PDA

View Full Version : What is Doug Wead talking about?!

Stallheim
05-16-2012, 03:41 PM
What is all the secrecy about? If the end run strategy requires an element of stealth, and benefits from a modicum of low expectations, now is not the time for an inspirational speech. That comes when expectations have been exceeded and Ron Paul stands with far more delegates at the convention than the MSM ever dreamed possible. Ron is asking us right now, (if we read between the lines just a bit) for some faith, that is all. Why is that so difficult to deliver, when we have canvased door to door, called thousands, donated until it hurt, infiltrated the local parties at every level, and generally become the knowledgeable political animals we so despised?

We could certainly focus some attention on rallying ourselves in the absence of official campaign hand holding, it is certainly a dispiriting time, but we don't need Ron Paul to be our nanny; we need him to be the willy political fox we all pray that he is. It is just a few more months now, what if this must be the end game now, will you still insist on a confirmation? A little cool shade, a little smoke, a little cover is welcome at this phase, in any case, the battle is sure to heat up soon enough. Remember: Ron Paul's job and our jobs are entirely different and have always been so.

And for those who are still having trouble reading between the lines:
What do you want Ron to tell us? That bound stealth delegates should vote their conscience on the first round at the convention? What about the actual intel they have gathered detailing all the delegate support they think they can count on, do you want that? Perhaps if there is some sort of deal being cooked up with Gingrich or Santorum delegates to hold off on the first vote, you want him to let us all in on this juicy bit of information? Would anything short of this convince you that all is not lost? What if he said: "I am focusing on a delegate strategy. There are things I can't tell you right now. Be dedicated, I will stand by your side every step of the way." Would that be enough for you?

From hear until August I am now considering all negative Nancy commentators to be either trolls, spies or provocateurs. This is just getting exciting.

floridasun1983
05-16-2012, 03:53 PM
My take on it is that he's talking about a deal having been struck. We'll have to wait and see but that's what makes the most sense out of this right now.

Tyler_Durden
05-16-2012, 03:56 PM
Troja Horse strategy. We show up to the conventions. The Romulans do not.

It's not like a Press Release can be sent out. This IS the "barring unforeseen events" Benton talked about.

ChrisDixon
05-16-2012, 03:58 PM
Troja Horse strategy. We show up to the conventions. The Romulans do not.

It's not like a Press Release can be sent out. This IS the "barring unforeseen events" Benton talked about.

Not at all far fetched. All this giving-up talk could be a smokescreen...

...but then again, it might just be wishful thinking on my part.

idiom
05-16-2012, 03:58 PM
We have all the cards. The RNC cannot win without us. We can pull the trigger and tear the Convention in half. They have almost nothing we want other than the nomination. We can provide a landslide vs Obama.

But its a lot of very difficult steps to any sort of compromise.

UtahApocalypse
05-16-2012, 03:59 PM
1. Ron Paul's campaign has NEVER put out an attack ad against Romney, even with no others left,
2. Both Paul, and Romney have said in the past they talk to each other, and are more 'friendly' then other candidates
3. Ron Paul's Campaign email announcing they were focusing on delegates now not campaigning
4. Ron Paul's Campaign email from Jesse Benton announcing 'We Can't Win'

The writing is on the wall anyone unable to admit it is not being realistic with themselves. A deal HAS been struck. What the deal is? We hopefully find out sooner then later.

ChrisDixon
05-16-2012, 04:03 PM
1. Ron Paul's campaign has NEVER put out an attack ad against Romney, even with no others left,
2. Both Paul, and Romney have said in the past they talk to each other, and are more 'friendly' then other candidates
3. Ron Paul's Campaign email announcing they were focusing on delegates now not campaigning

The writing is on the wall anyone unable to admit it is not being realistic with themselves. A deal HAS been struck. What the deal is? We hopefully find out sooner then later.

Sigh. A deal with the devil. You're probably right...

dancjm
05-16-2012, 04:04 PM
I cannot help but agree with you. One of the reasons that this whole episode has been so disconcerting is that giving up and calling it quits is hardly what we expect from Dr Paul. Even cutting a deal, and trying to avoid "chaos" at the convention would go against an impeccable record of no compromise and an unwavering willingness to challenge bad ideas.

So the obvious answer is that giving it up and calling it quits is not what is happening here. I agree with this: If the end run strategy requires an element of stealth, and benefits from a modicum of low expectations, now is not the time for an inspirational speech.

After the successes in the caucus states recently, we have actually come to the point where it looks like we can do this. It looks like we can win. Again this adds to the disquiet about recent events, why when things look so good, would we want to tone it down?

This article was posted in another thread: http://ivn.us/2012/05/16/a-first-ballot-rebellion-in-tampa/

"If anything, the email signaled that the Paul campaign is more serious than ever about actually winning the Republican Party’s presidential nomination, especially as it comes on the heels of a month-long string of major delegate victories that have bolstered the Ron Paul campaign’s hopes of a brokered convention in Tampa and demonstrated the potential viability of its delegate-focused strategy. After seeing marked results from this strategy, an announcement that the campaign will be pursuing it even more single-mindedly can hardly be interpreted as a retreat."

I think this is a good assessment.

dancjm
05-16-2012, 04:08 PM

Ron was asked recently if he had spoken to Romney about policy. He said no, when they talk its generally about family.

I can't understand why people would think a deal has been made with Romney. Deal's & compromise are not exactly Dr Paul's thing. If Romney promises a change in foreign or monetary policy, why on earth would Ron believe him? He has always responded to promises and commitments as being just talk. They NEVER do the things they promise.

People's readiness to believe a deal has been struck just baffles me.

JWZguy
05-16-2012, 04:08 PM
Ron Paul doesn't make deals with the devil. That's why we support him. You think after decades of being the ONLY guy who doesn't compromise that he's suddenly going to change? You don't know wtf you're talking about.

dancjm
05-16-2012, 04:10 PM
Ron Paul doesn't make deals with the devil. That's why we support him. You think after decades of being the ONLY guy who doesn't compromise that he's suddenly going to change? You don't know wtf you're talking about.

Ikr!

floridasun1983
05-16-2012, 04:10 PM
People's readiness to believe a deal has been struck just baffles me.Why does that baffle you? Jesse Benton said MONTHS ago that their goal was to cut a deal to get Ron a VP slot or a speaking slot at the convention.

MyKillK
05-16-2012, 04:11 PM

Ron Paul wants to play nice with the GOP so that it doesn't "ruin" Rand's political future...

kathy88
05-16-2012, 04:11 PM
Even if he WANTED to he wouldn't. It would be like taking back every word uttered since the 70s. He's not that guy.

JK/SEA
05-16-2012, 04:27 PM
''From here until August I am now considering all negative Nancy commentators to be either trolls, spies or provocateurs. This is just getting exciting.''

i agree with this. I would like to see mods ban these types in here instead of people who may or may not have low post content, but have their hearts in the right place.

LibertyEagle
05-16-2012, 04:32 PM
Why does that baffle you? Jesse Benton said MONTHS ago that their goal was to cut a deal to get Ron a VP slot or a speaking slot at the convention.

Uh, no, you are mischaracterizing what he said.

I was upset for awhile by what has transpired over the last couple of days, but you know what, nothing has really changed. We still have delegates to win and we will fight to the end and see what happens.

Onward!

