PDA

View Full Version : MO State Rep Paul Curtman - Reagan Conservatives, Natural Law and Libertarians

tsai3904
05-23-2012, 10:52 AM
This guy has a real bright future ahead of him in the liberty movement.

I have heard some of my good republican friends make some pretty disparaging comments about libertarians recently. Unable to determine if my friends were talking about people who belong to the libertarian party or people who simply identify with the libertarian philosophy, I asked them to clarify, and they couldn’t. This is disturbing. Unfortunately for conservatives in America, the word libertarian is misunderstood but only because we have accepted the term as defined by a society of lazy thinkers. Most people think that a libertarian is someone who belongs to the libertarian party or they think it’s a soft word for anarchists. The problem with this is that society has taken a word that identifies an important concept and twisted it so that popular culture defines and uses the word the wrong way. I see the same problem with the way popular culture uses the word, "truther," to identify people that society thinks are crazy for their thoughts on what happened on September 11, 2001. TRUTH is a GOOD word but we have found a way to attribute it to an idea that so many people hate. Historian and author, Paul Johnson once wrote, “Those who treasure the meaning of words will treasure truth… The correct and honorable use of words is the first and natural credential of civilized status.”

A true libertarian is someone who basically believes that the sole purpose of government is to protect the God-given liberties that we are each endowed with and that our laws should provide equal protection of those liberties for everybody. The Declaration of Independence and the Constitution reinforce this fundamental idea. I believe that the Founding Fathers would have no problem being identified as libertarian if they were alive today. Thomas Jefferson, for example, and the rest of the founders at the 2nd Continental Congress believed that government should only go about business so long as its aim is to protect natural rights. Anyone can easily come to this conclusion by reading the second paragraph of the Declaration of Independence where it states that, “all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable rights, among these are life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness, and that to secure these rights, governments are instituted among me…” This concept was approved unanimously.

More at link:
http://paulcurtman.weebly.com/2/post/2012/05/reagan-conservatives-natural-law-and-libertarians.html

FYI - He's a freshman State Representative in Missouri and endorsed Ron Paul in February. He also stepped in as a surrogate for Ron Paul in a local GOP Presidential debate. He even wrote an excellent blog defending Ron Paul's foreign policy (here (http://paulcurtman.weebly.com/2/post/2011/12/i-like-the-founding-fathers-except-for-their-foreign-policy.html)).

He is running for re-election in a new district (due to redistricting) so please help him out if you can.

trey4sports
05-23-2012, 11:02 AM
he introduced Ron in St. Charles. Very, very good guy and someone we need to encourage to run for US House/Senate

Romulus
05-23-2012, 11:02 AM
and got a LOT of flack for it from the good ol boy Missourians. He's the real deal here.

tsai3904
05-23-2012, 11:24 AM
He doesn't have a primary opponent but his general election will be tough. He'll be going up against a 11 year County Commissioner in a new district.

http://paulcurtman.net/