PDA

View Full Version : POLITICO -- Ron Paul Backers Continue 2012 Revolution

HOLLYWOOD
05-19-2012, 05:59 AM
http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0512/76505.html (http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0512/76505.html)

Ron Paul backers continue 2012 revolution

http://images.politico.com/global/2012/05/120518_ron_paul_fans_ap_605.jpg
Dedicated Paul supporters are poised to take control of the movement he sparked. | AP Photo
By MAGGIE HABERMAN (http://www.politico.com/reporters/MaggieHaberman.html) and EMILY SCHULTHEIS (http://www.politico.com/reporters/EmilySchultheis.html) | 5/19/12 6:59 AM EDT

Ron Paul (http://www.politico.com/tag/ronpaul) started what his supporters call a revolution. Now, that revolution is threatening to march on without him.
Despite suspending (http://www.politico.com//blogs/charlie-mahtesian/2012/05/paul-i-cant-win-the-gop-nomination-123491.html) active campaigning this week in upcoming primary states, Paul went to Minnesota on Friday night to deliver a speech before the state’s Republican convention as it chooses its delegates to the national one in Tampa this summer. The Minnesota meeting is just one in a string of state party conventions that have seen the Texas congressman’s backers infiltrate their top ranks and nab delegates.

In what amounts to public pleading with his passionate supporters (http://www.politico.com//blogs/charlie-mahtesian/2012/05/paul-backers-debate-his-statement-123422.html), Paul’s campaign has made clear that he wants them to tamp down the rhetoric, and to be respectful of Mitt Romney at the national convention in August when Romney is crowned the GOP nominee. That isn’t sitting well with some Paulites, who have made their anger clear on message boards and in videos over the past week.
(PHOTOS: Ron Paul (http://www.politico.com/gallery/2012/05/photos-ron-paul/000135-001622.html))

The question for Paul now is whether the movement he sparked will overtake him.

Since Paul effectively declared the end of his campaign, missives posted on the fan page DailyPaul.com have been brutal about Paul national campaign chairman Jesse Benton, who declared, to some supporters’ disgust, that the retiring congressman simply can’t mathematically secure the GOP nomination. Benton has pleaded for “decorum” from Paul’s notoriously raucous backers, who drowned out Dick Cheney with boos at CPAC in 2010 and greeted Josh Romney with similar disdain at the Arizona convention last weekend.
“Jesse acknowledges we have stealth Ron Paul supporters among the Romney delegates,” wrote one supporter on the DailyPaul.com, whose cyber-handle is Bob-45. “He knows delegates can abstain or may even be unbound. This chops the legs off the Ron Paul campaign at a critical juncture. I no longer have any confidence in Jesse Benton; and, if Ron Paul keeps him after this, I will have lost a great deal of confidence in Ron Paul.”

Adam Kokesh, a radio host and head of Veterans for Ron Paul, went further in a web video this week, first reported by BuzzFeed, in which he said, “It’s been extremely disappointing to see that the official campaign — Jesse Benton, John Tate — have failed to contest this with the Republican Party. We didn’t come here to play nice.”

Kokesh, who the campaign was once close to but says it’s split from, urges Paulites to convince delegates to flip at the national convention.

But a more likely form of protest is likely to come from Paulites like Ashley Ryan, a Maine committee-woman elect who will be a national convention delegate. She says she believes that Paul can still win the GOP nomination.
“We’re all registered Republicans, we kind of just outmaneuvered them … we played their game and we played it better,” Ryan said. “Because we have been continuing to win the majority of delegates in a lot of states, I think there’s still a good chance that Dr. Paul will be the nominee. If he’s not, I would hope the Romney campaign would at least recognize that the Paul campaign does have a huge amount of support and [that] if the Romney campaign does want to continue governing … we do need to take a look at the platform.”

Ryan is referring to the fact that at the Paul’s campaign’s urging, Paulites have been attending state conventions and attempting to steal bound and unbound delegates from Romney, and other former GOP candidates, that will then go to the national convention in Tampa this summer. It’s a message Paul has been preaching since he started his presidential run and has not changed since the Texas congressman effectively dropped out of the race this week, saying he wouldn’t spend money in any states yet to hold their primaries.
But Paul and his senior staff made clear they don’t condone any violence or disruptions such as those that have taken place recently at places like the Nevada state GOP convention. There have also been a string of departures from the Iowa Republican Party because of an influx of Paul forces.

Al Gerhart, former state director for Paul in Oklahoma, said he witnessed open brawling at the melee-infused Oklahama state GOP convention last weekend. He says that Paul fans he knows would like nothing less than a “brokered convention” that would give them significant influence in a Romney administration.

