PDA

View Full Version : Texas

Carlybee
05-13-2012, 10:48 AM
From the Houston Chronicle:
Harris County residents have requested a record number of mail-in ballots for this month's primary, a shift political observers attribute to more targeted campaign efforts by candidates and interest groups and the rising age of the average primary voter.

As of Tuesday afternoon, 31,629 people had requested mail ballots - 21,053 for the Republican primary and 10,576 for the Democratic primary, Harris County Clerk Stan Stanart said. That number, taken three weeks before election day, already exceeded the previous record of 29,970 mail ballots requested for a primary, in 2008.

An aside: My uber-neocon boss made sure she sent in her pro-Romney mail in ballot. You are only supposed to mail it in if you know you are going to be out of town or are over a certain age, or disabled, etc. She is none of the above so she basically lied about that. She told me, "I better not hear about you voting for Ron Paul". Whereby I replied, "Okay, you won't hear about it." (and in my mind thinking "Bite me, beyotch" :D..non verbal since I need my job). But just an example of the type of people...good ol establishment Republicans here in Texas...we are dealing with.

The chairman of the Republican Party in Harris County has been elected 5 times in a row and couldn't be more establishment. I can't speak for other counties in Texas but I keep seeing people think RP is going to take Texas and I think people need to really try to gain an understanding of just how embedded the GOP establishment is here in Texas and how much establishment GOP money is here.

Just wanted to start this thread for the purpose of discovering and isolating potential issues to use as tools.

With regard to the primary. Here in Harris County we have the eSlate machines...there are documented issues with them in every past election since they have been used. I recommend trying to get to early voting if you can so you don't feel as rushed and can pay attention to what you are doing.

libertyjam
05-13-2012, 11:08 AM
I have a huge problem with those E-slate machines myself. The last local bond election we had there were 4 bonds to vote on and every single one passed with 3 of the 4 on 1-2% margins and the 4th with a 3% margin. In early voting e-voting is 100%, only way to do a paper ballot is to vote on actual election day and e-vote machines are 4 to 1 or more on that day. Now I don't think I've ever seen 100% of bond proposals that are proposed being passed in this town. With the e-votes, there is no way to verify that the vote counts are accurate, there is no paper tail whatsoever. In other places using the exact same machines they have shown that they could not even get the vote totals to match the voter rolls of those who voted. I don't know that here anyone is even checking, even if I would be surprised if they are not.

digitaldean
05-13-2012, 11:14 AM
I hope people use this flyer in TX:

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B0oRX5D16N4XSjlYdVJvYlhrX00/edit?pli=1

We will not win TX without getting young people, Independents and Democrats out in numbers voting for Paul. We need to stop trying to work Republicans because as we have seen they would rather vote for Newt and Frothy over Paul. And I say let them be divided between those 3 while we get those other 3 groups to help pull a win for Paul. And trust me I am sure Mitt wont be getting 60-65% in TX like the last 5-7 states.

revned
05-13-2012, 11:25 AM
If that were my boss, I would be handing in my two-week notice, because there is no way in hell that I wouldn't bring up Ron Paul on a daily basis.

No one tells me who, or who not, to vote for. I would be wearing Ron Paul gear to work every single day, almost in hopes of getting fired for it.

Every time I hear of stuff like this, it sickens me and all I want to do is rant about it.

Carlybee
05-13-2012, 12:58 PM
If that were my boss, I would be handing in my two-week notice, because there is no way in hell that I wouldn't bring up Ron Paul on a daily basis.

No one tells me who, or who not, to vote for. I would be wearing Ron Paul gear to work every single day, almost in hopes of getting fired for it.

Every time I hear of stuff like this, it sickens me and all I want to do is rant about it.

Ive been working there 13 yrs and she is close to retirement. I couldnt find a job making the same money in this economic climate. Right now survival trumps principle.

idiom
05-13-2012, 01:40 PM
Ive been working there 13 yrs and she is close to retirement. I couldnt find a job making the same money in this economic climate. Right now survival trumps principle.

