PDA

View Full Version : PA - Cop shoots family dog while riding his bike.

Anti Federalist
05-10-2012, 10:08 PM
Really, folks, I am doing nothing different, the news items and sources and searches I use are the same as they always have been.

Lots of stories broke over the past 24 hours.

You should see what I'm not posting.

Harrisonburg Police Officer Accused of Killing Family Dog

http://www.whsv.com/news/headlines/Harrisonburg_Police_Officer_Accused_of_Killing_Fam ily_Dog_150885025.html?ref=025

The Rockingham County Sheriff's Office says a Harrisonburg Police Officer shot a family dog a few weeks ago in Clover Hill.

Sheriff Bryan Hutcheson says Sgt. Russell Metcalf with the Harrisonburg Police Department admits to shooting the dog while riding his bike.

Now, the dog's family says they want justice for their dog's death.

"Whether it was a police officer or not, it should not have happened," said Becky Bonds, the dog owner's daughter.

Bonds' parents' dog Sadie was shot to death right outside their home.

Neighbors are shocked to hear that a Harrisonburg Police Officer is accused of pulling the trigger.

"Being a police officer, if he would just shoot an animal for no reason, you have to wonder you know, what else would they do?" said Tammy Evans, a neighbor.

Bonds says she would bring her dog Cooper to play with Sadie all the time.

"He's very timid around other dogs and she really was one of the only other dogs that he would play with, just rough and tumble having fun out in the yard, having fun together," said Bonds.

She says Sadie was not intimidating at all.

"She wasn't very big, she was maybe 20 pounds," said Bonds. "She was on the smaller side of the border collie lab mix and she was just really sweet, loved to have her belly rubbed, sometimes would get so excited to see people that she'd have little accidents on the carpet."

Bonds and her parents posted flyers all over the community, asking for help to find the man who killed their dog.

Now that they know who the Sheriff says he is, Bonds says this man should be held accountable for his actions.

"She was not mean in any way and didn't deserve this, so we hope justice is served in some way so that you know something like this doesn't happen again," said Bonds.

Bonds says a family with a one-year-old girl lives right next to where their dog was shot. She says no one should be using a gun in that neighborhood.

No charges have been filed yet. The Rockingham County Sheriff's Office is investigating the case.

satchelmcqueen
05-10-2012, 11:31 PM
"No charges have been filed yet."

and they never will be.

azxd
05-11-2012, 12:45 AM
And I thought the dog was riding a bike.

presence
05-11-2012, 07:23 AM
I've almost curious as to whether this puppycide bonanza is not some type of "agent provocateur" false flag event. Truly... was it like this 5 years ago? It seems like 2012 is the year of puppycide.

azxd
05-11-2012, 07:37 AM
I've almost curious as to whether this puppycide bonanza is not some type of "agent provocateur" false flag event. Truly... was it like this 5 years ago? It seems like 2012 is the year of puppycide.Naw, it's just a way to dominate this forum section :p

tod evans
05-11-2012, 07:40 AM
Dogs have been chasing wheels for centuries.

Why is it okay for cops to kill `em now?

Yieu
05-11-2012, 07:42 AM
Naw, it's just a way to dominate this forum section :p

They were not referring to the fact that the stories were posted on this forum.

They were referring to the fact that the stories are actually happening, and it seems it was not long ago that these type of events did not happen as often as they do now.

The Northbreather
05-11-2012, 10:48 AM
You should start a police puppycide site AF. This angle is highly effective, even more than police homicide for some reason. Sadly I guess that we're used to them killing people.

The Northbreather
05-11-2012, 10:56 AM
Dogs are a great judge of character in my experience which is probably why the cops have been taking them out. They can pick out a bad guy, they've been bred throughout human civilization to do so.

Anti Federalist
05-11-2012, 10:58 AM

They were referring to the fact that the stories are actually happening, and it seems it was not long ago that these type of events did not happen as often as they do now.

Exactly.

Anti Federalist
05-11-2012, 11:02 AM
You should start a police puppycide site AF. This angle is highly effective, even more than police homicide for some reason. Sadly I guess that we're used to them killing people.

A RPF member already started one, prompted by my posting of puppycide.

And it is sad, that when cop blows away a Mundane the response is "Meh. Scumbag probably deserved it".

Until they, suddenly, are the scumbag.

But, let them kill a dog, and all hell gets raised.

Which is, of course, my point.

ETA - RPF member daviddee IIRC correctly started that site.

http://www.dogmurderers.com/

Acala
05-11-2012, 11:04 AM
Hard to tell what happened from the article. Dogs have been known to attack bike riders. Pretty common, actually. My cyclist friend has to hit them with pepper spray sometimes. My entire view of the matter changes when the dog leaves the owner's property.

