PDA

View Full Version : Cali is 16 billion short this year, but want to build high-speed train no one will ride

Agorism
05-16-2012, 08:51 AM
http://articles.latimes.com/2012/may/13/local/la-me-bullet-risks-20120514

If California starts building a 130-mile segment of high-speed rail late this year as planned, it will enter into a risky race against a deadline set up under federal law.

The bullet train track through the Central Valley would cost $6 billion and have to be completed by September 2017, or else potentially lose some of its federal funding. It would mean spending as much as $3.5 million every calendar day, holidays and weekends included — the fastest rate of transportation construction known in U.S. history, according to industry and academic experts.

Over four years, the California High-Speed Rail Authority would need as many as 120 permits, mostly from a tangle of government regulatory agencies not known to rush their business. It would need to acquire about 1,100 parcels of land, many from powerful agriculture interests that have already threatened to sue. And it would need to assemble five teams of contractors with giant workforces positioned from Fresno to Bakersfield, moving millions of tons of gravel, steel rail and heavy equipment across the valley.

But what will be the final cost of the project?

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/11/27/us/california-rail-project-advances-amid-cries-of-boondoggle.html?_r=1&pagewanted=all

NYTimes is reporting it will the eventual cost of the project will be $98 billion!

Demigod
05-16-2012, 09:00 AM
How do you know no one will ride it?

The Gold Standard
05-16-2012, 09:04 AM

If it was profitable a private company would have already built one.

ronpaulfollower999
05-16-2012, 09:27 AM
No different than building roads. Neither should be done by governments.

tod evans
05-16-2012, 09:30 AM
Yet another fine example of well managed tax dollars!

lib3rtarian
05-16-2012, 09:33 AM
California is a mini-Greece all by itself. Any liberty lover living in CA should get the hell out of this spending-machine state, as soon as they vote for Paul in the primary. Because this shit is going down.

specsaregood
05-16-2012, 09:36 AM
because it is california.

oyarde
05-16-2012, 10:12 AM
California is a mini-Greece all by itself. Any liberty lover living in CA should get the hell out of this spending-machine state, as soon as they vote for Paul in the primary. Because this shit is going down. Too late , I have already offered California to the Chinese.

Demigod
05-16-2012, 10:36 AM
Yet another fine example of well managed tax dollars!

They are building high speed railway with your tax money how much better can they be managed?

oyarde
05-16-2012, 11:07 AM
How do you know no one will ride it? Well , let us review this , you will have to drive slightly more than 90 miles South of LA , park your car , pay around $100 , get on the train, go the other , more than 100 miles to Vegas . Total cost , more than a round trip flight. What would you do ? I would just drive in the desert , the whole way , no security involved in that , most would just fly ?

Demigod
05-16-2012, 11:13 AM
Well , let us review this , you will have to drive slightly more than 90 miles South of LA , park your car , pay around $100 , get on the train, go the other , more than 100 miles to Vegas . Total cost , more than a round trip flight. What would you do ? I would just drive in the desert , the whole way , no security involved in that , most would just fly ?

Ok that is stupid why isn't the railroad station in the center of LA or near the center where railroad stations should be built.

specsaregood
05-16-2012, 11:16 AM
Well , let us review this , you will have to drive slightly more than 90 miles South of LA , park your car , pay around $100 , get on the train, go the other , more than 100 miles to Vegas . Total cost , more than a round trip flight. What would you do ? I would just drive in the desert , the whole way , no security involved in that , most would just fly ?

fun drive that is...

"'We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold."

oyarde
05-16-2012, 11:18 AM
Ok that is stupid why isn't the railroad station in the center of LA or near the center where railroad stations should be built. You cannot do that because off right a ways , existing Interstates etc , you have to get away from the current build up of no room. Besides Harry Reid and the mayor of the town where you will depart , I know of no person who would publicly support this .

oyarde
05-16-2012, 11:18 AM
fun drive that is...

"'We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold." More fun than TSA

oyarde
05-16-2012, 11:27 AM
Eighteen miles South of where I am having coffee , right now ,in an old city cemetery , is where the guys who did the first American train robbery are buried , the precious metals from that robbery have never been found .

oyarde
05-16-2012, 11:32 AM
fun drive that is...

"'We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold." :) Everyone hould drive through the American West at least once.

specsaregood
05-16-2012, 11:34 AM
//

John F Kennedy III
05-16-2012, 11:38 AM
California is a mini-Greece all by itself. Any liberty lover living in CA should get the hell out of this spending-machine state, as soon as they vote for Paul in the primary. Because this shit is going down.

Been trying to convince my friend and his fiance to leave with me. Not working yet :(

I've been against this rail since the beginning. Waste of money.

oyarde
05-16-2012, 11:38 AM
I've driven through every state in the US except maine and alaska....they are still on my todo list. Watch out for those Conservation Officers in Maine , they like sobriety tests , and , as for Alaska, I suggest , new shocks and daylight driving , shotgun needs to watch for holes , not sight seeing.

oyarde
05-16-2012, 11:39 AM
I have never driven in Hawaii

oyarde
05-16-2012, 11:59 AM
I have never robbed a train ....

ZENemy
05-16-2012, 12:34 PM
Been trying to convince my friend and his fiance to leave with me. Not working yet :(

I've been against this rail since the beginning. Waste of money.

Where would you go? I like NH of course, Im considering moving out of CA, was even thinking reno, I could be out of CA but stay close to friends and family.

KingRobbStark
05-16-2012, 12:42 PM
America is spacious. This kind of waste is...a waste.

Titus
05-16-2012, 12:43 PM
I frankly am a fan of the rail. Then again, I am a rare commuter. I'm based in Sacramento but I could be as far south as San Jose on some days. If the train goes fast enough, we could rapidly expand the areas we cover.

Acala
05-16-2012, 01:07 PM
They should build the train going one way out of the state, make it the only way out, charge people $10,000 a ticket, and then raise income taxes to 98%. Then people would ride it. Once.

oyarde
05-17-2012, 11:46 AM
Well , the proposed 9 billion in tax increases , half will go to fund public employee pensions . Caly has , nearly 45 % more state and local govt workers , per capita than Texas . Caly is host one third of all US on welfare. Caly ranks 47th in science , public school behind all Appalachian Mountain States . Place is doomed.