PDA

View Full Version : Obama signing new executive order to freeze assets of non-cooperators

LimitedGovernment
05-16-2012, 12:06 PM
http://www.salon.com/2012/05/16/obamas_new_free_speech_threat/singleton/

Just shaking my head at this.

ZENemy
05-16-2012, 12:25 PM
Why doesnt he just come out and admit he has decide to be take the role as dictator?

An Executive order seeks to punish U.S. citizens even for "indirectly" obstructing dictatorial rule in Yemen

President Obama plans to issue an executive order Wednesday giving the Treasury Department authority to freeze the U.S.-based assets of anyone who “obstructs” implementation of the administration-backed political transition in Yemen.

so....If I made a website that had a petition on it to END THE WAR in yemen I could have all my money "frozen" (stolen) ??

angelatc
05-16-2012, 12:46 PM
bump

Anti Federalist
05-16-2012, 01:01 PM
In other words, the U.S. Government will now punish anyone who is determined — in the sole discretion of the U.S. Government — even to “indirectly” obstruct the full transition of power to President Hadi. But what if someone — a Yemeni or an American — opposes Hadi’s rule and wants to agitate for a real election in which more than one candidate runs? Is that pure political advocacy, as it appears, now prohibited by the U.S. Government, punishable by serious sanctions, on the ground that it “obstructs” the transition of power to Hadi? Can journalists who report on corruption or violence by the Hadi regime and who write Op-Eds demanding a new election be accused, as it seems, of “threatening Yemen’s political stability”?

And you know what will happen to you when you are found to be in non compliance with this order?

That's right kiddies, you will be declared an "enemy combatant", which will then put you at risk for for becoming an "unperson".

Outside, it's Amerika...

Anti Federalist
05-16-2012, 01:04 PM
so....If I made a website that had a petition on it to END THE WAR in yemen I could have all my money "frozen" (stolen) ??

Worse.

Under the NDAA, I could see you being accused of giving "material support" to "terrorists" by that action.

Once that determination is made, you're fucking toast.

It won't matter that all your assets are seized, you wouldn't be allowed access to counsel anyway, even if you could pay for it.

Anti Federalist
05-16-2012, 01:06 PM
Always keep in mind as well, that the men with automatic rifles and balaclavas over their faces that storm into your house to drag you off, they are really just good guys, trying to do a difficult job and follow orders and go home to their family at night.

Don't be angry at them.

Lucille
05-16-2012, 02:05 PM
People say it's a direct warning to the AP and other media outlets. He wants to wage this war on the QT, so as not upset his "anti-war" base before the upcoming election.

Please! As if they'd care. Like Doherty said yesterday (paraphrased), progs obviously care more about redistribution of wealth than they do Obama's illegal wars and our rapidly vanishing civil liberties. From where I sit, redistribution of wealth is ALL they care about. The last four years have proven that.

I might also ask where the hell CONgress is.

There seems to be little question that the Obama administration is devoted to imposing dictatorial order on Yemen through the use of force and liberty abridgment. As Scahill previously reported, Obama has played a direct personal role in the ongoing imprisonment of a Yemeni journalist who committed the crime of documenting the large number of civilian deaths from a U.S. cluster bomb attack on his country as well as exposing the joint lies of the Yemeni and U.S. Government. The latest U.S. drone strike in Yemen yesterday, even according to Yemeni officials, killed more civilians than alleged “militants.” The bombing campaign in Yemen now increasingly resembles the one conducted in Pakistan, though Yemen saw more drone strikes this month than any previous month in Pakistan. AP reported yesterday that there are now U.S. troops on the ground aiding Yemeni soldiers in their fights against alleged AQAP members.

What’s most amazing about all of this is how covert it is. What percentage of Americans even know that the Obama administration is continuously bombing and killing civilians in Yemen, or that American soldiers are now on the ground there in an advisory capacity? How many network news shows air any questions about any of this, and how many MSNBC shows (other than this one) have ever stopped talking long enough about all the supreme GOP Evil to even mention to their progressive audience that any of this is happening or aired questions and challenges about it? I’d be willing to bet that the vast, vast majority of Yemen mentions — almost all — entail little more than grave warnings about the scary threats emanating from there against the U.S., combined with gleeful celebrations of all the glorious Terrorist Kills our strong, resolute, brave Commander-in-Chief has commanded. In the meantime, not only endless militarism and war march on unabated, but so, too, does the erosion of core liberties which it entails.

Why doesnt he just come out and admit he has decide to be take the role as dictator?