Maltheus
05-16-2012, 04:33 PM
Before the Colorado Conventions, our local campaign coordinator even told us something to the effect of "we want (national) delegates who would be willing to vote for Romney," despite the fact that he was actively and publically pushing us to vote for Santorum delegates. 8) Benton, Fein and Tate all said, at different times, that they were pushing for a VP deal like this. The writing has been on the wall for over a month now and even low level coordinators seem privy to it. Wasn't sure whether they were pushing for Ron or Rand as VP, but I kind of get the sense it's Rand, judging by the machinations I've witnessed (Rand people, working with Holdrige and Benton to trade away entire slates of Ron Paulers for some marginal committee positions).

RDM
05-16-2012, 04:38 PM

NVM

ChrisDixon
05-16-2012, 04:39 PM
You forgot #5. Doug Wead's wife works on the Romney campaign.

Whoa, seriously? I didn't know that...

Eisenhower
05-16-2012, 04:41 PM
What?

Well we are nearly confirmed for Benedict Arnold now.

MyKillK
05-16-2012, 04:42 PM
Before the Colorado Conventions, our local campaign coordinator even told us something to the effect of "we want (national) delegates who would be willing to vote for Romney," despite the fact that he was actively and publically pushing us to vote for Santorum delegates. 8) Benton, Fein and Tate all said, at different times, that they were pushing for a VP deal like this. The writing has been on the wall for over a month now and even low level coordinators seem privy to it. Wasn't sure whether they were pushing for Ron or Rand as VP, but I kind of get the sense it's Rand, judging by the machinations I've witnessed (Rand people, working with Holdrige and Benton to trade away entire slates of Ron Paulers for some marginal committee positions).

And I will say, without a doubt in my mind, that by doing so (throwing the current campaign under the bus for the benefit of Rand's political future), that they are guaranteeing a RP Revolution backlash the majority of us will NOT support Rand Paul.

Suzu
05-16-2012, 04:42 PM
I have reason to believe the campaign has a surprise in store for supporters down the road. We're not down, and we're not out.

ChrisDixon
05-16-2012, 04:43 PM
What?

I'm not sure I'd go that far. It's possible to be with someone of the opposite team.

dancjm
05-16-2012, 04:45 PM
I have reason to believe the campaign has a surprise in store for supporters down the road. We're not down, and we're not out.

Up & In!

Revolution9
05-16-2012, 05:01 PM

You have always been a doubt seeder. Doesn't do you or anyboy any good. I am being nice here.

Rev9

Revolution9
05-16-2012, 05:05 PM
Ron was asked recently if he had spoken to Romney about policy. He said no, when they talk its generally about family.

I can't understand why people would think a deal has been made with Romney. Deal's & compromise are not exactly Dr Paul's thing. If Romney promises a change in foreign or monetary policy, why on earth would Ron believe him? He has always responded to promises and commitments as being just talk. They NEVER do the things they promise.

People's readiness to believe a deal has been struck just baffles me.

He sat down with Bernanke for breakfast last time he was in Washington. I would like to have been a fly on the wall there. I can guarantee you that it was Bernanke trying to make a deal with Paul. What could he possibly offer??

Rev9

dancjm
05-16-2012, 05:15 PM
He sat down with Bernanke for breakfast last time he was in Washington. I would like to have been a fly on the wall there. I can guarantee you that it was Bernanke trying to make a deal with Paul. What could he possibly offer??

Rev9

I think they were just discussing competing currencies. They had both agreed to have a conversation on the subject when it was brought up in committee a few months ago I believe.

RideTheDirt
05-16-2012, 05:19 PM

Rev9
Wasn't it the same day that the mayhem started?
I want to know what's going on:(

Maltheus
05-16-2012, 05:26 PM
And I will say, without a doubt in my mind, that by doing so (throwing the current campaign under the bus for the benefit of Rand's political future), that they are guaranteeing a RP Revolution backlash the majority of us will NOT support Rand Paul.

Yeah, at this point, Rand will have a lot of work to do if he wants to gain my trust, and he doesn't have enough time to do it by 2016. At a minimum, he'd need to cut any ties to Benton.

Liberty74
05-16-2012, 05:27 PM

GTFO

Carlybee
05-16-2012, 05:48 PM
''From here until August I am now considering all negative Nancy commentators to be either trolls, spies or provocateurs. This is just getting exciting.''

i agree with this. I would like to see mods ban these types in here instead of people who may or may not have low post content, but have their hearts in the right place.

Freedom of speech much?

Copenhagen
05-16-2012, 05:58 PM
Ron Paul stands for everything that's wrong with America. Cutting a deal of any sorts is ludicrous at the very least. The Revolution has been gaining serious momentum, why give up now? It doesn't add up. I'm sure we'll find out very soon what this is all about.

specsaregood
05-16-2012, 05:59 PM
//

NoOneButPaul
05-16-2012, 06:04 PM
You have always been a doubt seeder. Doesn't do you or anyboy any good. I am being nice here.

Rev9

What doesn't do anyone any good is attacking people who are pointing out the obvious.

If you'd like to bury your head in the sand and set yourself for a terrible disappointment when it's discovered a deal has been struck (the writing is clearly all over the wall) than so be it.

But people pointing out the obvious and trying to accept what's happening shouldn't be chastised for their assumptions that are being based on more fact than your assumptions. It's better to accept reality than deny it.

If a deal has been struck it isn't the end of the world, and it will be really interesting to see what we got. The VP, a speech, influence of party platform, cabinet positions... you really have no idea what were getting so we shouldn't act like it's the end of the world and tear people up who disagree.

dancjm
05-16-2012, 06:05 PM

Not really in the spirit of Liberty though, is it?

FlipObamney
05-16-2012, 06:11 PM
If a deal has been struck it isn't the end of the world, and it will be really interesting to see what we got. The VP, a speech, influence of party platform, cabinet positions... you really have no idea what were getting so we shouldn't act like it's the end of the world and tear people up who disagree.

"VP, a speech, influence of party platform, cabinet positions"

Let's say we get all of the above, do you consider that a win?

dancjm
05-16-2012, 06:13 PM
What doesn't do anyone any good is attacking people who are pointing out the obvious.

If you'd like to bury your head in the sand and set yourself for a terrible disappointment when it's discovered a deal has been struck (the writing is clearly all over the wall) than so be it.

But people pointing out the obvious and trying to accept what's happening shouldn't be chastised for their assumptions that are being based on more fact than your assumptions. It's better to accept reality than deny it.

Maybe we got a speech? Given that what we are after is constitutional government and the rule of law, a speech probably won't cut it.

"the obvious", "writing on the wall", "accept reality"? You are not just making "assumptions" as you put it, you are making assertions.

You are also being quite rude, your tone is not Ron Paul approved.

And I think you should change your username to something else.

How about: NoOneButPaul...unless we get a speech, in which case Romney will do...

specsaregood
05-16-2012, 06:20 PM

I'd consider Dr. Paul as the VP spot as a huge win. It wouldn't be the hugest; but it would put Paul in a position where he has access to most everything and a pulpit from which he can speak freely.

Indy Vidual
05-16-2012, 06:21 PM
Ron Paul stands for everything that's wrong with America...

Is that a typo or are you in need of some help?

MyKillK
05-16-2012, 06:26 PM
I'd consider Dr. Paul as the VP spot as a huge win. It wouldn't be the hugest; but it would put Paul in a position where he has access to most everything and a pulpit from which he can speak freely.

You really need to think about what you're writing.

