PDA

View Full Version : The Benton curse isn't what it seems

FSP-Rebel
05-16-2012, 09:54 PM
Like he's still on our side (not bs) and many of this hysteria is on some lol.
Check yoselves. Too late, will exp laters. But go on ahead and speculate for all of us. /error and dumb

ctiger2
05-16-2012, 09:55 PM
Benton is just playing bad cop. Ron has aces up his sleeve.

Aratus
05-16-2012, 09:57 PM
true... i think tampa will be unexpectedly unique and full of surprises
that will have reverberations and an umpact on events for fifty years

Indy Vidual
05-16-2012, 10:03 PM
true... i think tampa will be unexpectedly unique and full of surprises
that will have reverberations and an umpact on events for fifty years

The best surprise would be Ron winning :), and the worst (you might want to stop reading now this is the bad part) is when Jeb Bush comes surging out of a smoke-filled back room.

Aratus
05-16-2012, 10:05 PM
^ the above post is like going from heaven to hell in less than 100 words ^

cassielund99@gmail.com
05-16-2012, 10:06 PM
Yes Jessie is doing exactly what Ron Paul told him to do. I have no ill will towards Jessie for what he did. Just remember when he tore into that MSNBC guy about the delegates numbers. Then yesterday he used the MSM delegate numbers. If no one saw at what he was trying to say then shame on everyone. Jessie knows those numbers are wrong. He was telling the media exactly what they needed to hear.

SludgeFactory
05-16-2012, 10:11 PM
The best surprise would be Ron winning :), and the worst (you might want to stop reading now this is the bad part) is when Jeb Bush comes surging out of a smoke-filled back room.

Oh my goodness...the imagery...like out of some sort of bad movie. I can see the devils grin on Jeb Bush's face in your description.

Pauling
05-16-2012, 10:12 PM
Yes Jessie is doing exactly what Ron Paul told him to do. I have no ill will towards Jessie for what he did. Just remember when he tore into that MSNBC guy about the delegates numbers. Then yesterday he used the MSM delegate numbers. If no one saw at what he was trying to say then shame on everyone. Jessie knows those numbers are wrong. He was telling the media exactly what they needed to hear.

That's a great point. Hmmmm.
+rep

Indy Vidual
05-16-2012, 10:19 PM
A balanced approach. :p

^ the above post is like going from heaven to hell in less than 100 words ^

Back heaven to hell in less than 10 words

http://www.naturallyamazing.com/americasparks/12297.jpg

Danjlion7
05-16-2012, 10:55 PM
If this thread is true, Jesse Benton executed the greatest most epic Rick roll ever.

ATXRevolutionary
05-16-2012, 11:14 PM

EXCELLENT point. I forgot about that interview. +rep

truthhope
05-16-2012, 11:29 PM
Is it possible that they thought if we say what everyone probably already knows (is that we dont have the money to campaign everywhere), and if they tell everyone this in a way that the mainstream could spin and sound bad and wait to see how loyal the supporters are? Is this really a "Revolution" or just a short uprising? Me im here to stay no matter what happens, and if I get to go to Tampa, even if he dropped out I would still go and represent!

francisco
05-16-2012, 11:49 PM

That's Crater Lake in Oreegun! Wizard Island in the middle.

Tyler_Durden
05-17-2012, 05:06 AM
Trojan Horse strategy. I'm in the wooden horse's belly. Here, take my hand and I'll pull you up inside with me. :D

soulcyon
05-17-2012, 05:35 AM

But a picture could mean a thousand words :toady:

KingNothing
05-17-2012, 05:43 AM
I'm of the opinion that everything a campaign does is calculated, and I'm also of the opinion that our campaign is honest.
It's possible to do as Jesse and Ron did here --- to honestly convey the truth, but to do so in a way that appeases multiple interests.

Think of the way they've phrased things in the past, think of the way they've manipulated the field and their opponents. You really think these guys are dumb? Really?

This is why Benton is MUCH better at what he does than all the people here who are angry with him would be. He knows what he's doing. He's been living the politics game with a man who Lew Rockwell called "the best political strategist" he'd ever seen, Ron Paul.

V3n
05-17-2012, 06:20 AM
I think some folks just watch too closely. Lady_V3n LOVES Ron Paul and follows more than just a casual observer. She was aware of the 'campaign shift' but totally unaware of any Benton/Tate/Wead drama. It's just us on this board that hang on every word. Maybe we need to take a step back and just see how it plays out.

Matthanuf06
05-17-2012, 06:30 AM
Stop the rationalization. Sure they undersold the delegate numbers, but do not dismiss the fact that they conceded defeat to Romney. And do not dismiss the fact that Ron is seemingly displeased on how the grassroots is handling the convention (don't get me started how we've been left high and dry). Tampa will be interesting solely because the grassroots is becoming more and more disconnected from the campaign. It would take an act of God to get the nomination, but sure we can hope for a speech, some policy concessions, and at most the VP slot. But thinking we have a real shot at the nomination is dangerous and is just setting yourself up for serious disappointment. It just isn't realistic at this point.

