PDA

View Full Version : Help Pass Ron Paul's Signature Legislation - Audit the Fed JULY 24!! Go into RNC w/ this!

Pages : [1] 2

tsai3904
05-18-2012, 04:32 PM
Please contact your two Senators.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

August 3 Update:

There were two new cosponsors to S. 202 yesterday.

S. 202 - 27 Cosponsors

July 25 Update:

H.R. 459 passed the House today by a 327-98 vote.

http://clerk.house.gov/evs/2012/roll513.xml

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Audit the Fed Bills

There are TWO bills in Congress related to Audit the Fed.

One introduced in the House by Ron Paul (H.R. 459) and one introduced in the Senate by Rand Paul (S. 202).

The House passed H.R. 459 on July 25. The Senate now must pass S. 202.

Senate

S. 202

Federal Reserve Transparency Act of 2011

To require a full audit of the Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System and the Federal reserve banks by the Comptroller General of the United States before the end of 2012, and for other purposes.

Find out if your Senator is a cosponsor HERE (http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?377680-S.-202-Audit-the-Fed-Co-Sponsors).

If your Senator is not a cosponsor, urge them to co-sponsor S. 202 to audit the Federal Reserve. If your Senator is a cosponsor, thank them for their support.

Find contact information for your Senator HERE (http://www.senate.gov/general/contact_information/senators_cfm.cfm).

Why We Need a Full Audit

A one-time, limited Audit the Fed bill was passed in 2010 but it still prevented the Government Accountability Office (GAO) from conducting certain audits. The GAO is still prohibited from auditing:

1. Transactions for or with a foreign central bank, government of a foreign country, or nonprivate international financing organization

2. Deliberations, decisions, or actions on monetary policy matters, including discount window operations, reserves of member banks, securities credit, interest on deposits, and open market operations

3. Transactions made under the direction of the Federal Open Market Committee

Basically, the Fed is currently audited by outside agencies, BUT these are not thorough because they do not include audits of monetary policy decisions or agreements with foreign central banks and governments. Also, all of the Fed's emergency activities during the financial crisis up to July 21, 2010, were audited one time only and will not be audited again unless these bills pass.

Audit the Fed FAQs (http://paul.house.gov/images/stories/Audit_the_Fed_FAQ.pdf) from the Office of Congressman Ron Paul

1. Why audit the Federal Reserve?

The Federal Reserve is an enormously destructive and unaccountable force in both the U.S. economy and the greater global economy. Federal Reserve policies affect average Americans far more than fiscal, spending, and tax policies legislated by Congress; indeed the Fed “spends” more than Congress when it creates trillions of new dollars on its balance sheet to bail out favored financial institutions.

For several decades the Fed has relentlessly increased the supply of U.S. dollars (both real and electronic) and kept interest rates artificially low. These monetary policies punish thrift, erode the value of savings, and harm older Americans living on fixed incomes. The Fed’s expansion of the money supply, combined with artificially low interest rates, creates terribly destructive cycles of malinvestment. This malinvestment results in housing, stock market, and employment booms and busts that destroy lives.

While the Fed was created by Congress, current law prohibits Congress from fully auditing the Fed’s monetary policy actions—the Fed actions that impact Americans the most. An entity that controls the value and purchasing power of the dollar should not be permitted to operate in the dark without oversight by Congress and accountability to the people. H.R. 459 would bring much-needed transparency to the Fed by requiring a full audit.

2. Isn’t the Fed already audited?

No. The Fed's financial statements are audited annually, but the Fed's monetary policy operations are exempt from audit. Congress’ investigative arm, the Government Accountability Office (GAO), currently is prohibited by law from examining discount window and open market operations; agreements with foreign governments and central banks; and Federal Open Market Committee (FOMC) directives. It is precisely this information that should be made public. The American people must know how and why Fed officials expand the money supply and set interest rates. It is not enough for the Fed to provide just an updated balance sheet after crucial decisions and transactions have already occurred. H.R. 459 allows GAO to audit the Fed’s monetary policy operations and directs GAO to report the audit results to Congress.

3. Didn’t the Dodd-Frank financial reform legislation passed in 2010 mandate a Fed audit?

Yes, but not a full or substantive audit. The audit mandated in the Dodd-Frank Act focused solely on emergency credit programs, and only on procedural issues (such as the effectiveness of collateral policies, whether credit programs favored specific participants, or the use of third-party contractors) rather than focusing on the substantive details of the lending transactions. H.R. 459 does not limit the focus of the audit.

4. Hasn’t the Fed already published details of its emergency bank lending?

Yes, but only partially. The Fed was required by the Dodd-Frank Act to disclose data from its emergency credit lending programs created during the financial crisis. Most of the data on its other activities, such as open market operations and discount window lending, have only been published as a result of lawsuits—not because of Congressional action. Dodd-Frank requires this information to be disclosed going forward, but with a two year time lag and with GAO restricted to auditing only the procedural components of any programs. H.R. 459 grants GAO and Congress access without special exemptions and ensures that ALL of the Fed’s lending actions will be subject to oversight.

5. Doesn't an audit harm the Fed's independence?

Absolutely not. The Fed was created by Congress and remains subject to full oversight and regulation by Congress—up to and including abolishing it altogether! The Fed’s hyped “independence” is largely a myth created by Fed officials and its Wall Street/financial sector supporters who benefit from its lack of transparency. The Fed is independent from the Executive Branch (Treasury Department), but not from Congress. H.R 459 does not change or set monetary policy: it merely grants Congress retrospective access to the information used to determine and carry it out, so Congress can properly understand, oversee, and evaluate the Fed.

6. Don’t foreign transactions need to be exempt from a Fed audit?

No. Given the Fed's establishment of dollar swap agreements with foreign central banks (which lent up to $600 billion at a time in 2008), and the increasing economic uncertainty surrounding Spain, Greece and the European Union, the Fed's continued financial assistance to Europe should not be exempt from public accountability and Congressional oversight. H.R. 459 brings transparency to the Fed’s agreements with the European Central Bank and other foreign entities.

7. Is this bill the same bill as H.R. 1207, the Audit the Fed bill from last Congress?

Yes. Some technical changes had to be made to the language as a result of changes made by the Dodd-Frank Act to the underlying code.

tsai3904
05-21-2012, 10:10 AM
Rand Paul said on Facebook last week that he will be making a push to get the Senate to vote on his Audit the Fed bill.

We must do everything we can to get Ron Paul's signature piece of legislation passed in his last year in Congress.

Please take 5 minutes to contact your Congressman and both Senators regarding H.R. 459 and S. 202. Leave a message in this thread stating who you contacted for a +rep.

surf
05-21-2012, 10:56 AM
i emailed my guy. he cosponsored last year but is seemingly buried deep in the belly of the old school (very anti-RP) this time around.

bum doesn't even return messages. called his office last week and staffer took my email saying we'd get some type of response given the amount of NDAA Amash Smith calls he was getting. nothing, just another neocon vote that he won't have to explain to anyone.

wish we had a liberty candidate here, instead it looks like two neocons.

tsai3904
05-24-2012, 02:09 PM
Campaign for Liberty just sent out an email stating this:

Senator Rand Paul stands ready to force the issue in the Senate.

And Congressman Ron Paul has just a few short months left in the House to pass the legislative achievement of his lifetime.

Ron Paul has been introducing a bill to audit the Fed for decades. Can we not get more than one person to take 5 minutes out of their time and send an email to their Congressman and Senators and help Ron Paul pass his bill he's been wanting to see passed for decades?

tsai3904
05-25-2012, 01:59 PM
BIG UPDATE

The House has scheduled to vote on Ron Paul's bill to audit the Fed in JULY!

Rand Paul said last week that he is making a push to get the Senate to vote on the bill too.

PLEASE contact your Representative AND Senators. We actually need more help in the Senate where only 21% have co-sponsored. Only Utah has both Senators as co-sponsors. Everyone else has at least one Senator to contact.

Elwar
05-25-2012, 02:07 PM
When you call your rep. Tell him/her to vote against any amendments to the bill.

It became quite watered down last time.

sailingaway
05-25-2012, 02:10 PM
When you call your rep. Tell him/her to vote against any amendments to the bill.

It became quite watered down last time.

VERY good point.

Massachusetts
05-25-2012, 02:16 PM
Sent this to Senator Scott Brown in MA:

I am a Massachusetts voter, and a registered Republican. I urge you to sponsor the House bill H.R. 459. If you do not sponsor this bill, I will be forced to vote you out of office this November and vote for Elizabeth Warren or a third party candidate. That makes me sick to my stomach, but you leave me no choice. This is a make or break decision for me Senator Brown.

H.R. 459 will give Congress the power to audit the Federal Reserve. A 2010 partial audit revealed that the Federal Reserve went behind the backs of Congress and the American people to send $16 trillion to Europe. If you support this, then in my eyes you also support burning the constitution. I hope you will make the right decision.

By the way, I would never actually vote for Warren. Just playing hard ball :)

tsai3904
05-25-2012, 02:23 PM
Sent this to Senator Scott Brown in MA:

+rep

The Senate has its own version of the bill sponsored by Rand Paul (S 202). If you contact Scott Brown again, mention S 202. Don't forget to contact your Representative in the House and your other Senator too.

sailingaway
05-25-2012, 02:24 PM
I just sent emails to each of Berman, Boxer and Feinstein.

this was essentially the template (changed for bill number for Berman)

Dear Senator Feinstein,

I want to urge you to vote FOR S. 202 to fully audit the Federal Reserve which is expected to be brought to a vote this summer. The mini audit in the Dodd-Frank bill shed important light on transfers which ARE the people's business.

Please vote AGAINST any amendments to water this bill down, and vote for S. 202.

Thank you!

eleganz
05-25-2012, 02:29 PM
I just sent emails to each of Berman, Boxer and Feinstein.

this was essentially the template (changed for bill number for Berman)

Dear Senator Feinstein,

I want to urge you to vote FOR S. 202 to fully audit the Federal Reserve which is expected to be brought to a vote this summer. The mini audit in the Dodd-Frank bill shed important light on transfers which ARE the people's business.

Please vote AGAINST any amendments to water this bill down, and vote for S. 202.

Thank you!

What are the senators emails I will write too

jovasi
05-25-2012, 02:42 PM

Here you go.

http://www.senate.gov/general/contact_information/senators_cfm.cfm?State=IL

sailingaway
05-25-2012, 02:44 PM

you have to use their form.

Boxer: http://boxer.senate.gov/en/contact/policycomments.cfm

Feinstein: https://www.feinstein.senate.gov/public/index.cfm/e-mail-me

and you can get whoever your Rep is from here: http://house.gov/

put your zip code in the box at the upper right for 'Find your representative' then go to their contact link

tsai3904
05-25-2012, 03:26 PM
The House has 226 supporters on the record for Ron Paul's Audit the Fed bill. That's 52% of the House.

The Senate only has 21 supporters on the record for Rand's bill in the Senate. That's only 21% of the Senate.

We need to heavily pressure the Senators or else the House bill might get watered down again. Remember, the House passed Ron Paul's bill in 2010 but the Senate passed a weaker version which survived after conference. The Senate is the problem and needs to be of focus.

Massachusetts
05-25-2012, 03:28 PM
The House had 320 cosponsors in 2010, but 100+ Democrats jumped off board when the bill actually came to a vote. What the hell happened?

sailingaway
05-25-2012, 03:30 PM
The House has 226 supporters on the record for Ron Paul's Audit the Fed bill. That's 52% of the House.

The Senate only has 21 supporters on the record for Rand's bill in the Senate. That's only 21% of the Senate.

We need to heavily pressure the Senators or else the House bill might get watered down again. Remember, the House passed Ron Paul's bill in 2010 but the Senate passed a weaker version which survived after conference. The Senate is the problem and needs to be of focus.

Sanders was the sponsor and let them substitute watered down provisions for the Senate bill. Rand, one would expect, would not do that. But I agree, that is where the fight is.

tsai3904
The House had 320 cosponsors in 2010, but 100+ Democrats jumped off board when the bill actually came to a vote. What the hell happened?

There was never a clean vote for Ron Paul's bill in the House. It was voted on by a couple dozen Reps in the Financial Services Committee and then again before the entire House as a procedural move right before Dodd-Frank was going to pass. A lot of Reps always vote with their party on procedural moves so that's why you'll see references to the 100+ Democrats voting against it.

sailingaway

Obama came out against it, and lobbied against it, massively.

tsai3904
05-29-2012, 04:53 PM
Keep up the pressure by contacting your Congressmen.

Noob
05-29-2012, 05:31 PM
What about his End the Fed bill?

http://www.votervoice.net/core.aspx?AID=972&Screen=alert&IssueId=25268&APP=GAC&SiteID=-1&VV_CULTURE=en-us

badger4RP
05-29-2012, 06:55 PM
Petri is in. Johnson contacted.

tsai3904
05-29-2012, 06:59 PM
Petri is in. Johnson contacted.

Thanks! I'm surprised Ron Johnson hasn't co-sponsored. Don't forget to contact Kohl too. They only take notice of issues when they receive lots of comments on a particular issue.

Firehouse26
05-30-2012, 12:24 AM
Contacted Rep. and Senators that represent Delaware. Surprise, surprise, they're not currently co-sponsors...

tsai3904
05-30-2012, 12:52 PM
Contacted Rep. and Senators that represent Delaware. Surprise, surprise, they're not currently co-sponsors...

Thanks for contacting them!

We need to keep up the pressure until the Audit the Fed bills pass the House and Senate.

sailingaway
05-30-2012, 02:06 PM
but don't forget the SENATE....

http://www.senate.gov/general/contact_information/senators_cfm.cfm

twomp
05-30-2012, 04:38 PM
Bump for 1 reason:

End The Fed

P3ter_Griffin
05-30-2012, 05:16 PM
Thanks! I'm surprised Ron Johnson hasn't co-sponsored. Don't forget to contact Kohl too. They only take notice of issues when they receive lots of comments on a particular issue.

Emailed Johnson, Kohl, and Kind yesterday. I asked each of them for a reply if they don't support the bill, as to why they don't.

tsai3904
05-31-2012, 09:24 AM
3 new co-sponsors to Ron Paul's HR 459:

Rep Pence, Mike [IN-6] - 5/30/2012
Rep Rogers, Harold [KY-5] - 5/30/2012
Rep Tonko, Paul [NY-21] - 5/30/2012

Keep contacting your Representative and Senators!

tsai3904
05-31-2012, 03:48 PM
Emailed Johnson, Kohl, and Kind yesterday. I asked each of them for a reply if they don't support the bill, as to why they don't.