Dr. Paul spent his entire career voting exactly how he felt and not based on politics. Ron Paul accepting a VP slot to Romney, who is basically the epitome of what Dr. Paul is against, would violate everything he's tried to do for the last 30 years.

LibertyEagle
05-16-2012, 06:28 PM
What?

Don't be ridiculous. Wead has been great.

JellyRev
05-16-2012, 06:32 PM
I think paul knows something we don't. He never rarely romney but he would attack the others? Just imagine the easily crushing ads there could of been. gun control, uni healthcares, etc.
it would have seemed he would have wanted to keep them in to broker the convention not destroy them. Instead he chose to take newt and frothy out why? perhaps its so their supporters would not compete for delegate spots. Since they will not compete. delegates were the goal, but for what end?
Nomination I would hope. Does he have dirt on Romney??? proof of vote fraud? tax evasion? etc??? who knows, but it would make sense since that has always seemed to be the goal.

RDM
05-16-2012, 06:38 PM
Source? You sure you aren't thinking about person who made the advertisements? I'd think if Doug's wife (Myriam) worked for them it would show up on the internet somewhere.

Yes, I mistakenly got confused with the person in the advertising dept. http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?343143-Is-the-man-behind-our-fantastic-ads-s-wife-really-in-a-Romney-PAC&highlight=doug+wead+wife
I'm deleting my post now.

anaconda
05-16-2012, 06:43 PM
What is all the secrecy about? If the end run strategy requires an element of stealth, and benefits from a modicum of low expectations, now is not the time for an inspirational speech. That comes when expectations have been exceeded and Ron Paul stands with far more delegates at the convention than the MSM ever dreamed possible. Ron is asking us right now, (if we read between the lines just a bit) for some faith, that is all. Why is that so difficult to deliver, when we have canvased door to door, called thousands, donated until it hurt, infiltrated the local parties at every level, and generally become the knowledgeable political animals we so despised?

We could certainly focus some attention on rallying ourselves in the absence of official campaign hand holding, it is certainly a dispiriting time, but we don't need Ron Paul to be our nanny; we need him to be the willy political fox we all pray that he is. It is just a few more months now, what if this must be the end game now, will you still insist on a confirmation? A little cool shade, a little smoke, a little cover is welcome at this phase, in any case, the battle is sure to heat up soon enough. Remember: Ron Paul's job and our jobs are entirely different and have always been so.

What do you want Ron to tell us? That bound stealth delegates should vote their conscience on the first round at the convention? What about the actual intel they have gathered detailing all the delegate support they think they can count on, do you want that? Perhaps if there is some sort of deal being cooked up with Gingrich or Santorum delegates to hold off on the first vote, you want him to let us all in on this juicy bit of information? Would anything short of this convince you that all is not lost? What if he said: "I am focusing on a delegate strategy. There are things I can't tell you right now. Be dedicated, I will stand by your side every step of the way." Would that be enough for you?

From hear until August I am now considering all negative Nancy commentators to be either trolls, spies or provocateurs. This is just getting exciting.

Awesome post. I'm in complete agreement with you.

Tamasaburo
05-16-2012, 06:48 PM
I know this may be heresy, guys, but I would personally be thrilled to see a deal struck for Rand Paul as VP or Ron as Treasury Secretary or maybe both (I would not be satisfied with just a convention speech, though). Yes, I really, really want Ron himself to be president, but barring some massive financial collapse that throws Texas and California voters into his arms in the very near future, it's just not likely. Yes, it would be awesome if we took over the convention through some arcane procedure, but I think that's part of what may have prompted all this email nonsense. Ron is not a confrontational kind of guy. Really, he doesn't have the personality for politics at all, which is why we love him. But that also means he doesn't want a big mess at Tampa all blamed on him and his movement. He doesn't want the budding movement re-consigned to the lunatic fringe. He doesn't want to look like he "stole" the nomination.

Rand VP would be amazing for the liberty movement because of all the proselytizing he'd get to do from that position. If Romney wins, he's in a perfect spot for 2020, if Romney loses, he's a shoe-in for 2016.

I really, really want Ron to be prez in 2012 and am definitely afraid for our country if he does not (though I'm also afraid of having him at the helm right before the ship goes down), but thinking long term, we should view it as a victory if Ron gets some serious concessions out of Romney beyond just a speaking slot.

BUSHLIED
05-16-2012, 06:51 PM
The campaigns are not going to have enough delegates to prevent Romney from the nomination on the first round of voting. That's where the confusion begins. The campaigns assertions that they will be making an impact is just that...a hope that they can move the party towards more liberty oriented positions. You can't do that, if you 'hi-jack' the convention and piss everyone off. I think the campaign decided to hedge and play nice to get some sort of role at the convention and Romney will probably go along cause he needs a smooth convention and Ron's voters to win...the stealth delegates is just smokes and mirrors to keep us working and working for change in the future but nothing really tangible will come from the delegates at the convention. We'll be lucky to have say 200-300.

The reason why the email was so destructive was because it took hope and determination away from the grassroots when they were working so hard to get delegates...it took the wind out of people's sails. Worst mistake ever. Benton should be barred from writing any further emails or making press releases...he will never be fired, he married Paul's granddaughter...

Draco33
05-16-2012, 06:56 PM
Yeah, at this point, Rand will have a lot of work to do if he wants to gain my trust, and he doesn't have enough time to do it by 2016. At a minimum, he'd need to cut any ties to Benton.

Cutting all ties might be difficult see as how they are part of the same family. Remember, Benton is Ron's "grand-son-in-law".

FlipObamney
05-16-2012, 06:57 PM

Dr. Paul spent his entire career voting exactly how he felt and not based on politics. Ron Paul accepting a VP slot to Romney, who is basically the epitome of what Dr. Paul is against, would violate everything he's tried to do for the last 30 years.

I agree MyKillK. If Ron accepts a VP nod from Romney, I think I will throw up after having the revelation that I wasted 5 years of my life supporting him.

dancjm
05-16-2012, 07:00 PM
I know this may be heresy, guys, but I would personally be thrilled to see a deal struck for Rand Paul as VP or Ron as Treasury Secretary or maybe both (I would not be satisfied with just a convention speech, though). Yes, I really, really want Ron himself to be president, but barring some massive financial collapse that throws Texas and California voters into his arms in the very near future, it's just not likely. Yes, it would be awesome if we took over the convention through some arcane procedure, but I think that's part of what may have prompted all this email nonsense. Ron is not a confrontational kind of guy. Really, he doesn't have the personality for politics at all, which is why we love him. But that also means he doesn't want a big mess at Tampa all blamed on him and his movement. He doesn't want the budding movement re-consigned to the lunatic fringe. He doesn't want to look like he "stole" the nomination.

Rand VP would be amazing for the liberty movement because of all the proselytizing he'd get to do from that position. If Romney wins, he's in a perfect spot for 2020, if Romney loses, he's a shoe-in for 2016.

I really, really want Ron to be prez in 2012 and am definitely afraid for our country if he does not (though I'm also afraid of having him at the helm right before the ship goes down), but thinking long term, we should view it as a victory if Ron gets some serious concessions out of Romney beyond just a speaking slot.

The Republic and its process are not "arcane".

Ron calls out the central bank for destroying the American people's money. Ron does do confrontation - he just does it the right way, softly spoken and truth in hand.

It's only going to look stolen to those he takes it from. To the honest observer he will have won fair and square.

