PDA

View Full Version : Hawaii State Convention held today

JasonM
05-11-2012, 08:46 PM
http://www.mauinews.com/page/content.detail/id/561036/State-Republican-delegates-gather-for-convention.html?nav=5031

HONOLULU - Hawaii Republicans will be electing new national committee representatives at the state convention being held today and Saturday at the Hilton Hawaiian Village.

Otherwise, party leaders expect the focus to be primarily local, with just a video clip sent over from the national GOP.

If all goes as planned, electing delegates to the national convention should be straightforward. In March, the Hawaii GOP held its first formal and binding presidential caucus. The results bound all but three of Hawaii's 20 delegates to presidential candidates in proportion to their share of the vote.

However, that was also the case in Maine and Nevada, where U.S. Rep. Ron Paul's campaign managed to take bound delegates from frontrunner Mitt Romney.

"I believe that there's not much of a chance of that happening here," said Hawaii GOP Executive Director Nacia Blom. She explained that all but Hawaii's three superdelegates are already pledged. "We were given the numbers and we already know (how the count will turn out)."

Two of the three superdelegates - the national committeeman and national committeewoman - will be elected at the state convention, even though National Committeeman Ted Liu was just recently elected, Blom said.

Neither Paul's national or local campaign could immediately be reached for comment. The Texas congressman has a loyal following in Hawaii and his supporters voiced frustration four years ago when Paul wasn't given the same attention as then-presumptive nominee John McCain. They are likely to once again show up to support their candidate.

Blom said the convention's focus will be largely on state races. Mandatory redistricting means all state lawmakers must run this year to stay in office. That could open the door for Republican caucus numbers to grow at the Legislature. Currently the 51-member House has eight Republicans. The 25-member Senate has only one.

Hawaii Republicans also have their eyes on seats at the U.S. Capitol.

U.S. Sen. Daniel K. Akaka is retiring at the end of this term, offering hopefuls the rare chance at an open seat. On the Republican side, former Gov. Linda Lingle is expected to be a serious contender. Both she and her primary opponent - former Air Force and commercial pilot John Carroll - will appear at the convention.

Former U.S. Rep. Charles Djou will also be present. Djou, who was elected briefly to represent Hawaii's 1st Congressional District in a 2010 special election, has thrown his hat into the ring again to win a full term. The seat is held by Rep. Colleen Hanabusa, a Democrat who defeated Djou in the last general election.

neverseen
05-11-2012, 08:50 PM
any word from the RP grassroots out there?

lib3rtarian
05-11-2012, 08:59 PM
After ME/NV, the Establishment is on extra guard.

dude58677
05-11-2012, 09:21 PM
"We were given the numbers and we already know (how the count will turn out)."

If that were true, then there would be no convention. This is a bluff to take confidence away from Ron Paul supporters.

anaconda
05-11-2012, 09:55 PM
Why can't we get all of the Romney bound delegates in Hawaii?

DamianTV
05-11-2012, 09:57 PM
Oh we can, and we will!

Keep us posted on Hawaii!

RonRules
05-11-2012, 09:58 PM
I REALLY, REALLY need the precinct-level data from HI. We tried to get it but were not successful. If you can get this, please let me know. that's the only state I have yet to analyze.

Knowing what kind of equipment they use would be useful to know also.

Occam's Banana
05-11-2012, 10:03 PM
In March, the Hawaii GOP held its first formal and binding presidential caucus. The results bound all but three of Hawaii's 20 delegates to presidential candidates in proportion to their share of the vote.

However, that was also the case in Maine and Nevada, where U.S. Rep. Ron Paul's campaign managed to take bound delegates from frontrunner Mitt Romney.

That was NOT the case in Maine. Maine delegates are NOT bound. Journalism FAIL. (Associated Press ... why am I not surprised?)

DamianTV
05-11-2012, 10:25 PM
That was NOT the case in Maine. Maine delegates are NOT bound. Journalism FAIL. (Associated Press ... why am I not surprised?)

Just be sure that when you refer to the A.P. you appropriately abbreviate. "Ass. Press."

wgadget
05-11-2012, 10:30 PM
I like how the article states that we were pissed in 2008 when we were treated badly when McCain was the PRESUMPTIVE NOMINEE. We're onto them this time. I hope our guys in HI know about Rule 11.

J_White
05-11-2012, 10:34 PM
Why can't we get all of the Romney bound delegates in Hawaii?

THIS ^^

lib3rtarian
05-11-2012, 10:52 PM
C'mon, HI grassroots! Where Art Thou? RPFers need updates.

Bastiat's The Law
05-11-2012, 10:53 PM
Let's win Hawaii!

dillo
05-11-2012, 11:05 PM
there are no bound delegates

edit; except for the 100 or so superdelegates

FlipObamney
05-11-2012, 11:50 PM
This video has nothing to do with the Hawaii Convention, however, this guy lives in Hawaii. He makes good vids and I'm sure he will let us know whats up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CDYlB580BSo

anaconda
05-12-2012, 12:33 AM
How come there's not a 100+ page thread on the HI convention? Like for Nevada? Why is this any different?

Maximus
05-12-2012, 12:56 AM
Some gnarly waves must have broken out mid convention.

Inkblots
05-12-2012, 01:02 AM
How come there's not a 100+ page thread on the HI convention? Like for Nevada? Why is this any different?

Because it's a small and very remote state with a much less active campaign volunteer community?

Bastiat's The Law
05-12-2012, 01:51 AM
Come to think of it, I've never heard much of anything out of Hawaii. You think the liberty message would be an easy sell though on the islands.