Thanks for contacting them!

Anyone else contact their Reps? It literally takes 5 minutes to write an email and send it to all three of your Congressmen. Just make sure you use the correct bill numbers for the House (HR 459) and Senate (S 202).

tsai3904
05-31-2012, 10:09 PM
bump

sailingaway
05-31-2012, 10:56 PM
bump

paulbot24
06-01-2012, 12:10 AM
END THE FED bump

tsai3904
06-01-2012, 09:37 AM
We can expect a STRONG push against these bills by the White House, the Federal Reserve AND the media.

If YOU want to see these bills passed, please pressure your Reps.

Even if they are already co-sponsors, thank them for their support and let them know that you will be watching how they vote. Don't just sit on the sidelines and expect things to be done for you.

It takes FIVE MINUTES to call/email all three of your Congressmen and urge them to support HR 459 / S 202.

Xenliad
06-01-2012, 11:13 AM
I thanked Rep. Berg for cosponsoring and asked Sen. Hoeven and Sen. Conrad to also. Hoeven replied, Conrad hasn't yet (He ALWAYS responds to me though).

Dear Mr. [Last Name]:

Thank you for contacting me regarding the Federal Reserve Transparency Act of 2011 (S. 202). I appreciate hearing your views on this matter and welcome the opportunity to respond.

The Federal Reserve implements monetary policy, regulates banking institutions, maintains the stability of the financial system, and provides financial services to depository institutions.

As introduced by Senator Rand Paul (R-KY), S. 202 calls for an audit of the Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System and of the 12 regional Federal Reserve Banks, to be completed by the end of 2012. This legislation has been referred to the Senate Banking, Housing, and Urban Affairs Committee, of which I am not a member. Should this bill come before the full Senate for consideration, I will keep your views in mind.

Again, thank you for contacting me. If I can be of further assistance, please feel free to contact my office at (202) 224-2551.

Sincerely,

John Hoeven
United States Senator

twomp
06-01-2012, 12:03 PM
C'mon team! If we can have a 29+ page thread on weather or not we like being called "Libertarian", we can have more enthusiasm for a bill to END THE FED no?

Either way shameless bump!

truthspeaker
06-01-2012, 02:35 PM
Please keep this thread bumped!

twomp
06-02-2012, 10:45 AM
bump

tsai3904
06-02-2012, 11:11 AM
C'mon team! If we can have a 29+ page thread on weather or not we like being called "Libertarian", we can have more enthusiasm for a bill to END THE FED no?

In 15 days since this thread started, only 7 people have posted in here saying they've contacted their Congressmen...

tsai3904
06-03-2012, 07:03 PM
It takes 5 minutes to contact your Congressmen. If you need help figuring out who your Rep is or if they are already co-sponsors, let me know. This is too important to not spend 5 minutes to send a couple emails.

sailingaway
06-03-2012, 07:11 PM
and your senators, we have only 20 sponsors in the Senate.

ClydeCoulter
06-03-2012, 07:55 PM
In 15 days since this thread started, only 7 people have posted in here saying they've contacted their Congressmen...

I have, although I did not post when I did. Anyway, bump.

edit: And contacted my senators concerning S 202 "Audit the Fed Bill"

ClydeCoulter
06-03-2012, 08:29 PM
This is the guy that determines if S. 202 moves past committee:
Sen. Tim Johnson [D-SD]

SD people need to get him to co-sponsor in senate.

tsai3904
06-03-2012, 08:48 PM
Sen. Tim Johnson [D-SD]

South Dakota supporters - We need you to put relentless pressure on Senator Johnson. Imagine him getting 1,000 emails, phone calls, faxes, etc. and people questioning him at town hall events about S 202. Get him on the record of where he stands on S 202.

tsai3904
06-03-2012, 08:50 PM
I have, although I did not post when I did. Anyway, bump.

edit: And contacted my senators concerning S 202 "Audit the Fed Bill"

Thanks. There's got to be a better way to get this organized and people fired up about this, but I just don't know what to do.

I like the auditthefed.com website but it hasn't been updated in months and doesn't have the list of co-sponsors updated, which is a shame.

tsai3904
06-04-2012, 02:33 PM
More activism needed.

Massachusetts
06-05-2012, 08:51 AM
Got this email from Senator Scott Brown (R-MA) this morning.

Dear Michael,

Thank you for contacting me regarding the Federal Reserve Transparency Act (S. 202). I value your input on this and all issues, and appreciate hearing from you.

Senator Rand Paul (R-KY) introduced the Federal Reserve Transparency Act on January, 26, 2011. This bill would direct the Comptroller General of the United States to audit the Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System and the other Federal Reserve banks. S. 202 would also require the Comptroller General to complete and submit a report on the audit to Congressional Leadership from both Chambers of Congress.

During the financial reform debate in the 111th Congress, I supported efforts to improve oversight over the Federal Reserve and its activities during the financial crisis. Currently, S. 202 awaits further consideration by the Senate Committee on Banking, Housing, and Urban Affairs. While I am not a member of this committee, I will certainly consider this bill with your thoughts in mind, should it come before the full Senate for debate. Since being elected to the Senate, I have worked tirelessly to strengthen the American economy, and will continue to do so.

Again, thank you for sharing your thoughts with me. If you have any additional questions or comments, please feel free to contact me or visit my website at blahblahblahnotgoingtogivehisurlhits*

Sincerely,
Scott P. Brown
United States Senator

*-edited to get rid of his homepage

tsai3904
06-05-2012, 04:17 PM
Response from Senator Dianne Feinstein (D-CA):

Thank you for contacting me to express support for legislation to increase transparency at the Federal Reserve. I appreciate hearing from you, and I welcome the opportunity to respond.

I agree that the trillions of dollars deployed by the Federal Reserve to stabilize the economy should be accounted for. On July 21, 2010, President Obama signed into law the Dodd-Frank Wall Street Reform and Consumer Protection Act (P.L. 111-203), which includes requirements for a complete audit of the Federal Reserve's emergency lending activities during the financial crisis. Specifically, this legislation requires that the Government Accountability Office (GAO) publish a full audit of the loans and other assistance provided to financial institutions during the economic crisis. The GAO is also empowered with ongoing audit authority over any future emergency lending activities, but is not authorized to directly review key monetary policies such as the setting of interest rates. I believe this legislation takes appropriate steps to prevent the politicization of monetary policy while still promoting transparency in the use of public funds.

Senator Rand Paul (R-KY) has introduced legislation that would require an additional audit of the Federal Reserve. The "Federal Reserve Transparency Act" (S. 202) would remove all existing restrictions on GAO audits, including confidentiality restrictions. I have some concerns that a more expansive audit, including a review of monetary policy, could prevent the Federal Reserve's Board of Governors from making key decisions free of outside political influence. This legislation is currently awaiting a vote in the Senate Banking Committee, of which I am not a member. However, please know that I have made careful note of your support for increased transparency of the Federal Reserve, and I will keep your thoughts in mind should this or other relevant legislation come before me for a vote.

Once again, thank you for writing. If you have any additional questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact my Washington, D.C. office at (202) 224-3841. Best regards.

Sincerely yours,
Dianne Feinstein
United States Senator

tsai3904
06-06-2012, 09:32 AM
Five new co-sponsors to HR 459 yesterday:

Rep Fleischmann, Charles J. "Chuck" [TN-3] - 6/5/2012
Rep Emerson, Jo Ann [MO-8] - 6/5/2012
Rep Harper, Gregg [MS-3] - 6/5/2012
Rep Capito, Shelley Moore [WV-2] - 6/5/2012
Rep King, Steve [IA-5] - 6/5/2012

ClydeCoulter
06-06-2012, 09:48 AM
Five new co-sponsors to HR 459 yesterday:

Rockin', let's keep up the contacts for Reps and Senators !

Sen. Tim Johnson [D-SD]

And, this guy need to get on board !

tsai3904
06-06-2012, 09:20 PM
bump

sailingaway
06-06-2012, 09:25 PM
Response from Senator Dianne Feinstein (D-CA):

Yeah, I have to follow up with her.

paulbot24
06-06-2012, 09:36 PM
I actually got an email back from McCain. It didn't even look like a mass mailing either. He spoke of how important transparency is to him....Weirdly impressive, yet he is co-sponsoring it, which is also weird. What the hell. The game is called politics after all......

sailingaway
06-07-2012, 09:02 AM
bump

tsai3904
06-07-2012, 09:21 AM
Three new co-sponsors to HR 459 yesterday:

Rep Boswell, Leonard L. [IA-3] - 6/6/2012
Rep Dent, Charles W. [PA-15] - 6/6/2012
Rep Chandler, Ben [KY-6] - 6/6/2012

LCG8928
06-07-2012, 10:55 AM
I thanked Senator Chambliss for already co-sponsoring the bill and I contacted Senator Isakson and Congressman Lewis to encourage them to sponsor the bill. I will post it here if either of them respond.

sailingaway
06-07-2012, 11:13 AM
I thanked Senator Chambliss for already co-sponsoring the bill and I contacted Senator Isakson and Congressman Lewis to encourage them to sponsor the bill. I will post it here if either of them respond.

plus rep!

tsai3904
06-08-2012, 09:20 AM
Three new co-sponsors:

Rep Diaz-Balart, Mario [FL-21] - 6/7/2012
Rep Fleming, John [LA-4] - 6/7/2012
Rep Jordan, Jim [OH-4] - 6/7/2012

P3ter_Griffin
06-08-2012, 10:12 AM
Response for Senator Herb Kohl:

Dear Mr. ###:

Thank you for contacting me with your support for an audit of the Federal Reserve (Fed). I appreciate hearing from you and welcome this opportunity to respond.

As part of the Wall Street Reform and Consumer Protection Act, the Government Accountability Office performed a one-time audit of the Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System. I voted in favor of both the financial reform bill and the amendment requiring the audit. The results of this audit are available to the public and can be viewed at www.federalreserve.gov/newsevents/reform_audit.htm.

While I do not always agree with decisions made by the Federal Reserve, I do believe that it should remain an independent entity. Independent monetary policy, free of direct political interference, is one of the hallmarks of a stable economy. Currently the Federal Reserve is an independent federal agency subject to congressional oversight. The seven members of the Federal Reserve Board of Governors are appointed by the President and confirmed by the Senate for 14 year terms. The Chairman of the Federal Reserve Board of Governors, currently Ben Bernanke, serves a four year term and is also a Senate confirmed Presidential appointee. We must strive to maintain the fine balance between congressional oversight and independent monetary policy.

Please be assured I will keep your thoughts in mind as the Senate considers monetary policy issues. Again, thank you for contacting me.

Sincerely,

Herb Kohl
United States Senator

sailingaway
06-08-2012, 10:29 AM
bump

where in the Constitution is the Federal Reserve for it to be a fourth branch of government?

tsai3904
06-08-2012, 10:34 AM
where in the Constitution is the Federal Reserve for it to be a fourth branch of government?

I had a long conversation with a couple die hard Romney supporters over at Race42012 last night and its amazing how little they know or care about the Federal Reserve. They think the Fed plays a minor role in the economy and that Bernanke did the right thing in saving us from a depression. They also don't think there's anything wrong with a 0% interest rate policy.

These guys are die hard Republicans and they can't find any fault with the Fed. The one thing they all do agree on though is that they hate Bernanke but they can't explain why. It's really stunning how our education system has failed in teaching economics.

tsai3904
06-08-2012, 10:38 AM
Response for Senator Herb Kohl:

Thanks for posting his response. It's the same as Senator Feinstein's and the same arguments the establishment used last time. An audit is an audit. It does not interfere in any decisions and if the Fed can't do their job without being pressured, they shouldn't be there. It's amazing how badly they want to protect the Fed from just an audit.

LCG8928
06-08-2012, 01:23 PM
I got a reply from Senator Isakson, I have hope he might sponsor the bill soon:

Dear Mr. [my last name]:

Thank you for contacting me regarding the proposed audit of the Federal Reserve. I appreciate your thoughts and am grateful to have the opportunity to respond.
In 2010, I voted for legislation to audit the Federal Reserve as well as the Federal Reserve of New York. We must increase transparency and accountability at the Federal Reserve. Additionally, I was a cosponsor of S.604, the Federal Reserve Sunshine Act of 2009. S.604 would have mandated an audit of the Federal Reserve by the Comptroller General of the United States to be reported to the leadership of Congress, along with the leadership of committees of jurisdiction. In addition, I was pleased that the Government Accountability Office released on July 21, 2011 the findings of its one-time audit of the Federal Reserve's emergency loan programs. I am reviewing this audit and will continue to monitor the Federal Reserve.
It was the intent of Congress in 1913 to create the Federal Reserve as an independent non-partisan organization and the Federal Reserve has been exempt from auditing ever since. However the time has come where there is a need for more accountability across the board.

Thank you again for contacting me. Please visit my webpage at http://isakson.senate.gov/ for more information on the issues important to you and to sign up for my e-newsletter.

Sincerely,
Johnny Isakson
United States Senator

tsai3904
06-12-2012, 10:21 AM
Rand said on the Peter Schiff show today that he will be talking to Republican and Democratic leaders this week to try and get his bill up for a vote. He also said he's going to need at least 15 Democratic Senators to vote for the bill for it to have any chance of passing.

Regardless of how you feel about Rand, Ron has been fighting to get a FULL audit for 30 years. He is SO close to getting his bill passed but it needs significantly more support in the Senate than it has now. If it does not pass the Senate, there will be NO audit of the Federal Reserve.

Please contact your Senators and urge them to support S 202, the Federal Reserve Transparency Act of 2011.

ClydeCoulter
06-12-2012, 11:18 AM
Rand said on the Peter Schiff show today that he will be talking to Republican and Democratic leaders this week to try and get his bill up for a vote. He also said he's going to need at least 15 Democratic Senators to vote for the bill for it to have any chance of passing.

Regardless of how you feel about Rand, Ron has been fighting to get a FULL audit for 30 years. He is SO close to getting his bill passed but it needs significantly more support in the Senate than it has now. If it does not pass the Senate, there will be NO audit of the Federal Reserve.

Please contact your Senators and urge them to support S 202, the Federal Reserve Transparency Act of 2011.

^^^ This ^^^

Wooden Indian
06-12-2012, 11:59 AM
Done and done. Was happy to see that my Rep was a co-sponsor.

squirekyle
06-12-2012, 04:24 PM
Do we need a 2/3 majority in the House & Senate to override the President? or just a 50/50 majority? Does anyone know?

tsai3904
06-12-2012, 04:28 PM
We need 2/3 vote in House and Senate to override a Presidential veto but the biggest obstacle is getting it passed in the Senate.

squirekyle
06-12-2012, 04:41 PM
We need 2/3 vote in House and Senate to override a Presidential veto but the biggest obstacle is getting it passed in the Senate.