Most of what you are talking about is Ron wanting to preserve some kind of image, and not wanting to rock the boat. Ron is concerned with the big picture, and the big picture does not have time for worrying about how the Republican Party feels. If Ron was concerned about the feelings of the Republican Party over the needs of his country, he would never have run in the first place.

angelatc
05-16-2012, 07:07 PM
I agree MyKillK. If Ron accepts a VP nod from Romney, I think I will throw up after having the revelation that I wasted 5 years of my life supporting him.

No matter what happens it wasn't wasted. You know you're not alone, and thats something you didnt have before 2007.

specsaregood
05-16-2012, 07:08 PM

Perhaps you need to think about it a bit more. I'll say it again, a VP slot for Dr. Paul would be a HUGE WIN! It might not be our goal, but its a huge win nonetheless. And it wouldn't violate a single thing Dr. Paul has been doing for the past 30 years, it would be a new position and new job, one heartbeat from the presidency.

dancjm
05-16-2012, 07:08 PM
The campaigns are not going to have enough delegates to prevent Romney from the nomination on the first round of voting. That's where the confusion begins. The campaigns assertions that they will be making an impact is just that...a hope that they can move the party towards more liberty oriented positions. You can't do that, if you 'hi-jack' the convention and piss everyone off. I think the campaign decided to hedge and play nice to get some sort of role at the convention and Romney will probably go along cause he needs a smooth convention and Ron's voters to win...the stealth delegates is just smokes and mirrors to keep us working and working for change in the future but nothing really tangible will come from the delegates at the convention. We'll be lucky to have say 200-300.

The reason why the email was so destructive was because it took hope and determination away from the grassroots when they were working so hard to get delegates...it took the wind out of people's sails. Worst mistake ever. Benton should be barred from writing any further emails or making press releases...he will never be fired, he married Paul's granddaughter...

You are making some massive assertions there. Amazing considering that the process is far from over.

sailingaway
05-16-2012, 07:10 PM
Perhaps you need to think about it a bit more. I'll say it again, a VP slot for Dr. Paul would be a HUGE WIN! It might not be our goal, but its a huge win nonetheless. And it wouldn't violate a single thing Dr. Paul has been doing for the past 30 years, it would be a new position and new job, one heartbeat from the presidency.

if we could nominate him from the floor for it it would be best, on his own strength. If Ron ACCEPTED, I'd figure he'd found a way to do it without violating his principles, certainly until I actually saw him violate one.

But we are getting ahead of ourselves, right now we have to collect delegates.

dancjm
05-16-2012, 07:10 PM

Serving under President Romney is no win my friend.

MyKillK
05-16-2012, 07:12 PM

Are you kidding me. Becoming VP would be a tacit endorsement of everything Romney would do as President, a good 80% of which would be contrary to what Dr. Paul believes in.

specsaregood
05-16-2012, 07:14 PM
Serving under President Romney is no win my friend.

last i checked there was nothing in the constitution saying the VP cant disagree and criticize the P. while i would prefer the doc in the drivers seat, having him ride shotgun would still be a huge leap forward.

sailingaway
05-16-2012, 07:19 PM
Are you kidding me. Becoming VP would be a tacit endorsement of everything Romney would do as President, a good 80% of which would be contrary to what Dr. Paul believes in.

If Ron did it it would be more like VPs 100 years ago, when they were separately elected, not 'selected' and OFTEN disagreed with the president, and were sometimes from different parties.

But that is why it isn't the most likely scenario in the world.

But then again, it actually would make me vote for the ticket, in my mind voting for Ron, given that Obama isn't better. And I can't think of anything else that would get me to do that.

Carlybee
05-16-2012, 07:20 PM
It would not be a leap forward. If anything besides president, Fed Chairman would be better than VP but either way they would try to tie his hands.

NOBP .....and no way for a veep ticket. What koolaid are y'all drinking?

Maltheus
05-16-2012, 07:21 PM

Yes, not to mention that you need only observe the effect the rumor is having on his followers here to understand how disastrous it would be for the liberty movement in general. And I don't want to go through with decades of people blaming libertarianism for Romney's failures, because you know they will (no matter how unfair it is).

specsaregood
05-16-2012, 07:24 PM
It would not be a leap forward. If anything besides president, Fed Chairman would be better than VP but either way they would try to tie his hands.

And if Dr. Paul had the VP slot it would mean he agreed with me. If he had the VP slot, I'd take his lead and support him, I trust he would have a better handle on what it would mean than any of us.

Carlybee
05-16-2012, 07:31 PM
And if Dr. Paul had the VP slot it would mean he agreed with me. If he had the VP slot, I'd take his lead and support him, I trust he would have a better handle on what it would mean than any of us.

Bullshit. He would have to stand up at the convention arm in arm with Romney. Your choice however if...and its a big if...that were to happen. I dont think it will. I wouldnt doubt it be offered to Santorum before RP. And if it were offered to RP and he accepted then I would assume the GOP was holding his family for ransom. No way..no how. That is NOT the path to liberty.

specsaregood
05-16-2012, 07:36 PM
Bullshit. He would have to stand up at the convention arm in arm with Romney. Your choice however if...and its a big if...that were to happen. I dont think it will. I wouldnt doubt it be offered to Santorum before RP. And if it were offered to RP and he accepted then I would assume the GOP was holding his family for ransom. No way..no how. That is NOT the path to liberty.

If it happened (and I agree big if) it would have more to do with Romney actually wanting to beat Obama. If the doc accepted the VP slot, I'd happily vote for it. Of course if Paul is the nominee I'd actually campaign and donate towards the ticket.

trey4sports
05-16-2012, 07:42 PM

some sanity.

Carlybee
05-16-2012, 07:43 PM
If it happened (and I agree big if) it would have more to do with Romney actually wanting to beat Obama. If the doc accepted the VP slot, I'd happily vote for it. Of course if Paul is the nominee I'd actually campaign and donate towards the ticket.

And I would say your specs arent really that good if you can't see that as a one way ticket to nowhere.

Ivash
05-16-2012, 07:45 PM
Look- I'm not a supporter of Paul, but the odds of him cutting a deal for a VP position for either himself or his son are minute. I know a lot of high-level people in Romney's campaign, and not a single one had mentioned anything about them as possible VPs despite me directly asking- and that isn't just because I myself am not associated with Romney's campaign, as they have mentioned that both Portman and Rubio are actively being investigated (as in they have been informally asked to give information to the campaign). In their minds neither Ron nor his son brings much to the table- they don't guarantee a state, they don't buck up Romney's support among most conservatives, it is questionable whether Paul's most ardent supporters would support him for VP anyways, and Paul's outspoken ideology clashes with Romney's, which could easily end up looking pretty bad.

Paul seems like a good enough guy to not be trading in his position for some meaningless speech or the ability to 'influence the party's agenda'. If a deal exists it is probably to put Paul in a cabinet spot.

Or it is possible that the good Doctor's age is catching up to him and he just feels exhausted and worn out and wants to slow down the campaign. I've been on enough campaigns to know that they are grueling at the best of times, so it must be doubly hard on a man of Paul's age (even though Paul himself seems to be of fine health).

We have all the cards. The RNC cannot win without us. We can pull the trigger and tear the Convention in half. They have almost nothing we want other than the nomination. We can provide a landslide vs Obama.

There is likely not a single person in the RNC that believes that Ron Paul would get anywhere near winning the general. Furthermore they are more focused upon other blocks voters than those who support Ron Paul- Hispanics, women, etc.

