PDA

View Full Version : NJ: City Bans Texting While Walking

aGameOfThrones
05-14-2012, 11:29 AM
I've been bumped on the streets by people who were texting while walking. A thousand times. It's annoying. I guess I should be happy that the town of Fort Lee, New Jersey, have started issuing $85 tickets to any pedestrians caught texting and walking.

Except I'm not. It's a stupid law.

The fact is that I've also been bumped by pedestrians walking their dogs, lovers getting all over each other, people window shopping, fast walkers looking to the other side of the street, smokers looking for a cigarette, kids running around aimlessly, men in a hurry looking at their watches, women looking in their bags, girls browsing their iPods for a new album to play, boys playing Gameboy, and a hundred other combinations. Distractions and collisions happen all the time for a million reasons.

Should the police ban and fine every single distracting activity that could lead to an accident on the sidewalk? If you agree with Fort Lee town officials and Stony Brook University's Eric Lamberg—co-author of a study on the effects of texting on walking—the only logical answer is yes. Lamberg found that texting disrupts your ability to walk much more than does talking (science!), making people 60 percent "more likely to veer off line."

But so would any of the activities described above—things that people do every day on the sidewalks of every city.

And don't think it's a law just for show. Fort Lee is being serious about this: 117 tickets and counting.

http://gizmodo.com/5909943/city-bans-texting-while-walking-good-or-bad

Comment...

Michael Lee @SkipErnst

I work for the town as an EMT. And I live there. And I'm not stupid. This law wasn't created by us. PD was already able to issue tickets for dangerous behavior while walking, which primarily involved jaywalking. They just decided to include texting as well due to the steadily increasing number of accidents involving texting pedestrians.

And no, this is not a moronic law. If you're going to fucking text, just stop walking. It's the same thing as texting and driving. You say this is a moronic law because you haven't seen what happens to the pedestrians who get struck by vehicles. Why should I have to be in the middle of traffic to treat them and transport them, putting my own life in potential danger, just because the moron was too busy texting to see where he was going?

angelatc
05-14-2012, 11:34 AM
damn. that's going to seriously limit the number of seriously funny pedestrian YouTube videos coming from that area.

Gotta love that comment though. We have to limit texting while walking to protect the EMTs.

Romulus
05-14-2012, 11:35 AM
Chewing gum and walking is next.

tod evans
05-14-2012, 11:35 AM
More laws faster!

VoluntaryAmerican
05-14-2012, 11:36 AM
Only in NJ.

specsaregood
Its the same state that banned e-cigarettes anywhere that regular tobacco smoking is prohibited.

Romulus
damn. that's going to seriously limit the number of seriously funny pedestrian YouTube videos coming from that area.

Gotta love that comment though. We have to limit texting while walking to protect the EMTs.

They know best.. afterall their day is filled with accidents, so you know, in everyone elses normal life is just accidents waiting to happen according to them.

Romulus
05-14-2012, 11:37 AM
Its the same state that banned e-cigarettes anywhere that regular tobacco smoking is prohibited.

What are those... cigs you can send in your email?

HeY look.. you got cigs!

CaptUSA
05-14-2012, 11:38 AM
Should the police ban and fine every single distracting activity that could lead to an accident on the sidewalk?Hopefully that is a rhetorical question and not an invitation.

specsaregood
05-14-2012, 11:42 AM
What are those... cigs you can send in your email?

HeY look.. you got cigs!

lol, no. They are smokeless cigarettes, there is no smoke output, just some water vapor. (IIRC). No smoke, no fire, no danger to others. Banning chewing gum would make as much sense.

ShaneEnochs
05-14-2012, 11:44 AM
OMFG PLEASE SAVE ME FROM MYSELF

VoluntaryAmerican
05-14-2012, 11:45 AM
Hopefully that is a rhetorical question and not an invitation.

Why can't you get it thru your head that ZERO FREEDOM = ABSOLUTE SECURITY?

Reported.

enjerth
05-14-2012, 11:58 AM
It's about time. Do you know how many families have been trampled to death by wild roaming gangs of texters? Just the other day one of them bumped into me on the sidewalk, nearly broke both of my legs! Let me tell you, they are JUST as bad as drivers while texting.

It's not too late to save a life. See something, say something. Now at least you know that the next time you're annoyed by some kid walking by in front of your house, making entirely too much noise punching keys on his phone's keypad, the police are on your side and they can take care of it for you.

Anti Federalist
05-14-2012, 12:04 PM
They know best.. afterall their day is filled with accidents, so you know, in everyone elses normal life is just accidents waiting to happen according to them.

Now you know why, to a cop, there are only three types of people in the world:

Cops.

Cops' friends and families.

Scumbags.

aGameOfThrones
05-14-2012, 12:21 PM
Now you know why, to a cop, there are only three types of people in the world:

Cops.

Cops' friends and families.

Scumbags.

You be the scum I'll be the bags, and if you ever need a lift... I'll be glad to be the bags to your scum.

Anti Federalist
05-14-2012, 12:30 PM
Only in NJ.