Thanks for the info! I'll call my House and Senate representatives tomorrow hopefully. I did a few months but we all need to try again.
WE CAN'T LET RON PAUL DOWN THIS TIME!

sailingaway
06-12-2012, 06:14 PM
bump!!

EBounding
06-12-2012, 08:15 PM
Gary Peters gave me a timely and decent reply.

Thank you for contacting me regarding the Federal Reserve Transparency Act of 2011 (H.R.459). I greatly appreciate you taking the time to express your views on this important matter. Your input is, and will always be, welcomed and appreciated.

Like you, I hold the basic belief that the federal government should serve with transparency and accountability. H.R. 459 would direct the Comptroller General to complete, before the end of 2012, an audit of the Board of Governors, the Federal Reserve System and the Federal Reserve Banks, followed by a detailed report to Congress.

In the 111th Congress, I supported a provision of the Dodd-Frank Wall Street Reform and Consumer Protection Act (Public Law 111-203) that allows the Government Accountability Office to audit the Federal Reserve's monetary and lending activities for the first time. As a result of this provision, the first GAO audit of the Federal Reserve's emergency assistance policies was released on July 21, 2011.

H.R. 459 was introduced to the 112th Congress by Representative Ron Paul on January 26, 2011. It has been referred to the House Committee on Oversight and Government Reform, where no further action has been taken. While I do not serve on this committee, I will make sure to keep your views in mind should H.R. 459 come to the floor of the House for a vote.

I would like to thank you again for contacting me. I always enjoy hearing from constituents and hope that you take the time to contact me again soon. For more information, please feel free to visit my website, http://www.peters.house.gov.

Sincerely,

Gary C. Peters
Member of Congress

gte811i
06-12-2012, 08:23 PM
I had a long conversation with a couple die hard Romney supporters over at Race42012 last night and its amazing how little they know or care about the Federal Reserve. They think the Fed plays a minor role in the economy and that Bernanke did the right thing in saving us from a depression. They also don't think there's anything wrong with a 0% interest rate policy.

These guys are die hard Republicans and they can't find any fault with the Fed. The one thing they all do agree on though is that they hate Bernanke but they can't explain why. It's really stunning how our education system has failed in teaching economics.

No kidding. Two things that rule the world: money and power. And we do a horrible job teaching young people about either of them. The economic system is vital to our very existence and most people don't know or couldn't give two squats about it. Sad.

tsai3904
06-12-2012, 08:59 PM
It would be great if people can attend any of their Representative's or Senators' public events and get them on the record of whether or not they support HR 459 or S 202.

You can call your Congressmen's office and ask when their next public scheduled event is.

Legend1104
06-12-2012, 10:06 PM
Well we have 21 senators out of 100. So we need to get 29 more. I bet this actually passes. I bet that Romney supports it in an attempt to get our support.

Exavier
06-12-2012, 10:26 PM
Make it clear your Congressman or Senator that they need to vote yes on this bill for many reasons. The biggest of which is getting your vote and the vote or anyone else you know who is politically active. If they don’t then they lose your vote. Sometimes when it’s clear how serious you are they take it a bit more strongly as of late.

tsai3904
06-12-2012, 10:30 PM
Make it clear your Congressman or Senator that they need to vote yes on this bill for many reasons. The biggest of which is getting your vote and the vote or anyone else you know who is politically active. If they don’t then they lose your vote. Sometimes when it’s clear how serious you are they take it a bit more strongly as of late.

Yup. It's a lot more effective if you can convey this message in a public town hall event too where there are many others who may not know about the bill but will be on our side once it's explained. I encourage everyone to contact their Rep and Senators and find out when their next public scheduled event is. If your Congressmen is in a tight election, he'll also hold many campaign events where you can bring up this issue.

jsoldatot
06-12-2012, 11:23 PM
Every single person reading this needs to contact their legislatures, THAT MEANS YOU.

My demorat blew me off, but Portman seems like he's on board.

Dear ***,

Thankyou for contacting me to express your views about auditing the Federal Reserve. It is good to hear fromyou.

Asyou may know, the Federal Reserve Transparency Act of 2011 (S.202) was introduced in the Senate in Januaryof 2011 and was referred to the Committee on Banking, Housing, and Urban Affairs. The legislation wouldenact an audit of the Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System and of the Federal Reserve banks,followed by a detailed report to the Congress.

TheFederal Reserve is an independent agency that formulates our nation's monetary policy, manages and regulatesbanks, and provides a patchwork of financial services to certain financial institutions and the federalgovernment. However, the extraordinary actions in response to the recent financial crisis and the lackof transparency in the Federal Reserve's monetary policy continueto invite scrutiny.

WhileI believe the political independence of the Federal Reserve's monetary policy formulation is critical,I recognize that the recent extraordinary interventions by the Fed raise legitimate concerns. ThoughI am not a member of the Banking Committee, I will certainly be mindful of your concerns should the billcome before the full Senate for a vote.

Thanksagain for taking the time to contact my office. For more information, I encourage you to visit my websiteat www.portman.senate.gov. Please keep in touch.

Sincerely,

Rob Portman
U.S. Senator

tsai3904
06-13-2012, 09:39 AM
Two new co-sponsors to HR 459, which now has 241 co-sponsors. There have been 13 new co-sponsors in the first 12 days of this month.

Rep DesJarlais, Scott [TN-4] - 6/12/2012
Rep Long, Billy [MO-7] - 6/12/2012

squirekyle
06-13-2012, 11:20 AM
tsai3904, we now have 243 co-sponsors in the house! you can update your post :)

P3ter_Griffin
06-13-2012, 11:54 AM
WhileI believe the political independence of the Federal Reserve's monetary policy formulation is critical,I recognize that the recent extraordinary interventions by the Fed raise legitimate concerns. ThoughI am not a member of the Banking Committee, I will certainly be mindful of your concerns should the billcome before the full Senate for a vote.

Does this mean the bill needs to pass the senate banking committee before it would be voted on in the senate? Here is a list of the banking committee members in case:
Tim Johnson Chairman (D-SD)
Richard C. Shelby Ranking Member (R-AL)
Jack Reed (D-RI)
Mike Crapo (R-ID)
Charles E. Schumer (D-NY)
Bob Corker (R-TN)
Robert Menendez (D-NJ)
Jim DeMint (R-SC)
Daniel K. Akaka (D-HI)
David Vitter (R-LA)
Sherrod Brown (D-OH)
Mike Johanns (R-NE)
Jon Tester (D-MT)
Patrick J. Toomey (R-PA)
Herb Kohl (D-WI)
Mark Kirk (R-IL)
Mark R. Warner (D-VA)
Jerry Moran (R-KS)
Jeff Merkley (D-OR)
Roger F. Wicker (R-MS)
Michael F. Bennet (D-CO)
Kay Hagan (D-NC)

tsai3904
06-13-2012, 12:20 PM
tsai3904, we now have 243 co-sponsors in the house! you can update your post :)

There's only 241. Every site that lists co-sponsors will show two more co-sponsors than there actually is because they leave in Dean Heller (now in Senate) and David Wu (resigned from House).

tsai3904
06-13-2012, 12:29 PM
Does this mean the bill needs to pass the senate banking committee before it would be voted on in the senate? Here is a list of the banking committee members in case:

It depends. In 09, only the members of the House Financial Services Committee voted on Ron's bill and it was never brought before the full House for a vote. In the Senate, it was introduced as an amendment to the financial reform bill so it was voted on by the full Senate.

Senator Johnson, the Chairman of the Senate Banking Committee does have the authority to bring up the bill in his committee for a vote so we do need to pressure him and the other Senators in the committee to push for that.

Wooden Indian
06-13-2012, 12:51 PM
The response from my rep:

Thank you for taking the time to write to me about the Federal Reserve. I appreciate your views and input on this critical issue.

Since the creation of the Fed in 1913, the value of the dollar has decreased by more than 96 percent due to their inflationary practices. In recent years, as you well know, the Fed has participated in unconventional open market operations including Quantitative Easing- funding corporate bailouts and putting further inflationary pressures on the dollar.

While ostensibly the Federal Reserve serves as the controller of U.S. monetary policy independent from Congress and the Executive Branch, the taxpayers have a fundamental right to know how their tax dollars are being spent and how policies of the Fed are harming our currency and our economy. To get to the facts, I am a proud co-sponsor of the Federal Reserve Transparency Act. This legislation will require an audit of the Federal Reserve and will allow the American people and this Congress to see what the Fed has been up to.

I understand the Federal Reserve is not federal; it is privately owned by its members, but it has the authority to print and issue money. It has also been criticized as the creator of the boom and bust cycles in the housing market that contributed to the recession we are still bogged down in. My staff and I want to see the Fed open its books and determine what, if anything, must be maintained and what to end. Rest assured, if the Fed will not agree to open its books and submit to an audit, I will not hesitate to end it.

Again, thank you for sharing your views and please do not hesitate to contact me again should you have any further comments or questions.

Nice!

tsai3904
06-13-2012, 12:53 PM
The response from my rep:

That's a great reply. Who's the Rep?

sailingaway
06-13-2012, 01:42 PM
I saw on twitter that we got three new sponsors in the House

AuditTheFed2012 ‏@AuditTheFed2012
There were 3 new co-sponsors to #RonPaul's #HR459 to #AuditTheFed yesterday. Now a total of 239 co-sponsors.

Someone should let him know we have 243.... I guess maybe me. He's good at agitating people to go for their reps.

tsai3904
06-13-2012, 01:55 PM
I saw on twitter that we got three new sponsors in the House

AuditTheFed2012 ‏@AuditTheFed2012
There were 3 new co-sponsors to #RonPaul's #HR459 to #AuditTheFed yesterday. Now a total of 239 co-sponsors.

Someone should let him know we have 243.... I guess maybe me. He's good at agitating people to go for their reps.

Haha...that's me. That post was on June 8. I tweeted today that there were two new co-sponsors for a total of 241 co-sponsors. All govt sites keep listing 2 additional co-sponsors that shouldn't be on there (Dean Heller who's now in the Senate and David Wu who resigned from the House).

Wooden Indian
06-13-2012, 02:53 PM
That's a great reply. Who's the Rep?

Dennis Ross FL 12th.

tsai3904
06-13-2012, 05:27 PM
Email from Ron Paul:

After nearly 30 years of fighting for liberty in Washington, my time in Congress is rapidly coming to an end. But what a way to go out! I am so pleased to tell you about what could be the crowning achievement of my legislative efforts – passing our Audit the Fed bill!

I know a lot has been asked of you this year, but I’m writing today to make sure you understand that in the coming days, my biggest priority will be passing my Audit the Fed bill through Congress.

The good news is, the House leadership has promised a vote on Audit the Fed this July, so I must ask EVERY SINGLE PATRIOT to help Campaign for Liberty in this vital effort today.

You can help me make history – and help change the course of the country - by passing Audit the Fed through Congress.

Please take a look at the email below from Campaign for Liberty for more details. They have been on the frontlines of this battle for the past few years and are ready to win it, so I am personally asking you to help them finish this fight with an incredible victory.

For Liberty,
Congressman Ron Paul

Carson
06-13-2012, 07:36 PM
you have to use their form.

Boxer: http://boxer.senate.gov/en/contact/policycomments.cfm

Feinstein: https://www.feinstein.senate.gov/public/index.cfm/e-mail-me

and you can get whoever your Rep is from here: http://house.gov/

put your zip code in the box at the upper right for 'Find your representative' then go to their contact link

Thanks for the links sailingaway.

P3ter_Griffin
06-13-2012, 08:19 PM
Does anyone have a letter to the editor sorta thing written up about this, urging readers to contact their reps?

sailingaway
06-13-2012, 11:43 PM
bump

twomp
06-14-2012, 01:41 PM
bumpzor

tsai3904
06-14-2012, 09:43 PM
bump

Xenliad
06-15-2012, 08:32 AM
Senator Conrad responded to me by mail now, which means I have to type it up:

Dear Daniel:

Thank you for contacting me about the Federal Reserve. It was good to hear from you.

I share your support for auditing the Federal Reserve. That is why I supported an amendment during Senate consideration of the Dodd-Frank Wall Street Reform and Consumer Protection Act (Dodd-Frank). The amendment, offered by Senator Sanders (S.A. 3738), required the non-partisan Government Accountability Office (GAO) to conduct an independent audit of the Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System. The amendment, which was adopted, required that the Fed disclose the names of the recipients of the extraordinary financial assistance it provided in response to the economic crisis. In meeting this requirement, the Federal Reserve reported beneficiaries of the credit and lending facilities, and other monetary policy tools, created by the Fed to respond to the financial crisis. If you have not done so already, you can review a list of transactions at: http://www.federalreserve.gov/newsevents/reform_transaction.htm

Additionally, you may be interested t know that the Dodd-Frank Act provides the GAO the authority to audit any emergency lending facility set up by the Federal Reserve under section 13(3) of the Federal Reserve Act. The President signed the Dodd-Frank Act, including these audit provisions, into law on July 21 2010.

Specifically, you expressed your support for additional legislation to audit the Federal Reserve. As you may know, the Federal Reserve Transparency Act (S. 202) would require an audit of the Federal Reserve before the end of 2012, resulting in a full report to congress. S. 202 was introduced by Senator Paul on January 26. It was referred to the Senate Committee on Banking, Housing, and Urban Affairs. Please be assured I will keep your views in mind should this or similar legislation come before the full Senate.

Again, thank you for contacting me.

Sincerely,

KENT CONRAD
United States Senate

Wooden Indian
06-15-2012, 09:31 AM
Senator Conrad responded to me by mail now, which means I have to type it up:

Good deal. Love it.

P3ter_Griffin
06-16-2012, 11:36 PM
Beat Obama Committee supports Audit the Fed legislation:

Henderson, Nevada (PRWEB) June 16, 2012

The Beat Obama Committee is calling on its members to fax Congress in support of legislation to audit the Federal Reserve. Congressman Ron Paul of Texas is the original sponsor of HR 459, the Federal Reserve Transparency Act. Senator Rand Paul of Kentucky sponsored the companion legislation, S 202, in the Senate. The Act would repeal Congressional limitations on auditing the Federal Reserve, and calls for a complete audit of the privately-owned bank's Board of Governors and branches before the end of 2012.

According to a May 25, 2012 story reported on The Hill website, House Majority Leader Eric Cantor has agreed to bring the Federal Reserve Transparency Act to a full vote in July of 2012.

