PDA

View Full Version : Romney Takes Swipe at Ron Paul’s Budget Blueprint

libertygrl
05-11-2012, 06:36 AM
On the one hand, going after Dr. Paul means that Romney sees him as a real threat. On the other hand, isn't it about time that the campaign starts going after Romney????

Romney Takes Swipe at Ron Paul’s Budget Blueprint
Written by Michael Tennant

For a man who seems to have the Republican presidential nomination sewn up, former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney’s decision to attack the policies of his only rival who has not dropped out of the race, Rep. Ron Paul (R-Texas), is curious indeed. Paul has proposed slashing $1 trillion from the federal deficit in his first year in office and balancing the budget in three years. He has argued that much of this deficit reduction could be achieved by ending America’s overseas military operations, closing foreign bases, and bringing the troops home.

Romney, however, will have none of it, reports the Washington Times.

“My job is to get America back on track to have a balanced budget,” he told attendees at a suburban Cleveland town hall event Monday. “Now I’m not going to cut $1 trillion in the first year,” he added — a clear jab at Paul’s plan.

“Why not, someone in the crowd apparently asked,” according to the Times.

“The reason,” Romney explained, “is taking a trillion dollars out of a $15 trillion economy would cause our economy to shrink [and] would put a lot of people out of work.”

This, of course, is pure Keynesian economics — the idea that the economy cannot grow without massive government spending. History proves otherwise: The economy stagnated while the government spent more and more during the Great Depression, but it took off when federal spending plummeted after World War II.

For all his vaunted business acumen, Romney has apparently forgotten that the government cannot spend $1 trillion without first taking it from the private sector. Therefore, if the government fails to spend that money, it is not being taken out of the economy; it is merely being left in the hands of its rightful owners. As a result, it gets put to use meeting people’s needs and improving their standard of living. When the government takes it, however, it is used to meet politicians’ desires for reelection by redistributing wealth and rewarding political cronies. One trillion dollars left in the private sector will do infinitely more good than that same cash will do when confiscated by government.

That Romney believes money is better spent by bureaucrats than by businessmen is evident from his own budget blueprint. Romney, says the Times, “has laid out a fiscal plan that aims to cap federal spending at 20 percent of GDP and bring the budget into balance by 2020,” taking four more years than Paul to balance the budget and leaving spending as a higher percentage of GDP (Paul has proposed limiting it to 15.5 percent).

Yet Romney’s plan, unlike Paul’s, is light on specifics; and by starting with very modest objectives, he is likely to achieve next to nothing once the necessary political compromises occur. Moreover, even if he were to get everything he claims to want, the national debt would still grow $2.6 trillion by 2021, according to U.S. Budget Watch. Paul, by contrast, would actually reduce the debt by $2 trillion, the organization calculates.

In addition, while Paul is unafraid to confront the military-industrial complex — “The one thing we have to come to realize is military spending is not equivalent to defense spending,” he said last October — Romney is a full-throated supporter of it. The Times notes that he “opposes cuts to military spending, which currently accounts for about 18 percent of federal outlays.” Romney, the paper continues, “drove the point home” at a Virginia campaign stop last week, where he said “he will add new ships to the U.S. Navy, add new aircraft to the Air Force and add 100,000 active duty personnel.” Thus, Romney not only has declared almost one-fifth of the federal budget off limits but also has proposed expanding it — hardly the mark of a serious budget cutter.

Why, one wonders, has Romney decided to distance himself from Paul’s budget proposals at this time? Is he trying to assure the electorate at large that, unlike his most conservative rival for the GOP nomination, he is a moderate who won’t threaten any of their favorite government programs? Or is he trying to send a message to the Paul camp, to wit: No matter how many convention delegates your man racks up — and Paul has been doing quite well for himself in this regard lately — his ideas will not be considered by either the Republican Party or a Romney administration?

Whatever the reason for Romney’s sudden urge to denounce Paul’s plan, it provides further evidence that the GOP is once again preparing to offer voters no real alternative to the Democratic candidate for President. It was, after all, Obama’s then-budget director, Jacob Lew, who declared in February that “the time for austerity is not today.”

