PDA

View Full Version : Press 1 For English: Is America Destined To Become A Multilingual Nation?

John F Kennedy III
05-25-2012, 01:18 PM
Press 1 For English: Is America Destined To Become A Multilingual Nation?

The American Dream
Friday, May 25, 2012

The quickest way to divide people is to have them speak different languages. America has always been a nation of immigrants, but one of the things that has always united us as a nation has been the English language. In the past, it was always understood that if you wanted to thrive in the “land of opportunity” that you had better learn English and learn it well. Unfortunately, times have changed. Today, many radical activist groups are actually referring to the English language as a “tool of oppression” and are demanding that special accommodations be made for those that do not wish to learn the English language. But what languages are we supposed to accommodate? Overall, there are 325 different languages spoken at home in the United States today. So which of those languages should receive special treatment? How far are we really going to take all of this? Someday, instead of your telephone telling you to “press 1 for English, 2 for Spanish”, it may tell you to “press 323 for Italian, 324 for Arabic or 325 for English”. Yes, that is kind of a ridiculous example, but we really should examine where all of this is headed. Is America destined to become a multilingual nation where we all struggle to understand one another?

This debate can become very heated. The first thing that both sides should acknowledge is that everyone deserves to be loved and respected no matter where they are from and no matter what the color of their skin is. If someone speaks English that does not make that person better than someone who speaks Spanish and vice versa. Every single person on this planet is extremely valuable no matter where they come from and no matter what language they speak.

And the reality of the matter is that tens of millions of Americans speak Spanish as their primary language today.

All of us have noticed many of the changes that have occurred as a result.

If you use an ATM in America today, you will likely have the option to conduct your business in the Spanish language.

If you call a customer service hotline, you can “press 1 for English” or “para español oprima dos”.

In many areas of California, Texas and Florida some employers have made being bilingual a mandatory requirement for many jobs. If you apply for those jobs and you do not speak both English and Spanish you can just forget it.

Down in Miami, there are large areas of the city where Spanish is actually the primary language. It is almost like going to a foreign country.

Big retailers in many parts of the country have also hopped on the bandwagon. The following is a photo sent to me by a reader of the interior of a Home Depot store….

http://endoftheamericandream.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/P1020500-460x345.jpg

There is certainly nothing wrong with wanting to be helpful to your customers, but are we eventually going to get to the point where almost everything in America is done in two or more languages?

Increasingly, radical activist groups are deciding that it is not right to expect that immigrants will attempt to assimilate into our culture. Instead, they are demanding that all of us must be willing to make special accommodations for them.

This whole “political correctness” thing has totally gotten out of control.

According to Marta Jimenez, a lawyer for the Mexican American Legal Defense and Educational Fund, “the historical use of English in the United States” has been used as “a tool of oppression”.

A tool of oppression?

Really?

One of the biggest areas where we are seeing this kind of activism is in the education system. In some areas of America today, Hispanic students are taught most of their subjects in Spanish. This makes it very difficult for them to successfully integrate with the larger society.

The consequences of not insisting that public school students become proficient in English have been very dramatic at times. The following example comes from an article by Mauro Mujica….

In May, about 20 percent of the students at Miami Senior High School, where 88 percent of the students speak English as a second language, failed the annual Florida Comprehensive Assessment Test (FCAT) exam, which is required for graduation. The poor results prompted protests and demands for the test to be given in Spanish as well as English. Over 200 students and teachers gathered outside the school waving signs and chanting “No FCAT.” A state senator from Miami introduced a bill that would allow the FCAT to be given in Spanish.

Unfortunately, these issues are not going to go away any time soon. Today, approximately 20 percent of the entire population of the state of California is considered to have limited English proficiency.

The federal government certainly has not been helping matters. Illegal immigrants are much less likely to integrate into society, and the federal government continues to do very little to stop the flow of illegal immigrants coming into this country.

Meanwhile, legal immigrants (those that would be more likely to integrate successfully) have to go through paperwork hell in order to do things correctly.

Our entire immigration system is totally upside down.

Much of this article has focused on Spanish so far, but that is far from the only language that is becoming a major issue.

For example, those immigrating from the Middle East are also often not very eager to integrate into our culture.