“Maybe about five to six rows, 10 rows directly in front of me, an altercation occurred,” said Gerhart. “There were a couple of instances where people were dumping trash with food scraps on top of the Ron Paul supporters. It was ugly.”
But Paul supporters chafe at the idea that they are the instigators at conventions that are now getting national headlines for being unruly.

“[It] wasn’t necessarily on the Ron Paul side,” Gerhart said. “The Paul folks, they were passionate, certainly try to drag things out to get some points across, but just not the kind of people who would use violence. Most of them, when they see something like this they get uncomfortable. [The] whole convention was such a mess.”

Paul’s Arizona state director Shawn Dow was more blunt about the outcome in his state: “Team Romney that was at the convention on Saturday — they were just like little vicious pit bulls attacking at every opportunity they could.”

Benton, on a conference call with reporters earlier this week, made it clear what a careful line the campaign is walking right now between sympathy for Paul’s supporters, who are part of the only movement that materialized this cycle on the Republican side in the presidential race, and deference to Romney.

“What we learned this past weekend is that our supporters are going to get an excessive amount of blame for problems that arise in heated moments at conventions, and state conventions are in particular known for heated moments, and our supporters are going to get much more than they deserve when it comes to blame for any kind of [problems],” he said. “So, we’re going to emphasize that our people really need to emphasize respect and civility.”

Paul is not ending his campaign, but nor is he campaigning, a political netherworld that is tolerated because of the size of his support, and the GOP’s recognition that it needs all the grassroots help it can get.
There wouldn’t likely be an endorsement of Romney by the candidate, Benton said. But they’ve had “a very civil, professional, genteel relationship.”

The Paul supporters have a simple ask for the Tampa convention, Gerhart said: “A brokered convention. They want basically some say in how the Romney administration runs things, and that’s how it works. Following the process Ronald Reagan used …The GOP has got to make up their mind about whether they want to drive the Ron Paul people off, or they want to bring them in. They need to treat them with respect and that was not done on Saturday [in Oklahoma].”
All of this raises the question: How can Paul, whose interests are believed to lie not just with his small-government message but with his son Sen. Rand Paul’s national ambitions, keep his supporters engaged, without unleashing them on Romney?
“We have been trying to make clear to them and all Republican candidates,” said a Paul campaign source, that his main concern is how his rivals “approach a long-term effort to win the battles of ideas.”

That “battle of ideas” will play out at the convention, where a number of Paul-affiliated delegates are hoping to get on the platform committee.
And several state activists insist things are simply not that bad. They say that the delegates who will be headed to Tampa either are well-trained, or simply know better than to stir the pot in ways that would reflect poorly on everyone else.
“Our people are respectful, they are courteous they are level-headed,” said Dow. “The innuendos that Ron Paul people are rude and nasty, it’s just not true. That’s just the opponents trying to make their opponents look bad.”

Dow added, “Most of us that have been working so hard for Dr. Paul have been doing this since 2007 so we’re already in leadership positions — state committeemen, county chairmen. We’re already there — now it’s taking to the next step. If we can just get enough of our people to run for those offices, it’s pretty much — the GOP will go back to its roots. It will be a limited government party again. It will be the party of the individual liberty.”

Maine committee-woman Ryan said, she expected people would be calm when the time comes to go to Tampa.
“I know that the Ron Paul movement tends to have the appearance of the hippie libertarians, the tie-dye T-shirts instead of the red ties, but I think all of our delegates we elected, in Maine at least, we all conducted ourselves very professionally, were all very thoroughly vetted.”

She added: “We all prepared well for the Maine state convention and most of the Ron Paul delegates are dressed very well, most of us had suits and ties and button-down shirts…We need to continue to grow the party and if we want to further the movement of liberty we need to conduct ourselves professionally.”

FriedChicken
05-19-2012, 06:19 AM
Hopefully Ron Paul supporters will read this and get back in the game. And hopefully everyone else won't read it at all.

anewvoice
05-19-2012, 06:27 AM
Dumping trash/food on the Ron Paul supporters, that's high class right there.

kathy88
05-19-2012, 06:56 AM
Dumping trash/food on the Ron Paul supporters, that's high class right there.

Amazing how the "older" Republicans act like children when they do not get their way.

HOLLYWOOD
05-19-2012, 07:26 AM
Amazing how the "older" Republicans act like children when they do not get their way.They don't like change. They've been conditioned and brainwashed by media and are too ignorant or lazy to take the time out to investigate how the illusion of the parties and government truly operate. Yes, there are plenty of spineless snakes out for power and glory too.

speciallyblend
05-19-2012, 07:35 AM
that just re affirms the campaign seems to be losing their balls. sigh hopefully they have some detachable balls and the real ones are dropping now and growing. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDss8V2OME4<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDss8V2OME4">
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDss8V2OME4 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDss8V2OME4)

Badger Paul
05-19-2012, 07:40 AM
"They don't like change."