Captain Shays
05-11-2012, 11:07 AM
pisses me off

The Northbreather
05-11-2012, 01:58 PM
Hard to tell what happened from the article. Dogs have been known to attack bike riders. Pretty common, actually. My cyclist friend has to hit them with pepper spray sometimes. My entire view of the matter changes when the dog leaves the owner's property.

Yes but did the cop have to shoot the border collie/lab mix or could he have used his pepper spray, baton, taser, foot what have you. Seem like some of these thugs are quite eager to squeeze the trigger and hurt something canines included.

Deadly force for a dog chasing a bike with a uniformed rider. Come on I've been charged by many dogs in my day and never had the need to blast one, although I have swung things at them. Guess the cop thought the perp(pup) was putting his life in jeopardy. Coward.

Acala
05-11-2012, 02:18 PM
Yes but did the cop have to shoot the border collie/lab mix or could he have used his pepper spray, baton, taser, foot what have you. Seem like some of these thugs are quite eager to squeeze the trigger and hurt something canines included..

I agree 100%.

Deadly force for a dog chasing a bike with a uniformed rider. Come on I've been charged by many dogs in my day and never had the need to blast one, although I have swung things at them. Guess the cop thought the perp(pup) was putting his life in jeopardy. Coward.

This is where I reverse directions. If somebody allows their dog to run free and harass cyclists and the dog gets shot, it is the OWNER'S fault.

Cyclists shooting dogs that harass them has a long tradition. As I mentioned on another thread, they used to even make small guns specifically for the purpose. Dogs are great when they stay on their owner's property. When they leave the owner's property, they are a constant source of mischief and mayhem. And, by the way, are trespassing when they enter property where they are not allowed.

As is typical, this article omits vast amounts of detail and I am speculating about what happened. But I am feeling contrary today and so wanted to try and draw a little line in the litter box.

Danke
05-11-2012, 02:22 PM
When they leave the owner's property, they are a constant source of mischief and mayhem.

You may need to move to another part of the country.

Do you guys have killer rabbits down there too?

HigherVision
05-11-2012, 02:54 PM
Cops can do whatever they want because they don't have to compete against any other police agencies. They don't even have to worry about getting reelected.

MelissaCato
05-11-2012, 03:06 PM

When I took the motorcycle safety course they specifically told us if we see a dog running for us DO NOT DO ANYTHING - keep hands on bars, don't accelerate or decrease speeds, don't swerve or change directions, absolutely NOTHING. They claim this is the safest way to avoid an accident. WTF Didn't this Cop take the safety course ? It is clear some of these police are trigger happy, either that or they just like to kill stuff.

ninepointfive
05-11-2012, 03:15 PM

setting up a free wordpress site is definitely the way to go! =)

ninepointfive
05-11-2012, 03:16 PM
A RPF member already started one, prompted by my posting of puppycide.

And it is sad, that when cop blows away a Mundane the response is "Meh. Scumbag probably deserved it".

Until they, suddenly, are the scumbag.

But, let them kill a dog, and all hell gets raised.

Which is, of course, my point.

ETA - RPF member daviddee IIRC correctly started that site.

http://www.dogmurderers.com/

The site is a little boring, and needs at least a new graphic image for the banner

azxd
05-11-2012, 03:57 PM
The site is a little boring, and needs at least a new graphic image for the banner
Suggestion = http://images.sodahead.com/polls/002133867/2330335086_4436394830_piss_on_police_14372526123_x large_xlarge_xlarge.gif
Even if I don't agree with the idea of stereotyping an entire segment of the population.

Acala
05-11-2012, 04:09 PM
You may need to move to another part of the country.

Do you guys have killer rabbits down there too?

You are, perhaps, unaware of the nationwide statistics for dogs mauling people and particularly for disfiguring children.

azxd
05-11-2012, 04:56 PM
You are, perhaps, unaware of the nationwide statistics for dogs mauling people and particularly for disfiguring children.Statistics mean nothing, when hate drives the individual.

LibForestPaul
05-11-2012, 05:01 PM

I know several cops. Many have or want to get out. The departments are being engineered entirely different, with different types of candidates with very different expectations. Most of these former cops hate the departments, and are not even wanted.

azxd
05-11-2012, 07:19 PM
I know several cops. Many have or want to get out. The departments are being engineered entirely different, with different types of candidates with very different expectations. Most of these former cops hate the departments, and are not even wanted.That doesn't change the mentality of the masses.

