PDA

View Full Version : Ron Paul delegates played the hand they were dealt by Maine GOP- and Won

ChrisDixon
05-10-2012, 09:24 AM
http://rightmaine.com/2012/05/ron-paul-delegates-played-the-hand-they-were-dealt/

On Super Tuesday I wrote about the Ron Paul campaign and their prediction that they will control delegations from a number of states by the time the national convention convenes in Tampa this summer. After participating in the Maine GOP Convention this weekend, I can say that this prophecy might just come true.

Was this weekend’s convention a fiasco? Certainly. But much of the blame lies not with Paul supporters as many have suggested (or even with Romney supporters or the party hacks). The problem is inherent to the design of the convention. The Maine GOP Convention suffers from identity crisis. It does not know if it is a party or a business meeting.

So, what is the purpose of the convention? Is it intended to be a pep-rally for the delegates to listen to GOP officials? Is it a chance to cheer the harsh critiques of Barack Obama, of the democrats who turned the Pine Tree State into a welfare state, of do-nothing Mike Michaud, and of the bankster Sussman and his partner in crime Chellie Pingree? Is it meant to be a showcase for our Congressional candidates to present their very different stories and philosophies to the party faithful in an attempt to build support and momentum as they head into their primary battles? Is it an opportunity for a number of very talented Senate candidates to argue why they deserve the shot to pick up Olympia’s torch and carry it back to D.C.?

-or-

Is the convention a forum to conduct vital party business? Is it the setting where Mainers interested in how their lives are governed get the opportunity to select the leaders of the party and the platform and rules that will govern it? Is it an opportunity to choose which of our neighbors will represent us within the GOP on county and state committees and at the national level?

For too long, the convention has been nothing but a pep-rally. A limited number of delegates (probably less than half of what is allotted) show up, clap politely at speeches, eat a decent meal or two, vote to rubber-stamp the new platform and a pre-selected list of delegates (all party elite) to send to the National Convention (just a bigger pep-rally for the political insiders of the GOP), and then go home.

A meltdown at the convention was bound to happen sooner or later.

more at link

I know Mr. Osmer a little bit. We've spoken and he signed the Tenth Amendment Center's 10-4 Pledge for his failed bid for State House in 2010. He's on our side and a strong liberty Republican.

sailingaway
05-10-2012, 10:25 AM
nice.

but people should really click the link to reward the author, so I am going to shorten the quote.

FSP-Rebel
05-10-2012, 10:31 AM
"Romney broke the law and... Paul won, Romney broke the law and... Paul won"