PDA

View Full Version : Detroit paying $65,000 for 2004 Dodge Intrepid

cstarace
05-10-2012, 07:37 PM
http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/technology-blog/city-detroit-paid-65-000-2004-dodge-intrepid-173443388.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=feed

City of Detroit is paying $65,000 for a 2004 Dodge Intrepid that it doesn’t even own
By Mike Wehner, Tecca

For drivers who don't want to commit to a new car purchase, leasing has become a popular option. But for a police department in a city with a struggling economy, running up a $65,000 bill for what amounts to renting an nine-year-old car seems like a bit of an oversight. That's just what the Detroit Police Department has been doing since 2003 when it leased a 2004 model Dodge Intrepid at the lofty price of $608 per month. The problem? They've been paying that price ever since.

The original terms of the lease stated that the car would be returned in 2005, at which point the department could choose to buy it outright to take delivery of a newer model. That trade-in never happened, and so far the city has handed out a total of over $56,000 in monthly payments. But that's not all: Because the department has gone well over the original mileage agreement, they owe nearly $10,000 in additional fees, bringing their total bill to well over $65,000. That's $65,000 for a car that could be bought new in 2003 for less than $25,000.

But that's just one vehicle, and the city is currently paying for over a hundred leased cars currently in use, and all of them are operating on expired leases. The seemingly careless spending could total several millions of dollars in the end, and the city apparently has no plans to reverse the practice.

The ridiculous waste of taxpayer money was discovered by local news station WXYZ, after they obtained the sales records through a Freedom of Information Act request. The station spoke with the president of the Detroit Police Officers Association, Joseph Duncan, who seemed just as outraged at the mismanagement as the taxpayers will be, stating "This is malfeasance. It makes no sense to me."

------------------

This story piqued my interest at first simply because I own an Intrepid myself... but just another example of a bureaucratic wasteful government at its finest.

kcchiefs6465
05-10-2012, 07:44 PM
Posted a few days ago in off-topic. I agree though, "But that's just one vehicle, and the city is currently paying for over a hundred leased cars currently in use, and all of them are operating on expired leases." is about the most ridiculous bullshit I've ever heard. I wonder how many police departments operate this way. Probably most of them.

cstarace
05-10-2012, 08:03 PM
Oops, sorry, didn't expect it to be posted, neglected to do a proper search. :o

kcchiefs6465
05-10-2012, 08:11 PM
Oops, sorry, didn't expect it to be posted, neglected to do a proper search. :o
No worries, I was pretty surprised how few of people read it. I probably should have posted it here; a little more traffic.

oyarde
05-11-2012, 11:05 AM
I read it a few days ago , sent them a letter , told them I would sell my 04 F 150 to them for only 60 K :)

kcchiefs6465
05-11-2012, 12:34 PM
I read it a few days ago , sent them a letter , told them I would sell my 04 F 150 to them for only 60 K :)
"and the city apparently has no plans to reverse the practice."
You're in luck. Kind of makes me want to be a used car salesman in Detroit...:eek: Never thought I'd ever think something so batshit crazy.

PaulConventionWV
05-11-2012, 02:47 PM
When are those pesky police departments going to finally go broke so they have to chase us on foot? I look forward to the day when that happens.

VBRonPaulFan
05-11-2012, 04:54 PM
When are those pesky police departments going to finally go broke so they have to chase us on foot? I look forward to the day when that happens.

get real, they'll use bicycles.

"pull over" *ching* *ching*

ds21089
05-11-2012, 05:05 PM
get real, they'll use bicycles.

"pull over" *ching* *ching*

It's ok. We have this guy on our side.

http://shtfplan.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/david-vs-goliath-hq.jpg

kcchiefs6465
07-21-2013, 06:18 PM
bump.. for a recent story

But that's just one vehicle, and the city is currently paying for over a hundred leased cars currently in use, and all of them are operating on expired leases. The seemingly careless spending could total several millions of dollars in the end, and the city apparently has no plans to reverse the practice.

Henry Rogue
07-21-2013, 08:03 PM
http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/technology-blog/city-detroit-paid-65-000-2004-dodge-intrepid-173443388.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=feed

------------------

This story piqued my interest at first simply because I own an Intrepid myself... but just another example of a bureaucratic wasteful government at its finest.
Detroit needs a "Do not resuscitate" bracelet.

kcchiefs6465
07-21-2013, 08:05 PM
Detroit needs a "Do not resuscitate" bracelet.
But they're bankrupt.....

Who is going to storm troop houses and shoot children without a bailout?

They should scrap their APCs to pay pensions. Fuck em.

kcchiefs6465
07-21-2013, 08:09 PM
And I'm not trying to be careless when speaking of the problems Detroit has. Like most all major cities across the Midwest they have been bled dry.

Watch and wait. Nothing will change.

More poli-ticking and promises and people will eat that shit up.