PDA

View Full Version : Dumpster diving for Ron Paul (pic)

Matt Collins
05-21-2012, 11:17 AM
At the Minnesota HQ early on in the Campaign back in October we actually found a most of our office furniture either at the local thrift stores, or out back in the dumpster behind the building. Here is the pic to prove it.

http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x93/sonicspikesalbum/2012-I/339303_10150424885485935_574660934_10491395_418645 527_o.jpg

Similarly when I helped Rand set up his new office in Bowling Green, we did the same thing. The big conference table we used was actually a discarded ping-pong table from the trash pile out back lolz....

FSP-Rebel
05-21-2012, 11:19 AM
Oh lord, I wonder what the inside of the White House is gonna look like.

tod evans
05-21-2012, 11:21 AM

With a Paul presidency there'd be no up-teen millions spent remodeling.

Ronulus
05-21-2012, 11:25 AM
Don't tell me you slept on that bed Collins. Probably pre-covered in urine and feces.

brushfire
05-21-2012, 11:26 AM
Is he gonna eat those peanuts?

Danke
05-21-2012, 11:31 AM
Don't tell me you slept on that bed Collins. Probably pre-covered in urine and feces. The Collins never rests.

angelatc
05-21-2012, 11:34 AM
Not the most effective use of time. And it's sort of embarrassing to support a campaign that makes it's lower level staffers dig through dumpsters to furnish offices. I love the concept of saving money with used furniture, but dumpster diving isn't professional.

Anti Federalist
05-21-2012, 11:34 AM
Don't tell me you slept on that bed Collins. Probably pre-covered in urine and feces.

Urine and feces if he's lucky.

oyarde
05-21-2012, 11:38 AM
I like it , shows inititive and resourcefulness ,but , Angelatc could be right , :)

Matt Collins
05-21-2012, 11:39 AM
Not the most effective use of time. And it's sort of embarrassing to support a campaign that makes it's lower level staffers dig through dumpsters to furnish offices. I love the concept of saving money with used furniture, but dumpster diving isn't professional.Again, you don't know what you are talking about. Pulling furniture out of the dumpster was a much quicker and cheaper use of time than going out shopping for stuff.

But we've all come to learn from you, the eternal critic, is that all you want to do is criticize. Your detraction really gets old and tiresome.

Matt Collins
05-21-2012, 11:39 AM
Don't tell me you slept on that bed Collins. Probably pre-covered in urine and feces.LOL, no I brought my own bed.

Bastiat's The Law
05-21-2012, 11:47 AM
LOL, no I brought my own bed.
Was it hobbit-sized?

Carlybee
05-21-2012, 12:16 PM
Yikes I would be scared of getting bedbugs! (or maybe it's too cold in Minnesota for them)

kathy88
05-21-2012, 12:17 PM
This just in:

Ron Paul sends staffers dumpster diving to furnish offices. Campaign broke.

Carlybee
05-21-2012, 12:19 PM
This just in:

Ron Paul sends staffers dumpster diving to furnish offices. Campaign broke.

via Politico

MelissaCato
05-21-2012, 12:24 PM
I dumpster dive for plants. :cool:

Alot of people throw away plants they think are dead .. all they need is TLC - I saved alot of plants outta the dumpsters over the years. Some of my dumpster plants are the nicest looking aged plants I have. Why people would throw away 10-20 year old plants because they went dormant for one reason or another is beyond me.

I love my plants. LOL

Paul Fan
05-21-2012, 01:00 PM
Dumpster furniture is cheap and good value. I'm glad to see that the Ron Paul campaign knows how to be thrifty with my contributions.

nobody's_hero
05-21-2012, 01:01 PM
Oh my Melissa you tree-hugger!

(I'm just joking, that's actually kind of interesting. You probably pulled some of my plants out of a dumpster somewhere. I swear, couldn't grow even mold if I tried (mold is not a plant, again, that's a joke))

Matt Collins
05-21-2012, 05:11 PM
This just in:

Ron Paul sends staffers dumpster diving to furnish offices. Campaign broke.ha ha ha... no this was done early on in the Campaign.

notsure
05-21-2012, 07:33 PM
You know these are tweeted.?

RonRules
05-21-2012, 07:36 PM
Be sure to dumpster dive after EVERY state convention.

Thanks for doing a thankless job.

PattyFromTexas
05-21-2012, 08:16 PM
Maybe it's not "professional" but it's something EVERYONE can understand. When my hubby and I were broke and just starting out we did the exact same thing. In fact I bet MOST people have done something similar at some point.

porchdog
05-21-2012, 08:16 PM
I love your avatar, way cool....

RonRules
05-21-2012, 08:44 PM
I love your avatar, way cool....

