PDA

View Full Version : Iowa State GOP Needs Our Financial Support

05-09-2012, 11:15 PM
In the wake of Ron Paul supporters effectively taking over the Iowa GOP, donations have slowed significantly. (http://www.desmoinesregister.com/article/20120509/NEWS/120509021/1007/news05) Shall we perhaps take up some of the slack, and thank the current Iowa GOP for being open to Ron Paul and his supporters by giving them some money?

Don't forget that prominent Ron Paul supporter AJ Spiker has now become Chairman of the Iowa Republican Party. (http://blogs.desmoinesregister.com/dmr/index.php/2012/02/11/a-j-spiker-elected-chairman-of-the-republican-party-of-iowa/)

I think that if you are able, sending 20 or 30 bucks the way of the Iowa GOP would be a nice thing to do, given what has occurred and our strength there.

http://iowagop.org/caucus/donate.php

sailingaway
05-09-2012, 11:20 PM
So does Alaska where the prior chair obsconded with the funds (purportedly legally, by him) and in MN where the GOP we seem poised to take over is $1 mill in debt.

Romney's MO (and that of his backers) is to deprive of money then say how incompetent grass roots leadership is at fundraising. They did it successfully with that tea party chair (not ours, per se) in NH and they are doing it with us. The reason Iowa is down is in good part because the prior chair since ousted completely blew the caucus mis stated the results and turned everyone off. Now we are in, it is all our fault, of course.

I do think we have to do something, but I also think we shouldn't just let them spin it like this. I also think if we send money we should do it as a moneybomb, at a convenient time to do so and make it clear it came from us. But that is just my 2cents.

05-09-2012, 11:22 PM
So does Alaska where the prior chair obsconded with the funds (purportedly legally, by him) and in MN where the GOP we seem poised to take over is $1 mill in debt.

Romney's MO (and that of his backers) is to deprive of money then say how incompetent grass roots leadership is at fundraising. They did it successfully with that tea party chair (not ours, per se) in NH and they are doing it with us. The reason Iowa is down is in good part because the prior chair since ousted completely blew the caucus mis stated the results and turned everyone off. Now we are in, it is all our fault, of course.

I do think we have to do something, but I also think we shouldn't just let them spin it like this. I also think if we send money we should do it as a moneybomb, at a convenient time to do so and make it clear it came from us. But that is just my 2cents.

Not a bad idea.

Perhaps we could have a "Support Liberty in the GOP" kind of moneybomb where we encourage supporters to donate to all of the state GOP organizations where we have taken over or had tremendous influence and a good welcome.

Where the GOP is fair to us, and opens the door, we should open our wallets.

mport1
05-09-2012, 11:27 PM
If others want to give money to them go ahead, but my personal opinion is that there are a million better ways to use your money to advance the cause of liberty. I would never give a penny to any GOP organization.

If you have spare funds, why not donate them to the Ron Paul campaign, or some other libertarian organization?

mport1
05-09-2012, 11:27 PM
Duplicate...

05-09-2012, 11:30 PM
If others want to give money to them go ahead, but my personal opinion is that there are a million better ways to use your money to advance the cause of liberty. I would never give a penny to any GOP organization.

If you have spare funds, why not donate them to the Ron Paul campaign, or some other libertarian organization?

It should not be the "first choice" as a donation for someone who hasn't donated, but if you've donated a lot to other liberty organizations and candidates, and to Ron Paul, then this should absolutely be on the table for discussion.

We have our greatest influence when we change the Republican Party from within, and I think that we are doing that in droves. We need to support that.

sailingaway
05-09-2012, 11:32 PM

I agree that right now Ron needs money and I would put this off for now, personally. But I think we do have to keep it on our radar. I honestly can't think of a 'libertarian organization' that speaks for me, and at least we have taken control of these particular state GOPs.

alucard13mmfmj
05-09-2012, 11:40 PM
if ron won the nomination.. state GOP will have donations again =P...

Bastiat's The Law
05-10-2012, 04:07 AM

That's a great idea. I just hope the money bomb is realistic in its goals. Start small like 10k and slowly build upon that success with future efforts.

parocks
05-10-2012, 04:34 AM
Not a bad idea.

Perhaps we could have a "Support Liberty in the GOP" kind of moneybomb where we encourage supporters to donate to all of the state GOP organizations where we have taken over or had tremendous influence and a good welcome.

Where the GOP is fair to us, and opens the door, we should open our wallets.

At some point Maine might need our support.

Bilgefisher
05-10-2012, 06:12 AM
meh, Once people realize the positive trend of the party, money will start flowing in.

lib3rtarian
05-10-2012, 06:59 AM
One of the 2 will happen:

1) The Paul backers who came to power in all the caucus state party machine will start to "compromise" on social issues and foreign policy to reach out to the larger GOP, once they realize the going gets tough.

OR

2) The Paul backers who came to power in all the caucus state party machine goes on an educational mission to teach their constituents, the merits of the liberty platform and get them converted.

I suspect #1 will happen.

djruden
05-10-2012, 08:54 AM
As an Iowan, I do not think the donations slowed because Paul supporters run the party now. Donations have slowed because the caucus is over and the excitement in Iowa politics is down.

Let's be real here. To go to a lot of these events with the various presidential candidates you had to make a sizable donation to the Iowa GOP. I know, because I did this many times.

Want to attend the Ronald Reagan dinner with 5 of the presidential candidates? DONATION
Want to attend one of the debates with all the candidates? DONATION
Do the candidates want to be a part of the famous Ames Straw poll? MAJOR DONATION

Donations are down because the big events in Iowa have come and gone, not because of who is leading the Iowa GOP.

jabowery
05-12-2012, 12:52 PM
Donations are down because the big events in Iowa have come and gone, not because of who is leading the Iowa GOP.

How does this compare with the prior presidential election cycle?

According to the Des Moines Register and corrupt Republicans, donations are down compared to the prior election cycle because real Republicans are driving corrupt money out.

Make no mistake: Karl Rove and company see making an "example" of real Republicans in Iowa as strategic.

RabbitMan
05-12-2012, 12:59 PM
I think what the OP was referring to was for AFTER the Presidential race. Assuming worst case scenario, we are left with Romney as the nominee, but with a basketful of State Republican Parties that are at least heavily influenced by Paul. What's wrong with having some Campaign 4 Liberty money-bombs every couple months where 70% of the proceeds go to a State GOP we like?

rich34
05-12-2012, 02:38 PM

That's how I would do it.

spacehabitats
05-18-2012, 05:44 PM
You guys really don't get it. This is not a local/state issue, this is a national issue with implications for our entire movement. And this isn't a matter of rewarding Iowans for taking over their party, its to save the reputation of the Ron Paul Republicans in every state.