"Federal Reserve Chairman Ben Bernanke refused to tell Congress where it sent money during the TARP bailouts in 2009," said Randy Goodwin, Treasurer of the Beat Obama Committee. "It was only after a partial audit of the bank in 2011 that we learned they had given 16 trillion dollars in taxpayer money to foreign banks."

The Beat Obama Committee believes that the Federal Reserve needs to be held accountable for the devaluation of the U.S. dollar. According to the Government Accountability Office audit in 2011, more than 16 trillion dollars was given to foreign banks and corporations by the Federal Reserve, without authority from Congress.

"The American taxpayer will be paying for these actions for years to come," said Goodwin. "The inflation brought about by Barack Obama's bailouts and the Federal Reserve's actions has translated into a 40 percent tax increase on the poor and middle class. And that's just in the last 3 years."

The Beat Obama Committee believes that an audit of the Federal Reserve will shed light on the reasons for the current financial depression that the U.S. is in. If members of the public wish to fax Congress and tell them to audit the fed, they can do so by visiting the Beat Obama website.

:Perma-Smile: This is awesome!!

ETA: http://www.timesunion.com/business/press-releases/article/Beat-Obama-Committee-supports-Audit-the-Fed-3638798.php

tsai3904
06-19-2012, 09:19 AM
Two new co-sponsors to HR 459 yesterday:

Rep Ellmers, Renee L. [NC-2] - 6/18/2012
Rep Whitfield, Ed [KY-1] - 6/18/2012

Now up to 243 co-sponsors.

tsai3904
06-19-2012, 05:35 PM
FreedomWorks CEO sent out this message today:

Dear FreedomWorks member,

As one of our million-plus FreedomWorks members nationwide, I urge you to contact your representative and ask him or her to cosponsor H.R. 459, the Federal Reserve Transparency Act of 2011. Introduced by Rep. Ron Paul (R-TX), the bill would eliminate the current audit restrictions placed on the Government Accountability Office (GAO) and require a full and thorough audit of the Federal Reserve.

Since its inception in 1913, the Federal Reserve has never been audited. It has always operated under a certain veil of secrecy. Our dollar has lost 97 percent of its value since its creation. Many economists have found that the central bank’s loose monetary policy played a major role in the current economic crisis. It is more crucial than ever that the Federal Reserve’s monetary policy decisions be open to congressional oversight. Without a comprehensive audit, we will never know how the Fed is manipulating our money behind closed doors.

The American people overwhelmingly support auditing the Federal Reserve. We will not settle for a one-time watered down audit of the Federal Reserve which was included in the misguided Dodd-Frank financial overhaul law passed last summer. According to a recent Rasmussen Report poll, 74 percent of adults are in favor of a comprehensive audit the Federal Reserve. In the last congressional session, Rep. Ron Paul’s audit the Federal Reserve legislation won a bipartisan group of 320 cosponsors before passing the House.

With opaque bank bailouts done through “quantitative easing” among other programs, the Federal Reserve has violated the trust granted to it that allowed for secretive operations. With sound money crucial to our future prosperity, we must push for a full audit to bring much-needed transparency and accountability to the overreaching central bank. I urge you to contact your representative and ask her or her to cosponsor H.R. 459, the Federal Reserve Transparency Act of 2011 today.

Sincerely,

Matt Kibbe
President and CEO
FreedomWorks

squirekyle
06-19-2012, 06:43 PM
FreedomWorks CEO sent out this message today:

Sweet, maybe we can push past the 290 House members needed to pass the bill.

cstarace
06-19-2012, 07:25 PM
Bump. Just contacted (for the third time) my Representative Nan Hayworth as well as senators Schumer and Gillibrand. Not sure if they'll even bother responding anymore, lol.

squirekyle
06-19-2012, 09:31 PM
Bump. Just contacted (for the third time) my Representative Nan Hayworth as well as senators Schumer and Gillibrand. Not sure if they'll even bother responding anymore, lol.

at least you're trying, that's what really counts.

tsai3904
06-21-2012, 09:47 AM
Two new co-sponsors to HR 459 yesterday:

Rep Hunter, Duncan D. [CA-52] - 6/20/2012
Rep McHenry, Patrick T. [NC-10] - 6/20/2012

Now up to 245 co-sponsors.

P3ter_Griffin
06-21-2012, 02:00 PM
Response from Ron Kind:

Dear Joseph:

Thank you for contacting me about the Federal Reserve Transparency Act of 2011, H.R. 459. I appreciate hearing from you on this issue.

The Federal Reserve System serves as the central bank of the United States. The Federal Reserve itself is an independent agency that formulates the nation’s monetary policy, supervises and regulates banks, and provides financial services to depository instituations and the federal government. The entity is comprised of the presidentially appointed Board of Governors, the Federal Open Market Committee, and twelve regional privately-owned Federal Reserve banks located in major cities throughout the nation.

The Federal Reserve Transparency Act of 2011, H.R. 459, would audit the Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System and the Federal Reserve banks. Although I have consistently supported greater transparency in government, I also believe that the Federal Reserve plays a key role as a non-partisan agency, and it should be protected from excessive political and industry pressures. Now more than ever, we must support the Federal Reserve’s mission and the current measures being taken to help our ailing economy. H.R. 459 has been sent to the House Committee on Oversight and Government Reform for review. If it comes before the full House for a vote, I will be sure to keep your thoughts in mind.

Again, thank you for contacting me. Please do not hesitate to be in touch with additional comments or concerns. I also encourage you to visit my website, www.kind.house.gov, where you can find updated information, sign up to receive my electronic newsletter, and send me e-mail.

Sincerely,

Ron Kind
Member of Congress

tsai3904
06-21-2012, 02:09 PM
Response from Ron Kind:

I also believe that the Federal Reserve plays a key role as a non-partisan agency, and it should be protected from excessive political and industry pressures. Now more than ever, we must support the Federal Reserve’s mission and the current measures being taken to help our ailing economy.

And what does an audit have anything to do with this??

tsai3904
06-22-2012, 09:12 AM
Six new co-sponsors to HR 459 yesterday:

Rep Denham, Jeff [CA-19] - 6/21/2012
Rep Franks, Trent [AZ-2] - 6/21/2012
Rep Chabot, Steve [OH-1] - 6/21/2012
Rep Hanna, Richard L. [NY-24] - 6/21/2012
Rep Ros-Lehtinen, Ileana [FL-18] - 6/21/2012
Rep Hensarling, Jeb [TX-5] - 6/21/2012

Now up to 251 co-sponsors.

tsai3904
06-22-2012, 02:50 PM
Campaign for Liberty statement:

The House Oversight and Government Reform Committee will hold a markup on Audit the Fed, H.R. 459, possibly even as soon as next week!

These are the members of the committee (those in bold HAVE NOT cosponsored HR 459):

Rep. Darrell E. Issa (CA-49)
Rep. Dan Burton (IN-05)
Rep. John L. Mica (FL-07)
Rep. Todd Platts (PA-19)
Rep. Michael Turner (OH-03)
Rep. Patrick T. McHenry (NC-10)
Rep. Jim Jordan (OH-04)
Rep. Jason Chaffetz (UT-03)
Rep. Connie Mack (FL-14)
Rep. Tim Walberg (MI-3)
Rep. James Lankford (OK-5)
Rep. Justin Amash (MI-3)
Rep. Ann Marie Buerkle (NY-25)
Rep. Paul Gosar (AZ-1)
Rep. Raúl R. Labrador (ID-1)
Rep. Pat Meehan (PA-7)
Rep. Scott DesJarlais (TN-4)
Rep. Joe Walsh (IL-8)
Rep. Trey Gowdy (SC-4)
Rep. Dennis Ross (FL-12)
Rep. Frank Guinta (NH-1)
Rep. Blake Farenthold (TX-27)
Rep. Mike Kelly (PA-3)
Rep. Elijah Cummings (MD-7)
Rep. Edolphus Towns (NY-10)
Rep. Carolyn Maloney (NY-14)
Rep. Eleanor Holmes Norton (D.C.)
Rep. Dennis Kucinich (OH-10)
Rep. John Tierney (MA-6)
Rep. Wm. Lacy Clay (MO-1)
Rep. Stephen Lynch (MA-9)
Rep. Jim Cooper (TN-5)
Rep. Gerald Connolly (VA-11)
Rep. Mike Quigley (IL-5)
Rep. Danny Davis (IL-7)
Rep. Bruce Braley (IA-1)
Rep. Peter Welch (VT-At-Large)
Rep. John Yarmuth (KY-3)
Rep. Christopher Murphy (CT-5)
Rep. Jackie Speier (CA-12)

There are 40 members of the House Oversight Committee and 26 are co-sponsors of HR 459.

tsai3904
06-23-2012, 03:50 PM
I attended a town hall event today hosted by Congressman Pete Stark. He is a cosponsor of HR 459 and I asked him to explain why we need a full audit of the Federal Reserve in hopes that other people will understand too.

He showed a complete lack of understanding of what the bill does as he says there might not even be authority to do a full audit. He also said he doesn't think the Fed is cooking the books but that's really not the point of the audit. He said he was indifferent to the bill but he will talk to Ron Paul about it as he said they are good friends and kindred souls in doing away with the wars. He joked that he thought Ron was going to pick him as his VP.

Noob
06-24-2012, 03:06 AM
How is his End the Fed bill doing? Going no were?

tsai3904
06-24-2012, 06:07 PM
Who wants to do some work to help get this bill passed?

There is a target list of Representatives that we need to get on board. Some Reps should be easy to persuade and some Reps we need to persuade. We need to call these Reps and urge them to support the bill and also find out when their next scheduled public event will be so we can get them on the record of where they stand on the bill.

Easy to Persuade

52 Democrats who cosponsored HR 1207 in the last Congress but have yet to cosponsor HR 459 in this Congress. Both bills do exactly the same thing so if these Reps cosponsored HR 1207, it shouldn't be too hard to get them back on board to cosponsor HR 459.

24 Republicans who have yet to cosponsor HR 459. 218 of the 242 House Republicans have cosponsored HR 459. It should be fairly easy to convince the 10% of House Republican holdouts to support HR 459 given that 90% of House Republicans have cosponsored the bill.

Need to Persuade

14 members of the House Oversight and Government Reform Committee who have yet to cosponsor HR 459. The bill will have to pass this committee before it reaches the full House for a floor vote. Of these 14, two are Republicans and four are Democrats who cosponsored HR 1207 in last Congress.

tsai3904
06-25-2012, 09:55 AM
We need help making phone calls.

HR 459 will have to be marked up in the House Oversight and Government Reform Committee before it heads to the House floor for a full vote.

Below is the list of members of the committee who have not yet cosponsored HR 459. Out of 40 members, the below 14 have not cosponsored.

Please give them a call and urge them to cosponsor HR 459.

The ones in bold cosponsored HR 1207 in the last Congress so there shouldn't be any reason why they won't support HR 459, since both bills do the same thing.

The city and zip code are provided in case they ask you if you're a constituent.

Representative
District
DC Office
City
Zip Code

Braley, Bruce
D-IA-01
202-225-2911
Davenport

Buerkle, Ann Marie
R-NY-25
202-225-3701
Syracuse

Clay, Wm. Lacy

D-MO-01
202-225-2406
St. Louis

Connolly, Gerald
D-VA-11
202-225-1492
Annandale

Cooper, Jim
D-TN-05
202-225-4311
Nashville

Cummings, Elijah
D-MD-07
202-225-4741
Cantonsville

Davis, Danny
D-IL-07
202-225-5006
Chicago

Issa, Darrell
R-CA-49
202-225-3906
Vista

Lynch, Stephen
D-MA-09
202-225-8273
Brockton

Maloney, Carolyn
D-NY-14
202-225-7944
New York

Murphy, Chris
D-CT-05
202-225-4476
Danbury

Norton, Eleanor Holmes
D-DC-AL
202-225-8050
DC

Quigley, Mike
D-IL-05
202-225-4061
Chicago

Towns, Edolphus
D-NY-10
202-225-5936
Brooklyn

tsai3904
06-25-2012, 09:57 AM
Here is a list of Democrats who cosponsored HR 1207 in the last Congress but have not yet cosponsored HR 459 in this Congress. Both bills do the same thing so there's no reason why these Representatives shouldn't support HR 459.

Please give them a call and remind them that since they supported the same bill in the last Congress, you're going to expect them to support HR 459 when it comes up for a vote in July.

Representative

District
DC Office
City
Zip Code

Berkley, Shelley
D-NV-01
202-225-5965
Las Vegas

Bishop, Timothy
D-NY-01
202-225-3826
Riverhead

Boren, Dan
D-OK-02
202-225-2701
Claremore

Braley, Bruce
D-IA-01
202-225-2911
Davenport

Brown, Corrine
D-FL-03
202-225-0123
Orlando

Chu, Judy
D-CA-32
202-225-5464
West Covina

Clay, Wm. Lacy
D-MO-01
202-225-2406
St. Louis

Cohen, Steve
D-TN-09
202-225-3265
Memphis

Courtney, Joe
D-CT-02
202-225-2076
Enfield

Cuellar, Henry
D-TX-28
202-225-1640
San Antonio

Doggett, Lloyd
D-TX-25
202-225-4865
Austin

Doyle, Michael
D-PA-14
202-225-2135
Pittsburgh

Edwards, Donna
D-MD-04
202-225-8699
Silver Spring

Farr, Sam
D-CA-17
202-225-2861
Santa Cruz

Filner, Bob
D-CA-51
202-225-8045
Chula Vista

Fudge, Marcia
D-OH-11
202-225-7032
Bedford

Grijalva, Raul
D-AZ-07
202-225-2435
Tucson

Heinrich, Martin
D-NM-01
202-225-6316
Albuquerque

Higgins, Brian
D-NY-27
202-225-3306
Buffalo

Hirono, Mazie
D-HI-02
202-225-4906
Honolulu

Holden, Tim
D-PA-17
202-225-5546
Lebanon

Jackson, Jesse, Jr.
D-IL-02
202-225-0773
Chicago

Johnson, Eddie
D-TX-30
202-225-8885
Dallas

Johnson, Hank
D-GA-04
202-225-1605
Lithonia

Kildee, Dale
D-MI-05
202-225-3611
Bay City

Langevin, Jim
D-RI-02
202-225-2735
Warwick

Lewis, John
D-GA-05
202-225-3801
Atlanta

Lujan, Ben
D-NM-03
202-225-6190
Santa Fe

McNerney, Jerry
D-CA-11
202-225-1947
Pleasanton

Miller, Brad
D-NC-13
202-225-3032
Greensboro

Murphy, Chris
D-CT-05
202-225-4476
Waterbury

Nadler, Jerrold
D-NY-08
202-225-5635
Brooklyn

Pascrell, Bill, Jr.
D-NJ-08
202-225-5751
Paterson

Pastor, Ed
D-AZ-04
202-225-4065
Phoenix

Perlmutter, Ed
D-CO-07
202-225-2645
Lakewood

Pingree, Chellie
D-ME-01
202-225-6116
Portland

Quigley, Mike
D-IL-05
202-225-4061
Chicago

Reyes, Silvestre
D-TX-16
202-225-4831
El Paso

Richardson, Laura
D-CA-37
202-225-7924
Long Beach

Ruppersberger, Dutch
D-MD-02
202-225-3061
Middle River

Ryan, Tim
D-OH-17
202-225-5261
Youngstown

Sarbanes, John
D-MD-03
202-225-4016
Annapolis

Schakowsky, Jan
D-IL-09
202-225-2111
Evanston

Schiff, Adam
D-CA-29
202-225-4176
Pasadena

Scott, David
D-GA-13
202-225-2939
Jonesboro

Sherman, Brad
D-CA-27
202-225-5911
Sherman Oaks

Shuler, Heath
D-NC-11
202-225-6401
Ahseville

Slaughter, Louise
D-NY-28
202-225-3615
Niagara Falls

Smith, Adam
D-WA-09
202-225-8901
Tacoma

Sutton, Betty
D-OH-13
202-225-3401
Akron

Thompson, Bennie
D-MS-02
202-225-5876
Bolton

Walz, Timothy
D-MN-01
202-225-2472
Mankato

ClydeCoulter
06-25-2012, 11:06 AM
^^^ bump ^^^

ClydeCoulter
06-26-2012, 08:39 AM
^^^ Help, we need these people on board, it's up to you (and me)

sailingaway
06-26-2012, 08:43 AM
OK folks, let's make those calls!

