PDA

View Full Version : Bill to relieve congressmen/senators of their "benefits."

Kluge
05-26-2012, 07:41 PM
I wonder if, before RP leaves office, if he would consider sponsoring a bill that would get rid of their benefits such as pension and healthcare? It'd be interesting to push our congressmen to co-sponsor it, and see what those who won't co-sponsor say to justify it.

They can get their health care on the market, or suffer under "Obamacare," should that be fully implemented.

Any downsides?

Zippyjuan
05-27-2012, 04:02 PM
The biggest catch is that congressmen/ senators would have to aprove such a bill.

KCIndy
05-27-2012, 04:15 PM
I would push my senators and rep on it, and push hard.

But I've always wondered why something like that wasn't quietly slipped inside of of those big omnibus bills. One always hears about some weird thing being stuffed into the middle of a 2,000 page bill where it won't be found until after the bill passes, then every politician inside the beltway denies being the one to put it there.

If I were in office, I would try to insert language stripping the political elite of their bennies and see if the bill got passed and signed before anyone figured it out....

Then as a finale, I would insert language requiring all the members of Congress to dance naked on the steps of the Capitol building every July 4th.

Betcha THAT would get 'em to start reading the bills - thoroughly - before passing them!! :D

Kluge
05-27-2012, 04:30 PM
I would push my senators and rep on it, and push hard.

But I've always wondered why something like that wasn't quietly slipped inside of of those big omnibus bills. One always hears about some weird thing being stuffed into the middle of a 2,000 page bill where it won't be found until after the bill passes, then every politician inside the beltway denies being the one to put it there.

If I were in office, I would try to insert language stripping the political elite of their bennies and see if the bill got passed and signed before anyone figured it out....

Then as a finale, I would insert language requiring all the members of Congress to dance naked on the steps of the Capitol building every July 4th.

Betcha THAT would get 'em to start reading the bills - thoroughly - before passing them!! :D

I actually think it would be lots of fun. Especially hearing them whimper and squirm and try to defend why they should have pay and benefits far greater than their average constituent. I would nag the crap out of my senators/congressman to co-sponsor it. Let 'em deal with Obamacare and no pensions like the rest of us.

I also like your sneaky idea. :p

Occam's Banana
05-27-2012, 05:11 PM
Nah. They'd just start offering "bounties" to interns or staffers to catch any such "gotchas." Anything to stave off the necessity of actually doing their jobs ...