PDA

View Full Version : New Gallup Poll shows we have a LONG way to go...

realtonygoodwin
05-25-2012, 10:57 AM
http://www.gallup.com/poll/154889/Nearly-Half-Identify-Economically-Conservative.aspx

If you look at those who say they are both economically conservative and socially liberal, it is only 3% of the population.
When you also include those who are socially moderate, it is still only 14%.

Obviously, this isn't an exact number that represents libertarian ideals, but it is as good as I have found recently.

According to the RCP popular vote count, Ron Paul has won just over 11% of the popular vote so far during the primaries. This number only includes votes cast for Romney, Ginrich, Santorum, and Paul.

We need to be working on the hearts and minds of our fellow citizens in order to prepare for the next elections (2014, 2016, 2018, 2020).

This is education time. We, as the liberty movement, need to be cultural influencers. We do this by growing relationships and expanding our sphere of influence to those who do not agree with us. We get in positions within local party apparatus' and show ourselves to be dedicated hard-workers (and not just for one candidate).
We do this by saving up our money over time in order to fund liberty candidates in winnable races at all levels throughout the country. Build alliances and unions with those who agree with us 90% in order to not get stuck with someone who agrees with us 30%.
Don't alienate potential converts by showing disrespect to people. Understand that even when you disagree with someone politically, they still have intrinsic value as a human being created in the image of God.
We need to be the better people, rise above our petty differences, and take our country back piece by piece!

realtonygoodwin
05-25-2012, 11:41 AM
This is a call to action, folks.

Eisenhower
05-25-2012, 11:46 AM
Don't believe most of these garbage polls...

realtonygoodwin
05-25-2012, 11:58 AM
Why?

Voluntary Man
05-25-2012, 02:15 PM
I'm "socially" conservative. that doesn't mean I'm for imposing my world-view on anyone else....through coercion, anyway (i might jabber on about it, though, if you let me). poll doesn't prove anything, except that they're asking the wrong questions (as almost all polls do).

realtonygoodwin
05-25-2012, 04:44 PM
Same here. Like I said, it isn't a perfect representation.

jmdrake
05-25-2012, 04:53 PM
I'm "socially" conservative. that doesn't mean I'm for imposing my world-view on anyone else....through coercion, anyway (i might jabber on about it, though, if you let me). poll doesn't prove anything, except that they're asking the wrong questions (as almost all polls do).

Yes. And the basic misunderstanding of how someone can be socially conservative but not want the federal government enforcing social mores is a large part of the reason for the useless fights at this place. Take the "gay marriage" debate. There's an easy way around that. Get rid of all federal entanglements concerning marriage. Work to that end. You might even get some social conservatives who mistakenly think they support small government (but vote for big government "Planned Parenthood funding" shills like Rick Santorum) to wake up and go along. But noooooooo. Some people aren't satisfied until everyone is "converted" to being a social liberal. People need to learn to find common ground. That's the work that needs to be done.

Liberty74
05-25-2012, 05:49 PM
There is absolutely no way only 3% consider themselves economically conservative AND socially liberal privately. If you look at polls asking people their opinion on certain issues, most people are just that - some form of libertarianism, they just don't know it because of their misunderstanding of the what is conservative and what is liberal.

Brett85
05-25-2012, 06:47 PM
I'm socially conservative, and I still want to abolish about 80% of the federal government. I don't see what being socially liberal has to do with limited government.

Badger Paul
05-26-2012, 06:12 AM
All these Gallup Polls basically say is being a conservative is a minority position. A "moderate" is someone who isn't a conservative but doesn't want to call themselves a "liberal" because the term is simply too "toxic". When most Leftist call themselves "Progressives" there is a reason for this.

thoughtomator
05-26-2012, 06:42 AM
I don't see how the OP got to the conclusion from the poll. I would answer any poll with being both economically and socially conservative. I'm politically liberal though, in the sense that I don't believe that laws tend to be very good solutions to problems. But they don't have a category for opinions that don't fit into their narrow left/right worldview.

Bossobass
05-26-2012, 08:06 AM
The gay marriage issue is like a waiter asking you what you want for breakfast tomorrow morning while you're standing on the deck of the Titanic watching it fill with water.

To me, the media drives most opinions by putting non-issues in front of millions, 24/7. People seem to just want to know what the buzz is so that they can join in the conversation at the water cooler with everyone nodding heads and feeling well informed, up-to-the-minute.

There is no way to compete with that.

Best tact is to live your life as an individual and stick to your guns when the conversation includes you. Ron is my model for that. Never back down. Never flip flop with conventional wisdom or political correctness dictates.

I say that if there are 15% like Ron, we win. But, it takes backbone, tact and practicing what you preach. No small order, IMO and experience.

asurfaholic
05-26-2012, 08:25 AM
The gay marriage issue is like a waiter asking you what you want for breakfast tomorrow morning while you're standing on the deck of the Titanic watching it fill with water.

To me, the media drives most opinions by putting non-issues in front of millions, 24/7. People seem to just want to know what the buzz is so that they can join in the conversation at the water cooler with everyone nodding heads and feeling well informed, up-to-the-minute.

There is no way to compete with that.

Best tact is to live your life as an individual and stick to your guns when the conversation includes you. Ron is my model for that. Never back down. Never flip flop with conventional wisdom or political correctness dictates.

I say that if there are 15% like Ron, we win. But, it takes backbone, tact and practicing what you preach. No small order, IMO and experience.

Wow.. great post. Completely agree..

Brett85
05-26-2012, 10:20 AM
All these Gallup Polls basically say is being a conservative is a minority position. A "moderate" is someone who isn't a conservative but doesn't want to call themselves a "liberal" because the term is simply too "toxic". When most Leftist call themselves "Progressives" there is a reason for this.

I agree. Practically every single person in these polls who calls themselves a "moderate" is actually a liberal.