PDA

View Full Version : AMC Theaters officially bought out by Chinese movie business "Wanda Group"

CaptainAmerica
05-21-2012, 01:31 PM
Just another one of those familiar places/brands being bought out. I don't know what this means for movie ticket prices or whether the new owner intends to lobby with the rating boards to censor films.
Wang Jianlin, Chairman and President of Wanda, said, “This acquisition will help make Wanda a truly global cinema owner, with theatres and technology that enhance the movie-going experience for audiences in the world’s two largest movie markets. Wanda has a deep commitment to investing in the entertainment business and is already the largest in this sector in China, with more than US $1.6 billion invested in cultural and entertainment activities since 2005. We share with AMC a passion for the growth of the worldwide movie industry. We look forward to partnering with AMC’s management team and employees to build on the many strengths of the company.””

Call me crazy, but China is a communist country that has no problem plowing over homes to build Olympic stadiums and sending homeless people to who knows where for "aesthetic" purposes during the Olympics.. and I can see why their government would work closely with movie firms to expand their movie propaganda globally.Im not saying they would do it immediately, but a hypothetical is that they could attempt to manipulate ratings on movies by lobbying to scare directors and writers/studios into abiding by certain censorship rules somewhere in the near future. Iron Man 3 for instance is going to be about the villain named "Mandarin" who in the comic books is of Chinese origin and uses mystical rings of power.Strangely ,Chinese government didn't like the idea of a hollywood movie called "Iron Man" depicting a Chinese national as the Mandarin ,so the studios decided or were influenced to change the origins completely and it will be filmed in China.Oh well.Ill be going to Harkins Theater from here on out.
http://www.examiner.com/article/sale-of-amc-theatres-to-wanda-group-is-official

updated:Deal Expands Chinese Influence on Hollywood

The acquisition creates the world’s largest theater group, the companies said. It also represents a significant expansion of Chinese influence in the American film industry. The industry has been looking to China for a vast new reservoir of ticket buyers for Hollywood movies, while joining Chinese investors to produce films like the planned “Iron Man 3” and teaming up to build studio facilities and a new Disney theme park in China.

Like I said before China is manipulating the way movies are made...example being Iron Man 3 and how they are influencing the storyline ,the origins of certain characters and how it will portray China.
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/05/21/business/global/amc-theater-deal-links-china-to-hollywood.html

phill4paul
05-21-2012, 01:40 PM
China held up the release of 'Red Dawn.' If anyone remembers the original '80's flick it dealt with a Soviet invasion and resistance by a group of teenagers. In the updated movie the invaders were originally the Chinese. But, wait a minute. Seems they got all bent out of shape. So now the directors are having to go back in and edit it so that it is North Korea that are the invaders. North Korea, lol. Suspension of reality will be too great in that one for me.

angelatc
05-21-2012, 01:41 PM
China held up the release of 'Red Dawn.' If anyone remembers the original '80's flick it dealt with a Soviet invasion and resistance by a group of teenagers. In the updated movie the invaders role are the Chinese. But, wait a minute. Seems they got all bent out of shape. So now the directors are having to go back in and edit it so that it is North Korea that are the invaders. North Korea, lol. Suspension of reality will be too great in that one for me.

OMG! I wondered what happened to that movie!

TonySutton
05-21-2012, 01:42 PM
Maybe we can get egg rolls instead of popcorn

angelatc
05-21-2012, 01:43 PM
Maybe we can get egg rolls instead of popcorn

LOL/ ANd we'll be left wanting to see a movie every two hours.

CaptainAmerica
05-21-2012, 02:03 PM
China held up the release of 'Red Dawn.' If anyone remembers the original '80's flick it dealt with a Soviet invasion and resistance by a group of teenagers. In the updated movie the invaders were originally the Chinese. But, wait a minute. Seems they got all bent out of shape. So now the directors are having to go back in and edit it so that it is North Korea that are the invaders. North Korea, lol. Suspension of reality will be too great in that one for me. I had no idea that the Chinese government was involved with influencing the remake of "Red Dawn". This is so ridiculous....its so blatant that they are manipulating movie making now. Iron Man 3, Red Dawn...whats next?

HOLLYWOOD
05-21-2012, 06:15 PM
sure it wasn't the PANDA Group?

VBRonPaulFan
05-21-2012, 08:08 PM
gotta use those US dollars we ship over there in bulk for something, don't they?

jkr
05-21-2012, 08:19 PM
ARR YOR CURTURE IS BERONG TO US

let the brain washing begin!

madengr
05-21-2012, 09:07 PM
ARR YOR CURTURE IS BERONG TO US

let the brain washing begin!

You just made me get beer in my nose! :D

brushfire
05-21-2012, 09:15 PM
Cool - my children and I can watch our favorite movies

http://67.222.157.202/%7Estaytoon/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/kung-fu-panda-dragon-scroll.jpg

RonPaulMall
05-21-2012, 11:48 PM
China held up the release of 'Red Dawn.' If anyone remembers the original '80's flick it dealt with a Soviet invasion and resistance by a group of teenagers. In the updated movie the invaders were originally the Chinese. But, wait a minute. Seems they got all bent out of shape. So now the directors are having to go back in and edit it so that it is North Korea that are the invaders. North Korea, lol. Suspension of reality will be too great in that one for me.

Please. As if the same sort of things haven't been done for years, except on a scale a hundred times worse, to appease American audiences. What about Call of Duty? One of the most popular video games of all time. Yet you can't play the Germans in single player. Ever wonder why? Because Americans would whine about fake computer American soldiers getting killed. They'd whine more about that the thousands of actual real life Afghan and Pakistani civilians that have been blown up under our name over the past decade.

Endgame
05-22-2012, 02:02 AM
Blame the nationalist fuckwits that went to China to pay for $80k infrared-guided anti-tank missiles blowing up mud huts.

Lishy
05-22-2012, 02:29 AM
No clue what AMC Theaters is, nor' do I give a crap about them. Just stay away from my anime and manga!

Though, I sure hope the Chinese don't get involved with the PC gaming market. Not to be racist, but usually if it involves China, it's bound to be virus/malware-ridden...

Feeding the Abscess
05-22-2012, 02:39 AM
Please. As if the same sort of things haven't been done for years, except on a scale a hundred times worse, to appease American audiences. What about Call of Duty? One of the most popular video games of all time. Yet you can't play the Germans in single player. Ever wonder why? Because Americans would whine about fake computer American soldiers getting killed. They'd whine more about that the thousands of actual real life Afghan and Pakistani civilians that have been blown up under our name over the past decade.

This. Medal of Honor had to nix the Taliban as a playable option because of nationalist bullshit, too.