PDA

View Full Version : Larry and Linda, please consider this design (not text) change for the USA TODAY ad!

acmegeek
11-15-2007, 11:37 PM
As I've said before, I can't donate the funds, I can only give of my talents.

I then humbly submit a NEW design revision which I think you and others will really like. It is the same overall design, just punched up a bit.

Note I did not change any text since the 5th draft. I just moved a couple things around.

http://s3os.com/misc/ron_paul_ad.jpg

http://s3os.com/misc/ron_paul_ad.jpg

I can provide you with the vector format file that you can easily drop your editable text on. This source file is fully print ready.

Please consider this for the ad.

Thanks,

Ninja Homer
11-15-2007, 11:50 PM
I'm the one who switched around the pics of the founding fathers on top so they are all looking you in the eye and facing the center. I wasn't working with high resolution, because I was just doing a quick example. If the founding fathers pics are going to be rearranged like that, the graphics should be reworked on the original high resolution. I can see some degradation on it from being copied over a few times. Also, you'll notice I mirrored Benjamin Franklin's border, so it isn't currently matching the others. Since it was just a quick example, I didn't bother correcting that, but that should be done on the original as well.

max
11-15-2007, 11:50 PM
nice design!!!...i really like the statue of liberty in background

fcofer
11-15-2007, 11:53 PM
I very much like this design! Llepard, I think that you should run it like this (I'm sure that you were waiting for my opinion :) ).

Libertarian
11-15-2007, 11:53 PM
Heck yeah! I definitely think the founders should be looking at the audience like this. It makes the message much more personal. Nice touch with the statue of liberty background too. :)

acmegeek
11-16-2007, 12:07 AM
Thanks! I know that the founders' faces need to be revised. I just didn't do that, but it would be trivial with the high res source files.

Thanks!

Pete Kay
11-16-2007, 12:15 AM
I like your design a lot. I'm still bothered by the Ron Paul parts that are bolded in parenthesis because it really disrupts the perspective of having the Founders talking in first person, then jumping to a Ron Paul polical pitch. I think if they are going to run with the idea of the Founders speaking to you then they should leave Ron Paul out of the letter until the end. It reminds me a lot of the way your English teacher writes in comments to your homework right on top of what you wrote.

NH4RonPaul
11-16-2007, 12:20 AM
I'm the one who switched around the pics of the founding fathers on top so they are all looking you in the eye and facing the center. I wasn't working with high resolution, because I was just doing a quick example. If the founding fathers pics are going to be rearranged like that, the graphics should be reworked on the original high resolution. I can see some degradation on it from being copied over a few times. Also, you'll notice I mirrored Benjamin Franklin's border, so it isn't currently matching the others. Since it was just a quick example, I didn't bother correcting that, but that should be done on the original as well.

All they had to do was switch Washington's photo with Franklin's...no need to recopy anything, just move it.

It's a basic design flaw I see a lot of.... faces that are turned should face INTO the paper, not off of it.

- Another Graphic Designer

max
11-16-2007, 12:21 AM
I like your design a lot. I'm still bothered by the Ron Paul parts that are bolded in parenthesis because it really disrupts the perspective of having the Founders talking in first person, then jumping to a Ron Paul polical pitch. I think if they are going to run with the idea of the Founders speaking to you then they should leave Ron Paul out of the letter until the end. It reminds me a lot of the way your English teacher writes in comments to your homework right on top of what you wrote.

it really irks me too...

kills the whole effect and is unnecessary........

the percenatage od reaeders who read it from start to end will diminish greatly due to those annoying, distracting parenteticals

Man from La Mancha
11-16-2007, 12:23 AM
Please adopt this design style. I like it. I have to agree with Max although it shows Ron's points it does break up the continuity. If they like Ron people will learn those things and some of them are at the bottom.

http://img339.imageshack.us/img339/9435/blackwsmallyh7.gif (teaparty07.com)..http://img211.imageshack.us/img211/8947/brighton7gs5.gif (teaparty07.com)..copy,paste,linked to teaparty07.com , either one

Aballistar
11-16-2007, 12:23 AM
I really like this design.

UtahApocalypse
11-16-2007, 12:32 AM
once again a grassroots person comes through with something 10X better the what a "pro" was able to.

torchbearer
11-16-2007, 12:34 AM
I like the faces pointing inward.

acmegeek
11-16-2007, 12:41 AM
I am a "pro" in that sense because that's what I do for a living.

And all I did was take the existing design and punch it up a few notches.

Any good designer will be able to improve on another designer's work, even if the original designer is top notch! It is all a matter of differing styles and perspectives. And even the best designer can reach a stopping point and not realize what additional changes could be made. I know that happens to me all the time when I present a design to a client and they suggest something that really adds to the design, usually something I had never considered, but really appreciated.

I do want to emphasize that I don't take credit for coming up with the core design. Linda did that.

I had just noticed that throughout the drafts, the graphic treatment didn't change and since so much was done to the text, I thought that I could suggest, well provide, actual changes.

So, again, I humbly submit my revisions to be included in the printed ad. I'm not looking for a design credit or anything, just the satisfaction that I was able to use my talents to help Dr. Paul's campaign.

Sincerely,

Pete Kay
11-16-2007, 12:41 AM
it really irks me too...

kills the whole effect and is unnecessary........

the percenatage od reaeders who read it from start to end will diminish greatly due to those annoying, distracting parenteticals

Actually they should just run with your orginal New Hampshire design then. The thing about talking from the perspective of the Founders is, that it only works if you use their language and writing style. There has to be some basis from where the reader can suspend disbelief and be able to buy into the concept. The modern language does not work. It's a lot like in movies when actors are terrible at affecting an accent. You just can't buy into the characters and it ruins the movie.

Ninja Homer
11-16-2007, 12:59 AM
All they had to do was switch Washington's photo with Franklin's...no need to recopy anything, just move it.

It's a basic design flaw I see a lot of.... faces that are turned should face INTO the paper, not off of it.

- Another Graphic Designer

lol... yeah, that's what I did at first, but then there were complaints that Franklin shouldn't be above Washington. I also switched Jefferson's pic for the one where he is looking you in the eye, and that was a gigantic improvement. In the other one, Jefferson is just kind of staring off the page.

Most important law of ad design - keep viewers attention on the ad.