PDA

View Full Version : Garbage Truck Drivers, Landscapers Snoop for Cops

Marenco
05-11-2012, 05:40 PM
Garbage Truck Drivers, Landscapers Snoop for Cops

By Ariel Barkhurst, Sun Sentinel
4:12 a.m. EDT, May 11, 2012

DEERFIELD BEACH— Criminals, beware the gardener.
This city has a new way of fighting crime: Employees who are out and about, trimming trees or picking up litter on the beach, are officially on the lookout for signs of a crime.

A group of about 70 landscapers and garbage truck drivers got training from the Broward Sheriff's Office this week so they know what to look for. Another group of about 35 will train next week.

BSO calls the program Operation B.O.L.O. When an employee reports something suspicious, on-duty BSO deputies will drive to the scene. If the information leads to an arrest, the employee gets a reward of up to $100.

"We're targeting employees out and about throughout the day, who can be an extra set of eyes and ears," said BSO Deerfield Police Chief Pete Sudler. "There's no doubt while they're out there, things are going on around them they're not trained to spot yet."

The program is the first of its kind in South Florida, Sudler said, though there are similar programs in Illinois, Texas and in Central Florida. He's never heard of a city paying employees for good information, though.

The program is funded by BSO's Law Enforcement Trust Fund, which is made up of funds seized during investigations. By Florida law, the trust fund must be spent on special programs or crime prevention and can't be used to defray normal operating costs for a police department.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/fl-deerfield-employees-spot-crime-20120511,0,4489861.story

Lishy
05-11-2012, 05:46 PM
Criminals guilty of what, exactly?

phill4paul
05-11-2012, 05:56 PM
Nope, no problem at all with the ever tightening noose of a police state. None at all. Hope the landscapers know the difference between these..

http://images.icanhascheezburger.com/completestore/2008/11/7/128705522772170757.jpg

kcchiefs6465
05-11-2012, 05:56 PM
Loud music, growing marijuana.. does it really matter?

Lishy
05-11-2012, 06:00 PM
I mean, the point of law enforcement, if we put aside the corrupt state, is to punish those who violate others liberties. So what exactly is the point of this?

phill4paul
05-11-2012, 06:01 PM
I mean, the point of law enforcement, if we put aside the corrupt state, is to punish those who violate others liberties. So what exactly is the point of this?

Revenue and justification for a police state.

Lishy
05-11-2012, 06:03 PM

Maybe they're just passing random laws hit by the darts on a dartboard, and there is absolutely no rational, conscious thought into why this is happening in the first place :confused::confused::confused::confused::confused: :confused:

kcchiefs6465
05-11-2012, 06:07 PM
To violate everyones' liberties.

Carson
05-11-2012, 06:18 PM
I'll bet illegal immigration isn't on the list.

kcchiefs6465
05-11-2012, 06:24 PM
I'll bet illegal immigration isn't on the list.
What do you expect......... report all of the 'brown people?' Maybe just ask them for identification? What do you propose should be on that list? Aside from illegal immigration.

Lafayette
05-11-2012, 06:47 PM
When an employee reports something suspicious, on-duty BSO deputies will drive to the scene. If the information leads to an arrest, the employee gets a reward of up to $100.

See something say something bitches!

Hell yeah! Im gonna report everything and anything!

I wonder if reports that lead to a dog killing earn extra?

Kidding aside, this is a tool all tyrannical governments throughout history have used to oppress and imprison their people. Its amazing how easily people will turn on their neighbor out of spite or for a quick buck.

LibForestPaul
05-11-2012, 08:03 PM
the stasi would be proud

Kluge
05-11-2012, 08:09 PM
The original version of the Patriot Act wanted to use utility people/electricians, etc to snoop inside people's houses. Apparently that got struck down, but I wouldn't be surprised if it crept back in in later versions.

tod evans
05-11-2012, 08:10 PM
First they came for the............

John F Kennedy III
05-11-2012, 08:26 PM
Practically everyone and everything spies on us these days.

Danke
05-11-2012, 08:33 PM
I got nothing to hide.

devil21
05-11-2012, 08:35 PM
A measly maximum of $100? That's not even worth the bad karma one will receive for being a snitch.

DamianTV
05-11-2012, 10:00 PM
And they accuse us of wearing Tinfoil Hats? If they have so little trust in the people that they feel the need to spy on every person on the planet, what are they so paranoid of? Unless.... they had something to hide!

kcchiefs6465
05-11-2012, 10:21 PM
I got nothing to hide.
Amen? I believe I recall a post or two of yours that wasn't trolling? Could have been a different danno. :D Anyways, while I may have nothing to hide, that doesn't mean I need/want nosy metermaids peering through my window for an extra Franklin.

kcchiefs6465
05-11-2012, 10:52 PM
--

Wrong thread.

Anti Federalist
05-11-2012, 11:10 PM
See Something. Say Something.