Thanks to the federal government, very large numbers of Muslims have been immigrating into the United States, and as a result Islam is now the fastest growing major religion in America.

Many communities in America have actually altered their school calendars to accommodate Islamic holidays, and Arabic is commonly spoken in many areas of the United States today.

Someday members of your family may be taught Arabic in school. Don’t think that it can’t happen. As the New York Post recently reported, one public elementary school in New York will now require students to study Arabic….

An upper Manhattan public elementary school will be the first in the city to require that students study Arabic, officials said yesterday.

Beginning next semester, all 200 second- through fifth-graders at PS 368 in Hamilton Heights will be taught the language twice a week for 45 minutes — putting it on equal footing with science and music courses.

So will we soon hear “press 3 for Arabic” when we call a customer service line?

America is rapidly changing.

Barack Obama issued a memorandum which authorized the admission of up to 80,000 additional immigrants during fiscal year 2011. Most of the additional “refugees” were from areas that were highly Islamic.

As their numbers grow, will they be willing to learn our language and our culture?

Most Americans do not realize this, but there is even a requirement that ballots in other languages be available on a nationwide basis.

So you don’t even need to know English in order to be able to vote.

Unfortunately, those alternate ballots cost a lot of money to print up.

According to one estimate, providing bilingual and multilingual voting ballots nationwide costs close to 5 million dollars.

But it isn’t just ballots that are the issue.

Executive Order 13166, which was signed by Bill Clinton when he was president, essentially requires that all federal agencies ensure that individuals with limited English proficiency have “meaningful access” to all services that they provide.

That means that millions upon millions of dollars is spent printing up forms and documents in other languages.

A recent CNS News article discussed one example of this….

Health and Human Services Secretary Kathleen Sebelius said the government is working on including more questions about the health concerns of the LGBT community. The National Health Survey questions will be in multiple languages to “drill down on what are the specific health needs around the LGBT community.”

So is the federal government going to print up the National Health Survey in all 325 languages that are spoken in American homes?

If not, why not?

Don’t all language groups deserve equal treatment under the law?

Hopefully you are getting an idea of how bizarre all of this can potentially become.

The truth is that if we could focus on just one language that might help our education system.

Today, 47 percent of all people living in the city of Detroit are functionally illiterate. Getting the people of Detroit to be able to use one language correctly would be a major step in the right direction.

And if we allow other languages to become dominant in the United States it is only going to be a matter of time before that creates very deep political divisions in this country.

Theodore Roosevelt once made the following statement….

“There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism…. The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities.”

So what do you think about all of this?

article here:
http://www.infowars.com/press-1-for-english-is-america-destined-to-become-a-multilingual-nation/

originally here:
http://endoftheamericandream.com/archives/press-1-for-english-is-america-destined-to-become-a-multilingual-nation

The Goat
05-25-2012, 01:21 PM
The obvious solution is to throw anyone who speaks a language other than english in a rape cage.

John F Kennedy III
05-25-2012, 01:24 PM
The obvious solution is to throw anyone who speaks a language other than english in a rape cage.

You just reminded me that I'm supposed to be (because I want to) calling jail/prison cells rape cages. If forgot about that.

jkr
05-25-2012, 01:28 PM
just wait, the MASS migration of Chinese hasn't even started yet.

we will naturally need to accommodate our new masters , i mean neighbors...

ExPatPaki
05-25-2012, 01:29 PM
Thanks to the federal government's bombing of Muslim countries, very large numbers of Muslims have been immigrating into the United States, and as a result Islam is now the fastest growing major religion in America.

Fixed it.

And I really doubt Islam is the fastest growing religion in America.

John F Kennedy III
05-25-2012, 01:32 PM
just wait, the MASS migration of Chinese hasn't even started yet.

we will naturally need to accommodate our new masters , i mean neighbors...

Get ready for 30 million Chinese immigrants. Most of which will be supported by taxpayer dollars.

