PDA

View Full Version : Congressmen Seek To Lift Propaganda Ban

Noob
05-18-2012, 05:56 PM
An amendment that would legalize the use of propaganda on American audiences is being inserted into the latest defense authorization bill, BuzzFeed has learned.

The amendment would “strike the current ban on domestic dissemination” of propaganda material produced by the State Department and the Pentagon, according to the summary of the law at the House Rules Committee's official website.

The tweak to the bill would essentially neutralize two previous acts—the Smith-Mundt Act of 1948 and Foreign Relations Authorization Act in 1987—that had been passed to protect U.S. audiences from our own government’s misinformation campaigns.

The bi-partisan amendment is sponsored by Rep. Mark Thornberry from Texas and Rep. Adam Smith from Washington State.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/mhastings/congressmen-seek-to-lift-propaganda-ban

James Madison
05-18-2012, 05:59 PM
Have to get the population prepared for WW3.

Noob
05-18-2012, 06:06 PM
With this I am sure they use it to push global warming propaganda as well.

Uncle Emanuel Watkins
05-18-2012, 06:06 PM
An amendment that would legalize the use of propaganda on American audiences is being inserted into the latest defense authorization bill, BuzzFeed has learned.

The amendment would “strike the current ban on domestic dissemination” of propaganda material produced by the State Department and the Pentagon, according to the summary of the law at the House Rules Committee's official website.

The tweak to the bill would essentially neutralize two previous acts—the Smith-Mundt Act of 1948 and Foreign Relations Authorization Act in 1987—that had been passed to protect U.S. audiences from our own government’s misinformation campaigns.

The bi-partisan amendment is sponsored by Rep. Mark Thornberry from Texas and Rep. Adam Smith from Washington State.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/mhastings/congressmen-seek-to-lift-propaganda-ban

What? Did someone invent telling us the truth recently? I thought it was all propaganda?

Domalais
05-18-2012, 06:11 PM
What? Did someone invent telling us the truth recently? I thought it was all propaganda?

At the moment, the only members of the government legally able to run disinfo campaigns are politicians.

ronpaulfollower999
05-18-2012, 06:12 PM
I never realize it was banned to begin with..

QuickZ06
05-18-2012, 06:13 PM
When did propaganda ever stop?

kill the banks
05-18-2012, 06:15 PM
I'm just :eek:

Lishy
05-18-2012, 07:05 PM
It was banned to begin with?

Also, why is this justified?

economics102
05-18-2012, 07:26 PM
Wait, the SAME GUY who authored the Amash-Smith amendment attempting to stop the NDAA's indefinite attention clause wants to let the USG engage in domestic propaganda campaigns?????

Sam I am
05-18-2012, 07:30 PM
Since is when propaganda banned? or even rare for that matter

Anti Federalist
05-18-2012, 08:55 PM
Wait, the SAME GUY who authored the Amash-Smith amendment attempting to stop the NDAA's indefinite attention clause wants to let the USG engage in domestic propaganda campaigns?????

Smoke and mirrors.

Or what's called in politics "compromise".

And while we're dancing from one foot to the other trying to figure how to put the brakes on this shit, the system routinely laterals right around us and runs all the way down field for the score.

While we stand 80 yards back and wonder just what the fuck happened.

Kluge
05-18-2012, 09:18 PM
Smoke and mirrors.

And while we're dancing from one foot to the other trying to figure how to put the brakes on this shit, the system routinely laterals right around us and runs all the way down field for the score.

Pelosi is one of the masters.

PierzStyx
05-18-2012, 10:04 PM
Pelosi is one of the masters.

There simply aren't enough bad things I could possibly ever say about her. So I won't start.

Texan4Life
05-18-2012, 10:08 PM
When did propaganda ever stop?

+1

Xhin
05-19-2012, 03:03 AM
Smoke and mirrors.

Well, considering one of the co-sponsors of the NDAA was the guy who was appalled that the UN controls US military action (and may or may not *inform* congress that they've taken action), I'd definitely go with "smoke and mirrors" on this one too.

Xhin
05-19-2012, 03:04 AM
"According to this official, “senior public affairs” officers within the Department of Defense want to “get rid” of Smith-Mundt and other restrictions because it prevents information activities designed to prop up unpopular policies—like the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan."

Wow, that's pretty blatant.

Philhelm
05-19-2012, 09:00 AM
Tyrannical governments always legalize their misdeeds. What's worse, is that way too many people equate the law with morality.

Cowlesy
05-19-2012, 09:23 AM
Mac Thornberry, no surprise there. He's a Best Friend of Defence Contractors and the Pentagon.

Danke
05-19-2012, 09:40 AM
Does this mean I now won't be able to trust everything that comes out of Washington?

kcchiefs6465
05-19-2012, 10:58 AM
The Pentagon spends some $4 billion a year to sway public opinion already, and it was recently revealed by USA Today the DoD spent $202 million on information operations in Iraq and Afghanistan last year.
:eek: :(

CaptainAmerica
05-19-2012, 10:59 AM
I just can't wait to see the "See something report it,your country is at war" posters.

FindLiberty
05-19-2012, 11:29 AM
Waiting for the fine print within this defense authorization bill amendment to be disclosed:

Speaking the truth about anything (or exposing their propaganda) will now be punishable by military tribunal... ???

Anti Federalist
05-19-2012, 11:48 AM
I just can't wait to see the "See something report it,your country is at war" posters.

These aren't close enough?

http://www.police.gatech.edu/images/ep/see_something.jpg

Anti Federalist
05-19-2012, 11:49 AM
"According to this official, “senior public affairs” officers within the Department of Defense want to “get rid” of Smith-Mundt and other restrictions because it prevents information activities designed to prop up unpopular policies—like the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan."

Wow, that's pretty blatant.

Yeah, it's pretty obvious now what we're dealing with.

They are no longer even going through the motions.

Anti Federalist
05-19-2012, 11:53 AM
Waiting for the fine print within this defense authorization bill amendment to be disclosed:

Speaking the truth about anything (or exposing their propaganda) will now be punishable by military tribunal... ???

+rep for a good point.

If not now, later.

Exposing, reducing the impact of, or maybe even just flatly refusing to believe the government propaganda will get you a "felony aiding and abetting terrorism" rap.

Outside, it's Amerika...

phill4paul
05-19-2012, 12:15 PM
Smoke and mirrors.

"In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: Not necessarily to Win, but mainly to keep from Losing Completely." Hunter S.

Lishy
05-19-2012, 12:24 PM
You know, just to play along with the charade, what exactly is their reason and excuse to lift a propaganda ban?

heavenlyboy34
05-19-2012, 12:28 PM
I never realize it was banned to begin with.. +1 As usual, that law has never stopped them. ;)

heavenlyboy34
05-19-2012, 12:30 PM
+rep for a good point.

If not now, later.

Exposing, reducing the impact of, or maybe even just flatly refusing to believe the government propaganda will get you a "felony aiding and abetting terrorism" rap.

Outside, it's Amerika...
Think of it as just strengthening the existing thoughtcrime and speechcrime laws. ;)

heavenlyboy34
05-19-2012, 12:31 PM
Does this mean I now won't be able to trust everything that comes out of Washington? lolz :D

timosman
11-09-2015, 11:48 AM
Bump. Propaganda is one of the things not affected by some kind of ban.