I presume you're referring to my avatar. I'm presumptuous that way.

Since you're new here, there's a very specific reason for it. It refers to the Vote Flipping controversy that we have discussed on this forum for about two months. We've produced about 4-5 threads that became so long that we had to start new, clean threads.

You are welcome to join the discussion here:
http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?369316-The-case-for-the-occurence-of-algorithmic-vote-flipping

Matt Davidson
05-21-2012, 08:56 PM
The guy in the hoodie is diving. The guy in the argyle is a poser... No one wears argyle to go diving.

TRIGRHAPPY
05-21-2012, 09:53 PM

Are you kidding me? One moneybomb and the Paul white house would have some balla ass furniture.

Lishy
05-21-2012, 09:56 PM
The dude on the left with the vest makes even Santorum look insignificant in comparison! (And let's be honest here, no matter how much you hate Santorum, he was a nice dresser...)

The Paul campaign merchandise needs more vests! They're so stylish!!!

Although am I the only one who hates Dumpster Driving? If it's still on my property, you have no right to take it unless I put a sign saying so!

Or am I thinking of something else? I'm talking those people who jack my stuff I leave on my yard, and later I change my mind and want it back! :mad:

hard@work
05-21-2012, 09:58 PM
Again, you don't know what you are talking about. Pulling furniture out of the dumpster was a much quicker and cheaper use of time than going out shopping for stuff.

But we've all come to learn from you, the eternal critic, is that all you want to do is criticize. Your detraction really gets old and tiresome.

Brilliant defense!

Your personal vendetta(s) aside, it's still a really good point. Freeganism isn't even something that shows up in hot topics. A wise move? Sure, whatever. Posting a picture that a Romney operative can take advantage of ... ?

I can see the mocking captions at redstate already.

TruckinMike
05-22-2012, 02:07 AM
Maybe it's not "professional" but it's something EVERYONE can understand. When my hubby and I were broke and just starting out we did the exact same thing. In fact I bet MOST people have done something similar at some point.Rugged individualism at its best! And Welcome to the forum Patty.:)

Tyler_Durden
05-22-2012, 08:49 AM
Nobody stands on the edge of a dumpster with their hands on their hips....

drummergirl
05-22-2012, 08:54 AM
I'm not sure why you wouldn't do that to save money. Especially in this economy, there are tons of good buys in the resale shops. Plus, if you are moving into an office space, odds are someone else recently moved out. Lots of people just ditch stuff they don't want to bother moving. It takes about 2 minutes to look and see if there is anything useful.

But always buy a mattress new ;)

jmdrake
05-22-2012, 08:56 AM
I thought this was going to be a joke thread. :eek:

http://static.fjcdn.com/comments/Ah+yes...+lol+d+with+it+the+first+time+I+saw+_a184 63592b666967004d118b939cbd79.jpg

jmdrake
05-22-2012, 10:15 AM
//

jmdrake
05-22-2012, 10:30 AM
The dude on the left with the vest makes even Santorum look insignificant in comparison! (And let's be honest here, no matter how much you hate Santorum, he was a nice dresser...)

The Paul campaign merchandise needs more vests! They're so stylish!!!

Although am I the only one who hates Dumpster Driving? If it's still on my property, you have no right to take it unless I put a sign saying so!

Or am I thinking of something else? I'm talking those people who jack my stuff I leave on my yard, and later I change my mind and want it back! :mad:

Ummmm....putting something in a dumpster is pretty much the same thing as saying you don't want it anymore and total strangers are free to take it away. In a stateless society dumpster divers would be saving you money assuming that private trash pickup charged you by volume instead of a flat rate. Side note, I hate the fact that our local municipal collection site doesn't allow dumpster diving or even pickup up loose useful item. I've seen so many perfectly good bikes thrown away it makes me sick! Plus Casio keyboards, wheelbarrows, lawnmowers etc.

dannno
05-22-2012, 10:52 AM
Not the most effective use of time. And it's sort of embarrassing to support a campaign that makes it's lower level staffers dig through dumpsters to furnish offices. I love the concept of saving money with used furniture, but dumpster diving isn't professional.

lol

Lishy
05-22-2012, 10:55 AM
Ummmm....putting something in a dumpster is pretty much the same thing as saying you don't want it anymore and total strangers are free to take it away. In a stateless society dumpster divers would be saving you money assuming that private trash pickup charged you by volume instead of a flat rate. Side note, I hate the fact that our local municipal collection site doesn't allow dumpster diving or even pickup up loose useful item. I've seen so many perfectly good bikes thrown away it makes me sick! Plus Casio keyboards, wheelbarrows, lawnmowers etc.

What if my items are not in a dumpster? What if it's simply on my yard for a few moments? Is that "Dumpster Diving"? I call it theft...