In other words that isn't part of any deal either. As I mentioned ff there is a deal it is almost certainly a cabinet position. CPs do hold a deal of power so there is no shame if that is indeed the compromise, though.

Edit: And there is no way that Santorum is getting the VP position. It is common knowledge within Romney's camp that the only reason he is being investigated is out of respect. It isn't because they are actively considering him.

specsaregood
05-16-2012, 07:47 PM
And I would say your specs arent really that good if you can't see that as a one way ticket to nowhere.

Actually, you haven't read the specs and thought about it if you don't comprehend all the positive posibilities of such a ticket.

trey4sports
05-16-2012, 07:54 PM
Look- I'm not a supporter of Paul, but the odds of him cutting a deal for a VP position for either himself or his son are minute. I know a lot of high-level people in Romney's campaign, and not a single one had mentioned anything about them as possible VPs despite me directly asking- and that isn't just because I myself am not associated with Romney's campaign, as they have mentioned that both Portman and Rubio are actively being looked into. In their minds neither Ron nor his son brings much to the table- they don't guarantee a state, they don't buck up Romney's support among most conservatives, it is questionable whether Paul's most ardent supporters would support him for VP anyways, and Paul's outspoken ideology clashes with Romney's, which could easily end up looking pretty bad.

Paul seems like a good enough guy to not be trading in his position for some meaningless speech or the ability to 'influence the party's agenda'. If a deal exists it is probably to put Paul in a cabinet spot.

Or it is possible that the good Doctor's age is catching up to him and he just feels exhausted and worn out and wants to slow down the campaign. I've been on enough campaigns to know that they are grueling at the best of times, so it must be doubly hard on a man of Paul's age (even though Paul himself seems to be of fine health).

There is likely not a single person in the RNC that believes that Ron Paul would get anywhere near winning the general. Furthermore they are more focused upon other blocks voters than those who support Ron Paul- Hispanics, women, etc.

In other words that isn't part of any deal either. As I mentioned ff there is a deal it is almost certainly a cabinet position. CPs do hold a deal of power so there is no shame if that is indeed the compromise, though.

Edit: And there is no way that Santorum is getting the VP position. It is common knowledge within Romney's camp that the only reason he is being investigated is out of respect. It isn't because they are actively considering him.

yeah, Ron getting the VP spot is simply not going to happen. It would make for a very very sloppy campaign and wouldn't help Romney.

Lastly, while it was nice of you to suggest Ron being thought of as a potential cabinet member that would be a waste of his time simply because Romney is going to do what is politically expedient whereas Paul would be making philosophical suggestions. He would most likely spend most of his (diminished) work time with C4L leading the intraparty opposition to Romney's big-government policies.

Carlybee
05-16-2012, 07:54 PM
Actually, you haven't read the specs and thought about it if you don't comprehend all the positive posibilities of such a ticket.

Tell someone who buys it. I don't and never will. Not after all the dirty tricks the warmongering neocons have pulled. Karl Rove is affiliated with a SuperPac. Do you want Karl Rove's brand of strategy anywhere near Ron Paul?
Get in bed with the devil if you wish. I'll write in Ron Paul for president only.

anaconda
05-16-2012, 07:56 PM
I would personally be thrilled to see a deal struck for Rand Paul as VP or Ron as Treasury Secretary or maybe both

I would be thrilled also. But I definitely WILL NOT vote for it.

Ivash
05-16-2012, 08:03 PM
yeah, Ron getting the VP spot is simply not going to happen. It would make for a very very sloppy campaign and wouldn't help Romney.

Lastly, while it was nice of you to suggest Ron being thought of as a potential cabinet member that would be a waste of his time simply because Romney is going to do what is politically expedient whereas Paul would be making philosophical suggestions. He would most likely spend most of his (diminished) work time with C4L leading the intraparty opposition to Romney's big-government policies.

I don't know. Cabinet spots actually can hold a great deal of power in those in the spots play their cards correctly.

It doesn't always work out like that, but a Paul who held Romney's ear could do not but have some pull with him. I personally don't believe that Romney and Obama are all that alike- Obama is at heart a hard-cord liberal while Romney is a flip flopper with no spine. Obama will pursue what he believes in unless it is extraordinarily politically stupid; Romney will pursue what he thinks will make him popular no matter what. The latter type of people are far more easily influenced.

cajuncocoa
05-16-2012, 08:03 PM
Bullshit. He would have to stand up at the convention arm in arm with Romney. Your choice however if...and its a big if...that were to happen. I dont think it will. I wouldnt doubt it be offered to Santorum before RP. And if it were offered to RP and he accepted then I would assume the GOP was holding his family for ransom. No way..no how. That is NOT the path to liberty.I agree, and I fail to see why your analysis isn't obvious to all.

cajuncocoa
05-16-2012, 08:04 PM

^^ This.

Treathurst
05-16-2012, 08:07 PM
A Lone Sentinel

I am not young, I am old...

...and until a year ago...I BELIEVED I lived in the land of the free; by the time I realized I had stood idle while my Liberty and Freedom was eased away...one small concession at a time...the hour of no return, was all but neigh...and, I felt a loss so bitter and so deep… it clawed its way up from my heart and wrenched itself from my eyes. My desolation caught in my throat, in great heaves of anguish and shame...and I wept...I am so ashamed...I am so ashamed…

In the midst of my despair I began to hear of one who was a steadfast champion of the Constitution, a thundering fist in a velvet glove, a lone, torch bearing sentinel, standing in the darkness, lighting the way to Freedom for all who would see and follow.

His name is Dr. Ron Paul.

I read and I listened…I listened and I read…I am now wide-awake…and I am educated…and I am a sheep no longer……and I am madder than Hell!!!

My father fought in the Battle of the Bulge, he slept in the mud and the blood and the freezing cold of the Ardennes; he bared his teeth and he killed, he endured and prayed and pressed forward, he was one of, “Roosevelt’s Bloody Hatchet Men”, the elite, and he would not be denied. And when the shooting and bombing and burning and killing was finally over, he came home.

My father returned to the, “Land of the Free and the Home of the Brave”, healthy on the outside, but, deep within his soul, where the eye cannot see and the ear cannot hear…he was mortally wounded.

For 63 years, my father screamed the horrors of “Freedom” into the darkness… his nightmares drenched the sheets with terror and turned his heart and his stomach with revulsion. For 50 years, I listened, as my father sacrificed his life, night after night, that I might breath free.

With resolve, and as a testimony to my father, and all who have sacrificed in like kind in the defense of our Nation and our Liberty and our Freedom…I will NEVER cast my single ballot… my blood bought vote… in favor of any which would threaten my Constitution and seek to enslave me or my countrymen.

Hear me……I will NEVER vote for, now will I acknowledge or support, anyone other than Ron Paul!

If the Republicans want to avoid a divided party...they can come to us.... for the distance is the same...and we will NEVER go to them.... so...the choice is THEIRS to make....we have made our decision.

The Republican Party can either come and get on Dr. Paul's train to Freedom ...or they can stay with Obama and his cronies at the station of Fascism…

libertylastchance
05-16-2012, 08:12 PM
Seriously, do you have a link for that?

Marky

So you think he’ll be able to "speak freely" when Romney pushes for the next bailout or next war??????

Treathurst
I do agree that Dr. Paul could own Romney if RP was VP....

trey4sports
05-16-2012, 08:13 PM
I don't know. Cabinet spots actually can hold a great deal of power in those in the spots play their cards correctly.

