PDA

View Full Version : Breaking: Obama Supports Same-Sex Marriage

1stAmendguy
05-09-2012, 01:30 PM
On TV.

Lishy
05-09-2012, 01:31 PM
Ron Paul needs to come out and do the same. Otherwise Obama might win...

James Madison
05-09-2012, 01:32 PM
It is reelection season after all.

Raiding medical marijuana clinics, assassinating US citizens, signing NDAA, keeping war with Iran on the table, but gosh darnit gay people getting married is my #1 issue so I'm voting for the progressive freedom-giving Barack.

rideurlightning
05-09-2012, 01:46 PM

Ron Paul doesn't support gay marriage though - he supports NO marriage. And there is no easy way to explain that, unfortunately, without the propagandists spinning it into something negative.

Romulus
05-09-2012, 01:47 PM
oh what a neat game of distraction that's played upon us.

Philosophy_of_Politics
05-09-2012, 01:48 PM
Yay for collectivist group pandering.

Wish in one hand, shit in the other.

brandon
05-09-2012, 01:50 PM
He supported it back pre 2007 as well, before he was against it for his 2008 campaign. I don't see what the big deal is. Why do people still get all worked up about a politician changing their rhetoric come election season?

Tyler_Durden
05-09-2012, 01:52 PM
What an obvious shill. He should be so proud of himself.

jbauer
05-09-2012, 01:53 PM
Why does it even matter? So what, support gay mariage. Don't support it. I don't care. I just don't want a homosexual couple making out infront of me. The same could be said about a hetorsexual couple. Government regulating morality is only a good thing when you're in the majority. When the tables turn and they use your playbook against you it really sucks.

James Madison
05-09-2012, 01:56 PM
All the stupid leftists on facebook on going gaga over this statement.

Geez, could the GOP be any dumber? Gay marriage amendment?! Who the hell cares when we're on the verge of WW3 and financial ruin!

Romulus
05-09-2012, 01:59 PM
Breaking: Obama is Anti-War.

HOLLYWOOD
05-09-2012, 02:00 PM
All the stupid leftists on facebook on going gaga over this statement.

Geez, could the GOP be any dumber? Gay marriage amendment?! Who the hell cares when we're on the verge of WW3 and financial ruin!90% of them are probably campaign Obamabots and trollers spamming the airwaves and wires.

Romulus
05-09-2012, 02:02 PM
90% of them are probably campaign Obamabots and trollers spamming the airwaves and wires.

Ha! Exactly..

Chieppa1
05-09-2012, 02:06 PM
My Facebook feed shows the idiocy of American politics.

jkr
05-09-2012, 02:11 PM
no
WAY

color me surprised...

TonySutton
05-09-2012, 02:12 PM
It surprises me that he actually came out and said this. I believe this will cost him a certain portion of the black and hispanic vote.

Maybe by coming out with it early he is hoping those religious minorities will forget or forgive.

Interesting

devil21
05-09-2012, 02:14 PM
no
WAY

color me surprised...

Actually, it's bizarre that Obama would come out and say this the day after NC just amended their state constitution to ban gay marriage. Yesterday he said his view was "evolving" but didn't come out in support of gay marriage. For Obama it's easy to be a "patriot" when there's nothing on the line. He's totally playing politician.

James Madison
05-09-2012, 02:15 PM
My Facebook feed shows the idiocy of American politics.

Yep.

I bet these morons wouldn't come out in support over the rights of polygamists. They still support discrimination, just not discrimination they disagree with.

Danke
05-09-2012, 02:23 PM
https://encrypted-tbn3.google.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSF5QqmJWohalvbnKTRINK0KnUGoWdkg S6__K7WMzlaISwiNgM3

https://encrypted-tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSLzea8mI9ZoxICw1sA7mcWWA4bhK6UA _NVcqIcnBUaCOdvXk9O

http://rasica.files.wordpress.com/2011/11/12452906271071.jpg?w=588

No Free Beer
05-09-2012, 02:25 PM
Rom said it best.

DISTRACTIONS!

Lishy
05-09-2012, 02:26 PM
Ron Paul doesn't support gay marriage though - he supports NO marriage. And there is no easy way to explain that, unfortunately, without the propagandists spinning it into something negative.

How about Paul rallies for "I will mind my own business who marries who!"

That way he could support Gay Marriage without condoning it.

Most people just presidential candidates by these 4 categories:
Abortion
Marijuana
Stem Cell research (Not anymore...)
and Gay Marriage.

Ron Paul is not appealing enough to the masses who only judge a candidate by those issues. Obviously we know where Paul stands, and he wishes to eliminate the federal government from the equation. Most agree with that.

