PDA

View Full Version : North Carolina bans gay marriage, but you can still marry your cousin.

Agorism
05-12-2012, 08:33 AM
North Carolina Truth: you can marry your Cousin in Charlotte but not your Partner in Pinehurst

http://irregulartimes.com/index.php/archives/2012/05/10/north-carolina-truth-you-can-marry-your-cousin-in-charlotte-but-not-your-partner-in-pinehurst

North Carolina Bans Gay Marriage but You Can Marry Your First Cousin

In an outrageous attempt to regulate religious views, the state of North Carolina banned gay marriage in their constitution, a document many of the voters have never read.

The law basically bans all unions, marriages or relationships unless it is one man and one women, of the sexes. This means, common-law-marriages between a man and a woman is not recognized either.

The kicker is that you can marry your first cousin in North Carolina, so inbreeding is totally legal.

Ranger29860
05-12-2012, 08:36 AM
North Carolina Truth: you can marry your Cousin in Charlotte but not your Partner in Pinehurst

http://irregulartimes.com/index.php/archives/2012/05/10/north-carolina-truth-you-can-marry-your-cousin-in-charlotte-but-not-your-partner-in-pinehurst

I saw a great little picture awhile back that shows all the states that it is legal to marry your first cousin versus gay marriage and was surprised to see how many states actually allow cousins to marry :(

Granted I have had Christians actually argue that marrying your cousin is more natural than gay marriage since there were only so many people in adam and eves time and so few people after Noah's time to.

LibertyEagle
05-12-2012, 08:37 AM
This movement is about leaving it up to the states and the people and hopefully, eventually, getting the government completely out of the marriage business. If the people of North Carolina don't like this, they need to overturn it.

At least this is not a federal one-size-fits-all.

Philosophy_of_Politics
05-12-2012, 08:58 AM
This movement is about leaving it up to the states and the people and hopefully, eventually, getting the government completely out of the marriage business. If the people of North Carolina don't like this, they need to overturn it.

At least this is not a federal one-size-fits-all.

Not really. States Rights are our "middle ground" and constitutionally appropriate resolution to numerous issues. However, considering that gay people are human, they're entitled to the same human rights that any of us are. Individual Rights (human rights), holds priority even over the State.

specsaregood
05-12-2012, 09:01 AM
Not really. States Rights are our "middle ground" and constitutionally appropriate resolution to numerous issues. However, considering that gay people are human, they're entitled to the same human rights that any of us are. Individual Rights (human rights), holds priority even over the State.

There is no "right" to a govt licensed relationship. Unless people are being forcibly kept apart from each other or fined, no rights are being trampled.

PaulConventionWV
05-12-2012, 09:02 AM
I saw a great little picture awhile back that shows all the states that it is legal to marry your first cousin versus gay marriage and was surprised to see how many states actually allow cousins to marry :(

Granted I have had Christians actually argue that marrying your cousin is more natural than gay marriage since there were only so many people in adam and eves time and so few people after Noah's time to.

It's definitely more natural, but there are consequences.

Also, you can gay marry in NC, you just can't get a government certificate saying that you're married.

Agorism
05-12-2012, 09:06 AM
What's the name of that Christian fraternity house that Larry Craig and Santorum used to live at?

The family?

Barrex
05-12-2012, 09:08 AM
Are you serious about "inbreeding thing"? I heard it few times when people mock U.S.A. but....

Philosophy_of_Politics
05-12-2012, 09:09 AM
There is no "right" to a govt licensed relationship. Unless people are being forcibly kept apart from each other or fined, no rights are being trampled.

We know that. Marriage is a private contract. It's a human right to be able to choose your companion. I never implied that government marriage licenses were necessary. When marriage becomes a role of government, anytime you become married, you become married to the state.

GeorgiaAvenger
05-12-2012, 09:09 AM
Are you serious about "inbreeding thing"? I heard it few times when people mock U.S.A. but....

Its bullshit that northerners repeat without ever having lived in the south.

specsaregood
05-12-2012, 09:10 AM
What's the name of that Christian fraternity house that Larry Craig and Santorum used to live at?

The family?

Yup, and Demint and Sanford. Crazy cult house is more like it.

specsaregood
05-12-2012, 09:11 AM
We know that. Marriage is a private contract. It's a human right to be able to choose your companion. I never implied that government marriage licenses were necessary. When marriage becomes a role of government, anytime you become married, you become married to the state.

So what ya'll are saying is that the gays in NC should be thanking the state govt for forbidding them from getting married to the state?

Ranger29860
05-12-2012, 09:36 AM
Its bullshit that northerners repeat without ever having lived in the south.

ROFL wow, My entire family is from the south and I can tell you inbreeding happens. I have a buddy who's family tree literley has a few circles on it. Its not some lie just a cultural problem we have down here.

Philosophy_of_Politics
05-12-2012, 09:42 AM
So what ya'll are saying is that the gays in NC should be thanking the state govt for forbidding them from getting married to the state?

No. What we're saying is that people need to be advocating Non-Intrusive Government into the area of Marriage, as it's not a role of government.