It doesn't always work out like that, but a Paul who held Romney's ear could do not but have some pull with him. I personally don't believe that Romney and Obama are all that alike- Obama is at heart a hard-cord liberal while Romney is a flip flopper with no spine. Obama will pursue what he believes in unless it is extraordinarily politically stupid; Romney will pursue what he thinks will make him popular no matter what. The latter type of people are far more easily influenced.

Maybe Rand would be interested but that is certainly not something Ron has ever shown any kind of interest in. Besides, he would be a major liability for Mitt. Could you imagine the treasury secretary constantly talking about why we should be ending the Fed? That would be a nightmare for a president who values political expediency and "getting things done."

Further, i can't say i agree that there is a big difference between Mitt and O. Obama has shown that he will do what is politically expedient as opposed to chase his liberal beliefs. (Bush tax cuts, more wars, drug war reform)

Carlybee
05-16-2012, 08:14 PM
A Lone Sentinel

...and until a year ago...I BELIEVED I lived in the land of the free; by the time I realized I had stood idle while my Liberty and Freedom was eased away...one small concession at a time...the hour of no return, was all but neigh...and, I felt a loss so bitter and so deep… it clawed its way up from my heart and wrenched itself from my eyes. My desolation caught in my throat, in great heaves of anguish and shame...and I wept...I am so ashamed...I am so ashamed…

In the midst of my despair I began to hear of one who was a steadfast champion of the Constitution, a thundering fist in a velvet glove, a lone, torch bearing sentinel, standing in the darkness, lighting the way to Freedom for all who would see and follow.

I read and I listened…I listened and I read…I am now wide-awake…and I am educated…and I am a sheep no longer……and I am madder than Hell!!!

My father fought in the Battle of the Bulge, he slept in the mud and the blood and the freezing cold of the Ardennes; he bared his teeth and he killed, he endured and prayed and pressed forward, he was one of, “Roosevelt’s Bloody Hatchet Men”, the elite, and he would not be denied. And when the shooting and bombing and burning and killing was finally over, he came home.

My father returned to the, “Land of the Free and the Home of the Brave”, healthy on the outside, but, deep within his soul, where the eye cannot see and the ear cannot hear…he was mortally wounded.

For 63 years, my father screamed the horrors of “Freedom” into the darkness… his nightmares drenched the sheets with terror and turned his heart and his stomach with revulsion. For 50 years, I listened, as my father sacrificed his life, night after night, that I might breath free.

With resolve, and as a testimony to my father, and all who have sacrificed in like kind in the defense of our Nation and our Liberty and our Freedom…I will NEVER cast my single ballot… my blood bought vote… in favor of any which would threaten my Constitution and seek to enslave me or my countrymen.

Hear me……I will NEVER vote for, now will I acknowledge or support, anyone other than Ron Paul!

If the Republicans want to avoid a divided party...they can come to us.... for the distance is the same...and we will NEVER go to them.... so...the choice is THEIRS to make....we have made our decision.

The Republican Party can either come and get on Dr. Paul's train to Freedom ...or they can stay with Obama and his cronies at the station of Fascism…

^This and thank you

Treathurst
05-16-2012, 08:15 PM
I don't think I understand how this works, how do I reply to a "particular" post with out making a post of my own?

Carlybee
05-16-2012, 08:16 PM
I don't think I understand how this works, how do I reply to a "particular" post with out making a post of my own?

Click the button that says reply with quote then post quick reply after youve typed your text

Treathurst
05-16-2012, 08:20 PM
Click the button that says reply with quote then post quick reply after youve typed your text

Thank you :-)

emazur
05-16-2012, 08:20 PM
I know this may be heresy, guys, but I would personally be thrilled to see a deal struck for Rand Paul as VP or Ron as Treasury Secretary or maybe both

Treasury Secretary can be fired - Bush Jr. fired Paul O'Neill for instance. Ron would be a constant thorn in Romney's side, it would never last and I'm sure Paul knows it

cajuncocoa
05-16-2012, 08:22 PM
A Lone Sentinel

GREAT POST.... +1 rep, and welcome!

Treathurst
05-16-2012, 08:23 PM
^This and thank you

I take no credit for the selfless actions of heroes ...I try to tell it in a light which will change heart and minds...

specsaregood
05-16-2012, 08:24 PM
So you think he’ll be able to "speak freely" when Romney pushes for the next bailout or next war??????

Sure, why not? VP can't be fired.

Carlybee
05-16-2012, 08:25 PM
I take no credit for the selfless actions of heroes ...I try to tell it in a light which will change heart and minds...

At the end of the day that's all one can do...history will write the rest.

Treathurst
05-16-2012, 08:26 PM
GREAT POST.... +1 rep, and welcome!

Thank you...and Welcome to you too fellow Freedom Fighter... :-)

Don't don't come here very often, my son, R Treat likes it here and I try not to creep on his space. However, I came to see what the "serious minded" had to say concerning the events of the past few days.

Treathurst
05-16-2012, 08:27 PM

This thing needs a "LIKE" button...

Carlybee
05-16-2012, 08:28 PM

Don't don't come here very often, my son, R Treat likes it here and I try not to creep on his space. However, I came to see what the "serious minded" had to say concerning the events of the past few days.

Come back more..the rest of us old fogies welcome the company. :)

cajuncocoa
05-16-2012, 08:29 PM

Don't don't come here very often, my son, R Treat likes it here and I try not to creep on his space. However, I came to see what the "serious minded" had to say concerning the events of the past few days.You should come by more often! It's nice to see another member of my generation represented!!

Marky
05-16-2012, 08:29 PM

OK…but when was the last time a VP spoke out against the President? Are you forgetting that Romney and Obama agree on more crucial issues than Romney and Paul? Romney is a big government pro-Fed neocon to the bone.

Carlybee
05-16-2012, 08:31 PM
OK…but when was the last time a VP spoke out against the President? Are you forgetting that Romney and Obama agree on more crucial issues than Romney and Paul? Romney is a big government pro-Fed neocon to the bone.

Who has all but promised to bomb Iran

specsaregood
05-16-2012, 08:32 PM

I don't see how Romney positions/actions has any affect on what Paul would do/say. This is why it is unlikely that he would be given the slot, but if they did I would expect some future fireworks.

cajuncocoa
05-16-2012, 08:35 PM
I don't see how Romney positions/actions has any affect on what Paul would do/say. This is why it is unlikely that he would be given the slot, but if they did I would expect some future fireworks....which is exactly the sort of thing a President (or POTUS candidate) wants to avoid. So, it ain't gonna happen. (Thank God)

Rudeman
05-16-2012, 08:52 PM
Romney will not pick Ron Paul as his VP, that would be a disaster (plus I'm not convinced Paul would want the position). Can you imagine the VP debates where Paul would be contradicting most of Romney's positions? That wouldn't look very good. If Romney becomes the nominee he will avoid risks and pick someone safe that could possibly help him win a swing state.

Revolution9
05-16-2012, 09:00 PM

Yeah.. I need YOU to be my frikkn' nanny and save me from my emotions. GTFO. Yer a clown if that is what you think of the emotional state of real RP folks. All you caring hearts pumping dirty dishwater for our tender emotions just warms the cockles of my little ol' beater.