I've posted this before, but please, don't tl;dr, its really that important.

According to Canadian historian Robert Gellately's analysis of the local offices established, the Gestapo was—for the most part—made up of bureaucrats and clerical workers who depended upon denunciations by citizens for their information.

Gellately argued that it was because of the widespread willingness of Germans to inform on each other to the Gestapo that Germany between 1933 and 1945 was a prime example of Panopticism.

Indeed, the Gestapo—at times—was overwhelmed with denunciations and most of its time was spent sorting out the credible from the less credible denunciations. Many of the local offices were understaffed and overworked, struggling with the paper load caused by so many denunciations. Gellately has also suggested that the Gestapo was "a reactive organization" that "...which was constructed within German society and whose functioning was structurally dependent on the continuing co-operation of German citizens".

After 1939, when many Gestapo personnel were called up for war-related work such as service with the Einsatzgruppen, the level of overwork and understaffing at the local offices increased. For information about what was happening in German society, the Gestapo continued to be mostly dependent upon denunciations.

80% of all Gestapo investigations were started in response to information provided by denunciations by ordinary Germans; while 10% were started in response in to information provided by other branches of the German government and another 10% started in response to information that the Gestapo itself unearthed.

Thus, it was ordinary Germans by their willingness to denounce one another who supplied the Gestapo with the information that determined whom the Gestapo arrested. The popular picture of the Gestapo with its spies everywhere terrorizing German society has been rejected by many historians as a myth invented after the war as a cover for German society's widespread complicity in allowing the Gestapo to work

Paul Fan
05-12-2012, 12:58 AM
I hadn't read that before. Thanks for re-posting. It is chilling seeing it happen again, and feeling helpless to stop it.

Anti Federalist
05-12-2012, 01:04 AM

Loud music, growing marijuana.. does it really matter?

Exactly.

Everybody is guilty of something.

In the page after page after page of the hundreds of thousands of pages of laws, rules, mandates, edicts, codes and regulations, rest assured, in there somewhere, is at least one you are breaking.

azxd
05-12-2012, 01:38 AM
OK

Vessol
05-12-2012, 01:42 AM
See Something. Say Something.

I've posted this before, but please, don't tl;dr, its really that important.

Was going to post this, but Anti-Fed beat me to it.

DamianTV
05-12-2012, 02:48 AM
Nope, no problem at all with the ever tightening noose of a police state. None at all. Hope the landscapers know the difference between these..

http://images.icanhascheezburger.com/completestore/2008/11/7/128705522772170757.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rCVc_kLfjMg&feature=youtu.be

MoneyWhereMyMouthIs2
05-12-2012, 05:47 AM
A measly maximum of $100? That's not even worth the bad karma one will receive for being a snitch.

Yeah, I was just thinking that 99% of landscapers don't want to be in anyone's business for measly a $100.

kcchiefs6465
05-12-2012, 10:31 AM
Yeah, I was just thinking that 99% of landscapers don't want to be in anyone's business for measly a $100.
I don't know of this 99% you speak of, but $100 to most landscapers, (unless you have your own company) is more than a day's pay. More than a day's pay and you don't have have to have to bust your ass to make it? Many people will leap at that chance, like the good little frogs they are.

Kluge
05-12-2012, 10:32 AM
I don't know of this 99% you speak of, but $100 to most landscapers, (unless you have your own company) is more than a day's pay. More than a day's pay and you don't have have to have to bust your ass to make it? Many people will leap at that chance, like the good little frogs they are.

I agree.

Hire illegals, they won't rat you out because they'll be ratting themselves out. Maybe.

John of Des Moines
05-12-2012, 11:20 AM
A couple years back on a different forum there was a thread about an electric company working with the cops to have their employees look for the same thing. One poster said when his electric company did the same thing somebody would shot out a transformer near where the cops had busted somebody based on electric company employee snitch program information. After a half dozen transformers the electric company ended the snitch program.

MoneyWhereMyMouthIs2
05-12-2012, 12:52 PM

Yeah, maybe I'm painting with a broad brush there. I don't know about illegals and such, but let's say I've known a bunch of white (and legal) landscapers (stop laughing) in my past. It's not just the $99, but also the other part of the equation. They know rolling over on people can have consequences, and in light of that, $99 is nothing. I know in general how black and redneck culture feel about that. $99 wouldn't do it unless it came with a paid witness protection plan.

Anti Federalist
05-12-2012, 12:58 PM

The program is funded by BSO's Law Enforcement Trust Fund, which is made up of funds seized during investigations. By Florida law, the trust fund must be spent on special programs or crime prevention and can't be used to defray normal operating costs for a police department.

So, we'll use seized assets to pay people to look for "crime" to seize more assets.

DerailingDaTrain
05-12-2012, 01:07 PM
Broward...isn't that the place drawing addicts from all over the country to get their prescription pill fix?