PDA

View Full Version : A British word

-:Undertaker:-
05-15-2012, 02:38 PM
Hello all,

I've been reading the forums and the news lately and whatever is happening, remember this - do not think for one moment that the GOP can be reformed from the top downwards. In the United Kingdom, we're currently starting a split with the ruling Conservative and Unionist Party (the splinter party is called UKIP headed by Nigel Farage (http://www.facebook.com/TheUKIP) which is now polling 8% in a three-party system - an incredible feat) because it [the Conservative Party] is simply beyond reform - people who believe in conservatism and freedom like myself are simply shut out and there is simply no way to reform that party. I feel the same may be true about the GOP.

All this talk about influencing the convention platform is complete nonsense, do you really think even if they adopted these policies that in office a Romney administration would implement any of this? would they hell, these people are liars, backstabbers and cheats - they do not have principles like we do, like Ron Paul does. You know using my earlier example, in the United Kingdom I used to think UKIP existed to force one of the main parties into giving us a referendum on our EU membership - once that was done, I felt the job was done. I have revised my position now - even if one of the main parties offers us a referendum if we vote for them, why on earth would I believe them?

In the end, if something is broken - you throw it in the bin and replace it. Why should political parties be any different?

I say keep at the delegate strategy and give them hell.

well_met_sir
05-15-2012, 02:58 PM
Have you noticed that small parties have a better chance in more local races? That is definitely the case in the US. So the president is always a Republican or Democrat. Members of the Senate and House are nearly always Republican or Democrat but occasionally an independent wins. In local races occasionally a Libertarian or Green will win.

Now compare the population of the UK vs the population of the US, and the size of our legislatures. There are seven times as many people voting for each of our representatives as there are for your MPs. For the senate it is even worse.

tummy14
05-15-2012, 03:07 PM
Hello all,

I've been reading the forums and the news lately and whatever is happening, remember this - do not think for one moment that the GOP can be reformed from the top downwards. In the United Kingdom, we're currently starting a split with the ruling Conservative and Unionist Party (the splinter party is called UKIP headed by Nigel Farage (http://www.facebook.com/TheUKIP) which is now polling 8% in a three-party system - an incredible feat) because it [the Conservative Party] is simply beyond reform - people who believe in conservatism and freedom like myself are simply shut out and there is simply no way to reform that party. I feel the same may be true about the GOP.

All this talk about influencing the convention platform is complete nonsense, do you really think even if they adopted these policies that in office a Romney administration would implement any of this? would they hell, these people are liars, backstabbers and cheats - they do not have principles like we do, like Ron Paul does. You know using my earlier example, in the United Kingdom I used to think UKIP existed to force one of the main parties into giving us a referendum on our EU membership - once that was done, I felt the job was done. I have revised my position now - even if one of the main parties offers us a referendum if we vote for them, why on earth would I believe them?

In the end, if something is broken - you throw it in the bin and replace it. Why should political parties be any different?

I say keep at the delegate strategy and give them hell.

I'm also from the UK and couldn't agree more with my fellow Brit above... I've no idea what just happened the last couple of days but it's sure kicked the momentum we had - all seems very odd...

But don't get too despondent, you've made me (and clearly many other Brits) unbelievably proud in our defence of liberty - you've showed everyone else on the planet how it really get's done and you've all made differences in people's lives who you will probably never meet...

And as for "I say keep at the delegate strategy and give them hell", i say that seems like the best thing to do in response to all this... even if they wanted to they can't stop it now that's the real point...

-:Undertaker:-
05-15-2012, 03:10 PM
Have you noticed that small parties have a better chance in more local races? That is definitely the case in the US. So the president is always a Republican or Democrat. Members of the Senate and House are nearly always Republican or Democrat but occasionally an independent wins. In local races occasionally a Libertarian or Green will win.

Now compare the population of the UK vs the population of the US, and the size of our legislatures. There are seven times as many people voting for each of our representatives as there are for your MPs. For the senate it is even worse.

I'm not sure they do really, when you truly break a political concensus the force is unstoppable - the amount of voters doesn't really matter and you have to take relativity into account (for example if 15% of Americans are libertarian and 15% of us British are, both have an equal chance to make a change). I mean, we are told the same in this country "oh it'll never be anybody but Conservative or Labour" but as you say, it does and can happen. In the 1920s for example the Labour Party started from a grassroots movement and replaced the establishment Liberal Party within a period of ten years.

All options are open of course, but i'm just saying in relation to this platform influence idea - why believe them in the slightest?

But don't get too despondent, you've made me (and clearly many other Brits) unbelievably proud in our defence of liberty - you've showed everyone else on the planet how it really get's done and you've all made differences in people's lives who you will probably never meet...

Absolutely, I know the Ron Paul grassroots movement has greatly influence the youth wing of UKIP.

RickyJ
05-15-2012, 03:16 PM
Thanks for your advise and encouragement.

I thought this post was going to be about a "British word" though. Maybe you can tell us a British word that most Americans do not know? :D

Athan
05-15-2012, 03:56 PM
Gents, thank you greatly for the encouragement. Sometimes you just want to just reach out and choke a Jessie Benton now and then, but I'm glad this fight isn't just just being heard on minor levels. Thanks. We will fight on.

pen_thief
05-15-2012, 04:02 PM
I agree with you. I think we need a new party rather than to try to reform the old one. Republican is becoming a word as loaded as Nazi or something these days. Tea Party went down the drain along with it, thanks to the left. We can't call ourselves the "New Conservatives" because that's basically Neo-Con...Libertarian is saturated with connotations to marijuana and mutterings of "Go live in Somalia!" This just sucks. Then again, I guess it doesn't matter what the outward perception of the party is, as long as it's a good party with liberty-minded people at the top.

As for Nigel Farage, I've seen many people finding fault with him, but I admire the guy.
"The charisma of a damp rag!!" :D
Crossing my fingers for UKIP!

freedomordeath
05-15-2012, 04:20 PM
To the Brits, I've been looking everywhere for UKIPs position on central banking, do you know what they are. Also you do realize they introducing electronic voting in the UK, you know what that means.

I personally against parties, the caucus system actually is the best system hands down, purley because you vote for someone in your street you trust, he then votes for someone at the local area and so on and so on

freedomordeath
05-15-2012, 04:21 PM
Also we need our own media, for me this is the biggest factor in getting sheeple.