Rev9

TimeForChange
05-16-2012, 09:01 PM
Maybe, just maybe the campaign is trying to show the establishment that the Liberty movement is now a well oiled self sustaining machine and we will not law down upon our swords. Maybe the campaign is trying to show the establishment that you truly can not stop "An idea who's time has come." From now straight through Tampa we must show the sheer size and magnitude of this Liberty Revolution. By donations and the continued delegate success they will have no choice but to hear our message

jd603
05-16-2012, 09:03 PM
Unless Romney gets hit by a bus, VP is a useless post.

We should all become bus drivers if Ron or Rand become VP. Haaaa! , that ones going in my file :)

Treathurst
05-16-2012, 09:10 PM

I am right there with you....they don't call him the "Silver Fox" for nothin'.....

Treathurst
05-16-2012, 09:11 PM
Unless Romney gets hit by a bus, VP is a useless post.

We should all become bus drivers if Ron or Rand become VP. Haaaa! , that ones going in my file :)

HaaaaHaaa....lol

Treathurst
05-16-2012, 09:14 PM
You should come by more often! It's nice to see another member of my generation represented!!

:) Thank you...I just might do that...Facebook is getting a little old and over grown...PLUS...they are getting ready to go public. With that and CISPA...they will own the souls of FB users.

maskander
05-16-2012, 09:18 PM
RP better not do anything stupid, as you all say the writing is on the wall... If they decide to negotiate with Romney I'm afraid that's it for me.

Treathurst
05-16-2012, 09:18 PM
I don't see how Romney positions/actions has any affect on what Paul would do/say. This is why it is unlikely that he would be given the slot, but if they did I would expect some future fireworks.

When was the last time America would have had a VP like RP? Just the thought of RP licking the heels of MR...makes me gag and go weak in the knees...let me tell you if RP took a VP offer....then...then you would know what kind of PATRIOT RP really is.....

Treathurst
05-16-2012, 09:23 PM
Romney will not pick Ron Paul as his VP, that would be a disaster (plus I'm not convinced Paul would want the position). Can you imagine the VP debates where Paul would be contradicting most of Romney's positions? That wouldn't look very good. If Romney becomes the nominee he will avoid risks and pick someone safe that could possibly help him win a swing state.

You are dead on with this....RP might bow a little to get what he needs but he will never kneel and lie.

Treathurst
05-16-2012, 09:24 PM
RP better not do anything stupid, as you all say the writing is on the wall... If they decide to negotiate with Romney I'm afraid that's it for me.

I think the next few days are going to winnow the wheat from the chaff....

ZENemy
05-16-2012, 09:26 PM
Ron Paul said with his own face, lips, mind, mouth, body, brain and whatever else you wanna include, he said:

"Its so secret that even I don't know about it" He said it on national TV.

Rand Followed up with that same quote a day or 2 later.

If you think a secret deal is afoot you are calling Rand and Ron A Liar.

TexasJake
05-16-2012, 09:27 PM
No matter what happens it wasn't wasted. You know you're not alone, and thats something you didnt have before 2007.

QFT.

No matter what happens, the movement is larger than ever before. I'm here and that is directly the result of Ron Paul and people like you guys helping me to undo years and years of backwards right wing neocon thought. More people than ever understand the fundamentals of honest liberty and that should not be dismissed. I highly doubt Ron struck some kind of a deal with Romney that would compromise his principles, and ours.

J_White
05-16-2012, 10:09 PM
if Dr.Paul gets the go ahead to make major changes to the monetary policy - full audit of Fed with a chance to end it, or start the competing currencies.
that in itself, i would consider a win. but of course, the chances of that happening are slim.
once the fed is under a leash, all else will slowly fall into place - they can't have needless, endless warfare and welfare without raising taxes.
and if they try to raise taxes, people wont like and throw them out of office.
i feel Fed is at the root of this all and getting rid of it, would start moving us in the right direction.
that is victory for me.

cocrehamster
05-16-2012, 10:39 PM
I don't understand how accepting the VP spot would violate any principles. If he started supporting Romney's foreign, monetary, or other policies that they currently disagree on then I would agree, but I don't think Ron would accept the position if it wasn't understood that he will be the same Ron he's always been.

idiom
05-16-2012, 10:58 PM
Mitt Romney and the RNC are desperate to cut a deal with RP because they want to win. But they don't have very much to offer. Also their money interests hate the idea of Ron Paul.

The schizophrenia inside the Romney Camp must be intense.

We just keep doing what we are doing and let them chicken first.

It is better for us if the think RP has little ability to stop us Blowing up Tampa. (Metaphorically for those who are not sure (NSA I am looking at you.))

wetroof
05-16-2012, 11:05 PM
why is everyone mentioning Ron as VP. if there is a deal isn't it mostly-likely Rand as VP?

ProIndividual
05-16-2012, 11:08 PM
I'm going to enjoy Romney losing no matter what Ron or Wead want us to do. I'll never vote for the lesser of two evils again in my life. My goal is for Republicans to lose so we can get a liberty candidate in 2016. Otherwise we will wait until 2020 or 2024.

No deals. No compromise. No surrender.

If Ron tries to strike a deal I'm done with him too.

hrdman2luv
05-16-2012, 11:09 PM

If Romney knows this, then he's going to make a bid for our support. The only way he can accomplish this, is to offer Rand a VP spot. Even though it's questionable as to how many will fall for it.
But, considering the things that have come out of the campaign, like the constant begging for respect at the conventions towards the Romney people. And the fact that a VP spot for Rand is the only way to keep someone in the limelight. Because after this election is over, Ron Paul will vanish, retire, and rejoice. And I can't blame him on bit. 30 years of fighting battles that we can't imagine. Some of us have been in this fight for 4 or 5 years. I can't imagine 30 years.
So handing the torch to Rand, only seems like the right thing to do for Ron Paul and Mitt Romney.

specsaregood
05-16-2012, 11:15 PM
why is everyone mentioning Ron as VP. if there is a deal isn't it mostly-likely Rand as VP?

Not if the only reason is to win. Ron carries the independent vote, no candidate on either side even come close. Rand would make the GOP happier, but you dont need them as much in the general.

Agorism
05-16-2012, 11:18 PM
idk what he's talking about..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9F5a57viEpo&feature=youtu.be

susano
05-16-2012, 11:20 PM
If Romney knows this, then he's going to make a bid for our support. The only way he can accomplish this, is to offer Rand a VP spot. Even though it's questionable as to how many will fall for it.
But, considering the things that have come out of the campaign, like the constant begging for respect at the conventions towards the Romney people. And the fact that a VP spot for Rand is the only way to keep someone in the limelight. Because after this election is over, Ron Paul will vanish, retire, and rejoice. And I can't blame him on bit. 30 years of fighting battles that we can't imagine. Some of us have been in this fight for 4 or 5 years. I can't imagine 30 years.
So handing the torch to Rand, only seems like the right thing to do for Ron Paul and Mitt Romney.

Speak for yourself. Rand Paul could never entice me to vote for a Zionazi neocon globalist. I wouldn't even vote for Rand Paul for city commission.

wetroof
05-16-2012, 11:40 PM
Not if the only reason is to win. Ron carries the independent vote, no candidate on either side even come close. Rand would make the GOP happier, but you dont need them as much in the general.

I suppose that is true. but Ron is not that favorable among the Republican base, so in that regard it would not help Mitt. Also their ideologies are so different. Ron compromising to Mitt's platform, or the opposite doesn't seem doable. But if Rand is to be the VP, and Mitt gets an endorsement from Ron Paul in this regard... I think Mitt Romney could then take a large share of the independent vote. If this is in conduction is Ron Paul speech at the convention, that might also help...

