PDA

View Full Version : MN GOP magnet to mobilize Santa voters to convention in hopes of defeating Paul delegates

sailingaway
05-10-2012, 10:40 AM
http://www.minnpost.com/politics-policy/2012/05/delegates-state-gop-convention-will-vote-marriage-definition

Delegates to state GOP convention will vote on marriage definition

can delegates vote that the state doesn't define marriage?

The resolution on marriage received a negative recommendation, “but we did decide to bring it forward,” Niska noted.

gee, I wonder why?

rich34
05-10-2012, 11:20 AM
Wow, sneaky little b*******! Marriage "definition" as if it's changing the law or something... Nonetheless I'm sure the mindless sheep will turn out in droves like they're doing the will of God.

But I thought only the delegates that were already elected are allowed to participate which would seem we would have the majority based on the districts that Ron's already won?

ClydeCoulter
05-10-2012, 11:22 AM
Bump

kathy88
05-10-2012, 11:25 AM
Wow, sneaky little b*******! Marriage "definition" as if it's changing the law or something... Nonetheless I'm sure the mindless sheep will turn out in droves like they're doing the will of God.

But I thought only the delegates that were already elected are allowed to participate which would seem we would have the majority based on the districts that Ron's already won?

My work takes me to courthouses, and there is a sign in our county clerk's office that reads, "The state of Pennsylvania only recognizes marriage as between one man and one woman and therefore marriage licenses will only be issued to one man and one woman." So it's been "defined" here for a long time.

S.Shorland
05-10-2012, 11:51 AM
A marriage licence.What a strange concept.

sailingaway
05-10-2012, 11:54 AM
My work takes me to courthouses, and there is a sign in our county clerk's office that reads, "The state of Pennsylvania only recognizes marriage as between one man and one woman and therefore marriage licenses will only be issued to one man and one woman." So it's been "defined" here for a long time.

I think he means they will only be voting on what the platform says, not what a law says.

sailingaway
05-10-2012, 11:56 AM

But part of our winning as decisively as we did may have had something to do with Santa people not showing up. They can show up this time, since they don't come FROM the CDs but were elected the same time the CD conventions were. We did well in the elections, but I don't know if we have run a calculation of whether our people will be more than all the other candidates put together had at state. And Santa people have no reason to cheer Romney, so would they put in the effort? For this, will they now? It is a different calculation.

From all I understand, we are still OK SO LONG AS OUR FOLKS TURN UP. But some who hated the CD ones might decide they aren't needed. Fortunately, Ron speaking makes that less likely.

PauliticsPolitics
05-10-2012, 11:57 AM
Yes, that is the bottom line.
I am straight person, and the last thing I want is the government to define, authorize, and/or restrict my agreements with others (whether monetary or coital).

EBounding
05-10-2012, 12:24 PM
I'm a Christian, and what bothers me more than "gay marriage" is the fact that The State is held higher than God when it comes to marriage. It's all about those tax breaks though.

belian78
05-10-2012, 12:31 PM
Right!? For what reason would two mentally competant people need to apply with the state to commit themselves to each other?

specsaregood
05-10-2012, 12:39 PM
Right!? For what reason would two mentally competant people need to apply with the state to commit themselves to each other?

Marriage licenses became common in the US starting in the south as a way for the state to PREVENT interracial marriage.

jbauer
05-10-2012, 12:43 PM
So they're going to debate on the floor what the definition of marriage should be within the MN republican party's platform. Who cares? Isn't this the whole point of getting delegates to the national convention so we can debate what being a republican actually is? This is of course assuming Ron isn't the nominee.

I think you guys are making a mountain out of a molehill. Isn’t the whole point of limited federal government mean that there would be more of a role from the states. I’m Christian and could care less about the definition of a marriage from a federal or state’s position. I think once you open the door on government judging mortality you end up opening up pandora’s box. Whats to say 10 years from now YOU aren’t in the majority and the government imposes its morality upon you

sailingaway
05-10-2012, 12:49 PM
So they're going to debate on the floor what the definition of marriage should be within the MN republican party's platform. Who cares? Isn't this the whole point of getting delegates to the national convention so we can debate what being a republican actually is? This is of course assuming Ron isn't the nominee.

I think you guys are making a mountain out of a molehill. Isn’t the whole point of limited federal government mean that there would be more of a role from the states. I’m Christian and could care less about the definition of a marriage from a federal or state’s position. I think once you open the door on government judging mortality you end up opening up pandora’s box. Whats to say 10 years from now YOU aren’t in the majority and the government imposes its morality upon you

THe point is that they are putting this on the agenda when even their own committee voted it should NOT be on the agenda, likely to get greater participation at the convention by the people for whom that is a driving issue, and who otherwise might not bother to show up now their candidate has dropped out.

kathy88
05-10-2012, 12:59 PM
I'm a Christian, and what bothers me more than "gay marriage" is the fact that The State is held higher than God when it comes to marriage. It's all about those tax breaks though.