She is going to retire? What is she going to live on? Does she know Romney's plans will continue the systematic destruction f all savings and pension schemes?

Carlybee
05-13-2012, 01:51 PM
She is going to retire? What is she going to live on? Does she know Romney's plans will continue the systematic destruction f all savings and pension schemes?

She's worth a couple of million and has no dependents. I'm sure she will survive or at least until the shtf.

jeremiahj13
05-13-2012, 01:58 PM

Easy to say when it isn't you! Just like when Mr. Obama/Bush send troops to war, it is with "Great courage, and reluctance" they do it with.... yeh right

revned
05-13-2012, 02:02 PM
Ha, I get your point, but I've done much worse than just telling a boss off.

jointhefightforfreedom
05-13-2012, 02:10 PM

agreed! I will go one step further Fuck off if you don't like my opinion on who I AM VOTING FOR OR WHY.

Voluntary Man
05-13-2012, 07:39 PM
so, Okies have bigger balls than Texans?

Oddone
05-13-2012, 07:44 PM
so, Okies have bigger balls than Texans?

I haven't got clue what your post has to do with this thread.

zachrbroussard
05-13-2012, 07:54 PM
I would say our biggest problem in Texas (I'm from Houston as well) is all the sheeple. You just can't argue logically with a lot of people. They see Paul supporters as tin-foil wearing loonies. And the OK and AZ conventions certainly won't help!

Voluntary Man
05-13-2012, 08:28 PM
I haven't got clue what your post has to do with this thread.

yeah. sorry. just a disjointed jibe, playing off the border state rivalry, and all that. inspired by my high hopes and low expectations for Ron's adopted home state. honestly, Ron (and the good folks here, of course) aside, most Texans I've met are all hat and no clue. i eagerly await the opportunity to eat crow.

Jackie Treehorn
05-13-2012, 08:30 PM
I would say our biggest problem in Texas (I'm from Houston as well) is all the sheeple. You just can't argue logically with a lot of people. They see Paul supporters as tin-foil wearing loonies. And the OK and AZ conventions certainly won't help!

We do have some hard-line neocons in these parts.

Oddone
05-13-2012, 08:32 PM
yeah. sorry. just a disjointed jibe, playing off the border state rivalry, and all that. inspired by my high hopes and low expectations for Ron's adopted home state. honestly, Ron aside, most Texans I've met are all hat and no clue. i eagerly await the opportunity to eat crow.

Are you from Oklahoma? I take it you haven't got a clue what we are doing here in Texas. See all y'all other Texas state delegates in Fort Worth June 7th-9th!

Voluntary Man
05-13-2012, 08:35 PM
Are you from Oklahoma? I take it you haven't got a clue what we are doing here in Texas. See all y'all other Texas state delegates in Fort Worth June 7th-9th!

we'll see.

MikeStanart
05-13-2012, 08:53 PM
From the Houston Chronicle:

Harris County residents have requested a record number of mail-in ballots for this month's primary, a shift political observers attribute to more targeted campaign efforts by candidates and interest groups and the rising age of the average primary voter.

As of Tuesday afternoon, 31,629 people had requested mail ballots - 21,053 for the Republican primary and 10,576 for the Democratic primary, Harris County Clerk Stan Stanart said. That number, taken three weeks before election day, already exceeded the previous record of 29,970 mail ballots requested for a primary, in 2008.

Hah, Anyone notice something there? I give you my word that Harris County will be a clean election. I trust my Father to uphold the legitimacy of this election, if not; a disownment is in order. :D

zachrbroussard
05-13-2012, 08:55 PM
Hah, Anyone notice something there? Harris County will be a clean election folks. I trust my father to uphold the legitimacy of this election, if not; a disownment is in order. :D

Seriously?

MikeStanart
05-13-2012, 09:00 PM
Seriously? Seriously what?

Yes, My dad is running an Election in the third largest county in the country.

zachrbroussard
05-13-2012, 10:35 PM
Seriously what?

Nice!

ClydeCoulter
05-13-2012, 11:05 PM
Seriously what?

Will be good to see a fair election process :)