John F Kennedy III
05-25-2012, 08:12 PM
bump

Kodaddy
05-25-2012, 08:43 PM
I would hope Americans would want to learn to speak more languages. Most people I know can barely speak and write properly in English. I speak 3 languages fluently (English, Spanish and French), and 3 conversationally, meaning I may not be perfectly proper, but I can get by(German, Portugese and Thai). I also am proficient in Latin which helps with 'legalese' and crossword puzzles. It benefits me because I travel often. But, for the life of me, I cannot understand why, generally, Americans are so linguistically challenged.

jkr
05-25-2012, 09:17 PM
^Flouride^

heavenlyboy34
05-25-2012, 09:20 PM
Well, there have been Cuban communities in FL and Mexican communities in the southwest many many moons. Some stores offer spanish literature, etc as a convenience, in AZ, but it's not required yet (AFAIK). It's only a few that refuse to "Americanize". That's usually in poor areas of town. It's not really a problem yet-unless you consider changing demographics a problem (ala Pat Buchanan).

heavenlyboy34
05-25-2012, 09:23 PM
I would hope Americans would want to learn to speak more languages. Most people I know can barely speak and write properly in English. I speak 3 languages fluently (English, Spanish and French), and 3 conversationally, meaning I may not be perfectly proper, but I can get by(German, Portugese and Thai). I also am proficient in Latin which helps with 'legalese' and crossword puzzles. It benefits me because I travel often. But, for the life of me, I cannot understand why, generally, Americans are so linguistically challenged.
A really long period of relative isolation from the world, IMO. Average Americans haven't really had to learn another language (except maybe latin) till relatively recently. Europeans usually learn several languages out of necessity to travel and trade.

I am most proficient in Russian, but know a smattering of German, Italian, and Spanish.

DerailingDaTrain
05-25-2012, 09:26 PM
I am most proficient in Russian, but know a smattering of German, Italian, and Spanish

I know a little Italian (emphasis on little). I can probably think of 10 words I know in German and Spanish.

Can you read Cyrillic?

Dianne
05-25-2012, 09:34 PM
There is no America any more .. It is done, history, gang raped.

Drug Test the Congress, and the White House Staff .. They saved the best for themselves, while allowing 20 year sentences for selling a 5.00 joint.

Zippyjuan
05-25-2012, 09:36 PM
I studied German and Spanish in school. I have forgotten much of both but being in SoCal I do use some Spanish. I do not consider myself as being anywhere near proficient enough to be bilingual (I could survive as a tourist but otherwise would have problems).

Americans are funny (and yes of course I am an American!). We get excited about seeing a sign in two languages or get in a bunch if we hear somebody not using English yet if we were to go to another country we expect to see signs in two or more languages including English (so they can find their way around) and also expect them to know English so we don't have to bother learning any of their language.

From the movie Top Secret (funny spy spoof movie from the 80s):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0lJyDCLYTE

Exiled_LFOD
05-25-2012, 10:17 PM
If Amerika embraced it's capitalist roots many more Americans would likely be bi-lingual due to increased trade.

heavenlyboy34
05-25-2012, 10:36 PM
I know a little Italian (emphasis on little). I can probably think of 10 words I know in German and Spanish.

Can you read Cyrillic?
Fluently. Очень хорошо, конечно! :) Вам нравится?
The keyboard I use everyday is also bilingual(English-Russian/Англиский-Русский)

QuickZ06
05-25-2012, 10:52 PM
Is it sad that I pat myself on the back when I don't have to edit a post?

QuickZ06
05-25-2012, 10:53 PM
fml.....

LibertyEagle
05-25-2012, 10:57 PM
People can speak whatever language they choose, but the government should only print things in English.

donnay
05-25-2012, 11:08 PM
People can speak whatever language they choose, but the government should only print things in English.

The hijacked government are not going to do what the citizens want. Their agenda is to take this country into third world status that is why they have been catering to illegal aliens.

John F Kennedy III
05-26-2012, 04:46 AM
Yeah. If you don't think 10-30 million illegal aren't making our situation worse you're not paying attention.

KingNothing
05-26-2012, 06:42 AM
How dare people not be exactly like me!

KingNothing
05-26-2012, 06:44 AM

Meh.

Check out currency from India. It has all sorts of different languages on it to accommodate users.

This rage over language is so silly.

LibertyEagle
05-26-2012, 08:02 AM
Meh.

Check out currency from India. It has all sorts of different languages on it to accommodate users.