Marriage hurt me tax wise, didn't help me.

enjerth
05-10-2012, 01:14 PM
Marriage licenses became common in the US starting in the south as a way for the state to PREVENT interracial marriage.

To each their own, but by my strict definition of marriage, it's between one WHITE man and one ASIAN woman.

But I've got an open mind, and I'm willing to expand my definition to include another woman, with ethnicity yet to be determined. :D

Athan
05-10-2012, 01:33 PM
http://www.minnpost.com/politics-policy/2012/05/delegates-state-gop-convention-will-vote-marriage-definition

Delegates to state GOP convention will vote on marriage definition

can delegates vote that the state doesn't define marriage?

gee, I wonder why?
Its just a resolution to the party platform. Its a meaningless issue this year and only meant to get anti-Paul people to attend and be offended.
Don't stir the waters and get our people as delegates is the priority.

Ninja Homer
05-10-2012, 01:34 PM
Meh. It will probably have no effect at all.
To be a delegate to the state convention, you first had to be elected at the caucus to go to the BPOU convention, then show up to the BPOU convention and be elected to go to the CD & state conventions. As far as I can tell, most Santorum supporters didn't bother going to the BPOU conventions, and even then most of them weren't organized enough to make it any further. It's mostly Ron Paul supporters vs the establishment.
This is just a resolution to remove the definition of marriage from the MN Republican platform. Politicians just ignore their party platforms anyway. I don't think this will be that big of a deal.

LKMN
05-10-2012, 01:37 PM
Well if it helps, the resolutions are on Friday, and the rest of the national delegates aren't until Saturday...so if any show up just for that, they may only come that one day.

wgadget
05-10-2012, 01:41 PM
Wow, you have a chance to change the platform to a PRO-freedom one! Thanks, MN GOP!

sailingaway
05-10-2012, 02:05 PM
Meh. It will probably have no effect at all.
To be a delegate to the state convention, you first had to be elected at the caucus to go to the BPOU convention, then show up to the BPOU convention and be elected to go to the CD & state conventions. As far as I can tell, most Santorum supporters didn't bother going to the BPOU conventions, and even then most of them weren't organized enough to make it any further. It's mostly Ron Paul supporters vs the establishment.
This is just a resolution to remove the definition of marriage from the MN Republican platform. Politicians just ignore their party platforms anyway. I don't think this will be that big of a deal.

My point isn't the platform but that they are announcing it is coming up to excite Santa people to come. I hope you are right about BPOU elections because I know some posted here that they were alternates to the CDs but got seated because Santa people didn't show up. If they do show up to state it will alter our numbers, but I have no idea how big that margin is.

jbauer
05-10-2012, 04:17 PM
Means you married a sugar mama. Nothing wrong with that.

Marriage hurt me tax wise, didn't help me.

jbauer
05-10-2012, 04:19 PM
I think you're over thinking this. I wouldn't doubt some show up but its not like Romeny's record on it is clean. They're not going to overwhelm us. Gay mariage is a state issue and should be handled as such. Thats all the Paul people need to say.

My point isn't the platform but that they are announcing it is coming up to excite Santa people to come. I hope you are right about BPOU elections because I know some posted here that they were alternates to the CDs but got seated because Santa people didn't show up. If they do show up to state it will alter our numbers, but I have no idea how big that margin is.

VBRonPaulFan
05-10-2012, 04:25 PM
Means you married a sugar mama. Nothing wrong with that.

no, it doesn't. it's a pretty common misconception that filing jointly gives you some kind of benefit over filing Single/HoH/QW. it might've been so in the past, but it hasn't been that way since i've worked in the tax industry.

jbauer
05-10-2012, 05:25 PM
I'm unaware of a benifit, but I'm also unaware of a disadvantage to filling jointly unless the person you're joint with brings addtional income to the table and thus takes you into a higher bracket that you would have been in.

sailingaway
05-10-2012, 05:29 PM
I think you're over thinking this. I wouldn't doubt some show up but its not like Romeny's record on it is clean. They're not going to overwhelm us. Gay mariage is a state issue and should be handled as such. Thats all the Paul people need to say.

Romney has a bunch of other stuff going on there, and their big problem is getting the Santa folks to show up. This would tend to do that. As I said, gay marriage isn't the reason I raise it, pro or con, but I don't think it is the reason the party folks are trotting it out when their own committee said 'don't bother' and their job is to CUT the list of things they vote on, either.