Rand does not have the same pressure to stick to his principles as Ron Paul does (being the figurehead of the liberty movement). this gives him some room to compromise on platform.

What i think is that Rand as VP would be favorable over Ron as VP for Romney. Still not sure if the Romney campaign would actually consider picking Rand for VP. that depends on the perceived threat of the RP delegates at the convention and how they could get the Ron Paul campaign to mitigate this. But it would seem from all the recent press releases that Something is in motion. like other people had said, there was really no reason for some statements by Benton unless their decision is being forced by some deal.

And I think there is a at least 50% chance Ron Paul would accept an offer like this from the Romney campaign.

idiom
05-17-2012, 12:07 AM
The Independent vote is Anti-War and anti-Deficit.

If the RNC wants to win they have to cave on foreign policy and the FED. Otherwise the independents will stick with Obama.

Carlybee
05-17-2012, 12:51 AM
Well I think this thread has revealed one thing besides speculation: we are split into those who would never vote for Romney even if RP was VP and those who would. So where does that leave us? Speculatively speaking of course.

jcarcinogen
05-17-2012, 01:28 AM
Well I think this thread has revealed one thing besides speculation: we are split into those who would never vote for Romney even if RP was VP and those who would. So where does that leave us? Speculatively speaking of course.
I would be extremely let down if RP took a vp nomination. I don't like Rand so I don't care if he were chosen by Romney (assuming he gets the nomination) because Romney will lose and people can blame Rand for Romney's loss to Obama. Even though its pretty obvious Romney won't win anyway.

notsure
05-17-2012, 02:10 AM

1. Ron Pauls' campaign never put out a direct attack ad on anyone. They've always lumped them all together. [*edit*(Wrong)]
2. Ron Paul has always come off as friendly and accepting. Like w/ the Guilliani confrontations, Paul never came off as spiteful or aggressive. Only when attacked, Paul came out with his booklist for Rudy. Paul has raised his tone a few times w/ Romney during the debates. Also, this is the 2nd time in a row for both of them, Romney is familiar with the rEVOLution and knows to give it a little respect.
3. and 4. I'm not reading too much into this right now. We'll just have to see what happens. It's the delegates and grassroots that matter. Maybe the campaign meant for us to double down in these areas on the grassroots level, and just letting everyone know to get more involved because the campaign won't be able to. The campaign also said they weren't spending too much in VA, and it looks like we're not doing so bad there. Pretty much, the campaign is running itself the way it would run an administration and it's view of the role of gov't; it can't take care of you from cradle to grave, you have to rise up and put the work in, and put your voice in the matter. YOU have to be the change.

owlbug
05-17-2012, 02:26 AM
It seems unlikely that Romney will choose RP as VP. The democrats would push the fringe/extreme tag with RP as VP and RP would send out messages that conflict with Romney. Perhaps a cabinet position is possible.

It is pretty amazing what an impact RP has made from 2008 to now. He was considered fringe in 2008 and barely taken seriously. Now RP supporters are getting deep imbedment within the Republican party - it is a huge success. If RP were to accept a cabinet position, I'd be thrilled. Romney as president still isn't king and RP would do his thing with more clout than he's had in 30 years. I'd look hard at voting for Romney were that the case as the result would be even more legitimacy for RP's philosophy.

I agree with RP than Romney is probably incrementally better than Obama, though there are a whole hell of a lot of samenesses. But that increment with a prominent role for RP might be enough to sway my vote. Obama is barreling away in the wrong direction at breakneck speed. A compromise like this would not be the end of RP's movement, it would be the next step towards exponentially deep changes to the Republican party.

RP was a visionary when he decided the most damage he could do to the neocons and special interests was with deliberance from within. If we throw our hands up and continue to work from the outside, we will be outsiders. RP compromised by becoming Republican in the first place, and he convinced me to the same. He hasn't compromised his beliefs by joining the club, and neither have I. Nor will he, nor will I.

DrRP08
05-17-2012, 02:29 AM
1. Ron Pauls' campaign never put out a direct attack ad on anyone. They've always lumped them all together.
2. Ron Paul has always come off as friendly and accepting. Like w/ the Guilliani confrontations, Paul never came off as spiteful or aggressive. Only when attacked, Paul came out with his booklist for Rudy. Paul has raised his tone a few times w/ Romney during the debates. Also, this is the 2nd time in a row for both of them, Romney is familiar with the rEVOLution and knows to give it a little respect.
3. and 4. I'm not reading too much into this right now. We'll just have to see what happens. It's the delegates and grassroots that matter. Maybe the campaign meant for us to double down in these areas on the grassroots level, and just letting everyone know to get more involved because the campaign won't be able to. The campaign also said they weren't spending too much in VA, and it looks like we're not doing so bad there. Pretty much, the campaign is running itself the way it would run an administration and it's view of the role of gov't; it can't take care of you from cradle to grave, you have to rise up and put the work in, and put your voice in the matter. YOU have to be the change.The campaign released direct, individual attack ADs against both Gingrich and Santorum.

notsure
05-17-2012, 02:40 AM
The campaign released direct, individual attack ADs against both Gingrich and Santorum.

Yea, I suppose your right. I forgot about the serial hypocrisy ad. However, like a previous poster said, since then Ron Paul has said no discussion of policy or agreements have been made w/ Romney. RP wouldn't lie about that. I don't know where the "deal" talk comes from. Unless it was from within the campaign. It could even have been not so much a deal, but a strategy.

AdamL
05-17-2012, 02:44 AM
1. Ron Pauls' campaign never put out a direct attack ad on anyone. They've always lumped them all together.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Jzi3HBCS2M

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cgNJBdTaKE8

Guzabuza
05-17-2012, 02:47 AM
"Originally Posted by Stallheim View Post

From hear until August I am now considering all negative Nancy commentators to be either trolls, spies or provocateurs. This is just getting exciting."

Very good post. People should print this post and glue it to their computer screens. Read it 5 times each day and stop with all this negativity. Jeezus christ people.... get yourself a shoot of whiskey or a toke of some herb and chill down. You are all waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too nervous.

notsure
05-17-2012, 02:52 AM
The campaign released direct, individual attack ADs against both Gingrich and Santorum.

Here's a radio attack ad solely on Romney.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wqRPZmUvhaM

owlbug
05-17-2012, 03:00 AM
Ron Paul hasn't attacked Romney? BS, hogwash, weak sauce, etc. Not only has he spoken out against Romney from the start, his campaign has featured him in official ads.

Three of a Kind (Jan 2012): http://ronpaulflix.com/2012/01/official-campaign-tv-ad-three-of-a-kind/
Washington Machine (Dec 2011): http://ronpaulflix.com/2011/12/official-ron-paul-campaign-tv-ad-washington-machine/
The One (Aug 2011): http://ronpaulflix.com/2011/08/official-ron-paul-campaign-%e2%80%93-television-ad-%e2%80%93-%e2%80%9cthe-one%e2%80%9d/

owlbug
05-17-2012, 03:02 AM
Yea, I suppose your right. I forgot about the serial hypocrisy ad. However, like a previous poster said, since then Ron Paul has said no discussion of policy or agreements have been made w/ Romney. RP wouldn't lie about that. I don't know where the "deal" talk comes from. Unless it was from within the campaign. It could even have been not so much a deal, but a strategy.
Santorum made that up to try to win sympathy and whittle away at Romney's success.

whippoorwill
05-17-2012, 05:36 AM
Keep working for Liberty.