Your argument is that because India does it, the USA should? Seriously?

Last time I checked, printing most documents in a zillion other languages was rather costly. That is one of the reasons that I said government shouldn't do it. If private industry wants to do it, fine.

Secondly, if history is any guide, people in Canada used to be quite vocal about how having multiple languages in their country, hurt them badly. Why? They had difficulty communicating with each other. Think about Montreal. If you don't speak French, you're pretty much SOL.

tod evans
05-26-2012, 08:06 AM
Meh.

What about dumb-ass ol' farts like me?

It's taken me over 50 yrs to grasp the basic syntax of English as we speak it an the US.

Should it be "mandatory" for me to draw on my 3rd grade French lessons to purchase goods?

Do I need to learn Spanish in order to speak with the government? And is it actually Spanish I should learn or Tex-Mex?

Seems as though I remember folks of my grandparents generation learning Americanized English in order to converse with the other inhabitants of their adopted country...

There where Polish/German/Italian/Chezk/etc. neighborhoods but the daily business was all conducted in English.......

Why is that wrong now?

pcosmar
05-26-2012, 08:10 AM
Years back, I worked for a cleaning company. Washing windows, I was the "high wire act".. I had a helper for a while, a Chinese girl.
I don't speak Chinese, and she didn't speak English (though she was learning). I had no trouble communicating with her, and she was the best helper I ever had.

I have also had good fun in bars in Miami where Spanish was the language of choice. I don't speak Spanish.

It didn't stop me from having a great time.

LibertyEagle
05-26-2012, 08:21 AM
Years back, I worked for a cleaning company. Washing windows, I was the "high wire act".. I had a helper for a while, a Chinese girl.
I don't speak Chinese, and she didn't speak English (though she was learning). I had no trouble communicating with her, and she was the best helper I ever had.

I have also had good fun in bars in Miami where Spanish was the language of choice. I don't speak Spanish.

It didn't stop me from having a great time.

Surely, you don't think these are good reasons for the government to promote multiple languages in this country.

tod evans
05-26-2012, 08:26 AM
Maybe I figured it out?

Americans born here want less to do with the "government" so in it's self serving interests "government" is trying to appeal to whomever will listen......

Businesses like government are whores, they will adopt whatever persona the client wishes to pay for.

pcosmar
05-26-2012, 08:31 AM
Surely, you don't think these are good reasons for the government to promote multiple languages in this country.

NOPE
Proof that it is unnecessary.

I can speak Yooper, When I was in Hawaii years back I picked up the local pidgin English to blend in.
People can and do communicate without government assistance.

Kodaddy
05-26-2012, 08:32 AM
Perhaps it should employ a cost:benefit method. If printing tax forms in Spanish will bring in more revenue than not, I see no reason for English only tax forms.

pcosmar
05-26-2012, 08:36 AM
Perhaps it should employ a cost:benefit method. If printing tax forms in Spanish will bring in more revenue than not, I see no reason for English only tax forms.

I see no reason for tax forms.

Just place IRS tip jars.
;)

jonhowe
05-26-2012, 08:58 AM
Why can't the free market decide? If most people speak english, it's advantageous and profitable to only use english signage. If 1/3 speak spanish, though, what is so wrong with having spanish printed as well?

This is a point I just don't understand getting upset about. Languages change. Should we all be required to only use the vocabulary of those live in the late 1700s?

Revolution9
05-26-2012, 09:27 AM

Last time I checked, printing most documents in a zillion other languages was rather costly. That is one of the reasons that I said government shouldn't do it. If private industry wants to do it, fine.

Secondly, if history is any guide, people in Canada used to be quite vocal about how having multiple languages in their country, hurt them badly. Why? They had difficulty communicating with each other. Think about Montreal. If you don't speak French, you're pretty much SOL.

I don't speak French very well at all and lived in Montreal for years. Only a very small minority will play the I don't speak English game. It is a tourist towjn and it is death to your business if it is public and you do not cater to bilingualism. In the armed forces though there is huge fights between french and english ... at least back in the 70's there were.

Best
Rev9

MelissaWV
05-26-2012, 10:27 AM
This is such an astounding non-issue.

