PDA

View Full Version : Strategy: Encourage legislators to compete to be the freest

Keith and stuff
05-17-2012, 12:33 PM
Strategy: Encourage legislators to compete with the fellow legislators to have the most pro-liberty voting record.

This strategy is actually taking place right now where I live. However, before I explain what is happening, I think it is useful to mention the necessary components to make this strategy work.

-An organization that is well respected and liked among a great deal of legislators that is powerful enough to reward legislators that have a very pro-liberty voting record. A lot of motivated volunteers are needed to make sure the organization continues to stay active.
-A way to get a lot of pro-liberty legislators that get along with each other and socially click elected throughout the state.
-An active section of the community that is impressed with legislators that have very pro-liberty voting records

I was browsing Facebook recently and the NH legislator with the most pro-liberty record last year posted this on his Facebook "is racking up his score on the NHLA Liberty Rating, trying to keep up with X, Y, Z (he named 3 legislators.)" Within about 15 hours, 25 people liked his status, most of their very active liberty activists in NH or legislators.

Various people have posted on the thread including other pro-liberty state reps who said they were competing to have the best record. A former state rep. who isn't pro-liberty made a comment about how the pro-liberty state reps. rarely compromise. The head of the RLCNH posted about the RLCNH's version of the liberty rating and mentioned several reps. near the top of that rating list.

Perhaps my descriptions aren't the best. If you knew these people, I think the picture would be pretty clear.

I don't think the 3 necessary components to make this strategy work are in place in any other state currently. However, I do understand that everyone isn't able to move to NH. That is OK. You may try to copy our success in your state. This is one strategy. If you cannot move to NH, keep working at things where you live. Maybe in 5 or 25 years you will be able to use this strategy where you live. Either way, I hope you enjoyed learning this successful strategy to bring about increased liberty.

Zippyjuan
05-17-2012, 12:50 PM
Legislators are competing first and formost for dollars- dollars needed to run their campaigns. They will listen to whomever can give them the most money to help them get elected/ keep their jobs. If those who support liberty will give them the most money, they will pay attention. Candidates do already get ratings based on how liberal or conservative they are or how often they support a certain interest group on issues and that does not change how they act but it is money which will get them to change their behavior. The only candidate who would care how "libertarian" his rating is is probably already pretty libertarian. Mitt Romney will not move over due to such a rating number unless doing so will give him more votes and money.

Uncle Emanuel Watkins
05-17-2012, 04:07 PM
Strategy: Encourage legislators to compete with the fellow legislators to have the most pro-liberty voting record.

This strategy is actually taking place right now where I live. However, before I explain what is happening, I think it is useful to mention the necessary components to make this strategy work.

-An organization that is well respected and liked among a great deal of legislators that is powerful enough to reward legislators that have a very pro-liberty voting record. A lot of motivated volunteers are needed to make sure the organization continues to stay active.
-A way to get a lot of pro-liberty legislators that get along with each other and socially click elected throughout the state.
-An active section of the community that is impressed with legislators that have very pro-liberty voting records

I was browsing Facebook recently and the NH legislator with the most pro-liberty record last year posted this on his Facebook "is racking up his score on the NHLA Liberty Rating, trying to keep up with X, Y, Z (he named 3 legislators.)" Within about 15 hours, 25 people liked his status, most of their very active liberty activists in NH or legislators.

Various people have posted on the thread including other pro-liberty state reps who said they were competing to have the best record. A former state rep. who isn't pro-liberty made a comment about how the pro-liberty state reps. rarely compromise. The head of the RLCNH posted about the RLCNH's version of the liberty rating and mentioned several reps. near the top of that rating list.

Perhaps my descriptions aren't the best. If you knew these people, I think the picture would be pretty clear.

I don't think the 3 necessary components to make this strategy work are in place in any other state currently. However, I do understand that everyone isn't able to move to NH. That is OK. You may try to copy our success in your state. This is one strategy. If you cannot move to NH, keep working at things where you live. Maybe in 5 or 25 years you will be able to use this strategy where you live. Either way, I hope you enjoyed learning this successful strategy to bring about increased liberty.

Tyrants have always utilized the virtues of freedom and equality to save their consciences from being blamed. Freedom and equality, if they are to be gained, must be mere prerequisites of the greater aim of our Civil Purpose.

Acala
05-17-2012, 04:17 PM
Good idea. It is going to work best at lower levels. But that is the farm team for the high levels.

Uncle Emanuel Watkins
05-17-2012, 05:09 PM
Legislators are competing first and formost for dollars- dollars needed to run their campaigns. They will listen to whomever can give them the most money to help them get elected/ keep their jobs. If those who support liberty will give them the most money, they will pay attention. Candidates do already get ratings based on how liberal or conservative they are or how often they support a certain interest group on issues and that does not change how they act but it is money which will get them to change their behavior. The only candidate who would care how "libertarian" his rating is is probably already pretty libertarian. Mitt Romney will not move over due to such a rating number unless doing so will give him more votes and money.

The system you are describing isn't a solution to the problem, but is the problem. in contrast, the American movement process works outside of the election process to the benefit of the people and to the detriment of tyranny. Nothing good for the United States has ever been legislated by lawyers. Logic just won't solve our problems. In comparison, our Founding Fathers were envisioned and empowered even to the extent that they rejected being part of the British economy.

Zippyjuan
05-18-2012, 12:27 PM
Not really a solution- just the reality of how it works today.

Uncle Emanuel Watkins
05-18-2012, 03:08 PM
Not really a solution- just the reality of how it works today.

"Reality" is an individual's interpretation of an unknown, unapproachable Truth. As "oneness" exists outside of the ability of our senses to comprehend, individually speaking, an interpretation of it can be created by way of slicing the Truth into a dichotomy of two parts.
Think of the Truth as a formal dichotomy versus the false dichotomies with the latter being created as deceptions. The one true formal dichotomy is the one which has existed forever. The deceptive false dichotomies are those created by tyranny to distract the disadvantaged people from focusing on the one true dichotomy.
I have developed a *natural law (metaphysical) science to back this up with it reducing down to the equation:
(2+0)1/2
where 2 equals the rigid law,
0 equals spontaneity,
and 1/2 oscillates both to the sum of 1.

*Our Founding Fathers utilized the science of natural law to define tyranny and to declare our independence from it. Since that time, modern science has created theoretical science which has worked to befuddle and confuse the American people from focusing on our Civil Purpose.

Elwar
05-18-2012, 03:18 PM
I recall working with folks on the very first liberty rating spreadsheet with the FSP.

I remember crunching spending hours crunching numbers over spreadsheets to try to rank the easiest targets on the list that were lowest on the totum pole where just a few votes could kick them out of their seats. Doing that you get the most bang for your buck when trying to figure out who to target. This also gives credibility to the ranking and the group.

I am glad that the ranking is still going strong and that it has come far. Rock on NH!