PDA

View Full Version : Education: Job Corps

Supernaut
05-11-2012, 06:47 PM
I recently got a job teaching at a Job Corps center. So now I'm a federal employee who works for the U.S. Forest Service.

For those that do not know about it, Job Corps is a program administered by the United States Department of Labor that offers free-of-charge education and vocational training to youth ages 16 to 24. The Forest Service operates a few dozen of them scattered throughout the country.

I began to feel like a sellout to my libertarian ideals. But as I looked into it, it came as a surprise to me that Ron Paul is apparently a big fan of Job Corps.

He gave testimony in 2001 defending the program.
http://archives.republicans.edlabor.house.gov/archive/hearings/107th/fc/members32801/paul.htm

"My experience has convinced me Job Corps is one of the best uses of federal job training and education funds." - Ron Paul

He is also a member of the "Friends of Job Corps" Caucus.
http://www.njcaweb.org/pages/page.asp?page_id=99398

Is anyone familiar with Job Corps, and if so what is your opinion of it? Is it a good use of federal money and a worthwhile program, or is it a waste of taxpayer money?

donnay
05-11-2012, 09:09 PM
It is one step away from the penitentiary--or at least the one my daughter was in was.

To my way of thinking government has no business training anyone-- with two exceptions: militias and the military for defense.

PatriotOne
05-11-2012, 09:15 PM
All I know is that the robustly healthy and happy 17 yr old who use to mow my lawn went into job corps last summer and came back a skinny, depressed kid with uber health problems. I was shocked. Oh and he started smoking over there and has a pack a day habit now.

Paul Fan
05-12-2012, 12:53 AM
There is no good use for federal job training funds. That is one of the most corrupt areas of government spending because the funds mostly go to political cronies. In that sense, Job Corps is better because the money goes to federal employees. The forest service ones are probably the best; the inner city ones are too much like prison - the kids can only leave like once a week, I think.

To the OP: it isn't easy finding a job that lets you uphold libertarian ideals. Self-emplyment is better, or possibly teach at a private school? What is your skill area?