hard financial times. I purchased him an electric roll your own unit 5 cases of tubes and several bags of pipe tobacco to get him going. That was probably 6 months ago. I know he has saved a lot of $$. He lives in CT and with taxes a pack of smokes would cost him around $9. Whenever I go to his house the smoke is thick. I can't take it in there for extended periods. Originally I asked for the cartoon because my wife's class and wanted to make the private property argument which we did effectively. It was not until later that I thought what about the kids. I would not want to live in a house with a chain smoker or imagine a couple of parents that smoke heavy. I am all for property rights but you have to admit that even if second hand smoke is not at all harmful it is very annoying to those that do not like it and it really smells. If I even walk into my brothers house for 30 seconds and leave the odor is impregnated on my clothes. Anyway I am pro property rights and for someone like my brother that lives alone no issue but what if he had a kid? He had a dog that recently died and the dog was sick for a long time. The dog used to cough something fierce no kidding. I never asked my brother if he thought it had any thing to do with the smoke. Who knows? I don't really care it was his dog. Once again I am not against smokers and believe in private property rights but the process did make me wonder about the other residents in a home. If I smoked and had family I would either smoke outside or have a designated room where I smoked with some sort of special ventilation with an exhaust fan that would suck the smoke outside. Heck I would probably do that if I lived alone. Just install an exhaust fan close to my favorite chair and smoke there. Would probably help keep my clothes and house from reeking.

Tod
05-28-2012, 06:28 AM
I knew a LOT of people who were chain smokers who had emphysema real bad. Worked briefly in an office with one in his 50's who was down to about 1/4 lung capacity. Just climbing a flight of stairs was a major undertaking for him. Fortunately for my lung health he got canned before long. A lot of other people forced to use oxygen tanks, alternating puffs on a cig with drags from the oxygen tank. Pathetic creatures addicted to their coffin nails.

Anyway, do children have rights?
Are rights only something acquired upon maturity?

Schifference
05-29-2012, 07:08 AM
Good question, Schifference.....

The bigger question is maybe, "do children have rights, and if so, do those rights trump the parent's property rights?"

Tod, these are good questions that I think merit discussion. It would be nice if others would chime in also. Maybe you can start a new thread with this topic. I am interested in discussing it.
Do children have rights? I think they do but what those rights are is a very tricky answer. I have had 4 children all very very smart. Taught them simple math when they were in diapers and have always encouraged them to use logic, solve problems, think for themselves & speak their minds. I am very mechanical and street smart but not religious. I know and remember what kids do and want to do at certain ages. I do not indoctrinate them to any God or religion. Other liberty minded people would raise their children totally different then the way I have raised my kids. Presently my son almost 15 is involved in a ground up frame off restoration of a 1969 Chevy Pickup. Neither one of us has ever done anything like this before. http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=513495
Since we all share different values and instill traits upon children I am confident that many would disagree with the way one parent raises a child.
I have a sister that adopted 3 children. All 3 of them suffer from issues. I am a believer in identifying a problem early and mitigating its damage. I believe that my sisters children would be much better off had they been raised by me then her. BTW my sister home schooled at least 2 of those children for an extended period. My ex-wife's Seventh Day Adventist's obese sister with very narrow views on the world home schooled 2 children and in my opinion today they are adults with limited potential. My son that is restoring the truck was targeted early on as being slow. Truth is he had a speech impediment that was greatly helped by a few months at Sylvan learning when he was around 5. He liked to talk a lot and people did not recognize his near brilliance. Kindergarten teacher said he was having reading trouble. I wrote a short book with him one Saturday morning and taught him how to sound out words in a couple of hours. He attended a private school and his 4th grade teacher wanted to hold him back because she did not feel he was ready and she LOVED HIM. He received a 3 day suspension for something he did playing with another child in the after school program. I pled with the principle to no avail that suspending a child from school for an after school issue did not seem proper. Later that day I was upset and questioned my son as to why he continues to hang out and play with this other boy that is always in trouble. My son's eyes teared up as he explained to me that the other kid was the only one that would play with him. Turns out there were 13 kids in the class 11 had been together since kindergarten and they did not accept new kids into their circle. When I realized the problem the next day I enrolled my son in a different school where he has been an A+ popular student ever since. He is currently ranked #1 Freshman academically out of over 350 freshman.

Children have rights. They have the right to prosper. In many instances that right is limited or hindered by the parents or the state. Parents can only be as good of a parent as they are capable of. It takes competence to recognize competence.

A right is not a right if you don't have it or it can be controlled or taken away. Rights are innate. Everyone regardless of age deserves respect. Whenever anyone's rights are trumped someone else's are stifled or violated. A child's rights should not be violated in lieu of the parents. Privilege is another story. Television, cell phones, going outside to play, any extracurricular activity are all privileges. Food is an issue. Children have the right to be brought up eating nutritious meals. Many parents eating habits probably violate children's right to nutritious food. I think it is abuse to allow children to pig out on junk food and or become obese. Eating habits stay with a person for life. As mentioned earlier I believe in mitigating damage. Even if I were obese I would not allow my children to become obese during my watch. I would prepare nutritious meals and always have good food available for them and keep the junk food out of reach or under lock and key.

This topic could go on and on. I don't believe we need DCS taking kids away like they do from capable parents and I don't care if parents raise obese children or if my sister has 3 kids with psychological issues. All I really care about is my immediate family and what I do to inhibit them from being the best they can be. I am no authority on raising children and wish all parents success in their endeavor. I personally try to not have my shortcomings become stumbling blocks for my children. I hope that my children have the tools and awareness to recognize what are good quality traits and decide for themselves to be the best person they can be without infringing on other peoples liberties.