JasonM
05-12-2012, 02:21 AM
Come to think of it, I've never heard much of anything out of Hawaii. You think the liberty message would be an easy sell though on the islands.

It's because the delegates there have already been chosen by the respective campaigns. So the Romney delegates really are Romney supporters, the Paul supporters support Paul, and the Santa and Grinch supporters support Santa and Grinch. No "stealth delegates" or wanabe Paul supporters as other-candidate-bound delegates to be found here. Since delegates are appointed, not chosen, the only thing to do is take over the party.

DamianTV
05-12-2012, 02:28 AM
I know its totally off topic from the thread, but I seriously think that the Govt believes that we all still believe in Santa Claus! Why else would they allow two guys whose nicknames would be "Santa" and "The Grinch" be in an Election Campaign?

JasonM
05-12-2012, 07:00 AM
I know its totally off topic from the thread, but I seriously think that the Govt believes that we all still believe in Santa Claus! Why else would they allow two guys whose nicknames would be "Santa" and "The Grinch" be in an Election Campaign?

We gave them those nicknames, not them. We name them that cuz we see them as the real life self parodies that they are. :P

slamhead
05-12-2012, 08:37 AM
Famous last words.

I believe that there's not much of a chance of that happening here," said Hawaii GOP Executive Director Nacia Blom. She explained that all but Hawaii's three superdelegates are already pledged. "We were given the numbers and we already know (how the count will turn out).

tribute_13
05-12-2012, 08:58 AM
GOP doesn't have superdelegates. This article is worthless.

helmuth_hubener
05-12-2012, 09:07 AM
So the Romney delegates really are Romney supporters, the Paul supporters support Paul, and the Santa and Grinch supporters support Santa and Grinch. No "stealth delegates" or wanabe Paul supporters as other-candidate-bound delegates to be found here. You do not know this. I do not know this. We do not know this. Certainly Romney does not know this. Why?

To be successfully stealth means, by definition, that people do not know about you.

Here's to Ron Paul's Hawaiian ninjas! May you be a super-majority at the convention, may you crush all your enemies with swiftness and stealth. We are all behind you, though we will never know who you are, until Tampa.

anaconda
05-12-2012, 04:06 PM
Looks like there's a different thread for results.

JasonM
05-12-2012, 04:14 PM
Well if you want to take a bet on there being a stealth paul supporter working for the mitt romney campaign who somehow got selected to be a Romney bound delegate in Hawaii, I will happily take it. Loser has to donate $200 to the campaign for liberty website or to a liberty candidate!! How will we determine this? If a Romney-bound delegate votes for Ron Paul at the convention after going to Tampa.

You do not know this. I do not know this. We do not know this. Certainly Romney does not know this. Why?

To be successfully stealth means, by definition, that people do not know about you.

Here's to Ron Paul's Hawaiian ninjas! May you be a super-majority at the convention, may you crush all your enemies with swiftness and stealth. We are all behind you, though we will never know who you are, until Tampa.

anaconda
05-12-2012, 05:21 PM
So, let me get this straight...In Hawaii, there's no "electing delegates" at a convention? They just say, OK Romney you won X% so you get to pick Y number of delegates. And, Dr. Paul, you won Z% of the popular vote so you get to pick W number of delegates. So, what is different about, say, Massachusetts? Since Mittens won the popular vote, why didn't they simply let him pick his own delegates? Is the difference that they must be elected at the state convention floor? Or something like that?

JasonM
05-12-2012, 05:33 PM
So, let me get this straight...In Hawaii, there's no "electing delegates" at a convention? They just say, OK Romney you won X% so you get to pick Y number of delegates. And, Dr. Paul, you won Z% of the popular vote so you get to pick W number of delegates. So, what is different about, say, Massachusetts? Since Mittens won the popular vote, why didn't they simply let him pick his own delegates? Is the difference that they must be elected at the state convention floor? Or something like that?

That's more or less how it goes as far as my understanding of it goes, but it isn't like that with every state.

According to the 2012 RNC delegate summary:

Selection Details
AL – Delegate allocation: Allocated proportionally
based on the caucus vote tally.
Delegate election: Appointed by the Hawaii
Leadership Committee designated by each
Presidential candidate

CD – Delegate allocation: Allocated proportionally
Leadership Committee designated

This is NOT the case is Massachusetts, but this IS the case in California.

Massachusetts:

Selection Details
AL – Delegate allocation: Proportional with 15%
threshold
Delegate election: At State Committee Meeting

CD – Delegate allocation: Proportional with 15%
threshold
Delegate election: At District Caucuses

California:

Selection Details
AL – Delegate allocation: statewide winner-take-all
Delegate election: Presidential candidates file a
slate of AL delegates prior to primary.

CD – Delegate allocation: district winner-take-all
slate of CD delegates prior to primary.

anaconda
05-13-2012, 05:06 PM
That's more or less how it goes as far as my understanding of it goes, but it isn't like that with every state.

According to the 2012 RNC delegate summary:

Selection Details
AL – Delegate allocation: Allocated proportionally
Leadership Committee designated by each
Presidential candidate

CD – Delegate allocation: Allocated proportionally
Leadership Committee designated

This is NOT the case is Massachusetts, but this IS the case in California.

Massachusetts:

Selection Details
AL – Delegate allocation: Proportional with 15%
threshold
Delegate election: At State Committee Meeting

CD – Delegate allocation: Proportional with 15%
threshold
Delegate election: At District Caucuses

California:

Selection Details
AL – Delegate allocation: statewide winner-take-all