And I agree that Benton is mainly carrying out what Ron wants, but I still don't like it. I'm not a fan of nepotism period. It is amateurish and gives an aura of a lack of seriousness. I don't like it whether or not someone is seriously qualified or not just because of the signals it sends.

Captain Shays
05-17-2012, 06:35 AM
I don't get the crater lake reference

Captain Shays
05-17-2012, 06:46 AM
Stop the rationalization. Sure they undersold the delegate numbers, but do not dismiss the fact that they conceded defeat to Romney. And do not dismiss the fact that Ron is seemingly displeased on how the grassroots is handling the convention (don't get me started how we've been left high and dry). Tampa will be interesting solely because the grassroots is becoming more and more disconnected from the campaign. It would take an act of God to get the nomination, but sure we can hope for a speech, some policy concessions, and at most the VP slot. But thinking we have a real shot at the nomination is dangerous and is just setting yourself up for serious disappointment. It just isn't realistic at this point.

And I agree that Benton is mainly carrying out what Ron wants, but I still don't like it. I'm not a fan of nepotism period. It is amateurish and gives an aura of a lack of seriousness. I don't like it whether or not someone is seriously qualified or not just because of the signals it sends.

THIS

I ran into a co-worker yesterday and we talked about this a little. He said "it's over". Of course I was trying to tell him that we're still in it to win it but something inside me knew I was wrong. I wonder how many supporters are just so discouraged now that they won't give any money, they won't knock on doors, or phone bank or hand out flyers or put up signs now. I just can't tell you guys how I feel right now. I am seriously on the verge of a major depression. I am so disappointed but no doubt I will keep fighting and keep trying. Thats all I know. A few months ago I actually got fired for talking about Ron Paul to my customers. Yeah, they hired me back and I still talk about Ron Paul.......just a little more strategically and diplomatically.

Ya know what works? This is the REAL kicker. Lately the stadiums that have been filling up to see Ron Paul despite all the media blackout has had people's eyes opening up to the OBVIOUS attempt to control the outcome of our elections by the establishment-media marriage. EVERYBODY no matter what party, no matter what idealogy KNOWS there are those at the top who want to remain in power and to keep that power they will do just about ANYTHING including trying to ignore the ONE MAN who is their greatest threat to remaining in power. EVERYBODY whether Tea Party or OWS KNOWS something is WRONG in our govenment.

The people who have been filling up the stadiums compared to NO MENTION of it shows very clearly those sttempts to remain in power. I have used that to convince at least 100 people to look into Ron Paul letely because of his recent popularity. Of course the delegate counts also helped in a BIG way.

And now all of a sudden they back down?

WTF?????

SCREW the campaign's secret strategy or whatever they THINK they are doing. They just cut our hearts out. They cut our feet out from under us when we had the establishment on the ropes.

Now some one come back and tell me where I'm wrong

KingNothing
05-17-2012, 06:58 AM
SCREW the campaign's secret strategy or whatever they THINK they are doing. They just cut our hearts out. They cut our feet out from under us when we had the establishment on the ropes.

You're completely, 100-percent wrong. Nothing the campaign did will change the way I act. They didn't cut my heart out. They didn't destroy my desire to embrace Liberty and encourage other people to do the same.

But maybe that's because I acknowledged the reality of the campaign and understood that longterm, long-lasting victories are more important than temporary ones.

ronpaulhawaii
05-17-2012, 06:58 AM
...They just cut our hearts out...

Speak for yourself. I've been too close to strategist types to be passing much judgement, nor giving much weight to the rhetoric from a campaign without knowing all of the angles being played and whatnot...

And the only thing capable of cutting my heart out is an actual blade wielded by a superior enemy

KingNothing
05-17-2012, 07:04 AM
We've got to do the things necessary to bring about greater peace, prosperity and freedom because they're the right things to do --- not because we can win. If you focus on doing those things only because victory is in sight, you'll lose the desire to continue when it isn't.

Remeber, do what's right and wins eventually come. Period. Focus on the method, not the result.

libertygirl2
05-17-2012, 07:12 AM
I really don't think RP is calling the shots here. Senior campaign staffers are the ones running the show.

opinionatedfool
05-17-2012, 07:29 AM
I really don't think RP is calling the shots here. Senior campaign staffers are the ones running the show.