From tsai's other thread:

Ron Paul's Audit the Fed bill, HR 459, is scheduled for a markup on Wednesday, June 27, by the House Committee on Oversight and Government Reform.

http://oversight.house.gov/markup/full-committee-business-meeting-30/

The bill MUST pass the committee before it heads to the House floor for a full vote.

There are the 40 members of the House Oversight Committee:
http://oversight.house.gov/committee-members/

14 members of the committee have not yet cosponsored HR 459. They are listed below (members in bold cosponsored HR 1207 in the last Congress).

Please give them a call and urge them to vote for HR 459 at the House Oversight Committee hearing on Wednesday, June 27.

Use the city and zip code in case they ask if you are a constituent.

Representative
District
DC Office
City
Zip Code

Braley, Bruce
D-IA-01
202-225-2911
Davenport

Buerkle, Ann Marie
R-NY-25
202-225-3701
Syracuse

Clay, Wm. Lacy

D-MO-01
202-225-2406
St. Louis

Connolly, Gerald
D-VA-11
202-225-1492
Annandale

Cooper, Jim
D-TN-05
202-225-4311
Nashville

Cummings, Elijah
D-MD-07
202-225-4741
Cantonsville

Davis, Danny
D-IL-07
202-225-5006
Chicago

Issa, Darrell
R-CA-49
202-225-3906
Vista

Lynch, Stephen
D-MA-09
202-225-8273
Brockton

Maloney, Carolyn
D-NY-14
202-225-7944
New York

Murphy, Chris
D-CT-05
202-225-4476
Danbury

Norton, Eleanor Holmes
D-DC-AL
202-225-8050
DC

Quigley, Mike
D-IL-05
202-225-4061
Chicago

Towns, Edolphus
D-NY-10
202-225-5936
Brooklyn

Monotaur
06-26-2012, 10:15 AM
Wow, I just called Congressman Clay's office since I used to live near his district. The person who answered said that because congress was currently in recess (???) that there was no way to contact him, but that he would relay any concerns I had. I mentioned HR 459 and how I hoped he would support it since he supported HR 1207 last time. The person knew what I was talking about, and it sounded like they had received several calls. :)

Overall the person was very nice and said he would relay my message to Congressman Clay. I was expecting and answering machine, so this was a welcome surprise. :)

tsai3904
06-26-2012, 10:18 AM
Wow, I just called Congressman Clay's office since I used to live near his district. The person who answered said that because congress was currently in recess (???) that there was no way to contact him, but that he would relay any concerns I had.

That's odd that he would tell you Congress is in recess because the House actually has a full schedule today.

For the list of 14 that we are calling, we need to stress that they will be voting on HR 459 tomorrow (Wednesday) in the House Oversight Committee hearing.

Anyways, thanks for calling! I know some people are afraid to call but it's very easy because it's probably just an intern taking down whatever comments you have. They may ask for your address and all you need to do is provide the city and zip code I provided.

Monotaur
06-26-2012, 11:15 AM
That's odd that he would tell you Congress is in recess because the House actually has a full schedule today.

For the list of 14 that we are calling, we need to stress that they will be voting on HR 459 tomorrow (Wednesday) in the House Oversight Committee hearing.

Anyways, thanks for calling! I know some people are afraid to call but it's very easy because it's probably just an intern taking down
whatever comments you have. They may ask for your address and all you need to do is provide the city and zip code I provided.

Thanks. I forgot to add that I did mention that I hoped that Clay would vote to move the bill to the full House tomorrow. Again, very friendly and easy to do. They didn't ask for my location either.

ClydeCoulter
06-26-2012, 07:26 PM
The following is what I received from Senator Richard Lugar,
It seems he wants amemdments to water it down, no full audit, but this sure is a long winded way to do it:

Dear Mr. Coulter:

Thank you for contacting me to share your support for auditing the Federal Reserve Board. I appreciate having the benefit of your thoughts.

S. 202, the Federal Reserve Transparency Act, was introduced on January 26, 2011, and requires a full audit of the Federal Reserve System. This legislation has been referred to the Senate Committee on Banking, Housing, and Urban Affairs for further review.

I support auditing aspects of the Federal Reserve, and I supported an amendment to the Senate financial regulatory reform offered by Senator Sanders to conduct an audit of the Federal Reserve System and its emergency lending to banks during the financial crisis. In addition, the amendment required the Federal Reserve to publish on its website prior to December 1, 2010, the names, type, amount, date, terms and rationale for each entity that received financial assistance during the financial crisis under its emergency lending program, Term Securities Lending Facility, Term Auction Facility, mortgage-backed securities purchases and foreign currency swap lines. This amendment was included in the financial regulatory reform bill signed into law on July 21, 2010.

Along those lines, I have supported efforts to improve government transparency and so-called "sunshine laws" throughout my career. I have cosponsored and voted for legislation to require greater disclosure from Congress and the Administration. I have even crafted legislation with Congressman Mike Pence to promote a free press. Our bill provides a qualified privilege for reporters to protect confidential sources. With this type of protection, whistleblowers and other alert citizens are more likely to come forward to share information about their government and improve transparency.

However, there are certain limitations which must be balanced when considering public disclosure of sensitive issues. Using the legislation I developed with Mike Pence as an example, we provided a qualified privilege in order to compel a reporter to testify in cases where our national security was immediately threatened or a child's life was at stake. Likewise, it is important that certain classified information not be disclosed in a manner which might harm our national security. I also believe that certain, timely monetary information should be carefully disclosed.

The supervisory and regulatory functions of the Federal Reserve are subject to GAO audits to the same extent as the supervisory and regulatory functions of the other federal banking agencies. The GAO has full authority to audit the manner in which the Federal Reserve supervises and regulates bank holding companies on a consolidated basis. I understand that between 2009 and 2010, the GAO had 40 engagements (both completed and underway) involving the Federal Reserve. These reviews involve issues such as the Basel II capital framework, risk-management oversight, the Bank Secrecy Act, and the Board's Regulation B, which implements the Equal Credit Opportunity Act. In addition, the GAO has had inquiries over the same period related to American International Group (AIG), credit cards, payday lending, the capital purchase program (under TARP), and systemic risk determinations, among others. The Federal Reserve has provided the list below of frequent transparency reports for public review.

. Weekly Balance Sheets - H.4.1 Release: http://www.federalreserve.gov/releases/h41/

. Monthly Transparency Reports: http://www.federalreserve.gov/monetarypolicy/clbsreports.htm

. Policy statements for each FOMC Meeting:

http://www.federalreserve.gov/monetarypolicy/fomccalendars.htm

. Minutes of each FOMC Meeting:

http://www.federalreserve.gov/monetarypolicy/fomccalendars.htm

. Semiannual Monetary Policy Report & Testimony:

http://www.federalreserve.gov/monetarypolicy/mpr_default.htm

. Annual audit of the Federal Reserve's financial statement provided by an independent accounting firm: http://www.federalreserve.gov/boarddocs/rptcongress/annual09/pdf/audits.pdf

. Additional information on the emergency actions taken and credit facilities established during the financial crisis, including the terms of the facilities, conditions for participation, collateral requirements, collateral values, and total amount lent under each facility: http://www.federalreserve.gov/monetarypolicy/bst.htm.

The Federal Reserve System serves an important role in stabilizing our nation's economy. During the nineteenth century and the beginning of the twentieth cen ?tury, financial panics plagued the nation. These disruptions led to bank failures and business bankruptcies when the nation's banking system was unable to provide short-term funding to these troubled institutions. A severe crisis in 1907 prompted Congress to establish the National Monetary Commission, which suggested that Congress create an institution that would help prevent and con ?tain financial disruptions. Accordingly, in 1913, Congress passed the Federal Reserve Act "to provide for the establishment of Federal reserve banks, to furnish an elastic cur ?rency, to afford means of rediscounting commercial paper, to establish a more effective supervision of banking in the United States, and for other purposes."

Given its primary objective of determining long-term monetary policy, Congress created the Federal Reserve System to be independent from political influence. As such, they felt the Federal Reserve would be impervious to the inherently short-term focus of Congress and would avoid perpetual states of inflation.

These attributes are well described by the President and Chief Executive Officer of the Dallas Federal Reserve, Richard Fisher, who recently wrote:

"The President appoints and the Senate confirms the seven governors of the Federal Reserve System. The 12 Federal Reserve bankers, like me, who sit side by side with those governors in the Federal Open Market Committee (FOMC) are not subject to that process. We are hired and fired by nine-member boards of directors that represent the financial institutions and stakeholders of our respective districts.

We are not accountable to any Washington politicians, Democrat or Republican. We are politically agnostic and are guided solely by what we believe is the best way to encourage sustainable economic growth anchored by price stability.

In my capacity as president of the Dallas Fed, I represent Main Street—not Washington, nor Wall Street. Every time I speak at the Fed's policy-making meetings, I do so with that in mind. My views—including those that on occasion differ substantially from those of Mr. Bernanke and other FOMC members—are detailed in speeches that are available to all on the Dallas Fed's Web site, where they are recorded without fear of political retribution.

Regarding the Fed's overall accountability, ours is the only business in America that I know of that provides a public accounting of its balance sheet every week: It is called the H.4.1 release, and it is available on the Web. I suppose another set of eyes might provide further confidence regarding our holdings. But making the discussions held by me and my colleagues at the FOMC subject to "audit" would only lead to congressional second-guessing, creating a process where the 12 politically independent Federal Reserve bank presidents have to worry about satisfying Washington powers rather than representing Main Street's interests. This would lead us straight to the fate that was suffered by once great economies like pre-Weimar Germany and pre-Perón Argentina.

A great and powerful economy cannot create the conditions for sustainable noninflationary growth if its central bank is governed by a politicized monetary authority."

The United States has many examples of cases in which an independent body was critical to reacting to severe economic challenges. In the early 1980's our country was battling high inflation and unemployment. The Federal Reserve Chairman at the time was Paul Volcker. He made a number of very unpopular moves including raising interest rates to nearly 20 percent. While disliked at the time, these actions served to stem inflation and helped to bring about a period of relative stability and economic growth. The policies of the Federal Reserve at this time would have been politically impossible for any elected official.

I am not suggesting that I agree with every decision the Federal Reserve has made. In fact, oversight by the Congress is critical, along with the current public disclosure requirements. But I do believe that a measured amount of independence, expertise, and ability to react to market conditions is important for our long-term economic stability.

I will continue to closely monitor any additional efforts to increase transparency at the Federal Reserve Board. Thank you, again, for taking the time to contact me.

Sincerely,

Richard G. Lugar
United States Senator

RGL/cga

Noob
06-27-2012, 03:34 AM
Easy to use action center.

http://www.auditthefed.com/

Remember his End the Fed bill

Cosponsor and vote YES on H.R. 1094 to End the Fed

http://www.votervoice.net/Core/core.aspx?AID=972&Screen=alert&IssueId=25268&APP=GAC&SiteID=-1&VV_CULTURE=en-us

QWDC
06-27-2012, 07:04 AM
So what time today should this be voted on?

tsai3904
06-27-2012, 08:00 AM
So what time today should this be voted on?

10am ET.

You can watch the House Oversight Committee hearing here:
http://oversight.house.gov/markup/full-committee-business-meeting-30/

tsai3904
06-27-2012, 08:18 AM
Four new co-sponsors to HR 459 yesterday:

Rep Sessions, Pete [TX-32] - 6/26/2012
Rep Aderholt, Robert B. [AL-4] - 6/26/2012
Rep Renacci, James B. [OH-16] - 6/26/2012
Rep Reyes, Silvestre [TX-16] - 6/26/2012

HR 459 now has 255 cosponsors.

QWDC
06-27-2012, 08:37 AM
Passed the committee with the amendments.

ClydeCoulter
06-27-2012, 08:45 AM
Passed the committee with the amendment.

Which amendment? Issa's or Cumming's?

ClydeCoulter
06-27-2012, 08:48 AM
It appears that both Issa's and Cummings 2nd amendment passed (Cummings 2nd amendment authorizes more audits accoring to DP). Issa's will extend the audit to after Ron Paul leaves congress...wow

ClydeCoulter
06-27-2012, 09:35 AM
We need a 2/3 majority in the senate. Period.

