PDA

View Full Version : Wouldn't Paul getting the nom @ national convention be GENIUS for the GOP??

RileyE104
05-21-2012, 08:07 PM
I mean, Democrats and Obama have spent the entire election railing against Romney... Sending a completely different nominee to go up against Obama would essentially render all that air time that was used to bash Romney as well as the millions (hundreds of millions? billions?) they've spent this election COMPLETELY USELESS, would it not? Everything they've planned for the general election would be all for nothing! And I'm sure Obama has spent this past year practicing his debating skills to go up against Romney, but having to debate Dr. Paul with less than a month to prepare? I know our guy would embarrass the hell out of him.

eleganz
05-21-2012, 08:14 PM
I mean, Democrats and Obama have spent the entire election railing against Romney... Sending a completely different nominee to go up against Obama would essentially render all that air time that was used to bash Romney as well as the millions (hundreds of millions? billions?) they've spent this election COMPLETELY USELESS, would it not? Everything they've planned for the general election would be all for nothing! And I'm sure Obama has spent this past year practicing his debating skills to go up against Romney, but having to debate Dr. Paul with less than a month to prepare? I know our guy would embarrass the hell out of him.

Sounds great but I wouldn't count on it.

Cleaner44
05-21-2012, 08:16 PM
Obama would be freaking out and the establishement would almost certainly overcompensate with their attack against Paul that it would be completely transparent.

sailingaway
05-21-2012, 08:21 PM
It would be, but when was the last time the RNC could be accused of genius?

Drex
05-21-2012, 08:22 PM
GOP and genius in the same sentence?

The Gold Standard
05-21-2012, 08:24 PM
It would be a disaster for the GOP elites. Ron would shut off their federal money faucet.

Legend1104
05-21-2012, 08:24 PM
Yeah I hate to say it but I think the GOP would rather sink the Romney ship than sail into the sunset on the U.S.S Paul.

NoOneButPaul
05-21-2012, 08:35 PM
It amazes me how quickly people forget that the elite in this country will never EVER put up a man who wants to bring all the troops home.

The consequences for them if that happened would be astronomical... somehow people just put that out of their minds when they come up with these "Elites are planning for him to win" or "We can convince them to accept him as the nominee"

The people running the show are never going to put up a man who wants to end the war machine.

We need to refocus on the state and local elections, build the movement from the ground up and help pave the way for national figures like Rand Paul to take on the POTUS later when the party isn't full of pieces of shit.

JustinL
05-21-2012, 08:56 PM
As I say 'A win in name only is no win at all'. Just as we know it with Ron Paul, they know it with Romney. If they win, but not with one of their puppets, they've lost. And I think the powers that be see it the same, but in reverse as we do, that either Obama or Romney is a win (and they've probably already chosen Obama to win) and Paul is a loss.

J_White
05-21-2012, 10:03 PM
lol !! they want us to believe they want to beat Obama - just like they did when they sent John bomb Iran McCain against Obama in 2008 !

dillo
05-21-2012, 11:58 PM
I really don't think the leaders of the GOP want to win this election, in fact I think they may want to lose it. If Obama gets reelected and the republicans hold the congress the country is stuck in a stalemate. Our economy will continue to tank and by 2016 the GOP will be able to run a really hawkish conservative because the country will be so sick of the Democrats.

/tinfoil hat

glts
05-22-2012, 12:15 AM
The same people that control the dems control the republicans. Romney and Obama are THEIR players. They probably would rather have Obama in but either way it doesn't matter a whole lot to them. If the dems and reps weren't controlled by the same people Ron Paul would have never been blacklisted by the media, etc. He would have been swept up by the GOP and embraced.

Vet_from_cali
05-22-2012, 12:41 AM
Sounds great but I wouldn't count on it.

I like the enthusiasm!!

John F Kennedy III
05-22-2012, 01:36 AM
lol !! they want us to believe they want to beat Obama - just like they did when they sent John bomb Iran McCain against Obama in 2008 !

Don't blame me, I voted for McCain.

amonasro
05-22-2012, 01:51 AM
Obama would be freaking out and the establishement would almost certainly overcompensate with their attack against Paul that it would be completely transparent.

This would be a sight to see. They'd completely discredit themselves. Of course a percentage of sheeple would fall into line, but think about the awakening that would occur.

Dutch
05-22-2012, 04:04 AM
Don't blame me, I voted for McCain.
Should Rombama be elected President, wouldn't it be great if every Ron Paul supporter had a bumper sticker on their car with "Don't blame me, I voted Ron Paul" on it? Imagine seeing those stickers just everywhere. 'Drive' the message home, so to speak.

SilenceDewgooder
05-22-2012, 06:24 AM

I think that was part of Paul's strategy in "suspending active campaigning", but you see the GOP and Democrats as 2 separate parties with separate agendas, I do not.