Originally I didn't think RP was behind all these things coming out, but after giving it some thought I think Ron Paul is actually behind it. We don't know all the reasoning behind it, but I'm willing to trust him in making the right decision. He has for many years, why would he start making poor ones all of a sudden?

libertygirl2
05-17-2012, 07:31 AM
Originally I didn't think RP was behind all these things coming out, but after giving it some thought I think Ron Paul is actually behind it. We don't know all the reasoning behind it, but I'm willing to trust him in making the right decision. He has for many years, why would he start making poor ones all of a sudden?

From my experience working on campaigns, the staff dictates what happens. But those have been congressional races. Every campaign is different. I trust Ron, too... and there's been a lot of hate for Benton, but he has gotten us this far, right? Regardless of what happens, Ron's presence in this race has converted a lot of people to the liberty camp.

Tim724
05-17-2012, 07:59 AM
To think this concession of defeat by the campaign is an Art of War strategy is far out. Possible, but I doubt it. So far, in both '08 and '12 these fantasical theories about secret plans by the campaign have proven false and what is seen on the surface is usually pretty much all there is to the story.

I do believe there are still some wildcards remaining around how many delegates we'll have in Tampa and how they'll act. I do also believe Dr Paul is getting some sort of decent concession, but something expected like a speech at a good time slot.

TheEvilDetector
05-17-2012, 08:45 AM

I haven't really posted for a long time, but this recent campaign announcement pissed me off.

Benton writes: "So while our campaign is no longer investing in the remaining primary states, we will continue to run strong programs at District and State Conventions to win more delegates and alternate delegates to the National Convention."

In my opinion, prior to the recent announcement, there were reasonably clear cut reasons for needing to donate money, but now I have to wonder how are the donations going to be used? The announcement makes it seem like less money is required than before. Also this statement negatively affects motivation.

Further, Benton states: "Unfortunately, barring something very unforeseen, our delegate total will not be strong enough to win the nomination."

Campaign leaders should not make such statements to their supporters. You wouldn't appreciate your competitors telling you this, how much worse to have your own campaign leaders say it.

Of course, the grassroots will continue to fight on and they should, but leaders are meant to inspire us to do our best, not tell us that there is practically no chance of winning. I'm disappointed with Benton. This self-defeatism runs contrary to the spirit of just about every speech Ron has ever made.

This makes absolutely no sense as far as timing is concerned either. Paul has been getting huge audiences everywhere he has been giving speeches.

Perhaps pressure is being placed on campaign in ways that we are not aware of given that this announcement is counterproductive.

Reference: http://www.ronpaul2012.com/2012/05/15/ron-paul-campaign-convention-strategy/

FSP-Rebel
05-17-2012, 08:48 AM
Ok, I basically wrote that after our delegate meeting mini-after party after having discussed this with about everyone there including the state chair and many of my '08 crew that have been running things around my area since back then. The chair was saying that Ron has been burned by many of his staff through the past years, yet the team he's got now has been carefully picked based upon trust factors. Regarding Benton, I must say that at many times in this race the man did come on point having Ron say certain things at specific debates, bring out certain ads at the right times as well as other small things like denying the Trump debate which 86'd it. From what I gather, the idea behind the email and its potentially defeatist tone was to straight up tell supporters that because they didn't have many millions to dump in to the last big states that obviously we we're going to win them. Unfortunately, 90% of the voting public thought Ron wasn't in it anymore and that trying to buy ourselves back from the media black out wasn't going to happen. However, they are totally committed to gathering as many delegates as possible for the RNC yet they aren't trying to broadcast their plans in public. We are also making a big push here in Mich despite what was posted yesterday. In essence, if you trust Dr. Paul then stay the course. Game ain't over!

Athan
05-17-2012, 08:57 AM
Benton is just playing bad cop. Ron has aces up his sleeve.
Yeah, but aren't we SUPPOSED to be against bad cops?
He needs to resign from his position. He can still work, but publicly we need to show a changing of the guard for media types to know we aren't defeated. God this guy has done more to undo our successes than Romney's people with a few stupid words.

EBounding
05-17-2012, 09:31 AM
The Libertarian party is like the hipster party. Their leadership seems comfortable being this unique niche and not really interested in growing.

And like it or not, the system supports two parties. The number of parties is irrelevant though because corruption exists regardless. What's the difference if two parties collude or three parties collude? That's what would happen eventually. That's why it's up to us as individuals to keep them in line and be involved.

mommaliberty
05-17-2012, 10:25 AM
i stopped reading after page 2...

the campaign has not left us high and dry. they are still communicating with states yet to have their conventions. I know this because we're gearing up for our Convention in Mississippi and the campaign has been connecting with our State Coordinators.

angelatc
05-17-2012, 10:31 AM
This is why Benton is MUCH better at what he does than all the people here who are angry with him would be. He knows what he's doing. He's been living the politics game with a man who Lew Rockwell called "the best political strategist" he'd ever seen, Ron Paul.

I could win as many primaries as the Tate/Benton campaign did. That certainly doesn't mean I would know what I was doing.