PDA

View Full Version : State Senate Candidate Vetting

ClydeCoulter
05-16-2012, 10:43 AM
I am a precinct committeeman and a candidate for state senate will be visiting me at my home to discuss issues next Monday. I talked to him on the phone before the May 8th primaries about Ron Paul, sound money and competing currencies, NDAA and, other states moves to nullify the indefinate detention, etc... He called today and said he looked up the things I gave him to look up and is now ready to talk. Before, his concerns were only local. I told him we need to look "up" as well.

Do we have a pre-canned liberty candidate questionaire for the state senate level on the forums for vetting?

FSP-Rebel
05-16-2012, 10:58 AM
must be willing to cut spending across the board, lower taxes.

sailingaway
05-16-2012, 10:59 AM
I am a precinct committeeman and a candidate for state senate will be visiting me at my home to discuss issues next Monday. I talked to him on the phone before the May 8th primaries about Ron Paul, sound money and competing currencies, NDAA and, other states moves to nullify the indefinate detention, etc... He called today and said he looked up the things I gave him to look up and is now ready to talk. Before, his concerns were only local. I told him we need to look "up" as well.

Do we have a pre-canned liberty candidate questionaire for the state senate level on the forums for vetting?

You could use Campaign for LIberty's as a starting point. But you might want a modified version for 'step up from what we have' candidates who we might support without endorsing, to vote for as the better choice. These were to get outright endorsements.

http://www.campaignforliberty.com/candidatesurvey.php?state=KY#questions

Ron's bill to audit the fed has a different number now because this was from 2010.

Brian4Liberty
05-16-2012, 11:01 AM
This might help you get started:

http://libertycandidates.com/liberty-questions/

Liberty Candidate Application

Liberty-minded voting Americans seek qualified Liberty Candidates! To be a Liberty Candidate, you must have a website with:

A photo
A donation page with links
An issues page
A link back to LibertyCandidates.com should you be accepted.

Please tell us about you:
Your Name:
Office you seek: (Please do not write “Congress” — be specific:)
U.S. Senate | U.S. House of Representatives | State Senate | State House of Representatives | Other:

State:
District:
PRIMARY DATE:
Mailing Address:
Phone Number:
Email Address:

Please answer the following Liberty Candidate questions and email your answers to us here. Answer even if you are running for a local municipality, city, county or state office and will likely never have to deal with a topic. Your answers will be posted on your LibertyCandidates.com webpage and tells voters where you are on Liberty issues. Thank you!

Note from Sally: PLEASE INCLUDE THE QUESTIONS WITH YOUR ANSWERS! Otherwise, I have to edit them back in for the website. Thank you!

I) Re. the U.S. Financial System:

What is your view of the monetary system in the U.S. today?
What corrective actions could we take right now to improve the economy?
Do you agree with the actions the Federal Reserve has taken to solve the financial crisis? If not, what could the Fed have done differently?
Should the Federal Reserve be audited fully, no secrets, or does it need to keep some information under wraps?

II) Re. Foreign Policy:

What is your opinion on current US foreign policy?
How should we fight a “war on terror”?
Should the U.S. occupy other countries? If not, would you push to close all bases? Are there any you would keep open?
Should the U.S. maintain its standing army?
Is the Patriot Act necessary to protect America? If not, would you vote to repeal it?

III) Re. Personal Liberty:

What information may the U.S. government legally gather about its citizens? When would it be necessary to overstep those boundaries?
What limits, if any, should be placed on the U.S. government’s ability to search its citizens without a warrant?
Ought the U.S. government be allowed to protect its citizens’ health by outlawing foods it considers unsafe, or to force medicate (i.e., fluoridation) or force vaccinate citizens?
What controls, if any, should be placed on the right to own a gun? Is there an effective way to keep guns out of the hands of madmen and criminals without encroaching on the rights of free, law-abiding citizens?