Government literature, in that such a thing exists at all, should be in English and printed only in English. Translations could be done by private companies who then get to put their logo on the approved translation. This can also be done by organizations such as La Raza and the NAACP and whoever else wants to get in on it. It is not discrimination to have official documents in a single language for the sake of consistency. For the IRS forms, it is simple enough for one of the aforementioned companies or agencies to publish a "cheat sheet" where the instructions are in whatever other language, but the boxes on the translated version correspond to the English version. You write your little numbers in, and you're done. Frankly, most people seem to prefer doing taxes online anyhow (math eludes most Americans as much as basic language skills), and I would think companies like TurboTax would offer multilingual assistance.

As for the shot of Home Depot... oh no? A private company decided that its signs would be more helpful if they listed both languages? The phone tree thing is obvious and simple, too. People who eventually answer those phones need to be able to understand the person who's calling in for assistance. The person who is calling in needs to be as comfortable as possible expressing whatever problem they are having. This has led to multilingual phone options. It's not always Spanish, either; the Medicaid Share of Cost hotline has English, Spanish, and Creole. Pro-tip: If you are having trouble getting through to someone helpful on the English side, you can usually just choose the Spanish option and get someone who's much more able to help you, and might even be in the US. Most overseas call centers do not staff Spanish-speaking script-readers.

Jingles
05-26-2012, 10:40 AM
Why do people care about this? We've always had people in this country speaking different languages than English. New York in the early 1900s. The PA Dutch, etc, etc, etc...

KingNothing
05-26-2012, 10:32 PM

No, my argument is that if basically everyone else on Earth makes steps to accommodate a variety of languages, why is it a problem is America does so?
Pressing a button to hear english over the phone, of skimming passed Spanish on a piece of paper has got to be somewhere high on the list of "Things That Really Don't Matter."

Seriously, we're bombing, abducting, and torturing innocent people. We're handing hundreds of billions of dollars to banks. We've got the largest prison population in human history and about 15-percent of people we've locked up are there for a weed-related offense. The government is building spy-centers to monitor everything you do. They're launching armed drones in our skies. We've got a record number of people on receiving food stamps or other forms of assistance just to make ends meet.

But yeah, accommodating other languages as dozens of other countries do is a problem worth debating. Right.

ProIndividual
05-26-2012, 11:08 PM
This idea we need to all speak one language is decidely not libertarian.

John F Kennedy III
05-26-2012, 11:21 PM
This idea we need to all speak one language is decidely not libertarian.

Good thing I'm not a libertarian.

Jingles
05-26-2012, 11:33 PM
Good thing I'm not a libertarian.

Well, I'm sorry? What are you then? The state is only justified if is it doing your will? A monopoly on violence/force is only okay if if does what you want it to do?

John F Kennedy III
05-27-2012, 12:12 AM
I mean that we should have one official language.

The Free Hornet
05-27-2012, 01:14 AM
I mean that we should have one official language.

By way of example, we pass laws in one language and that language is standardized by tools like "Black's Law Dictionary". I don't know if that is official or if there are other definitive dictionaries for how we interpret the written symbols passed as law. If this had to be translated, the actual meaning and interpretation could easily change too.

In a voluntaryist society, there would not likely be an official language but standardization would be common - perhaps to the point of necessity. Regardless, our misappropriated tax dollars ought not be used to subsidize those who won't or can't speak the language. Public school teachers must think that keeping people stupid is job security. All they prove is how little they are needed.

GuerrillaXXI
05-27-2012, 01:39 AM
Without some kind of common thread running through the population, we don't have a nation; we have an economic territory. This is, in fact, what America is now. Americans have nothing in common anymore apart from living within the same borders and being ruled by the same corrupt government.

I don't think the problem lies in language differences so much as in broader cultural differences. If you just let people from all over the world waltz into your country, regardless of whether they agree with the Constitution or care about freedom, don't be surprised when they eventually outnumber you and vote a tyrannical government into office. Open-borders multiculturalism always poses a net detriment to freedom in the long run. By the way, this has nothing whatsoever to do with race.

John F Kennedy III
05-27-2012, 01:40 AM
Regardless, our misappropriated tax dollars ought not be used to subsidize those who won't or can't speak the language.

Agreed 1000%