Let's be realistic here. Paul needs every vote he can. If he doesn't show the slightest bit of support for those with interests of Gay Marriage, then he will not get their vote. Paul must be vocal that he will stand out of their way, and mind his own business.

Sam I am
05-09-2012, 02:30 PM
I think that when Ron Paul talks about his opinion on gay marriage, he should be very careful to ALWAYS talk about both same-sex marriage and different-sex marriage at the same time, and in the plural.

So instead of

"I don't think the government should be involved in same-sex marriage"

he should say

"I don't think the government should be involved in either same-sex marriage, or different-sex marriage"

If he always speaks about the issue in that way, It will be a lot harder for left propagandist's to twist.

LibertyEagle
05-09-2012, 02:31 PM

No way. He is trying to win the Republican nomination.

LibertyEagle
05-09-2012, 02:32 PM
I think that when Ron Paul talks about his opinion on gay marriage, he should be very careful to ALWAYS talk about both same-sex marriage and different-sex marriage at the same time, and in the plural.

So instead of

"I don't think the government should be involved in same-sex marriage"

he should say

"I don't think the government should be involved in either same-sex marriage, or different-sex marriage"

If he always speaks about the issue in that way, It will be a lot harder for left propagandist's to twist.

Actually, I think that is a good idea.

puppetmaster
05-09-2012, 02:35 PM
Why does government have ANYTHING to do with marriage? That's what RP position is....Why do you even need a license from the government to get married!

puppetmaster
05-09-2012, 02:37 PM
I think this is such an easy home run for Ron Paul. It is very easy to convey that the government should not be involved with any type of marriage.

bluesc
05-09-2012, 02:41 PM
It was a great political move. With all the outrage over NC, he just won a year's worth of loyalty from much of his base. He needed to hook them, and just did it.

bluesc
05-09-2012, 02:42 PM
For example, the current top comment on the reddit post about this (millions will see it):

Obama stepped out and supported gay marriage. Now we have to step out and support him. For every independent and conservative vote he just lost, we need to make up for it with an independent or progressive vote.

I am fucking serious as fuck right now. Please don't think this was easy for him. You're going to have to get out there and vote in November, or this doesn't mean shit.

Voluntary Man
05-09-2012, 03:55 PM

did Obama come out?

ZENemy
05-09-2012, 04:01 PM
If he loves and suports gay marrage so much then maybe he can write and EO legalizing it federally like he does evertything else? Oh, Im sorry, are EO's ONLY for destroying our rights?

Ranger29860
05-09-2012, 04:15 PM
What constitutional role does the president play when it comes to gay marriage? If he has no role in an issue then as far as I care he can just STFU.

Root
05-09-2012, 04:39 PM
Why did he wait until after the voting in NC to announce his support? You'd think if he really supported gay marriage he would have made the announcement before the vote to try to influence the results.

JorgeStevenson
05-09-2012, 04:43 PM
If he loves and suports gay marrage so much then maybe he can write and EO legalizing it federally like he does evertything else? Oh, Im sorry, are EO's ONLY for destroying our rights?

lol. Awesome.

cstarace
05-09-2012, 04:44 PM
I'm sure he's genuine. No way this could possibly be a campaign strategy to rally the progressive base... :rolleyes:

dillo
05-09-2012, 04:46 PM
15 trillion dollar federal debt
endless deficit spending
civil rights disappearing every day
the constitution becoming obsolete

gay marriage, who cares

Bruno
05-09-2012, 04:48 PM
It is reelection season after all.

Raiding medical marijuana clinics, assassinating US citizens, signing NDAA, keeping war with Iran on the table, but gosh darnit gay people getting married is my #1 issue so I'm voting for the progressive freedom-giving Barack.

+ rep. I added a few things and made that my facebook status.

ravedown
05-09-2012, 04:50 PM
I'm sure he's genuine. No way this could possibly be a campaign strategy to rally the progressive base... :rolleyes:

so far- from what ive seen on social media and msm-its been a pretty big success...dems are willing to ignore the inconsistency (1998-for/2008-against/2012-for). ive challenged a couple friends about this and their response has been-'well, he's finally on the correct side of the issue and thats huge and all that matters'. they can't wait till he wins re-election and dems take over the house and senate...then the new laws will be coming fast and plenty. happy times.

heavenlyboy34
05-09-2012, 04:51 PM
What constitutional role does the president play when it comes to gay marriage? If he has no role in an issue then as far as I care he can just STFU.
When has that ever stopped the regime? ;)

heavenlyboy34
05-09-2012, 04:52 PM
15 trillion dollar federal debt
endless deficit spending
civil rights disappearing every day
the constitution becoming obsolete

gay marriage, who cares
This^^ Why do so many people allow themselves to be distracted by stupid shit like this? Idiocracy at its finest. ;)

cstarace
05-09-2012, 04:59 PM
so far- from what ive seen on social media and msm-its been a pretty big success...dems are willing to ignore the inconsistency (1998-for/2008-against/2012-for). ive challenged a couple friends about this and their response has been-'well, he's finally on the correct side of the issue and thats huge and all that matters'. they can't wait till he wins re-election and dems take over the house and senate...then the new laws will be coming fast and plenty. happy times.
Of course. Dems/liberals are just as much sheep as are Repubs/neocons. If the rhetoric sounds good, they're willing to ignore facts.