Why would he bother? He's getting away with everything a dictator can as a democratically elected "leader of the free world (http://www.economist.com/node/12516666?story_id=12516666&source=features_box_main)."

Also, seems so (in addition to what AF said):

The Yemen EO also uses slightly different language in the clause targeting those who materially support those destabilizing the country. Whereas the Somalia EO includes those who provide “logistical” or “technical” support, the Yemen EO includes those who provide “technological” support (http://www.emptywheel.net/2012/05/16/obamas-yemen-eo-still-lets-our-spooks-pay-the-targets-of-the-eo/). So make sure you don’t serve as webmaster for someone Hillary Clinton thinks is destabilizing Yemen.

LimitedGovernment
05-16-2012, 02:18 PM
People say it's a direct warning to the AP and other media outlets. He wants to wage this war on the QT, so as not upset his "anti-war" base before the upcoming election.

Please! As if they'd care. Like Doherty said yesterday (paraphrased), progs obviously care more about redistribution of wealth than they do Obama's illegal wars and our rapidly vanishing civil liberties. From where I sit, redistribution of wealth is ALL they care about. The last four years have proven that.

I might also ask where the hell CONgress is.

This is simply not true. A huge amount of self-identifying liberals/progressives place civil liberties and peace first. Many of them aren't informed about the US actions overseas unless the media alerts them, but once alerted they are fervent. Likewise, they see many social wealth issues as closely tied to civil liberties issues, because no one has disentangled the two for them coherently.

If you want more liberals/progressives to join a coalition, you need to provide them with information, not dismiss or insult them.

Anti Federalist
05-16-2012, 03:44 PM
This is simply not true. A huge amount of self-identifying liberals/progressives place civil liberties and peace first.

Where are they?

The anti-war movement dried up a blew away like a fart in a blizzard, confirming what I had suspected all along: they didn't care at all about being anti-war as much as they cared about being anti - Bush.

Now, that said, don't misunderstand me, I have an equal, if not greater, contempt for self described "conservatives" or "tea partiers" that wouldn't know the Constitution if you shredded it, soaked in it oil and vinegar and stuffed it down their stupid throats.

It goes back to my basic premise: that most people, regardless of their self appointed labels, or place on the "political spectrum", do not want freedom.

ZENemy
05-16-2012, 04:19 PM
Where are they?

The anti-war movement dried up a blew away like a fart in a blizzard, confirming what I had suspected all along: they didn't care at all about being anti-war as much as they cared about being anti - Bush.

Now, that said, don't misunderstand me, I have an equal, if not greater, contempt for self described "conservatives" or "tea partiers" that wouldn't know the Constitution if you shredded it, soaked in it oil and vinegar and stuffed it down their stupid throats.

It goes back to my basic premise: that most people, regardless of their self appointed labels, or place on the "political spectrum", do not want freedom.

Why, Fear of responisiblity?

LimitedGovernment
05-16-2012, 07:08 PM
Where are they?

Many of them now are part of sites like Human Rights Campaign. You don't see visible marches and the like because the money and general effort isn't focused on mass events. Rather, they now work on legislation.

Lucille
05-16-2012, 07:17 PM
Many of them now are part of sites like Human Rights Campaign. You don't see visible marches and the like because the money and general effort isn't focused on mass events. Rather, they now work on legislation.

LOL... (http://www.hrc.org/)

Gay marriage. Sovereign debt crises, the brink of World War III, the coming American default, a stagnant economy, the police state, and more. These things are mere trifles compared to the great important issue of our time: gay marriage (http://www.lewrockwell.com/blog/lewrw/archives/111791.html).
[...]
Getting bummed about war is so 1969. Who needs all that hassle? So bombs away, in Yemen, Pakistan, Afghanistan, Iraq, etc. I'm sure those toddlers deserved to be incinerated. But please come to my gay wedding on Maui! It's important to know what's important.

When it comes to civil liberties, Obama has always talked a good game, and then acted more authoritarian than Bush. He talked about an end to the abuses of the Bush years and an open and transparent government, yet extended the Fourth-Amendment-shredding Patriot Act, empowered the TSA to produce naked body scans and engage in humiliatingly sexual pat-downs, signed indefinite detention of American citizens into law, claimed and exercised the power to assassinate American citizens without trial, and aggressively prosecuted whistleblowers. Under his watch the U.S. army even produced a document planning for the reeducation of political activists in internment camps. Reeducation camps? In America? And some on the left are still crowing that talking about being in favour of gay marriage makes him “pro civil liberties”? Is this a joke (http://www.zerohedge.com/news/guest-post-obama-embraces-gay-marriage)?