Whenever my family dumpster dives, we always ask the owners first!

jmdrake
05-22-2012, 10:58 AM
What if my items are not in a dumpster? What if it's simply on my yard for a few moments? Is that "Dumpster Diving"? I call it theft...

It can't be "dumpster diving" if there is no dumpster. ;) But question. When you put it out there were you putting it there to be picked up by the city? If yes, then would you be upset if the city came by before you were expecting it and picked the stuff up and took it to the dump would you be upset?

Carlybee
05-22-2012, 11:00 AM
Think of it as creative recycling....helps not fill the dumpground.

pen_thief
05-22-2012, 11:08 AM
You can do amazing things with used furniture. In fact, I think it's one of the best way to get unique pieces that add some flair to your home/office. :D
http://www.cooklikeachampionblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/dresser-collage(pp_w480_h458).png
http://powdercoatingjacksonville.com/wp-content/uploads/furniture-before-after-2.jpg
http://www.simplysalvage.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/Before-and-After-Paint-Furniture.jpg

libertarian4321
05-22-2012, 04:50 PM
Not the most effective use of time.

What?

How the Hell is going behind the building and grabbing free stuff a worse use of time than having to go off site and buy the stuff? Seems like a time-saving move to me, to say nothing of saving money.

People in the USA are wasteful- they throw out all kinds of good stuff- why let it go to waste?

And it's sort of embarrassing to support a campaign that makes it's lower level staffers dig through dumpsters to furnish offices.

I doubt anyone "made them" do it. These aren't Romney "volunteers" that need to be paid just to show up.

I suspect they saw a need, figured out a solution, took the initiative and just got it done.

I love the concept of saving money with used furniture, but dumpster diving isn't professional.

These are campaign volunteers, not $3,000 suit wearing lobbyists.

So who cares whether it "looks professional" or not?

I think they were smart to do this. Every dollar not spent on chairs is a dollar that can be put to effective use.

Frankly, I find your post ridiculous.

libertarian4321
05-22-2012, 05:02 PM
Not the most effective use of time.

What?

How the Hell is going behind the building and grabbing free stuff a worse use of time than having to go off site and buy the stuff? Seems like a time-saving move to me, to say nothing of saving money.

People in the USA are wasteful- they throw out all kinds of good stuff- why let it go to waste?

And it's sort of embarrassing to support a campaign that makes it's lower level staffers dig through dumpsters to furnish offices.

I doubt anyone "made them" do it. These aren't Romney "volunteers" that need to be paid just to show up.

I suspect they saw a need, figured out a solution, took the initiative and just got it done.

I love the concept of saving money with used furniture, but dumpster diving isn't professional.

I think they were smart to do this. Every dollar not spent on chairs is a dollar that can be put to effective use.

Frankly, I find your post ridiculous.

Matt Collins
05-22-2012, 06:01 PM
What?

Frankly, I find your post ridiculous.She just hates me and anything I post and all she does is attack me. Don't pay any attention to her, it's not worth your time as she is completely irrational.

Matt Collins
05-22-2012, 06:14 PM
Posting a picture that a Romney operative can take advantage of ... ?

I can see the mocking captions at redstate already.It shows that we're frugal. Being attacked for frugality would be a good thing. :)

Matt Collins
05-22-2012, 06:15 PM

Nobody stands on the edge of a dumpster with their hands on their hips....
The guy in the hoodie is diving. The guy in the argyle is a poser... No one wears argyle to go diving.lolz, you would have to know these two guys. The one in the vest is very prim and proper, and he was scouting the goods while the other was chasing it. ;)

Lishy
05-22-2012, 07:08 PM
lolz, you would have to know these two guys. The one in the vest is very prim and proper, and he was scouting the goods while the other was chasing it. ;)

Nope. I just want a Sweater Vest Ron Paul merch!

presence
03-18-2013, 07:23 PM
dumpster diving isn't professional

dannno is toting that one in his signature... I had to see if it was true

lol

William Tell
07-30-2014, 09:35 AM
dannno is toting that one in his signature... I had to see if it was true

lol

Lol, me too, good stuff.:cool:

Matt Collins
07-30-2014, 10:26 AM
There was an article somewhere about how frugal our campaign was...

Meals in January gobbled up about $64,400 of Paul’s campaign stash, although the grub was hardly gourmet: Standard fast food joints from McDonald’s and Burger Kind to the slightly less traditional Smash Burger of Ankeny, Iowa, and Zombie Burger of Des Moines, Iowa, pepper Paul’s report.

Paul’s staffers have a particular hunger for Papa John’s pizza, which in January made more than $2,100 off the campaign across eight states.

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0212/73096.html#ixzz1mzHHdsc7