PDA

View Full Version : NFL Spends On Washington Lobbyists For Drone Planes

extrmmxer
05-18-2012, 06:15 PM
I was a huge NFL fan!

http://www.thepostgame.com/blog/dish/201205/nfl-spends-big-washington-lobbyists-drones-planes

phill4paul
05-18-2012, 06:26 PM
Booya!

Drones will now be a part of everyday life.

How long before they fly banners behind them down your favourite beach saying 'See something? Say something."

cstarace
05-18-2012, 06:27 PM
Looks like I won't be watching a single football game this year. Again.

juvanya
05-19-2012, 02:34 AM
Good, maybe NFL will drop in support and NHL/MLS (much better and actual sports) will gain. :)

Occam's Banana
05-19-2012, 02:53 AM
So, basically ... the NFL lanistae (http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/lanista#Latin) are working to further the exhaltation of the power & glory of the United States Rome.

Why is this not surprising?

Copenhagen
05-19-2012, 03:10 AM
Looks like I won't be watching a single football game this year. Again.

No UFC for me. Unless they put corrupt congressmen in the ring.:D I was very surprised to see them rank 3rd in spending for lobbyists.

John F Kennedy III
05-19-2012, 03:18 AM
The NFL has become so sissyfied. I understand how so many people are as into as they are. Going to every game, buying tons of merchandise, arguing about teams as if it's life and death. These things would've been more understandable back in the 90s even. God I miss real football.

And just the the TSA type security at the stadiums, this won't deter anyone. Though it definitely should.

John F Kennedy III
05-19-2012, 03:18 AM
No UFC for me. Unless they put corrupt congressmen in the ring.:D I was very surprised to see them rank 3rd in spending for lobbyists.

Why no UFC?

jkr
05-19-2012, 04:48 AM
yet ANOTHER gr8 reason to h6 the NFuckL

btwilli1
05-19-2012, 06:16 AM
Who Dat!! I've got $100 on each of your heads!!! You know the Saints will be the first team to win the superbowl in their own city. I'll be there or i'll be dead. Can't wait for football season. Some things you just have to look past.

steph3n
05-19-2012, 06:28 AM
I knew there was a reason I hated the NFL.

the TSA style searches don't bring any favors either!

airborne373
05-19-2012, 07:10 AM
I drove a limo years ago for part time money. Drove lots and lots of NFL players and others associated with the NFL & NASCAR. Many are OK and decent enough, however a large percentage where coke heads and and child predators. I say F the NFL & NASCAR. May they die a slow painful death.

Anti Federalist
05-19-2012, 01:46 PM
I give you the Coliseum Maximus!

Are you not entertained?

NFL Spends On Washington Lobbyists For Drone Planes

http://www.thepostgame.com/blog/dish/201205/nfl-spends-big-washington-lobbyists-drones-planes

If you follow sports, at some point you've heard your favorite athlete or coach drop the "it's a business" cliche. Generally fans find this annoying, but there is no denying the truth in the statement.

When moving into the Oval Office in 2009, President Obama ordered new lobbyist rules to try to control their influence in Washington, D.C.

But it's not just Google and Apple spending truckloads of legal tender to gain political favor. Big-time American professional sports leagues have moved into the seedy underworld of Beltway backroom dealing.

Interestingly, the National Football League led the way among sports lobby groups with more $1.6 million spent in 2011 on internal lobbyists and four outside lobby shops. First Street Research reports the NFL attempted to gain political favor on player safety, drug testing, broadcasting and even Internet gambling.

Furthermore, the NFL concentrated on the Federal Aviation Administration to reauthorize the use of drones in U.S. airspace. Unmanned aircraft did fly over Lucas Oil Stadium in Indianapolis as the Giants beat the Patriots in the Super Bowl (for security reasons).

Major League Baseball, at $520,000 in 2011, was the second biggest spender among major sports organizations on lobbyists. Bud Selig's lawyers lobbied to protect the cash cow that is MLB.com with Internet piracy rules. In addition, mental health programs for veterans and stadium safety received attention, according to First Street Research.

The NBA spent just $85,000 on lobbyists, which ranked 11th among sports leagues, while the NHL stays away from Capitol Hill, spending less than $5,000 to gain political favor in the past year.

Dana White's Ultimate Fighting Championship was a surprising third in spending for 2011, behind only the big boys from the NFL and MLB.

The popular mixed martial arts organization invested $410,000 on political lobbyists.

During the first quarter of 2012, the UFC has spent $110k, second only to the NFL when it comes to shelling out for Washington lobbyists.