Retweet: https://twitter.com/TheLoneCoyote/status/218000139913142276

Facebook it, tweet it, blog it, call them !

cstarace
06-27-2012, 01:10 PM
Called Congresswoman Hayworth's office a few minutes ago. Told the kid that she's been ignoring my emails and now that the bill has passed committee, it's time for a co-sponsorship. All hands on deck.

paulbot24
06-27-2012, 07:27 PM
Just got a letter from one of my senators in the mail today. The other one is co-sponsoring the bill so I'm not worried about him. This letter is ridiculous. It reminds me why people hate politicians. He starts out by "explaining" to me that the Fed is already audited annually by an outside auditor. True, but not what this bill is about and he knows it! He kindly underlined this sentence so as to like help me understand and stuff. After lots of circular logic and alot of BS he concludes that it is in everybody's best interests to NOT fully audit the fed. He speaks of the fed's activities that are presently and conveniently excluded in what I call the pseudo audit gift wrapped to Congress every year and why these "exclusions" are necessary. His reason? Brace yourself. I'll quote. "Those activities are excluded in order to preserve the independence and efficacy of the Federal Reserve's monetary policy decisions.The exclusion is intended to keep politicians from undermining the Fed's independence and injecting political consideration in to the conduct of monetary policy - something that could lead to rampant inflation." What a tool. :eek:

tsai3904
06-27-2012, 08:47 PM
Just got a letter from one of my senators in the mail today.

Thanks. Which Senator is this?

P3ter_Griffin
06-27-2012, 10:12 PM
Response from Ron Johnson:

Dear Joseph,

Thank you for taking the time to write me regarding the Federal Reserve.

The Federal Reserve is the central banking system of the United States. It is responsible for conducting the country's monetary policy by influencing credit conditions. It also protects the stability of our financial system by regulating banks and financial institutions. Its primary mandate should be to maintain the stable value of the U.S. dollar.

Congress made a mistake when it gave the Federal Reserve the dual mandate of fostering full employment and controlling inflation/deflation. Robust economic activity provides full employment and is influenced more by spending, tax, and regulatory policies than by monetary policy. Job creation is primarily a function of the private sector and the less the government interferes, the better. The Federal Reserve's attempts to manipulate the free market to achieve full employment has instead devalued the dollar and created moral hazard. I will support efforts to limit the Federal Reserve's mandate to maintaining a stable currency.

Because of its status as an independent agency, much of the Federal Reserve's actions are secret and not subject to scrutiny. It is important the agency maintains its independence so that its actions are not influenced by political considerations. However, regular audits of the Federal Reserve's operations and balance sheet should be conducted to ensure accountability for prior actions. It is not healthy for any organization to be free from accountability. Determining an optimum time interval between action and audit for the Federal Reserve will be key in striking the delicate balance between independence and accountability. I will support efforts to find that balance.

Thank you again for taking the time to share your thoughts. It is important for me to hear the views and concerns of the people I serve. Since taking office, I have received over 500,000 pieces of correspondence and have had over 200,000 participants in live forums and telephone town hall meetings. Please feel free to contact me in the future if I can further assist you or your family. It is an honor representing you and the good people of Wisconsin in the U.S. Senate.

Sincerely,

Ron Johnson
United States Senator

Some good stuff in there, but I'm not sure what he means here:

...It is not healthy for any organization to be free from accountability. Determining an optimum time interval between action and audit for the Federal Reserve will be key in striking the delicate balance between independence and accountability. I will support efforts to find that balance...

Not supporting it? Going to propose amendments?

tsai3904
06-27-2012, 10:40 PM
Some good stuff in there, but I'm not sure what he means here:

Not supporting it? Going to propose amendments?

Well Ron Paul supported a six month delay from the time of audit and the time the information is released. Senator Johnson sounds like he wants a delay between action and the time an audit is conducted. That is different than what Ron Paul supports.

P3ter_Griffin
06-27-2012, 11:41 PM
Well Ron Paul supported a six month delay from the time of audit and the time the information is released. Senator Johnson sounds like he wants a delay between action and the time an audit is conducted. That is different than what Ron Paul supports.

Thank you for clarifying.

I wonder why he would want a delay? I can only think of two distinct reasons. That he wants to give them time to trim down their balance sheet, or that he finds it important and thinks pushing back the audit till after the elections (speculation) to prove it not to be just another attack on Obama would garner some support. Is an audit in 2013 as good as an audit in 2012?

LCG8928
06-28-2012, 12:45 AM
The government has recently for whatever reason changed my towns congressional district so I have gone ahead and contacted by new congressman Hank Johnson. I will post it here if I get a response.

tsai3904
06-28-2012, 09:12 AM
Six new cosponsors to HR 459 yesterday:

Rep Doggett, Lloyd [TX-25] - 6/27/2012
Rep Buerkle, Ann Marie [NY-25] - 6/27/2012
Rep Braley, Bruce L. [IA-1] - 6/27/2012
Rep Pitts, Joseph R. [PA-16] - 6/27/2012
Rep Olson, Pete [TX-22] - 6/27/2012
Rep Sherman, Brad [CA-27] - 6/27/2012

HR 459 now has 261 cosponsors.

squirekyle
07-02-2012, 04:06 PM
Ron Paul just posted an article to his website saying there are 263 co-sponsors: http://paul.house.gov/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=1990:audit-the-fed-headed-for-the-house-floor&catid=64:2012-texas-straight-talk&Itemid=69

tsai3904
07-02-2012, 04:24 PM
Ron Paul just posted an article to his website saying there are 263 co-sponsors: http://paul.house.gov/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=1990:audit-the-fed-headed-for-the-house-floor&catid=64:2012-texas-straight-talk&Itemid=69

There's only 261 cosponsors. The official site tracking cosponsors, Thomas.loc.gov, shows 263 cosponsors but it includes two who are no longer in the House. Dean Heller is now in the Senate and David Wu resigned from the House.

squirekyle
07-03-2012, 03:15 PM
We really need over 290 to get a 2/3 majority in case Obama decides to veto. (Which my gut tells me he will, I don't trust him at all)

squirekyle
07-03-2012, 10:29 PM
I feel like this should be 100% of our focus right now. With the primaries over and the convention not until August. We really need to push this into the center stage. Everyone contact their Senators and Representatives NOW!

Monotaur
07-03-2012, 10:32 PM
I feel like this should be 100% of our focus right now. With the primaries over and the convention not until August. We really need to push this into the center stage. Everyone contact their Senators and Representatives NOW!

Luckily, my Congressman is a co-sponsor. I called his office today to let him know that I support this bill and hoped that he would vote for it when it comes to a vote this month. I also called 2 Congresspeople in Colorado who are NOT co-sponsors, urging them to become co-sponsors and to vote for the bill when it comes to a vote this month.

When I talked to one of the office aides, I said "...bill HR 459..." and she said "Oh, the Audit the Fed bill". I asked if she had gotten many calls about it, and she said that they had heard from quite a few people.

Keep it up!

squirekyle
07-04-2012, 10:54 PM
Luckily, my Congressman is a co-sponsor. I called his office today to let him know that I support this bill and hoped that he would vote for it when it comes to a vote this month. I also called 2 Congresspeople in Colorado who are NOT co-sponsors, urging them to become co-sponsors and to vote for the bill when it comes to a vote this month.

When I talked to one of the office aides, I said "...bill HR 459..." and she said "Oh, the Audit the Fed bill". I asked if she had gotten many calls about it, and she said that they had heard from quite a few people.

Keep it up!

DID YOU HEAR THAT!?!?!?!! GREAT WORK GUYS! LET'S MOVE!

squirekyle
07-05-2012, 08:58 AM
bump

Freespeech468
07-05-2012, 10:27 AM
ok so my representatives are all co-sponsors

I can not help but to feel like this is The Single Most Important thing we should be 100% focused on as Dr. Paul is also putting in a lot of time into gathering this bill to be passed.

What more can one do?

I would really like to see this extend beyond 2/3rds and over ride Obama's veto

tsai3904
07-05-2012, 10:36 AM
ok so my representatives are all co-sponsors

I can not help but to feel like this is The Most Important thing we should be 100% focused on as Dr. Paul is also putting in a lot of time into gathering this bill to be passed.

What more can one do?

-If your Representative and BOTH Senators are cosponsors, send them thank you emails and remind them that you will be watching how they vote.

-If any of your Congressmen are not cosponsors, email or call them and urge them to support the respective bill (HR 459 or S 202).

-Find out if any of your Congressmen will be holding town hall events. Attend the event and ask them why they support or do not support auditing the Fed. Even if they support the bill, they can explain it to the rest of the public attending the event. Try to get it on video.

-Try to get other people to contact their Congressmen about this. There's lots of Ron Paul groups online that can be helping in this effort.

-Biggest problem right now is that the Democrats are not interested in this effort at all. Only 20% of House Democrats have cosponsored HR 459 and ZERO Senate Democrats have cosponsored S 202. The liberal media (Huffington Post, Daily Kos, etc.) have been quiet on this issue. Democrats were instrumental in this effort two years ago. We had Alan Grayson as one of the most outspoken Congressmen on this issue and Huffington Post had a dedicated journalist reporting on this issue. Even the Presidents of SEIU and AFL-CIO wrote letters in support of auditing the Fed two years ago. All these actors are absent this time around because this issue is flying under the radar. We need to find ways to get the media to report on this.

ClydeCoulter
07-05-2012, 11:10 AM
-If your Representative and BOTH Senators are cosponsors, send them thank you emails and remind them that you will be watching how they vote.

-If any of your Congressmen are not cosponsors, email or call them and urge them to support the respective bill (HR 459 or S 202).

-Find out if any of your Congressmen will be holding town hall events. Attend the event and ask them why they support or do not support auditing the Fed. Even if they support the bill, they can explain it to the rest of the public attending the event. Try to get it on video.

-Try to get other people to contact their Congressmen about this. There's lots of Ron Paul groups online that can be helping in this effort.

-Biggest problem right now is that the Democrats are not interested in this effort at all. Only 20% of House Democrats have cosponsored HR 459 and ZERO Senate Democrats have cosponsored S 202. The liberal media (Huffington Post, Daily Kos, etc.) have been quiet on this issue. Democrats were instrumental in this effort two years ago. We had Alan Grayson as one of the most outspoken Congressmen on this issue and Huffington Post had a dedicated journalist reporting on this issue. Even the Presidents of SEIU and AFL-CIO wrote letters in support of auditing the Fed two years ago. All these actors are absent this time around because this issue is flying under the radar. We need to find ways to get the media to report on this.

Contacted my senators to urge them to co-sponsor "without amendment, no watering down the audit this time."

Please get this done, everyone !

squirekyle
07-05-2012, 11:26 AM

THIS.

Just emailed my two senators and plan on calling them later in the day. My rep. is already co-sponsoring. Keep holding them to the fire folks!

squirekyle
07-05-2012, 01:56 PM
bump.

squirekyle
07-05-2012, 02:46 PM
bump

squirekyle
07-06-2012, 08:31 AM
No new co-sponsors?

TrishW
07-06-2012, 08:52 AM
I have a few questions about the audit. I don't want to start a new thread cause I don't want that much attention to my fears. I know Ron Paul wants this audit about as bad as he's ever wanted anything! But can it all go wrong? I remember Ben Bernanke telling Paul... First do no harm.

What if America monetary worth is all smoke and mirrors? What if its all gone and an audit will crumble our economy? Does it matter if Fort Knox has long ago been emptied out? What if all we are is a paper castle.

Also, what good is an audit if it does not come as a surprise? I am sure that the powers know how to juggle, falsify, and smile... all the while lying their butts off.

Please show me where is the good that comes from this audit? I really want to feel the same optimism as all of you. Help me?

tsai3904
07-06-2012, 09:36 AM
I have a few questions about the audit. I don't want to start a new thread cause I don't want that much attention to my fears. I know Ron Paul wants this audit about as bad as he's ever wanted anything! But can it all go wrong? I remember Ben Bernanke telling Paul... First do no harm.

What if America monetary worth is all smoke and mirrors? What if its all gone and an audit will crumble our economy? Does it matter if Fort Knox has long ago been emptied out? What if all we are is a paper castle.

Also, what good is an audit if it does not come as a surprise? I am sure that the powers know how to juggle, falsify, and smile... all the while lying their butts off.

Please show me where is the good that comes from this audit? I really want to feel the same optimism as all of you. Help me?

A partial audit was included in Dodd-Frank two years ago and it was a very extensive audit. If that audit didn't bring down our economy, this audit won't do it either. This bill will only remove the last four remaining restrictions placed on the GAO when they audit the Fed.

Regardless of what we find out, why would you want to allow the Fed to act in secrecy though?

TrishW
07-06-2012, 09:48 AM
A partial audit was included in Dodd-Frank two years ago and it was a very extensive audit. If that audit didn't bring down our economy, this audit won't do it either. This bill will only remove the last four remaining restrictions placed on the GAO when they audit the Fed.

Regardless of what we find out, why would you want to allow the Fed to act in secrecy though?

I don't want them to work in secrecy. But I doubt that will be ratified by a planned audit. If we do not trust the fed, it has to be abolished or at least have people (who we do trust) looking over it every day, every transaction.

One thing I am fairly certain of..Ben Bernanke is nobody's fool. Under-estimating him would be foolish. I also do not see him as evil. I think everything that he has done has been approved by a much higher chain than what we see as our government. I really think they have been trying to keep our money strong. They are not going to be taken down by a simple audit.

We need to infiltrate their organization on a daily basis.

But anyway... I will go away, and hope that I am wrong. I really want Ron to get his audit. If that is what he wants, I want it for him too!

tsai3904
07-06-2012, 10:00 AM
I really want Ron to get his audit. If that is what he wants, I want it for him too!

Is your Representative a cosponsor of HR 459? Are your Senators cosponsors of S 202? If not, please contact their office and urge them to support the audit the Fed bills.

TrishW
07-06-2012, 10:52 AM
Is your Representative a cosponsor of HR 459? Are your Senators cosponsors of S 202? If not, please contact their office and urge them to support the audit the Fed bills.

Done! My Senator Roy Blunt is already a cosponsor for Rand Paul. But there are only 20? Do we need this to pass? Can we get the audit through with Ron Paul efforts alone?

tsai3904
07-06-2012, 11:19 AM
Done! My Senator Roy Blunt is already a cosponsor for Rand Paul. But there are only 20? Do we need this to pass? Can we get the audit through with Ron Paul efforts alone?

Thanks! Our biggest obstacle is getting the bill passed in the Senate. Two years ago, there was more bipartisan support for this bill and the liberal media was supportive of this issue. Even with that support, we couldn't get it passed the Senate two years ago. This year, we have much less enthusiasm from the left and our own supporters so it will take a lot more effort than any of us can imagine to get this passed this year. It's a shame there really isn't much enthusiasm for this as Ron Paul has said it would be his biggest legislative achievement in his career.

tsai3904
07-10-2012, 09:08 AM
Five new cosponsors for HR 459.