KEEF
05-22-2012, 07:20 AM
Should Rombama be elected President, wouldn't it be great if every Ron Paul supporter had a bumper sticker on their car with "Don't blame me, I voted Ron Paul" on it? Imagine seeing those stickers just everywhere. 'Drive' the message home, so to speak.

After the 08 election, I drove around with a Ron Paul bumper sticker that said Ron Paul was Right.

Matthew5
05-22-2012, 07:48 AM
Wishful thinking indeed. It's all about being in power. The GOP would be on the back burner with a Paul administration. You think they want that?

EBounding
05-22-2012, 08:01 AM
I think the OP's scenario is much more likely than Paul being selected as VP or running 3rd party.

Anything could happen between now and the nomination. Although unlikely, Romney could do something incredibly stupid which causes his poll numbers to tank into the 30's or 20's. You never know. Of course, I think they'd pick Jeb Bush out of smoke filled room instead of Ron Paul.

Even if Paul isn't going to win, I just want them to read off the delegate votes to let them know we're not going anywhere.

SilenceDewgooder
05-22-2012, 08:44 AM
...Even if Paul isn't going to win, I just want them to read off the delegate votes to let them know we're not going anywhere.

So easy to give up... I have not invested my time, money and effort for him to lose. So until the delegates vote at the convention, can we stay a little more positive.

Bastiat's The Law
05-22-2012, 08:47 AM
We need a Romney sex scandal.

Ivash
05-22-2012, 09:04 AM
While I can understand why you guys might think this, you have to understand what the GOP would think about this situation.

Their argument would be thus: Romney won the most votes, has a great deal of money, and has had a couple of excellent weeks against Obama. Paul has won less votes than Gingrich (who himself collected less votes than Santorum) has little money on hand, is not well likes by large sections of the voting population and establishment, and would be accused of stealing the election if we just gave it to him, which would offer both the media and Obama an amazing attack against our nominee. Immediately after Paul got the nomination there would be confusion, denial, and anger at us, the process, and politics in general. A lot of Republicans would probably stay home. Rush and other radio show hosts would demand a third party run, and it is likely that Santorum or another person would indeed run splitting the vote further.

Though that may not happen, why risk it?

Etc, etc, etc.

Peace&Freedom
05-22-2012, 09:20 AM
What about our "confusion, denial, and anger at us, the process, and politics in general" over the rigged voting that gave Romney et al their victories, or the railroaded media coverage to divert attention away from Paul at every turn, all to benefit a tycoon who "is not well liked by large sections of the voting population" or the Republican grassroots?

Romney "won" a thoroughly massaged and engineered "race" designed to coronate him from as early as January 3, based on his money, establishment puppet status, and most of all the GOP elite promise made to him in 2008 to give him the inside track for the nomination in 2012, in exchange for his suspending his campaign against McCain. If a Paul nomination (or a show of commanding support for him) can be accomplished in Tampa despite the establishment, the point will be to expose the phoniness of the current rigged process, not to make peace with it in order to not upset the very marks who are currently bamboozled by it.

anewvoice
05-22-2012, 09:22 AM
GOP and genius in the same sentence?

Obvious joke is obvious (and funny), +rep!

Ivash
05-22-2012, 09:27 AM
What about our "confusion, denial, and anger at us, the process, and politics in general" over the rigged voting that gave Romney et al their victories, or the railroaded media coverage to divert attention away from Paul at every turn, all to benefit a tycoon who "is not well liked by large sections of the voting population" or the Republican grassroots?

Romney "won" a thoroughly massaged and engineered "race" designed to coronate him from as early as January 3, based on his money, establishment puppet status, and most of all the GOP elite promise made to him in 2008 to give him the inside track for the nomination in 2012, in exchange for his suspending his campaign against McCain. If a Paul nomination (or a show of commanding support for him) can be accomplished in Tampa despite the establishment, the point will be to expose the phoniness of the current rigged process, not to make peace with it in order to not upset the very marks who are currently bamboozled by it.

Now that the nomination is over many Republicans are swinging his way- only a small percentage said that they definitely will not vote for him in recent polling. And that there is no real unhappiness over the process (except for Ron Paul fans) suggest that there won't really be that big of a back lash.

Finally, given the large number of elite that stood on the side lines (waiting for Daniels, or giving to Perry when he jumped into the race but before he looked like an idiot) it is unlikely that an establishment wide deal with Romney happened.

sailingaway
05-22-2012, 10:08 AM
Now that the nomination is over many Republicans are swinging his way- only a small percentage said that they definitely will not vote for him in recent polling. And that there is no real unhappiness over the process (except for Ron Paul fans) suggest that there won't really be that big of a back lash.

Finally, given the large number of elite that stood on the side lines (waiting for Daniels, or giving to Perry when he jumped into the race but before he looked like an idiot) it is unlikely that an establishment wide deal with Romney happened.

the party massaged its voting rules for him differently in different states. That is enough of the establishment.