DerailingDaTrain
05-12-2012, 09:47 AM
Is this even true? I live here and I've never heard of this. I always thought of this as some stereotype about Southerners.

PaulConventionWV
05-12-2012, 09:49 AM

Yah.

specsaregood
05-12-2012, 09:49 AM
No. What we're saying is that people need to be advocating Non-Intrusive Government into the area of Marriage, as it's not a role of government.

And if a NC gay group got together and made a big public announcement saying exactly what I just said it would be advocating just that.

asurfaholic
05-12-2012, 09:50 AM

The "people" of this state decided otherwise. Its not worth getting your panties in a bunch over, if a gay couple wants to be treated better they can move to a more liberal state.

Edit - to be clear I am not insinuating that your panties are in a bunch, I mean that in general. Seems to be alot of people in other states that are spending too much time on this.

About the cousin thing.... adam and eve's kids had to start somewhere.... :x

PaulConventionWV
05-12-2012, 09:50 AM
ROFL wow, My entire family is from the south and I can tell you inbreeding happens. I have a buddy who's family tree literley has a few circles on it. Its not some lie just a cultural problem we have down here.

I'm not sure if it's even just a "down here" problem. West Virginia probably gets picked on the most for this, but studies have shown that WVs incest rate is average for the country. The highest in the country was in Alaska, but nobody picks on them.

PaulConventionWV
05-12-2012, 09:52 AM
Is this even true? I live here and I've never heard of this. I always thought of this as some stereotype about Southerners.

Just because it's legal, doesn't mean it happens all the time.

But yeah, I've heard of that happening in NC. Ironically, I've never heard of that in WV, and I live here.

PaulConventionWV
05-12-2012, 09:54 AM
The "people" of this state decided otherwise. Its not worth getting your panties in a bunch over, if a gay couple wants to be treated better they can move to a more liberal state.

Edit - to be clear I am not insinuating that your panties are in a bunch, I mean that in general. Seems to be alot of people in other states that are spending too much time on this.

That's because genetic mutations weren't a problem in Adam and Eve's generation. Inbreeding wasn't a problem for them. They are now because of the mistakes that have been passed down.

matt0611
05-12-2012, 10:25 AM
There's nothing wrong with marrying your first cousin. The risk of birth defects is highly exaggerated.

Kluge
05-12-2012, 10:38 AM
There's nothing wrong with marrying your first cousin. The risk of birth defects is highly exaggerated.

Except that it's really fucking weird.

My cousins were like siblings to me.

"Hey aunt mama, go get uncle daddy, we's startin' the bar-b-que!" (I apologize in advance for any offensive stereotyping...sorta)

Philosophy_of_Politics
05-12-2012, 10:38 AM

Excuse me, but when did states right's overcome individual rights?

Ranger29860
05-12-2012, 10:48 AM

LOL I don't know why but I practically couldn't breath after reading that I was laughing so hard. I ready it then immediately look at your avatar.

asurfaholic
05-12-2012, 11:38 AM
Excuse me, but when did states right's overcome individual rights?

The state didn't do it. It was a vote that all nc residents of voting age could participate in.

I have said before I don't agree with it. And I certainly don't believe a state has more rights than the individual. But my position is this - the people of nc decided to enact a law, that's well within the bounds of freedom. Same for drug laws - some states have criminalized drugs, others not so much. As long as the fed govt isn't involved and overriding state decisions. There are multiple places here in nc that it is illegal to buy alcohol on Sunday. Its not a states rights issue, but instead its the people of a community, city, state that decide on what kind of laws there are in the area.

Gay people can move away if they dont like it.

That's the beauty of having 50 states.. each one can be a little different, and people can move to where they most enjoy it.

Philosophy_of_Politics
05-12-2012, 11:39 AM
The state didn't do it. It was a vote that all nc residents of voting age could participate in.

I have said before I don't agree with it. And I certainly don't believe a state has more rights than the individual. But my position is this - the people of nc decided to enact a law, that's well within the bounds of freedom. Same for drug laws - some states have criminalized drugs, others not so much. As long as the fed govt isn't involved and overriding state decisions. There are multiple places here in nc that it is illegal to buy alcohol on Sunday. Its not a states rights issue, but instead its the people of a community, city, state that decide on what kind of laws there are in the area.

Gay people can move away if they dont like it.

That's the beauty of having 50 states.. each one can be a little different, and people can move to where they most enjoy it.

Why is government holding a vote on marriage to begin with? That IS intrusive government. States can be anti-liberty as well.

asurfaholic
05-12-2012, 11:47 AM
Why is government holding a vote on marriage to begin with? That IS intrusive government. States can be anti-liberty as well.

I don't know dude. Its obviously a power grab, and the amendment had very little to do with gay marraige anyways. I voted against it. The overwhelming majority in the state voted for it. Liberty lost a battle.

What do you hope to accomplish here?

James Madison
05-12-2012, 12:39 PM
Except that it's really fucking weird.

My cousins were like siblings to me.