Kodaddy
05-16-2012, 07:23 PM
They hate us for our freedoms...

Anti Federalist
05-16-2012, 07:27 PM
Why, Fear of responisiblity?

I dunno.

Maybe.

Human nature, it's always been this way.

People want what they have always wanted; to be fed, entertained and to exercise petty power over their fellow man.

They also get into ruts, and, before getting out of a rut, will suffer under tyranny, simply because it's what they have always been used to.

That's what Jefferson meant here:

and accordingly all experience hath shewn, that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable, than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed

LimitedGovernment
05-16-2012, 07:29 PM
LOL... (http://www.hrc.org/)

It's an active site with a mobile user base for one particular issue. Your implication that people who are part of that site care about nothing else is nonsense.

Anti Federalist
05-16-2012, 07:33 PM

Ummm, Okey Dokey.

susano
05-16-2012, 07:38 PM
Where are they?

Exactly right because being kept on the plantation is easier.

I spend a ton of time on internet forums and have for years. I HATED Bush and his minions. I also knew that progressives would drop their anti war, civil liberty talk as soon as their Messiah was in office. That's exactly what happened. Right after the election, there was some leftie blogger convention, sponsored by the Daily Kos. They did a poll on what issues were most important to the minions and war was at the bottom of the list. They are liars and hypocrites who only care about getting whatever tax dollars they can loot sent their way. That's the same reason they support the Fed because their nanny state couldn't exist without the debt. These people have even less integrity than the Bushtards.

This son of a bitch, Obama, is a demon who has outdone the devils before him and his legion of worshipers couldn't care less.

Anti Federalist
05-16-2012, 07:43 PM
This son of a bitch, Obama, is a demon who has outdone the devils before him and his legion of worshipers couldn't care less.

LOL - Yeah that's one way of putting it.

O-Bomb-ya certainly has run the ball down the field further than W and his cronies could have ever managed on their best day.

Which is why, AFAIC, it's probably a shoo-in that he'll be "re-elected" this fall.

Lucille
05-16-2012, 07:44 PM
Exactly right because being kept on the plantation is easier.

I spend a ton of time on internet forums and have for years. I HATED Bush and his minions.I also knew that progressives would drop their anti war, civil liberty talk as soon as their Messiah was in office. That's exactly what happened. Right after the election, there was some leftie blogger convention, sponsored by the Daily Kos. They did a poll on what issues were most important to the minions and war was at the bottom of the list. They are liars and hypocrites who only care about getting whatever tax dollars they can loot sent their way. That's the same reason they support the Fed because their nanny state couldn't exist without the debt. These people have even less integrity than the Bushtards.

I sure as hell didn't. What a fool I was!

Yeah, sure. Whatever you say, LG. I suppose though, that the LGBT community can take heart knowing that none of us are allowed the fundamental liberties Americans once enjoyed, and that makes us all equal...subjects. And Obama did do them another solid; they now can be out and proud while they kill for this contemptible and criminal regime.

susano
05-16-2012, 08:00 PM
I sure as hell didn't. What a fool I was!

Yeah, sure. Whatever you say, LG. I suppose though, that the LGBT community can take heart knowing that none of us are allowed the fundamental liberties Americans once enjoyed, and that makes us all equal...subjects. And Obama did do them another solid; they now can be out and proud while they kill for this contemptible and criminal regime.

After being a Democrat in the 70's, I wised up. I later figured out that progressives caused WWI, WWII, Korea, Vietnam, dropped two atomic bombs, and, essentially, embraced British foreign policy which is ALL ABOUT war and colonization. When the victims of the bombs and invasion cry out, they are accused of 'fear of the Other" - the Other being the colonizer. Look how they rallied behind the murder of the innocent in Libya. When progs are leading the wars, wars are just. It's always like that.

Bottom line, though, is it's about the welfare.

puppetmaster
05-16-2012, 08:43 PM
Yes...where is codepink. Oh yea.....they like obama

oyarde
05-17-2012, 10:31 AM
Naturally I am uncooperative by nature , good luck freezing my assets , chumps. :)

Anti Federalist
05-17-2012, 11:06 AM
You're all just a bunch of left wing pinko sympathizers that hate America and want to see people blown up.

Or so sez the Wall Street Journal.

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?377175-WSJ-editorial-bashes-freedom-liberty-and-Justin-Amash

oyarde
05-17-2012, 11:34 AM
The Wall Street Journal costs too much.