MoneyWhereMyMouthIs2
05-12-2012, 06:22 AM
When I took the motorcycle safety course they specifically told us if we see a dog running for us DO NOT DO ANYTHING - keep hands on bars, don't accelerate or decrease speeds, don't swerve or change directions, absolutely NOTHING. They claim this is the safest way to avoid an accident. WTF Didn't this Cop take the safety course ? It is clear some of these police are trigger happy, either that or they just like to kill stuff.

I think that has more to do with you maintaining control of your motorcycle than anything else. Their point is that the dog is probably not that harmful to you, and it is your own lack of vehicle control that poses the biggest danger to you. Ya know, don't miss a squirrel to hit a tree.

I think they are talking bicycle here, which is different. I wonder if the policeman filed a report after discharging his weapon.

MikeStanart
05-12-2012, 07:49 AM
http://www.lifeinthefastlane.ca/wp-content/uploads/2008/01/body_armor_dog_1.jpg

Acala
05-17-2012, 11:57 AM
Statistics mean nothing, when hate drives the individual.

Nonetheless, here is a statistic for you:

Last year the insurance industry in the USA paid out approximately $497 million for dog bite injuries. I submit that qualifies as mayhem.

Zippyjuan
05-17-2012, 12:00 PM
Wow! The dog was riding a bike?

The Northbreather
05-17-2012, 12:02 PM
These were all bites occurring outside of the owners property?

phill4paul
05-17-2012, 12:02 PM
Wow! The dog was riding a bike?

http://gifs.gifbin.com/082009/1251663059_dalmatian-riding-bike.gif

Domalais
05-17-2012, 12:13 PM

The interior of the person being bitten is, indeed, outside the owner's property.

Acala
05-17-2012, 12:42 PM

No idea. The point is that dogs bite a shitload of people on a regular basis and people are not only well-justified but well-advised to be very wary of uncontrolled dogs unknown to them. And dog owners should control their dogs.

The Northbreather
05-18-2012, 01:51 AM
No idea. The point is that dogs bite a shitload of people on a regular basis and people are not only well-justified but well-advised to be very wary of uncontrolled dogs unknown to them. And dog owners should control their dogs.

You would think that during this assault on the second amendment that people would understand the need for reliable and effective defense of their personal property.

If a dog runs outside of his owners property and bites you, the owner is liable and should compensate. Pay attention to the posted signs, BEWARE OF DOG

This is a far cry from a dog who is performing a function bred into his instinct for tens of thousands of years. A dog defending his owners territory is perfectly normal. I am grateful of my dogs ability to deter crime at my home, as I see it they're earning their keep (aside from being adorable).

http://i1066.photobucket.com/albums/u416/jackwhite7878/IMG_2652.jpg

noneedtoaggress
05-18-2012, 02:22 AM
Suggestion = http://images.sodahead.com/polls/002133867/2330335086_4436394830_piss_on_police_14372526123_x large_xlarge_xlarge.gif
Even if I don't agree with the idea of stereotyping an entire segment of the population.

If you "don't agree with it" then why would you choose to do exactly that by posting a picture of calvin peeing on the word "police", inferring that those who are critical of the systemic problems produced by our current law enforcement institutions are merely mischievous brats?

Acala
05-18-2012, 09:07 AM
You would think that during this assault on the second amendment that people would understand the need for reliable and effective defense of their personal property.

If a dog runs outside of his owners property and bites you, the owner is liable and should compensate. Pay attention to the posted signs, BEWARE OF DOG

This is a far cry from a dog who is performing a function bred into his instinct for tens of thousands of years. A dog defending his owners territory is perfectly normal. I am grateful of my dogs ability to deter crime at my home, as I see it they're earning their keep (aside from being adorable).

http://i1066.photobucket.com/albums/u416/jackwhite7878/IMG_2652.jpg

I agree with the line you are drawing. You have an absolute right to have a dog, or any other dangerous animal or instrument, on your own property. If someone enters your property and shoots your dog, they've got some splainin to do.

heavenlyboy34
05-18-2012, 10:38 AM
I've said it before, but this excessive use of force against animals (especially the incidents in which the animals aren't doing anything remotely threatening) is a sign of a very serious psychological problem. We know that children who abuse animals are very likely to abuse people later on. This also applies to adults, though the correlation is not quite as strong (as I've read). Cops who do this should absolutely undergo a serious psych exam.

Exiled_LFOD
05-18-2012, 11:08 AM
"Being a police officer, if he would just shoot an animal for no reason, you have to wonder you know, what else would they do?" said Tammy Evans, a neighbor.

Nice potential poster material with some clever symbology...

