PDA

View Full Version : Will Cutting Retirement Funds Stop Lobbying By Former Members Of Congress?

Agorism
05-12-2012, 08:31 AM
Will Cutting Retirement Funds Stop Lobbying By Former Members Of Congress?

http://irregulartimes.com/index.php/archives/2012/05/12/will-cutting-retirement-funds-stop-lobbying-by-former-members-of-congress

Yesterday, U.S. Representative Steve Israel introduced H.R. 5737, legislation that would remove federal retirement benefits for any “former Member of Congress receiving compensation as a highly-paid lobbyist”. Many former members of Congress, such as Newt Gingrich, make a killing using their connections as lobbyists to help corporate clients get special access, so that laws may be written in a way that’s profitable to them.

Reading this bill, I have two questions:

1. What if former members of Congress become lobbyists but are not highly paid?
2. Would H.R. 5737 stop retired members of Congress from becoming lobbyists?

LibertyEagle
05-12-2012, 08:35 AM
Personally, I'd prefer if they make it illegal for prior gummit servants to lobby.

Agorism
05-12-2012, 08:37 AM
This is how Santo and Gingrich got rich, which they say was "working in the private sector."

tod evans
05-12-2012, 08:37 AM
Personally, I'd prefer if they make it illegal for prior gummit servants to lobby.

That would require yet more laws.

I like the idea of not paying them.......

[edit]
A man with ethics would refuse to accept federal pensions, look at RP.

LibertyEagle
05-12-2012, 08:39 AM
That would require yet more laws.

I like the idea of not paying them.......

You're right about the laws, but I am ok with limiting what the gummit can do.

Or, we could start throwing any gummit servant in prison who accepted favors from any lobby.

tod evans
05-12-2012, 08:41 AM
I'd prefer if we started throwing any gummit servant in prison who accepted favors from any lobby.

Figure out a way to do it without more legislation and I'm on board.

Agorism
05-12-2012, 08:41 AM
If they work for 2 year term, they get a retirement and lifelong healthcare packages free. It's a scam anyways.

LibertyEagle
05-12-2012, 08:43 AM
Figure out a way to do it without more legislation and I'm on board.

Like I said, I'm not against more controls on what the government can do.

tod evans
05-12-2012, 08:46 AM
Like I said, I'm not against more controls on what the government can do.

Me either, problem is we could draft 14,000 pages of legislation attempting to rein in government employees and the slick bastards would find a loophole.