You know, that's illegal in NJ.

Everything is illegal in NJ.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xBdpINm9UBU

Keith and stuff
05-14-2012, 12:31 PM
I'll continue to text while driving, which is perfectly legal where I live. I'll continue to not get into accidents and continue to pay my optional automobile insurance (I live in NH, the only state where even the elected Democrats are overwhelmingly against a mandatory auto insurance law) which is less than $290 per year.

Is NJ the worst place to live in the US? Of course? Does this new law change that? Nope.

Lishy
05-14-2012, 01:12 PM
Augh.. I use to live there.. What a bunch of arrogant politicians! Glad I'm gone.

oyarde
05-15-2012, 10:31 AM
I BAN NEW JERSEY

Danke
05-15-2012, 11:34 AM
meh, texters weren't worth many points anyway.

QuickZ06
05-15-2012, 03:41 PM
Insane.

Nirvikalpa
05-15-2012, 04:33 PM
I'm a NJ EMT, and I am going to miss those pedestrian transports. :(

Anti Federalist
05-15-2012, 04:39 PM
I'm a NJ EMT, and I am going to miss those pedestrian transports. :(

What do you say to this comment from a NJ EMT?

Why should I have to be in the middle of traffic to treat them and transport them, putting my own life in potential danger, just because the moron was too busy texting to see where he was going?

CaptainAmerica
05-15-2012, 04:41 PM
http://www.geekologie.com/2008/03/07/padded-poles.jpg

DamianTV
05-15-2012, 04:43 PM
I'd like to make a Motion from the Floor that we pass a Law that prohibits ANY form of Taxation by Citation Laws!

QuickZ06
05-15-2012, 04:45 PM

Why should I have to be in the middle of traffic to treat them and transport them, putting my own life in potential danger, just because the moron was too busy texting to see where he was going?

Guess that person never heard of a combat medic....

Kluge
05-15-2012, 04:52 PM
Heh. Some douche from that state wanted to ban using salt in restaurants. My work-around of that would be to have shakers full of bacon bits.

That said, I used to read and walk and ran into stuff all the time. I provided free entertainment for fellow peds.

Kluge
05-15-2012, 04:56 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AQn5BzqAmmI

phill4paul
05-15-2012, 05:39 PM
If they wanted less accidents they are going about it the wrong way. One law - one sentence. Any individual involved in an accident is culpable and sentenced to death. Poof. Accidents begin to disappear overnight. Think of all the money that could be saved.

DamianTV
05-15-2012, 06:23 PM
Guess that person never heard of a combat medic....

If they are dumb enough to pass a Taxation by Citation law that prohibits the victimless crime of texting while walking, why dont they take it a step further into the realm of where there is a victim and make it unlawful for a victim to be shot by a firearm? See, it isnt the fault of the person who pulled the trigger, but rather the person that got shot for having done something to cause them to be shot in the first place?

The whole thing just reeks of the insanity that permeates every orifice of the people that pass such insane laws! What did we do, elect the Mad Hatter to represent the voice of the people?

Liberty74
05-15-2012, 06:38 PM
Philly last year was talking about implementing a no walk and txt ban as well or get a stupid ticket. But I am not sure where that went...

I walk downtown all the time in Philly yet never really experienced any issues with people txting while walking. It's just another excuse for the govt to control us and make their money. Chicago is putting up many red light ticket cameras and raking in the money.

They are coming after everything. :mad:

Nirvikalpa
05-15-2012, 09:46 PM

I never go into an area where my own life is at risk. I always make sure the scene is safe, that's a basic rule for EMS. I don't know what pedestrian accidents this guy's been to (I mean, he could potentially be a fireman/EMT and actually be a first responder where the scene may not be exactly 'safe' yet, ie, no traffic cones or directed traffic yet) but what good is it to my patient if I am injured as well (that being said, EMS is a pretty dangerous profession overall, with 4x more injuries than the average worker. If one's really all that concerned about 'safety' perhaps one should rethink their job choice? Lifting is dangerous, gang activity is dangerous [depending on what area of NJ this guy serves], stabbings/shootings are dangerous, car suicides are dangerous, hell, even some DV calls are dangerous.) You just have to constantly have your wits about you (and your crewmates), and for the most part you'll be fine.

I would ask him... I don't know, why should I risk my life to save a gangbanger? Why should I give my best to an alcoholic patient who kicked me in the chest or punched me? Why should I risk my life trying to save someone who tried to take their own life? Because I signed up for it. You can't exactly say you didn't understand the risks before signing up...

TL;DR. EMS is a risky & dangerous profession. EMT's know the risk before signing up for an agency. No reason for the gov't to get involved. Yeah, it pisses me off to no end when I get a call for a teenager who tried to reenact a youtube of a guy setting his fart on fire... but meh, stupid is as stupid does and I have seen my fair share of really frickin' stupid, yet none that have been attributed to "texting while walking" accidents. I think I'm tired of automobile accidents though (especially on the turnpike), can I rally the EMT's to not respond to vehicle accidents, or just ban vehicles in NJ?