AuH20
05-09-2012, 05:00 PM
Gay marriage ain't going to save us. Sorry sheep.

malkusm
05-09-2012, 05:05 PM
He supported it back pre 2007 as well, before he was against it for his 2008 campaign. I don't see what the big deal is. Why do people still get all worked up about a politician changing their rhetoric come election season?

Link? I'm looking but can't come up with this. It would be great to have a quote.

ravedown
05-09-2012, 05:06 PM
“I favor legalizing same-sex marriages, and would fight efforts to prohibit such marriages.”
obama 1996

"I’ve stated my opposition to this. I think it’s unnecessary," Obama told MTV. "I believe marriage is between a man and a woman. I am not in favor of gay marriage."
obama 2008

'Same-Sex Couples Should Be Able To Get Married'
obama 2012

what happened to consistency? or do we even expect any anymore?

malkusm
05-09-2012, 05:14 PM
""I’m a Christian. And so, although I try not to have my religious beliefs dominate or determine my political views on this issue, I do believe that tradition, and my religious beliefs say that marriage is something sanctified between a man and a woman." -Barack Obama, 2004

Source: http://www.nytimes.com/2008/11/01/us/politics/01marriage.html?pagewanted=1&_r=1

P3ter_Griffin
05-09-2012, 05:14 PM
This^^ Why do so many people allow themselves to be distracted by stupid shit like this? Idiocracy at its finest. ;)

Stupid shit? While it is yet to be seen whether this 100% politically motivated or if it is something Obama plans to take action on, I find your comment 1000x more stupid than supporting gay marriage. Its akin to saying that supporting a repeal of the Patriot Act is stupid because it wont effect you. The golden rule applies to more than just what we want it to apply to.

Brian4Liberty
05-09-2012, 05:25 PM
It's smelly! It's red! How can you resist!

(Apparently everyone on talk radio took the bait today.)

ravedown
05-09-2012, 05:41 PM
ive been explaining all day to 'friends' that basically the gay community ( special interest) really just wants favors from the government...thats basically it. they want to be recognized by the state so they can have favors the state either limited or took away, and then demands you ask permission to receive them. marriage (contractual/civil union) is already recognized by every court in every state...but it's federal support these groups demand, why? wouldn't it be easier to just leave the government out of it? sure...but then we'd be missing out on the special favors, right? anyone want to expand on this?

PierzStyx
05-09-2012, 05:43 PM

Ha. My liberal friends are saying this was a bad political move on Obama's part because most of the country is against gay marriage. Even if it riles up the liberal base, it loses him some of the southern states that went his way last time, like North Carolina for example.

Lishy
05-09-2012, 07:19 PM
did Obama come out?

This is about Obama vs Paul now.

Paul must get the "Pro-gay marriage" vote.

Voluntary Man
05-10-2012, 12:18 AM
This is about Obama vs Paul now.

Paul must get the "Pro-gay marriage" vote.

anyone who would vote for O'man over Ron, just because of some lip-service the prez paid to "gay marriage," after what that hypocrite did to Larry Sinclair, is not someone whose vote Dr Paul could rely on, anyway. Let Barry pander; that's what pimps do.

Bruno
05-10-2012, 12:27 AM
anyone who would vote for O'man over Ron, just because of some lip-service the prez paid to "gay marriage," after what that hypocrite did to Larry Sinclair, is not someone whose vote Dr Paul could rely on, anyway. Let Barry pander; that's what pimps do.

+ rep, good to see what he did to Larry is not forgotten/dismissed.

I have his book. That the media completely ignored it when it is so well-documented and full of detail is very telling.

PauliticsPolitics
05-10-2012, 12:29 AM
Breaking: Obama Supports Same-Sex Marriage
Breaking: Politician Panders During Election Season

Xhin
05-10-2012, 02:49 PM
Geez, could the GOP be any dumber? Gay marriage amendment?! Who the hell cares when we're on the verge of WW3 and financial ruin!

+rep

It's also funny that this will make pro-gay-marriage advocates want to vote for Obama since he's also been both against gay marriage and noncommittal while in office. As usual, the people who lie in order to get votes get coverage while the people who have had a consistent record for 30 years don't.