PDA

View Full Version : Know Your Target Market - Who Makes Up the GOP Voter Base

tbone717
05-11-2012, 12:49 PM
It is important as we are in the home stretch of the campaign,that the grassroots understands who is the typical GOP voter. As this race is now a two-man contest between Romney & Paul, Paul will need to garner ~51% of the vote in order to win the primaries. So it is imperative that the grassroots understands the demographic makeup of the average GOP voter and we also understand what issues are important to them. This knowledge will allow us to target our marketing efforts to the people that matter the most - those who will vote in the GOP primaries. While Paul does have the ability to bring new voters onboard (either with independents or first time voters) the campaign and the grassroots still will need to capture the lion's share of the GOP voter base in order to succeed. So to begin, here is some demographic information on the GOP voter base that some of you should find helpful.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Republican_Party_(United_States)#Voter_base

alucard13mmfmj
05-11-2012, 12:57 PM
Suddenly we are talking about voter demographics =P..

Constitutional Paulicy
05-11-2012, 01:01 PM
It is important as we are in the home stretch of the campaign,that the grassroots understands who is the typical GOP voter. As this race is now a two-man contest between Romney & Paul, Paul will need to garner ~51% of the vote in order to win the primaries. So it is imperative that the grassroots understands the demographic makeup of the average GOP voter and we also understand what issues are important to them. This knowledge will allow us to target our marketing efforts to the people that matter the most - those who will vote in the GOP primaries. While Paul does have the ability to bring new voters onboard (either with independents or first time voters) the campaign and the grassroots still will need to capture the lion's share of the GOP voter base in order to succeed. So to begin, here is some demographic information on the GOP voter base that some of you should find helpful.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Republi...es)#Voter_base

So all we have to do is lie? :)

05-11-2012, 01:04 PM
Message, message, message!

It's all about the message.

Frame issues in ways that people unfamiliar with liberty issues can understand them.

tbone717
05-11-2012, 01:10 PM
Message, message, message!

It's all about the message.

Frame issues in ways that people unfamiliar with liberty issues can understand them.

Very true. It is not an activists job to go out there and convince an 80 year old woman why prostitution should be legal. Just get her vote, based on the issues that concern her. Meet people where they are.

TheGrinch
05-11-2012, 01:13 PM
Your linky got ....ed and doesn't work.

The most important issue to GOP voters is to beat Obama... There is no other reason so many held their nose to vote for a flip-flopping moderate who offers no real solutions to the problems this country faces... Many of us have long been emphasizing the fact that Paul is the only one who appeals to independent swing voters, and also polls extremely well against Obama, sometimes better than Romney, despite not having nearly the coverage Romney has... In fact, the increasingly negative coverage that Romney is seeing currently might mean that his poll numbers are only set to drop, with no indication that he's doing anything to bring in new voters he will need.

Paul on the other hand, has no where to go but up in the general election if Republicans rally around him. They certainly aren't voting for Obama, and he pulls in enough voters that Romney simply doesn't appeal to, even plenty who would vote for Obama vs. a Romney ticket.

Other than that, the biggest obstacles are really just getting past the media mischaracterizations that "Paul is dangerous on foreign policy" and is "unelectable (see paragraph 1), because most Republican voters agree with him on economics (another point we need to continue to emphasize, is that his plan is the only one that can balance the budget and fix SS, rather than in 20-30 years like Paul Ryan's plan. It will likely be too little, too late by then).

Additionally, showing his appeal to social conservatives (he is a good Christian man who isn't going to legislate against their wishes), will also be helpful. Does that pretty much cover it?

sailingaway
05-11-2012, 01:14 PM
Of course we have to remember that Texas, for example is an open primary, and there are some very frustrated civil libertarians across the spectrum right now.

TrishW
05-11-2012, 01:23 PM
I went over to Romney chat. We were doing good. I was agreeing with them .. the media is wasting too much time on gay marriage ( a state issue) and not enough is said about things that really matter to people. I asked what they care most about. The answers.. ending war, cutting spending, the economy, following the constitution.

I was like wow! So I then asked if Romney was against undeclared wars, and the Patriot act, and is his proposed budget going to do much to end the deficit?

That's it... That's all I said, and they labeled me a Ron Paul supporter, and kicked me out.
With the comment that Ron Paul can't win!
So for me, that was an eye-opening experience. They are not the evil dragon waiting to be slain. They are just people with the same cares and worries. Their issues are our issues.

The Ron Paul can't win, that is being spoon fed daily by the media and the RNC, is what is keeping them from reaching out. That is the obstacle that I found.

tbone717
05-11-2012, 01:25 PM
Your linky got ....ed and doesn't work.

Fixed. Thanks

tbone717
05-11-2012, 01:26 PM
Of course we have to remember that Texas, for example is an open primary, and there are some very frustrated civil libertarians across the spectrum right now.

Do you have any percentages of Indy and Dem turnout for Texas from past primaries where there was no Dem primary race? That would be helpful.

sailingaway
05-11-2012, 01:36 PM
Do you have any percentages of Indy and Dem turnout for Texas from past primaries where there was no Dem primary race? That would be helpful.

Not unless Ron was running in a year the other side didn't get the independents.

They thought they had a standard bearer in 2008 and look how that turned out.

I absolutely am convinced that BUT FOR the media's 'it's over' meme, Ron would do amazingly well in Texas, maybe win. But I've always felt he needed something to give him momentum. Hopefully the delegate strategy will get more attention with more state convention wins, and the new PAC is saying they might be running an ad in Tex which would be a big help.

tbone717
05-11-2012, 01:41 PM
Not unless Ron was running in a year the other side didn't get the independents.

They thought they had a standard bearer in 2008 and look how that turned out.

I absolutely am convinced that BUT FOR the media's 'it's over' meme, Ron would do amazingly well in Texas, maybe win. But I've always felt he needed something to give him momentum. Hopefully the delegate strategy will get more attention with more state convention wins, and the new PAC is saying they might be running an ad in Tex which would be a big help.

Won't hurt for people to knock on some doors. I re-posted an old thread that lists a bunch of tips on how to do it. Retail politics still works. I see it here in every single election - the candidates that have people knocking on doors generally outperform those that do not.

Based on 2008 numbers, it is going to take about 681,000 votes to win. That's a lot of doors.

sailingaway
05-11-2012, 01:42 PM
I agree about knocking on doors.

tbone717
05-11-2012, 01:44 PM
Here you go

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?358782-Tips-for-Selling-the-Candidate

Looks like CA will need about 1.5 million to win. Better get some comfortable shoes.

sailingaway
05-11-2012, 01:57 PM
Here you go

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?358782-Tips-for-Selling-the-Candidate

Looks like CA will need about 1.5 million to win. Better get some comfortable shoes.

My shoes are prepared!