PDA

View Full Version : How to debate O'Reilly people?

revned
05-18-2012, 04:00 PM
I probably spelled the guy's name wrong, but, that guy really knows how to irritate the piss out of me.

I've seen people debate him in the media and he seems so clueless to actual, factual information that it is beyond hilarity; but at the same time people seem to believe what he is saying. So I am here wondering, what are the main points of argument with the O'Reilly people?

I ask this because I saw a bunch of people sitting at a table today reading a book by him and I really felt like sitting down at the table and finding out why they think he has it right. If I see this again, I'd like to be equipped with information that will help people think past what he has to say, as I feel he is quite condescending.

jemuf
05-18-2012, 04:12 PM
I hate o'reilly with a passion because he attempted to do something very devious to Ron Paul. It was so devious that I won't even mention it in case some neocon or Obama lover is here looking to start trouble.

Less is always best. I'd aim just for planting seeds, and be very nonchalant when doing it. He has credibility issues that can be researched with Bing.

I'd say, "Oh o'reilly...he's that guy who said he was attacked in DC by OWS. But there was a cellphone video that actually showed he hit someone with an umbrella because the guy kept asking him if he just came from Gingrich's fundraiser. I wonder why he said he was attacked?"

heavenlyboy34
05-18-2012, 04:13 PM
Bill doesn't actually debate. He just bickers. His fans tend to adopt this style-best to avoid it in the first place.

Noble Savage
05-18-2012, 04:20 PM
its fox news CORPORATION ... he is just a tool in the company store...you should feel sorry for him

cstarace
05-18-2012, 04:34 PM
You can't. Anybody who watches O'Reilly is an idiot.

"Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience." - Mark Twain

COpatriot
05-18-2012, 08:20 PM
It is about as possible to have a genuine, honest debate with a mouth-breathing Faux Noise kool-aid drinker as it is to divide by 0.

July
05-20-2012, 12:25 PM
There are a few main principles I find are helpful to stick to, if you are going to attempt to debate any FoxNews and/or Talk Radio influenced Republican:

1) First, don't come on too strong about how Obama and Romney (or Republicans and Democrats) are essentially the same, 2 sides of the same coin, etc. Respect that they still do care about some of the smaller differences between them, and try to meet them half way on that point. This is a conversation that is better brought up later on, if they start to open up to your views, but not right out of the gate.

2) Secondly, if they believe that you think it doesn't matter if Obama wins another term, they'll shut you down. This is related to the first point, but if you come on too strongly about this, they will see you as being more of an opponent than someone potentially on their side. A lot of regular listeners to O'Reilly, Rush, Hannity, are very concerned and fearful about Obama winning another term.

3) Thirdly, try to establish some common ground on at least one issue somewhere, and then branch off from there. Don't start off the debate by being critical, or criticizing Fox News, Rush, or wherever they get their information. They will feel like you are trying to be combative, or superior, and block you out before you even have a chance to make your case. So first, establish some kind of common ground to work with, before you start jumping in with critique and disagreements.

FindLiberty
05-20-2012, 01:06 PM
You can't. Anybody who watches O'Reilly is an idiot.

"Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience." - Mark Twain

Sounds like a good plan. I especially like the "don't watch" angle.

DGambler
05-20-2012, 01:17 PM
Find something they care about and then show them how O'Reilly blatantly lied about it, shouldn't be too hard to do. I actually credit O'Reilly for waking me up, caught him lying through his teeth back in 2005 about something I knew a great deal about and I started questioning him, then Hannity, then Rush and voila the alarm went off.

Kodaddy
05-20-2012, 01:33 PM
I sometimes like to play stupid while using researchable, factual information.
" oh, thanks for setting me straight... I thought I heard mr. O'riely say this... Hold on, I'll look it up for us... Whoa, dude, he really did say this... Wow, I can't believe they're lying to us... Why do you think they are doing that? Do you think they may have lied about something else?... It just doesn't make sense..."

Brick-in-the-Wall
05-20-2012, 05:26 PM
It doesn't work for everybody but I just charge in throwing facts into their faces.

I call it the "George Carlin technique" but it's not for everybody. I know I'm right because I side with liberty and the Constitution but you have to have the guts to stand toe to toe with a Neo-Con and not blink.

WilliamShrugged
05-20-2012, 05:35 PM
Don't....Most will be died of natural causes in the next 20 years.

Henry Rogue
05-20-2012, 07:11 PM
My Limbaugh loving Brother made a comment once about Ron Paul being extreme. I told him “not unless you consider George Washington and Thomas Jefferson extreme.” That shut him up.

Voluntary Man
05-20-2012, 07:27 PM
first thing to do with O'Reilly people is to break the ice. tell them that they look athletic. ask if they were ever in the Special Olympics.

Okie RP fan
05-20-2012, 07:29 PM
Use facts, not opinions.

Then, drop some truth hammers when talking about foreign policy and say "Ron Paul has received more contributions from active service members than anyone else combined."

row333au
05-20-2012, 07:37 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cX77HCmJAyA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LEO7Ilh0fLM&feature=fvwrel

The Goat
05-20-2012, 07:57 PM
Start talking to them about how crazy MSNBC is one you get them going then start talking about how stupid and crazy FOX news is. that usually works for me. Don't forget the monsanto case, if they don't know about that tell them they don't know anything but the lies FOX tells them. lol

kcchiefs6465
05-20-2012, 08:32 PM
Use the infamous O'Reilly debate techniques- talk over them, cut them off, misrepresent what they say, and insult them. Maybe then, they will see the similarities and stop watching his brand of "journalism." Another good technique for O'Reilly watchers is to irrationally link multiple incredible misrepresentations with a straight face. Say; drugs, pedophilia, and O'Reilly. (What I am referencing, is so incredibly ridiculous, I'd rather not repeat it)

kcchiefs6465
05-20-2012, 08:55 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dpAEhZvwVMg
Q: "See, that wasn't so bad was it? You didn't want to explain that to O'Reilly"
A: "Well he wouldn't have understood it."

:D

ETA: LIKE A BOSS.

Richie
05-20-2012, 08:58 PM
"Billow" fans tend to adopt his style - which is, if you can talk over, you win. The best way to debate them is to say something inflammatory, which trips their emotions like a circuit breaker. Then, when they're willing to act like rational human beings, you engage in a civil, respectful discussion.

heavenlyboy34
05-20-2012, 09:34 PM
Use facts, not opinions.

Then, drop some truth hammers when talking about foreign policy and say "Ron Paul has received more contributions from active service members than anyone else combined."
It's hard to deal in facts with the O'Reily-esque crowd. It's not as much fun as screaming people down, talking over people, and being insulting.

Brian4Liberty
05-20-2012, 09:37 PM
first thing to do with O'Reilly people is to break the ice. tell them that they look athletic. ask if they were ever in the Special Olympics.

Seriously LOL... :D

thoughtomator
05-20-2012, 09:38 PM
when you're dealing with people brainwashed by crap on television, strike the root - make the conversation about all the reasons to stop watching TV

heavenlyboy34
05-20-2012, 09:38 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dpAEhZvwVMg
Q: "See, that wasn't so bad was it? You didn't want to explain that to O'Reilly"
A: "Well he wouldn't have understood it."

:D

ETA: LIKE A BOSS.
lawlz :D

Teenager For Ron Paul
05-24-2012, 10:21 PM
Most of them just won't listen. Ingrained opinions/indoctrinations are tough to deal with.