Romney, it appears, is an echo, not a choice.

http://www.thenewamerican.com/usnews/politics/item/11312-romney-takes-swipe-at-ron-paul%1As-budget-blueprint

fisharmor
05-11-2012, 06:42 AM
“Now I’m not going to cut $1 trillion in the first year,” he added — a clear jab at Paul’s plan.

“Why not, someone in the crowd apparently asked,” according to the Times.

So, how come nobody has thought to organize plants showing up at his rallys?
If the grassroots put out an APB for RP supporters to show up at Romney's appearances, he'd get 4-5 times the turnout, and it would all be people asking uncomfortable and incredibly salient questions about his so-called conservativism.

CaptUSA
05-11-2012, 06:49 AM
An echo; not a choice!

Perfect slogan.

V3n
05-11-2012, 06:51 AM
“The reason,” Romney explained, “is taking a trillion dollars out of a $15 trillion economy would cause our economy to shrink [and] would put a lot of people out of work.”

Wow! So if we double debt. Say to $30 Trillion - then we'll grow our economy and twice as many people will have jobs!!!

Mr. Romney, question for you - I get 1% cash back on my credit card - how much do I have to spend on it before I start making money?

walt
05-11-2012, 07:24 AM
That article is a good read.

For the campaign to attack Romney, the more I think about it, Ron Paul himself would have to authorize it. I agree the time is right.

wgadget
05-11-2012, 07:28 AM
YAY! Mr. Romney's TOP FIVE CONTRIBUTORS are now falling victim to the DERIVATIVES CRISIS. I'm sure he'll "solve" it for them.

UGH! It's time for this fraud to GET OUT OF RON PAUL'S WAY.

TrishW
05-11-2012, 01:06 PM
Would he like to debate that with Paul?

areamike
05-11-2012, 01:33 PM
Wow! So if we double debt. Say to $30 Trillion - then we'll grow our economy and twice as many people will have jobs!!!

Mr. Romney, question for you - I get 1% cash back on my credit card - how much do I have to spend on it before I start making money?

Oh, I know, I know. 15 trillion dollars!

areamike
05-11-2012, 01:34 PM
Would he like to debate that with Paul?

That's just it. The RNC, the GOP and Romney KNOW that if this comes down to a debate between Paul and Romney, Ron Paul will MOP THE CONVENTION FLOOR with Romney! No doubt about that. He's done so at every single debate so far.

Highstreet
05-11-2012, 01:39 PM
If the grassroots put out an APB for RP supporters to show up at Romney's appearances, he'd get 4-5 times the turnout, and it would all be people asking uncomfortable and incredibly salient questions about his so-called conservativism.

We do show up at his rallies, but we are usually waving signs and handing out literature.

Asking questions from the small audience would be KEY to getting Romney to confront Paul as a contender!!

pawlpawl
05-11-2012, 01:42 PM
Dear Mr.Romney,

You have been smart enough to watch your tongue regarding Dr.Paul for monthes, don't fall to the same fate poor Rick Perry met. Smile for the cameeras, stick to what the script in front of you reads, and Keep Dr.Paul's pure name out of your tainted mouth.

Signed,

A Ron Paul supporter whom is one of many that control your immediate political future.

No1butPaul
05-11-2012, 02:18 PM
I said this in another thread, but worth repeating...Romney doesn't know how to use scissors when it counts! I wish someone would write an article with that heading. All bullies are cowards and he's no exception.

No1butPaul
05-11-2012, 02:20 PM

Love it!

sailingaway
05-11-2012, 02:24 PM
this rebuttal thread goes with that:

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?376102-quot-Why-Mitt-Romney-Sucks-quot

GDP includes government spending so they are able to pretend to this circular argument by using GDP as a 'measure' or 'cap' of debt.

whippoorwill
05-11-2012, 02:24 PM
The man doesn't know economics.

ZENemy
05-11-2012, 02:31 PM
We do show up at his rallies, but we are usually waving signs and handing out literature.