If you would shoot this:
http://data.whicdn.com/images/18057416/cute,puppies,baby,beautiful,dog,innocent-c47f30e1d63cc913cefb8204bd961193_h_large.jpg

Would you think twice about shooting this...
http://angermanagementworkshop.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/Angry_Man.jpg

The Northbreather
05-18-2012, 12:01 PM
I agree with the line you are drawing. You have an absolute right to have a dog, or any other dangerous animal or instrument, on your own property. If someone enters your property and shoots your dog, they've got some splainin to do.

Exactly. It is the owners responsibility to socialize their animals to be subordinate to a person unless they judge that person a threat. Not socializing your dog with humans and other animals is quite foolish and will very likely land you in court.

Anti Federalist
05-21-2012, 12:08 AM
"No charges have been filed yet."

and they never will be.

Normally I would agree with you.

In this case, surprise, surprise, surprise, we'd both be wrong:

HPD Officer Charged for Shooting, Killing Dog

http://www.whsv.com/home/headlines/HPD_Officer_Charged_for_Shooting_Killing_Dog_15204 1375.html

18 May 2012

The Harrisonburg police officer that admitted to shooting and killing a 10 month-old dog is facing charges.

Sgt. Russell Metcalf is charged with one count of animal cruelty and one count of reckless handling of a firearm.

Rockingham County Sheriff Bryan Hutcheson says Metcalf was riding his bike in the Clover Hill neighborhood when he shot and killed the dog.

The dog's owner says she was not an aggressive or intimidating dog.

Metcalf was released on a summons.

According to the Harrisonburg Police Department, he has been removed from active patrol assignment.

HPD is also conducting an internal investigation into the case.

Anti Federalist
08-23-2012, 08:46 PM
Harrisonburg Police Officer is Guilty of Animal Cruelty

http://www.whsv.com/news/headlines/Harrisonburg-Police-Officer-is-Guilty-of-Animal-Cruelty-167236225.html

Aug. 23 2012

HARRISONBURG, Va -- Sgt. Russell Metcalf is guilty of animal cruelty for shooting and killing a family's dog.

The incident happened earlier in the spring in the Clover Hill neighborhood in early April. Metcalf did admit to shooting the dog almost a month later, in May, when Sheriff's Deputies from Rockingham County questioned him.

Metcalf was riding a bike when, he said in court on Thursday, the dog barked at and followed him. He said he was afraid of the dog biting him and that he tried to get his pepper spray out of his pocket. Metcalf said because he had trouble getting pepper spray, he shot the dog with his gun.

The dog's owner, Bryan Ware, said he was in his backyard when he heard the gunshot. Ware said he went to the front of the house to find his dog dead in the road. He also said his dog, Sadie, was friendly and would never hurt anyone.

Metcalf got a 60-day sentence in jail, but all of those days will be suspended. Metcalf is not allowed to work with animals while on probation.

Ware did say that he was satisfied with the outcome of the trial.

This is the second case of animal cruelty against a Harrisonburg Police Officer. Another officer was charged with animal cruelty after beating a cat to death with a nightstick. That case was later dropped.

Origanalist
08-23-2012, 09:49 PM
Dogs are a great judge of character in my experience which is probably why the cops have been taking them out. They can pick out a bad guy, they've been bred throughout human civilization to do so.

Nothing makes a bad guy more nervous than the family dog.

Origanalist
08-23-2012, 09:52 PM
Harrisonburg Police Officer is Guilty of Animal Cruelty

http://www.whsv.com/news/headlines/Harrisonburg-Police-Officer-is-Guilty-of-Animal-Cruelty-167236225.html

Aug. 23 2012

HARRISONBURG, Va -- Sgt. Russell Metcalf is guilty of animal cruelty for shooting and killing a family's dog.

The incident happened earlier in the spring in the Clover Hill neighborhood in early April. Metcalf did admit to shooting the dog almost a month later, in May, when Sheriff's Deputies from Rockingham County questioned him.

Metcalf was riding a bike when, he said in court on Thursday, the dog barked at and followed him. He said he was afraid of the dog biting him and that he tried to get his pepper spray out of his pocket. Metcalf said because he had trouble getting pepper spray, he shot the dog with his gun.

The dog's owner, Bryan Ware, said he was in his backyard when he heard the gunshot. Ware said he went to the front of the house to find his dog dead in the road. He also said his dog, Sadie, was friendly and would never hurt anyone.

Metcalf got a 60-day sentence in jail, but all of those days will be suspended. Metcalf is not allowed to work with animals while on probation.

Ware did say that he was satisfied with the outcome of the trial.

This is the second case of animal cruelty against a Harrisonburg Police Officer. Another officer was charged with animal cruelty after beating a cat to death with a nightstick. That case was later dropped.

A fucking CAT? Was the coward threatened by a CAT? Are you joking?

That case was later dropped.
Of course.