Nor do they like having their little private club open its doors to the "riff-raff" But it's their fault, ultimately if they had kept their promises over the years there wouldn't be a Ron Paul movement.

sailingaway
05-19-2012, 08:57 AM
Amazing how the "older" Republicans act like children when they do not get their way.

those were the ones punching our guys too, who didn't hit back, and the media said 'fistfights' broke out, which implies at minimum fighting on both sides, and when added to all sorts of color about how we are 'known to be disruptive' absolutely gave the widespread impression we caused it.

Carlybee
05-19-2012, 09:27 AM
Which is why you can't really play the game. That being said despite the spin, that article pretty much explains things I didnt get from the emails.

sailingaway
05-19-2012, 09:29 AM
Which is why you can't really play the game. That being said despite the spin, that article pretty much explains things I didnt get from the emails.

If you can trust it. They have their way of putting words together that don't belong together, I have noticed in the past.

No1butPaul
05-19-2012, 09:59 AM
Not on the list, but our comments to whatever they (see list below) publish on-line should remind readers of the following:

Mitt Romney had a secret meeting with right-wing bloggers in an attempt to get them to back his presidential campaign.

Huffington Post reports that representatives from outlets like “National Review, Daily Caller, American Spectator, Washington Examiner, Right Wing News, Powerline, Townhall, Ace of Spades, Rhiel World View, White House Dossier, and Pajamas Media” were in attendance.

Romney met the bloggers at a private club in Washington, D.C. According to attendees Romney complained about coverage of his campaign from the mainstream press. A study recently showed Romney has received the lions share of positive press so far in the 2012 campaign, exceeding President Obama.

Carlybee
05-19-2012, 10:10 AM
If you can trust it. They have their way of putting words together that don't belong together, I have noticed in the past.

True...taken with a grain of salt that probably contains some grains of truth.

DamianTV
05-19-2012, 10:47 AM
Hopefully Ron Paul supporters will read this and get back in the game. And hopefully everyone else won't read it at all.

Hopefully, they never stopped supporting Ron Paul to begin with!

libertygrl
05-19-2012, 12:06 PM

Even worse at times! Some of those seniors can get really vicious as we have seen regarding the one who attacked a Paul supporter.

As a precinct leader for the first time back in '08, I had all my Paul signs leading up to the precint stolen, then one of McCain's people called security to say that me and my Dad were causing trouble. (Just standing outside handing out brochues within our legal rights) That was my first baptism into Politics. It's shocking how some adults treat one another. They complain about today's youth, but they're not exactly setting a good example. When they said politics is dirty, they weren't kidding! When you've personally experienced the dirty tricks going on it makes you want to go home and take a shower to wash all the stench off! :D

kathy88
05-19-2012, 01:28 PM
Even worse at times! Some of those seniors can get really vicious as we have seen regarding the one who attacked a Paul supporter.

As a precinct leader for the first time back in '08, I had all my Paul signs leading up to the precint stolen, then one of McCain's people called security to say that me and my Dad were causing trouble. (Just standing outside handing out brochues within our legal rights) That was my first baptism into Politics. It's shocking how some adults treat one another. They complain about today's youth, but they're not exactly setting a good example. When they said politics is dirty, they weren't kidding! When you've personally experienced the dirty tricks going on it makes you want to go home and take a shower to wash all the stench off! :D

I took my kids out campaigning this year too. Good for your dad!!! My son just turned 18 and got to vote for Ron. He was thrilled.

HOLLYWOOD
05-19-2012, 04:37 PM
If you can trust it. They have their way of putting words together that don't belong together, I have noticed in the past. I've gotta dig up that video of Jim VandeHei, who's the executive editor of POLITICO. This guy hates Ron Paul, supporters, the Movement, and every chance he gets on CNN and MSNBC trashes it.
Especially one from Dec 15-20 2011, when he went on a Paul hate spree on MSM TV. Doing everything from keeping RP from winning IOWA. Oh and we know "the assist" from the other Fascists over @ FAUX NEWS/Sean Hannity etc etc.

BKom
05-19-2012, 08:01 PM
I see they mention disruption and violence at the NV state convention. In fact, there was none of either. What the hell is Politico talking about? Four years ago the McCain people caused a disruption, but this convention went on a long time, yet there was no violence or disruption. There was only incompetence on the part of the Romney people who F'd up the credentials and neglected to print up (blank) delegate ballots ahead of time.