Asking questions from the small audience would be KEY to getting Romney to confront Paul as a contender!!

Yup, Adam Kokesh confronted mitt in person and was ignored, not only that but Mitt snuck out the damn back door to avoid Adams questions about the constitution. I think Luke from We Are Change also confronted him and was asked to leave by SS.

Tod
05-11-2012, 02:38 PM

I like it!

opinionatedfool
05-11-2012, 02:38 PM
When will they learn that taking swipes are Ron Paul will not win over Ron Paul supporters.

Eisenhower
05-11-2012, 02:57 PM
It's a fact that Romney is just another establishment and global bank puppet that will be just as bad as Obama.

Gimme Some Truth
05-11-2012, 03:01 PM
Something tells me that this is something that he will not "flip-flop" on!

WesSeid
05-11-2012, 08:24 PM
GDP includes government spending so they are able to pretend to this circular argument by using GDP as a 'measure' or 'cap' of debt.

Correct. GDP is a crap stat. Look up how they use hedonics and stuff with it.

The last part of the wiki on GDP sums up GDP rather well:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gross_domestic_product

Austrian School economist Frank Shostak has argued that GDP is an empty abstraction devoid of any link to the real world, and, therefore, has little or no value in economic analysis. In his own words:[31]

The GDP framework cannot tell us whether final goods and services that were produced during a particular period of time are a reflection of real wealth expansion, or a reflection of capital consumption.

For instance, if a government embarks on the building of a pyramid, which adds absolutely nothing to the well-being of individuals, the GDP framework will regard this as economic growth. In reality, however, the building of the pyramid will divert real funding from wealth-generating activities, thereby stifling the production of wealth.

So what are we to make out of the periodical pronouncements that the economy, as depicted by real GDP, grew by a particular percentage? All we can say is that this percentage has nothing to do with real economic growth and that it most likely mirrors the pace of monetary pumping.

We can thus conclude that the GDP framework is an empty abstraction devoid of any link to the real world. Notwithstanding this, the GDP framework is in big demand by governments and central bank officials since it provides justification for their interference with businesses. It also provides an illusory frame of reference to assess the performance of government officials.

Many environmentalists argue that GDP is a poor measure of social progress because it does not take into account harm to the environment.

Here's another nice article on GDP:
http://moneymorning.com/2011/08/23/gdp-lie-time-for-new-measure-of-economic-growth/
"But the Keynesians employed some chicanery, or sleight-of-hand, to generate this statistic. A close look reveals the dirty little secret about GDP: It intentionally overplays the importance of government spending - and in doing so inflates the role that Washington plays in each of our lives.

And it's been doing this for 77 years ..."

WesSeid
05-11-2012, 08:27 PM
On the other hand, isn't it about time that the campaign starts going after Romney????

Yes. Let me know when that happens. zzzzzz

I know the campaign doesn't have the money for huge TV ads to do it, but Paul doesn't even trash Romney on the issues even during interviews. If there's supposed to be some brilliant strategy going on by not attacking Romney, I'd like to hear what it is.

dude58677
05-11-2012, 08:31 PM
Yes. Let me know when that happens. zzzzzz

I know the campaign doesn't have the money for huge TV ads to do it, but Paul doesn't even trash Romney on the issues even during interviews. If there's supposed to be some brilliant strategy going on by not attacking Romney, I'd like to hear what it is.

I could be wrong but maybe it is a way to avoid blowback from this delegate strategy. If Romney gets angry at Paul enough, him and his supporters would be motivated for an all out battle at the conventions. Ron Paul wants to slowly and quietly collect delegates while Romney focuses on Obama.

J_White
05-11-2012, 08:46 PM
The part in BOLD is my question too ! when ?

On the one hand, going after Dr. Paul means that Romney sees him as a real threat. On the other hand, isn't it about time that the campaign starts going after Romney????

Romney, it appears, is an echo, not a choice.

http://www.thenewamerican.com/usnews/politics/item/11312-romney-takes-swipe-at-ron-paul%1As-budget-blueprint