IV) Re. U.S. Sovereignty:

Is our involvement in and subjugation to global organizations, such as WHO (World Health Organization), NATO, the UN, etc., a benefit to U.S. citizens?
Would you work to repeal international agreements that purport to hold U.S. citizens and/or property under its jurisdiction, or do you think there might be times when benefits outweigh concessions?
Are trade agreements with other nations, i.e., NAFTA, CAFTA, good for U.S. citizens?
Should the U.S. give foreign aid to other countries? If yes, for what purposes would it be justified? If not all countries, which would you continue to support?

V) Re. State Sovereignty:

When does state law take precedent over federal law?
Would you stand up to the federal government and demand that it stay within the bounds of its enumerated powers and out of state business?
Do federal officers have the right to arrest non-military citizens within the individual states for any crimes?

VI) Illegal Immigration:

What do you see as the #1 problem with illegal immigration?
What actions could we take to stop illegal immigrants from taking advantage of social services?

VII) Misc. Questions:

If you could make one amendment to the U.S. Constitution, what would it be?
Would you vote to end government subsidies to private industry?
What should our government’s action be against Julian Assange, if any?
Do you know what Agenda 21/Sustainable Development and the Communitarian agenda is? Do you support it? Why or why not?

Elwar
05-16-2012, 11:04 AM
For local things I always look for candidates who are planning on cutting or getting rid of things or reducing the size of something.

Avoid those that want to "reform" or "improve" or otherwise try to "fix" something.

Brian4Liberty
05-16-2012, 11:05 AM
You could use Campaign for LIberty's as a starting point. But you might want a modified version for 'step up from what we have' candidates who we might support without endorsing, to vote for as the better choice. These were to get outright endorsements.

http://www.campaignforliberty.com/candidatesurvey.php?state=KY#questions

Ron's bill to audit the fed has a different number now because this was from 2010.

Another good list!

Complete Survey Questions

1. Will you cosponsor and call for roll call votes on Ron Paul's Audit the Fed bill, designed to bring transparency to the Federal Reserve?

2. Will you support legislation removing capital gains and sales taxes on gold and silver coinage?

3. Will you vote to oppose any legislation that allows the federal government to prohibit the sale, use, or carrying of firearms?

4. Will you support a Balanced Budget Amendment to the Constitution that includes hard spending limits and allows for no increase in taxes or other federal revenue enhancements?

5. Will you support legislation that forbids U.S. troops from serving under United Nations command?

6. Do you support and will you vote to protect states asserting their rights under the Tenth Amendment?

7. Will you oppose Big Labor's Card Check bill and any other legislation designed to empower union bosses?

8. Do you support U.S. withdrawal from the United Nations?

9. Will you support the American Sovereignty Act to restrict the Executive's ability to forge international agreements that lessen our sovereignty?

10. Will you oppose using U.S. forces to occupy a foreign nation without a declaration of war?

11. Will you oppose any attempt to nationalize our health care system, including any sort of public option for insurance?

12. Will you oppose so-called "Cap and Trade" legislation?

13. Will you vote to eliminate the IRS?

14. Will you vote against any budget that increases our debt?

15. Will you oppose federal power grabs like roving wiretaps and warrantless searches, and oppose Patriot Act renewal that includes such items?

16. Will you oppose any legislation that requires states and citizens to participate in a National Identification Card program?

17. Will you oppose the so-called "NAFTA Superhighway" and any move toward a North American Union?

18. Will you support legislation that ensures Members of Congress have at least 72 hours to read any bill before it is allowed to come to the House floor?

19. Will you oppose all tax increases?

20. Indicate the tax cuts you are willing to vote for:

Across the Board Income Tax Cut
Capital Gains Tax Cut
Business Tax Cut
Estate Tax Cut

ClydeCoulter
05-23-2012, 08:27 AM
Remember that this is for a STATE Senator position, not US Senate.

One thing I talked to him about was the change where US Senators are voted on in the general election instead of being voted/appointed by the state legislators. He was very interested in that line of thought and how it affected bills being pushed through and spending. This person Adam Love, is a history teacher, and he said, ah, that is when more spending got through congress and state responsibilites moved to the fed and pushed down to the states.....ping....light came on.....

But I also had some lights flicker from some of the things he said......I'm still digesting some of it...