Rep Clarke, Hansen [MI-13] - 7/9/2012
Rep Grijalva, Raul M. [AZ-7] - 7/9/2012
Rep Bucshon, Larry [IN-8] - 7/9/2012
Rep Hastings, Doc [WA-4] - 7/9/2012
Rep Pingree, Chellie [ME-1] - 7/9/2012

Now up to 265 cosponsors.

UMULAS
07-10-2012, 12:31 PM
How many cosponsers do we need? And does anyone know any reps in my area; Broward County, Fl.

Tinnuhana
07-10-2012, 01:29 PM
Last time around, I think it got up to about 320 co-psonsors in the house. Now, they're at 269 if you include Ron Paul himself. The key is to keep the bill pure, without getting watered down. You can bet that Ben B. is making the rounds, schmoozing people about how the poor fed just can't operate with oversight.
Both NH reps have co-sponsored, but neither NH senator is on board yet. Come on, NH. Get Ayotte on board.

tsai3904
07-10-2012, 01:32 PM
How many cosponsers do we need? And does anyone know any reps in my area; Broward County, Fl.

A bill doesn't need any cosponsors to become law. It needs to pass the House of Representatives and the Senate and then signed by the President.

To pass the House, it will need 2/3 or just majority vote to pass depending on how the bill is brought up before the floor.

As far as who your Representative in the House is, enter your zip code here to find out:
http://house.gov/htbin/findrep?ZIP=

Then check this list to see if your Rep is a cosponsor of HR 459:
http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?377679-H.R.-459-Audit-the-Fed-Co-Sponsors

As far as the Senate, Marco Rubio has cosponsored S 202 but Bill Nelson has not.

Call Senator Nelson's DC office at 202-224-5274 and urge him to support S 202, the Federal Reserve Transparency Act of 2011.

tsai3904
07-10-2012, 01:36 PM
Both NH reps have co-sponsored, but neither NH senator is on board yet. Come on, NH. Get Ayotte on board.

Ayotte meets with constituents in DC on Thursdays. If you know any New Hampshire residents visiting DC, make sure you get them to visit her office.

http://www.ayotte.senate.gov/?p=coffee_with_kelly

Shaheen meets with constituents in DC on Wednesdays.

http://www.shaheen.senate.gov/services/coffee/

Tinnuhana
07-10-2012, 07:22 PM
Sen Barrasso, John 10/6/2011 WY
Sen Blunt, Roy 10/6/2011 MO
Sen Boozman, John 5/24/2011 AR
Sen Burr, Richard 10/6/2011 NC
Sen Chambliss, Saxby 7/25/2011 GA
Sen Coburn, Tom 10/6/2011 OK
Sen Cornyn, John 3/28/2012 TX
Sen Crapo, Mike 9/6/2011 ID
Sen DeMint, Jim 1/26/2011 SC
Sen Grassley, Chuck 10/31/2011 IA
Sen Hatch, Orrin G. 5/24/2011 UT
Sen Heller, Dean 6/22/2011 NV
Sen Inhofe, James M. 10/6/2011 OK
Sen Lee, Mike 3/1/2011 UT
Sen McCain, John 10/31/2011 AZ
Sen Risch, James E. 10/6/2011 ID
Sen Rubio, Marco 10/6/2011 FL
Sen Thune, John 10/6/2011 SD
Sen Vitter, David 1/26/2011 LA
Sen Wicker, Roger F. 10/6/2011 MS

Well,that didn't transfer so well from ExCel, but anyway, here are the co-sponsors, along with Rand. That makes 21 out of 100.

tsai3904
07-11-2012, 09:26 AM
Two new cosponsors for HR 459:

Rep Berkley, Shelley [NV-1] - 7/10/2012
Rep Schiff, Adam B. [CA-29] - 7/10/2012

Now up to 267 cosponsors.

truthspeaker
07-11-2012, 09:53 AM
Don't trust "co-sponsoring" alone.

Everyone PLEASE re-call/ re-write your congressmen 1-3 days before the vote. Rep Pete Olson TX-22 cosponsored this bill last time and then didn't even vote for it.

tsai3904
07-11-2012, 10:06 AM
Don't trust "co-sponsoring" alone.

Everyone PLEASE re-call/ re-write your congressmen 1-3 days before the vote. Rep Pete Olson TX-22 cosponsored this bill last time and then didn't even vote for it.

I agree with you that you can't trust cosponsoring alone but it does get them on the record that can be used against them in the future if they vote against the bill.

Also, in the last Congress, the House never got a chance to vote on the bill. Only Members of the House Financial Services Committee had the opportunity for a clean up or down vote on the bill.

squirekyle
07-11-2012, 10:51 AM
267? Sweet!

tsai3904
07-11-2012, 11:16 AM
267? Sweet!

And there's still 53 Reps who cosponsored HR 1207 last Congress who haven't cosponsored HR 459 this Congress.

sailingaway
07-11-2012, 11:27 AM
And there's still 53 Reps who cosponsored HR 1207 last Congress who haven't cosponsored HR 459 this Congress.

Do we have a list of those to target separately? As in 'why not'?

tsai3904
07-11-2012, 11:28 AM
Do we have a list of those to target separately? As in 'why not'?

Bishop, Timothy [NY-1]
Boehner, John [OH-8]
Boren, Dan [OK-2]
Brady, Kevin [TX-8]
Brown, Corrine [FL-3]
Cantor, Eric [VA-7]
Chu, Judy [CA-32]
Clay, Wm. Lacy [MO-1]
Cohen, Steve [TN-9]
Courtney, Joe [CT-2]
Cuellar, Henry [TX-28]
Doyle, Michael [PA-14]
Edwards, Donna [MD-4]
Farr, Sam [CA-17]
Filner, Bob [CA-51]
Fudge, Marcia [OH-11]
Heinrich, Martin [NM-1]
Higgins, Brian [NY-27]
Hirono, Mazie [HI-2]
Holden, Tim [PA-17]
Issa, Darrell [CA-49]
Jackson, Jesse, Jr. [IL-2]
Johnson, Eddie Bernice [TX-30]
Johnson, Henry "Hank" [GA-4]
Kildee, Dale [MI-5]
King, Peter [NY-3]
Langevin, James [RI-2]
Lewis, John [GA-5]
Lujan, Ben [NM-3]
McNerney, Jerry [CA-11]
Miller, Brad [NC-13]
Murphy, Christopher [CT-5]
Nadler, Jerrold [NY-8]
Nunes, Devin [CA-21]
Pascrell, Bill, Jr. [NJ-8]
Pastor, Ed [AZ-4]
Perlmutter, Ed [CO-7]
Quigley, Mike [IL-5]
Reichert, David [WA-8]
Richardson, Laura [CA-37]
Royce, Edward [CA-40]
Ruppersberger, C. A. Dutch [MD-2]
Ryan, Paul [WI-1]
Ryan, Tim [OH-17]
Sarbanes, John [MD-3]
Schakowsky, Janice [IL-9]
Scott, David [GA-13]

tsai3904
07-12-2012, 09:20 AM
One new cosponsor to HR 459:

Rep Hayworth, Nan A. S. [NY-19] - 7/11/2012

Now up to 268 cosponsors.

sailingaway
07-12-2012, 10:50 AM
Bishop, Timothy [NY-1]
Boehner, John [OH-8]
Boren, Dan [OK-2]
Brady, Kevin [TX-8]
Brown, Corrine [FL-3]
Cantor, Eric [VA-7]
Chu, Judy [CA-32]
Clay, Wm. Lacy [MO-1]
Cohen, Steve [TN-9]
Courtney, Joe [CT-2]
Cuellar, Henry [TX-28]
Doyle, Michael [PA-14]
Edwards, Donna [MD-4]
Farr, Sam [CA-17]
Filner, Bob [CA-51]
Fudge, Marcia [OH-11]
Heinrich, Martin [NM-1]
Higgins, Brian [NY-27]
Hirono, Mazie [HI-2]
Holden, Tim [PA-17]
Issa, Darrell [CA-49]
Kildee, Dale [MI-5]
King, Peter [NY-3]
Langevin, James [RI-2]
Lewis, John [GA-5]
Lujan, Ben [NM-3]
McNerney, Jerry [CA-11]
Miller, Brad [NC-13]
Nadler, Jerrold [NY-8]
Nunes, Devin [CA-21]
Pastor, Ed [AZ-4]
Perlmutter, Ed [CO-7]
Quigley, Mike [IL-5]
Reichert, David [WA-8]
Royce, Edward [CA-40]
Ryan, Paul [WI-1]
Ryan, Tim [OH-17]
Sarbanes, John [MD-3]
Scott, David [GA-13]

thank you.

I will contact my rep again. He is redistricted so he will be running against another INCUMBENT who was also redistricted, in November.

But this 'money bomb' that C4L is doing both seems misuse of the term 'money bomb' and poorly aimed. I would think while we want activists to go to both the House and Senate, the Senate needs more work.

squirekyle
07-12-2012, 12:32 PM
268, keep up the heat until we get in the 290 range!

Tinnuhana
07-12-2012, 01:09 PM
Up to 271 now, I think.

tsai3904
07-12-2012, 01:22 PM
Up to 271 now, I think.

3 listed cosponsors are no longer in the House.

Dean Heller is now in the Senate
Thad McCotter resigned.
David Wu resigned.

squirekyle
07-12-2012, 04:07 PM
Just got an email from my senator, sounds like he's against a full audit:

Thanks very much for getting in touch with me and letting me know what’s on your mind regarding the Federal Reserve System.
In 1913, Congress created the Federal Reserve System to serve as the central bank of the United States in order to provide the nation with a safer, more flexible, and more stable monetary and financial system. The Federal Reserve does not run on taxpayer dollars from Congress and returns any profits to the U.S. Treasury – including nearly $35 billion in 2008.* However, by law the Federal Reserve is accountable to Congress.* Members of its Board of Governors are confirmed by the U.S. Senate, and Federal Reserve officials must appear before congressional committees several times each year.* In addition, the Federal Reserve must issue annual reports and undergo regular audits that cover most of its activities.
I don’t believe that Congress should try to micromanage the Federal Reserve or weight it down with overly burdensome regulations. It was set up to be independent of the political trends in Washington, and it should remain that way. That’s why I have voted against proposals that would go too far in limiting the Fed’s independence. However, in order to provide Americans with more information about the extraordinary steps the Fed has taken in responding to the nation’s economic crisis, I voted for an amendment to provide for an additional audit of the Federal Reserve Bank. The Fed would now be required to post information online about lending programs that have been used during this recession and include the names of entities receiving aid, how much aid was received, a repayment plan for the aid, and the reasons aid was given.
I appreciate your taking the time to let me know where you stand.* I’ll be sure to keep your comments in mind when the Federal Reserve is discussed and debated in Washington and in Tennessee.

squirekyle
07-13-2012, 01:29 PM
bump for importance.

ClydeCoulter
07-13-2012, 03:13 PM
Bump, we need VETO Override numbers on this in both the house and senate !

squirekyle
07-13-2012, 06:52 PM
Bump, we need VETO Override numbers on this in both the house and senate !

THIS. X20

squirekyle
07-15-2012, 09:14 AM
No new co-sponsors? C'mon guys, we're better than this.

ClydeCoulter
07-15-2012, 10:01 AM
No new co-sponsors? C'mon guys, we're better than this.

IF we can get enough sponsors and the votes are "Veto Override" large in both houses, Obama will have to sign it so that he not look weak.

Spread far and wide !

PolicyReader
07-16-2012, 02:28 AM
IF we can get enough sponsors and the votes are "Veto Override" large in both houses, Obama will have to sign it so that he not look weak.

Spread far and wide !
:toady: bump :toady:

ClydeCoulter
07-16-2012, 06:45 AM
Okay, so I wrote my senators, again, but with stronger language, I'm tired of the "blah, blah, blah, transparency, blah, blah, but, but, but, blah, but..." crap responses.

"Dear Sen. Daniel Coats and Sen. Richard Lugar:

I support S. 202: Federal Reserve Transparency Act of 2011 because it is time for "We the People" to get relief from the constant deflation of the value of our savings and labors.

It is your responsibility to protect the liberties of the people. The liberties of the people have been eroded continuosly by each administration and each seating of congress. This has to stop, now. It is time for you to live up to the position that has been entrusted to you limited and lighted by the constitution.
"

squirekyle
07-16-2012, 09:34 AM
At the rate were getting co-sponsors we WON'T be anywhere close to a 2/3 majority by the end of this month. Ron Laul's retiring in Nov. so it's now or never. :-/

squirekyle
07-16-2012, 12:18 PM
bump

ClydeCoulter
07-16-2012, 12:34 PM
At the rate were getting co-sponsors we WON'T be anywhere close to a 2/3 majority by the end of this month. Ron Paul's retiring in Nov. so it's now or never. :-/

^^ THIS ^^

We need this, Ron needs this, the world needs this !

note: corrected spelling of Paul in squirekyle's post.

Has anyone tried using PopVox, if you have a google account you can login with it and they can notify you of bills that are similar to what you track, etc...Then you get a "heads up" on bills as they come up. Also, it allows you to see an overview of how your rep and senators have voted compared to your support/disapprove votes. And, shows how other popvox users are voting on the same bills, with comments.

Spoa
07-16-2012, 12:50 PM
I can already hear President Obama threatening to cut off campaign funds for any Democrat who supports this bill. Veto proof is possible, but it is very difficult to get. That is why we need more conservatives and Republicans. If you look at the co-sponsor list for both the house and senate version, you can see that most Republicans end up supporting this bill. Not one Democrat in the senate, and very few Democrats in the house have announced their support for this bill.

Let's keep up the fight though and hope for the best!

tsai3904
07-16-2012, 01:13 PM
If you look at the co-sponsor list for both the house and senate version, you can see that most Republicans end up supporting this bill. Not one Democrat in the senate, and very few Democrats in the house have announced their support for this bill.

226 of 241 (93.8%) House Republicans have cosponsored HR 459
43 of 190 (22.6%) House Democrats have cosponsored HR 459

It should be easy to convince the remaining 15 Republicans to cosponsor the bill.

There are also 44 Democrats who cosponsored HR 1207 in last Congress who have not yet cosponsored HR 459.

Freespeech468
07-16-2012, 01:54 PM
Bump!

Iv contacted my Reps, all of them support these bills.

I'v Donated to C4L money bomb twice.

Anything else an ordinary guy like myself can do to get more co-sponsors?

tsai3904
07-16-2012, 02:03 PM

If you know other people interested in this issue, get them to contact their Congressmen.

You can help call other Congressmen. Most of the time, they don't ask if you're a constituent but to be safe, you can find a zip code in their district in case they ask.

You can write letters to the editors.