"Hey aunt mama, go get uncle daddy, we's startin' the bar-b-que!" (I apologize in advance for any offensive stereotyping...sorta)

Earlier in human evolution inbreeding was quite normal. Consider a tribe of several hundred members; every individual would have been at best 3rd or 4th cousins. Only in the recent years with the steady increase in human population and the ease of long-distance transportation have stigmas arisen over incest.

Having said that, the dangers surrounding incest are usually exaggerated. In fact, the likelihood of first cousins having a child with a birth defect is no greater than that of a woman 35 or older. When a women is 40, the risk is actually greater.

Personally the government shouldn't be involved in marriage at all. Whether it's two guys, two first cousins, or a guy and five girls getting married, as long as all parties consent to the marriage it doesn't hurt me or anyone else.

Voluntarist
05-12-2012, 12:41 PM
xxxxx

Kluge
05-12-2012, 02:09 PM
Earlier in human evolution inbreeding was quite normal. Consider a tribe of several hundred members; every individual would have been at best 3rd or 4th cousins. Only in the recent years with the steady increase in human population and the ease of long-distance transportation have stigmas arisen over incest.

Having said that, the dangers surrounding incest are usually exaggerated. In fact, the likelihood of first cousins having a child with a birth defect is no greater than that of a woman 35 or older. When a women is 40, the risk is actually greater.

Personally the government shouldn't be involved in marriage at all. Whether it's two guys, two first cousins, or a guy and five girls getting married, as long as all parties consent to the marriage it doesn't hurt me or anyone else.

I agree, but I still reserve the right to say that it's really effing weird and creepy.

Do I think this guy should have been charged? No. Would I want him in my life? Absolutely not. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/12/10/david-epstein-incest-char_n_794864.html

Icymudpuppy
05-12-2012, 02:37 PM
Dude, some of my cousins are HAWT! Kinda wish I lived in a small remote village where such relationships were normal... Like minded, similar background...

Ranger29860
05-12-2012, 02:39 PM
Dude, some of my cousins are HAWT! Kinda wish I lived in a small remote village where such relationships were normal... Like minded, similar background...

ROFL props for being honest

phill4paul
05-12-2012, 03:12 PM

LOL. I wrote these lyrics awhile ago but I think I'll rename the song 'Puppy Love'

I love her, she loves me
We're meant to be together
That's the way it oughta be

Aha (Hank Willams- A-haaa), she's my little darlin'

Well I'm about twenty and she's thiteen
But shes the cutest thing
I ever have seen

Aha that's how it's always been

Well she looks looks like my mama
and that's just fine by me
'cause she's thirty-three and still has her teeth

Aha, nothing wrong with marrying kin

Well there ain't nothing wrong
With marryin' kin
Hell, she ain't my sister just my first cousin

Aha, nothing wrong with marryin' kin
Aha, that's how it's a;ways been
Aha, she's my little darlin'

Danke
05-12-2012, 03:35 PM
I agree, but I still reserve the right to say that it's really effing weird and creepy.

So judgemental.

Bane Of The State
05-12-2012, 04:21 PM
Marriage licenses are an illegitimate government function, a function government has no right to be involved in. So, gays do not have a "right" to take part in an illegitimate government action, just as no one else has a "right" to engage in other illegitimate acts of government (wealth distribution, aggressive wars, etc.)

Agorism
05-12-2012, 04:21 PM
So judgemental.

You spell like a Brit.

Kluge
05-12-2012, 05:18 PM
You spell like a Brit.

Danke is a fancy lad, mate. Don't hate.

Pauls' Revere
05-12-2012, 05:28 PM

yeah it's creepy...here's a map.

http://images.search.yahoo.com/images/view;_ylt=A2KJkK1F8a5PIB8A3q2JzbkF;_ylu=X3oDMTBlMT Q4cGxyBHNlYwNzcgRzbGsDaW1n?back=http%3A%2F%2Fimage s.search.yahoo.com%2Fsearch%2Fimages%3Fp%3Dstaes%2 Bwhere%2Byou%2Bcan%2Bmarry%2Byour%2Bcousin%26ei%3D UTF-8%26fr%3Dfptb-tyc8%26tab%3Dorganic%26ri%3D6&w=640&h=480&imgurl=www.snodgrassreunion.com%2Fimages%2FcousinM arrMap.jpg&rurl=http%3A%2F%2Fvideocafe.crooksandliars.com%2Fd avid%2Fmcconnell-police-firefighter-layoffs-not-my-&size=46.1+KB&name=know+that+you+can+legally+marry+your+cousin+i n+california+but+not+in+...&p=staes+where+you+can+marry+your+cousin&oid=ecc62efa255b36de64c1c9b47e91b1c9&fr2=&fr=fptb-tyc8&rw=states+where+you+can+marry+your+cousin&tt=know%2Bthat%2Byou%2Bcan%2Blegally%2Bmarry%2Byou r%2Bcousin%2Bin%2Bcalifornia%2Bbut%2Bnot%2Bin%2B.. .&b=0&ni=112&no=6&ts=&tab=organic&sigr=12mm7eftn&sigb=13riroe4b&sigi=11hnrm8m4&.crumb=Koe6S7mJaUZ