If you know how to get the liberal media to report on this issue, that would help the most. They have been completely silent this year when they were a huge help two years ago. We need to find a way to get HuffingtonPost, DailyKos, etc. to write on this like they did two years ago because without Democratic support, this will go nowhere.

HOLLYWOOD
07-16-2012, 02:54 PM
Start @ 3:14 mark

ISSA speaks @ 3:40

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DTqiP_7txsM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DTqiP_7txsM

squirekyle
07-17-2012, 12:22 AM
Bump!

Glad to see other people are posting and seeing this as important. :) Contact your Representatives again the day before or of the vote to remind them to vote for the bill. Sometimes they'll co-sponsor but never vote on the legislation.

tsai3904
07-17-2012, 09:22 AM
One new cosponsor on July 13.

Rep Royce, Edward R. [CA-40] - 7/13/2012

HR 459 now has 269 cosponsors.

ClydeCoulter
07-17-2012, 09:29 AM
Glad to see other people are posting and seeing this as important. :) Contact your Representatives again the day before or of the vote to remind them to vote for the bill. Sometimes they'll co-sponsor but never vote on the legislation.

Yes, they need to show up, and vote "for" the bill.

squirekyle
07-17-2012, 03:42 PM

Sweet. One closer toward the goal. Keep the pressure on!

ClydeCoulter
07-17-2012, 05:57 PM
http://vividlife.me/ultimate/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/we_can_do_it.jpg

eleganz
07-17-2012, 06:06 PM

Holy shit ed royce is a neocon that is running in MY district, he isn't my current rep but he is running for my new re-districted district so I will call him and say his decision to cosponsor HR 459 will help me make my decision this november (positive reinforcement) :)

squirekyle
07-17-2012, 07:22 PM
http://vividlife.me/ultimate/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/we_can_do_it.jpg

Indeed. :-D

squirekyle
07-18-2012, 08:20 AM
7/18/2012 bump

tsai3904
07-18-2012, 08:54 AM
We finally have a new cosponsor to S 202. The first one in almost four months.

Sen Graham, Lindsey [SC] - 7/17/2012

S 202 now has 21 cosponsors.

There was also one new cosponsor to HR 459 yesterday:

Rep Palazzo, Steven M. [MS-4] - 7/17/2012

HR 459 now has 270 cosponsors.

squirekyle
07-18-2012, 11:01 AM
We finally have a new cosponsor to S 202. The first one in almost four months.

S 202 now has 21 cosponsors.

There was also one new cosponsor to HR 459 yesterday:

HR 459 now has 270 cosponsors.

Sweet. Lindsey Graham. I'm surprised much.

squirekyle
07-18-2012, 03:56 PM
7/18/12 bump

tsai3904
07-18-2012, 04:57 PM
Tuesday, July 24

HR 459 will have a clean or up down vote on that date.

http://www.campaignforliberty.org/profile/7788/blog/2012/07/18/date-set-audit-fed-vote

bbwarfield
07-18-2012, 06:15 PM
Lindsey Graham co-sponsored? wwwwwwwwwhhhhhhhhhaaaaaaaaaattttttt...... makes me want to rwithdraw the bill cause it probly has some indeffinite detention clause hidden in it

sailingaway
07-18-2012, 06:27 PM

actually, it is 273 now:

http://my.firedoglake.com/rp12/2012/07/18/audit-the-fed-action-alert-ron-pauls-full-audit-of-the-federal-reserve-hr-459-s-202-in-the-senate-will-be-up-for-vote-in-house-tuesday-july-24-it-needs-23-vote-to-pass-since-it-will-be-brought/

If any of you have or would sign up for a firedoglake account to 'recommend' that link ^^ it would make it more visible on the site...

tsai3904
07-18-2012, 06:31 PM
actually, it is 273 now:

http://my.firedoglake.com/rp12/2012/07/18/audit-the-fed-action-alert-ron-pauls-full-audit-of-the-federal-reserve-hr-459-s-202-in-the-senate-will-be-up-for-vote-in-house-tuesday-july-24-it-needs-23-vote-to-pass-since-it-will-be-brought/

If any of you have or would sign up for a firedoglake account to 'recommend' that link ^^ it would make it more visible on the site...

No, any time you see an official count, you have to subtract 3 because Heller, McCotter and Wu are no longer in the House but they keep getting listed as cosponsors.

sailingaway
07-18-2012, 06:41 PM
No, any time you see an official count, you have to subtract 3 because Heller, McCotter and Wu are no longer in the House but they keep getting listed as cosponsors.

Oh. Thanks, I didn't know that.

squirekyle
07-18-2012, 11:21 PM
7/19/12 bump

tsai3904
07-18-2012, 11:37 PM
If you want to help make calls, these are the ones you should focus on. You can find their phone numbers here: http://house.gov/representatives/

List of Representatives who cosponsored HR 1207 in last Congress but have yet to cosponsor HR 459:

Bishop, Timothy [NY-1]
Boehner, John [OH-8]
Boren, Dan [OK-2]
Brady, Kevin [TX-8]
Brown, Corrine [FL-3]
Cantor, Eric [VA-7]
Chu, Judy [CA-32]
Clay, Wm. Lacy [MO-1]
Cohen, Steve [TN-9]
Courtney, Joe [CT-2]
Cuellar, Henry [TX-28]
Davis, Danny [IL-7]
Doyle, Michael [PA-14]
Edwards, Donna [MD-4]
Farr, Sam [CA-17]
Filner, Bob [CA-51]
Fudge, Marcia [OH-11]
Heinrich, Martin [NM-1]
Higgins, Brian [NY-27]
Hirono, Mazie [HI-2]
Holden, Tim [PA-17]
Issa, Darrell [CA-49]
Kildee, Dale [MI-5]
King, Peter [NY-3]
Langevin, James [RI-2]
Lewis, John [GA-5]
Lujan, Ben [NM-3]
McNerney, Jerry [CA-11]
Miller, Brad [NC-13]
Nadler, Jerrold [NY-8]
Nunes, Devin [CA-21]
Pastor, Ed [AZ-4]
Perlmutter, Ed [CO-7]
Quigley, Mike [IL-5]
Reichert, David [WA-8]
Ryan, Paul [WI-1]
Ryan, Tim [OH-17]
Sarbanes, John [MD-3]
Scott, David [GA-13]
Shuler, Heath [NC-11]
Slaughter, Louise [NY-28]
Smith, Adam [WA-9]
Sutton, Betty [OH-13]
Thompson, Bennie [MS-2]
Walz, Timothy [MN-1]

Drex
07-19-2012, 06:30 AM
BUMP

squirekyle
07-19-2012, 08:43 AM
BUMP

thanks!

tsai3904
07-19-2012, 09:31 AM
One new cosponsor to HR 459:

Rep Owens, William L. [NY-23] - 7/18/2012

HR 459 now has 271 cosponsors. 2/3 majority would mean 288 votes if all 432 Reps are present (3 are vacant).

cstarace
07-19-2012, 10:05 AM
Got an email from my Rep a few days ago (Nan Hayworth) notifying me that she's now a cosponsor. I like to think my five emails and two calls had something to do with it, lol! Keep at it everybody!

tsai3904
07-19-2012, 10:46 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDeBtku3uMY

sailingaway
07-19-2012, 10:48 AM

I love this video style, it is so much better! I hope he keeps it, going forward!!

I can't hear a word. I don't know why that is, but I'll have to look at it later.

squirekyle
07-19-2012, 11:12 AM
I love this video style, it is so much better! I hope he keeps it, going forward!!

I can't hear a word. I don't know why that is, but I'll have to look at it later.

Looks very Presidental. I really hope and pray for a 2/3 majority

squirekyle
07-19-2012, 11:14 AM
Sailingaway or some other admin., can you change the name of this post from "In JULY" to "July 24th"? And maybe get rid of "go into RNC with this" since we know it's going to happen if RP and Mitt Romney from his tweet has anything to do with it. Thanks!

squirekyle
07-19-2012, 04:58 PM
bump

squirekyle
07-19-2012, 08:25 PM
bump

tsai3904
07-19-2012, 09:08 PM
We have Friday and Monday left to call our Reps.

ClydeCoulter
07-19-2012, 09:36 PM
Sailingaway or some other admin., can you change the name of this post from "In JULY" to "July 24th"? And maybe get rid of "go into RNC with this" since we know it's going to happen if RP and Mitt Romney from his tweet has anything to do with it. Thanks!
^^

sailingaway
07-19-2012, 10:04 PM

I put in the 24th. I can change it to the Senate date when we have it.

Romney just said Ron is tireless, in his tweet. Not sure that says much of anything.

ClydeCoulter
07-19-2012, 10:11 PM
I put in the 24th. I can change it to the Senate date when we have it.

Romney just said Ron is tireless, in his tweet. Not sure that says much of anything.

Although there is already a thread about this tweet, I posted that tweet on FB and it was taken by others (non-Paulers) as a complement to Ron.

sailingaway
07-19-2012, 10:17 PM
I agree it is a compliment, I dont think it is necessarily a vow of support, however.

I just read another piece on Bernanke speaking to Congress at firedoglake and posted the details for the HR 459 vote in the comment section.

sailingaway
07-19-2012, 10:21 PM
retweet here: https://twitter.com/usernamenuse/status/226168417684688896

ClydeCoulter
07-19-2012, 10:33 PM
retweet here: https://twitter.com/usernamenuse/status/226168417684688896

Good tweet retweeted, thanks :)

BTW: This is my reply to Romney's tweet: https://twitter.com/TheLoneCoyote/status/226162141491781632

sailingaway
07-19-2012, 10:39 PM
Good tweet retweeted, thanks :)

BTW: This is my reply to Romney's tweet: https://twitter.com/TheLoneCoyote/status/226162141491781632

excellent, and retweeted.

tsai3904
07-19-2012, 10:57 PM
lol

Remember how Elijah Cummings tried to kill the bill in the House Oversight Committee?

Look at what he wrote in 2009:

http://cummings.house.gov/press-release/cummings-pens-letter-encouraging-federal-reserve-transparency

ClydeCoulter
07-19-2012, 11:02 PM
lol

Remember how Elijah Cummings tried to kill the bill in the House Oversight Committee?

Look at what he wrote in 2009:

http://cummings.house.gov/press-release/cummings-pens-letter-encouraging-federal-reserve-transparency

So, do these guys have "handlers" thet tell them what to support when? We know that some legislation is written by corporations that want to stiffle competition. Is there some that "play" the senators and representatives to keep legislation from passing or to get it passed, and they just use different ones even when the bills are the same/similar?

Tinnuhana
07-19-2012, 11:51 PM
There are now 274 co-sponsors. With Ron, that gives just over 63% of the house. They need 66.7% So pressure needs to be put on people to follow through and vote for the audit. Here's hoping others will vote for it even though they didn't come on as co-sponsors. Esp. those up for election should be contacted. Both representatives from NH are co-sponsors. Neither senator has. Romney is up here Friday with Ayotte. Maybe a good time to ask Kelly when she's going to co-sponsor, instead of waiting to see which way the wind blows on the house vote.

tsai3904
07-19-2012, 11:59 PM
There are now 274 co-sponsors.

There's only 271. 3 of the cosponsors are no longer in the House (Heller, McCotter and Wu).

tsai3904
07-20-2012, 09:52 AM
If you haven't called or emailed your Representative in awhile, please do so today. Remember, the vote is on Tuesday.

Calling takes less than 2 minutes. When you call, a staffer will pick up and all you need to say is that you want to urge the Congressman to support HR 459, the Federal Reserve Transparency Act. The staffer will take note of the bill number and may or may not ask for your personal information (name, address, phone number, etc.). You do not have to provide that information if you don't want to. At the very least, if they ask, provide a zip code so they know you're a constituent.

tsai3904
07-20-2012, 12:04 PM
bump for activism

There are 160 Representatives who haven't cosponsored HR 459. Please call or email your Representative. It takes less than 5 minutes of your time to help Ron Paul do something he's been working on for 30 years. He first introduced this bill in 1981.

squirekyle
07-20-2012, 12:25 PM
bump

tsai3904
07-20-2012, 02:57 PM
Eric Cantor has released the House's schedule for next week (July 23-26):
http://majorityleader.gov/Floor/

It looks like HR 459 will come up for a vote sometime between Tuesday and Thursday. Since Campaign for Liberty said they heard it was Tuesday, we should go off of that assumption for now. Please pledge to call your Representative on Monday as HR 459 will come up for a vote next week.

squirekyle
07-20-2012, 04:19 PM
bump for activism

There are 160 Representatives who haven't cosponsored HR 459. Please call or email your Representative. It takes less than 5 minutes of your time to help Ron Paul do something he's been working on for 30 years. He first introduced this bill in 1981.

indeed. bump

squirekyle
07-22-2012, 12:03 PM
bump

squirekyle
07-22-2012, 01:51 PM
bump!

ClydeCoulter
07-22-2012, 02:18 PM
bump for activism

Let's get this done, 2/3+ of the house.

squirekyle
07-22-2012, 10:14 PM
bump

squirekyle
07-23-2012, 06:52 AM
Bump

squirekyle
07-23-2012, 08:24 AM
Just called representatives, only took a couple of min.

squirekyle
07-23-2012, 09:53 AM
bump

ClydeCoulter
07-23-2012, 10:40 AM
Called my rep, he's in :D

squirekyle
07-23-2012, 11:06 AM
Called my rep, he's in :D

Great!

squirekyle
07-23-2012, 11:31 AM
bump

squirekyle
07-23-2012, 01:13 PM
keep it up!

squirekyle
07-23-2012, 02:49 PM
final bump today

tsai3904
07-23-2012, 06:40 PM
Legislative schedule for Tuesday, July 24 includes H.R. 459:

http://majorityleader.gov/floor/7-24-12.pdf

tsai3904
07-24-2012, 08:36 AM
One new cosponsor to S. 202 yesterday:

Sen Murkowski, Lisa [AK] - 7/23/2012

S. 202 now has 22 cosponsors.

MelissaCato
07-24-2012, 09:18 AM
Well, I got 54 houses canvassed this morning and I could only get 22 of them to call from my phone. I'm taking a break now .. it's getting hot out there.

tsai3904
07-24-2012, 09:19 AM
Well, I got 54 houses canvassed this morning and I could only get 22 of them to call from my phone. I'm taking a break now .. it's getting hot out there.

Wow...thanks!

TrishW
07-24-2012, 09:49 AM

That is great!!!

MelissaCato
07-24-2012, 10:33 AM
Ya well, all anyone could do really was call and ask Tim Holden to vote YES. Apparently he doesn't know if he's for it or against it still.