PDA

View Full Version : Congress To Amend NDAA To Give DoD & NSA Greater 'Cyberwar' Powers

sailingaway
05-09-2012, 12:05 PM
This is huge:

Remember the NDAA? Yeah, for a variety of reasons that bill got a lot of attention last year -- mostly focused on the question of detainment of terrorists. But there are some other nuggets in the bill, including one tidbit about "military activities in cyberspace." The existing version of the NDAA does grant the Defense Department the ability to conduct such military activities, but only "upon direction by the President" and if the purpose is to "defend our Nation, Allies and interests," subject to existing laws.

it works through the language of the bill here:

http://www.techdirt.com/articles/20120508/12553818834/congress-to-amend-ndaa-to-give-dod-nsa-greater-cyberwar-powers.shtml

kcchiefs6465
05-09-2012, 12:19 PM
‘‘(b) AUTHORITY DESCRIBED.—The authority referred to in subsection (a) includes the authority to carry out a clandestine operation in cyberspace—

‘‘(c) RULE OF CONSTRUCTION.—Nothing in this section shall be construed to limit the authority of the Secretary of Defense to conduct military activities in cyberspace.’"

Just what we need. :(

TheGrinch
05-09-2012, 12:23 PM
It's truly scary that they don't even try to hide these dangerous precedents anymore, almost as scary as the fact that they've pretty well conditioned us all to not be surprised at all when they do... Makes me sick to my stomach.

Lishy
05-09-2012, 12:26 PM
THE INTERNET DOESN'T EVEN WORK THAT WAY!

Want a better idea how to defend the DoD against cyberattacks? DON'T USE THE INTERNET! And don't even use Windows for something so damn precious as your DoD servers!

kcchiefs6465
05-10-2012, 02:36 AM
a much needed bump

anaconda
05-10-2012, 02:46 AM
Wow. We really are in a mammoth tug of war with a "government" that functions unto itself, utterly in opposition with the best interests of the People to whom it was meant to serve.

Ranger29860
05-10-2012, 03:04 AM

Want a better idea how to defend the DoD against cyberattacks? DON'T USE THE INTERNET! And don't even use Windows for something so damn precious as your DoD servers!
This is the part that has NEVER made sense to me. the DOD has its own in house networks that are suppose to not beconnected to web in anyway. There public sights or unclassified networks should not have ANY info on there that they would even worry about.

A Son of Liberty
05-10-2012, 04:06 AM
When was the last time Congress acted in a way which diminished the power of the government?

kcchiefs6465
05-10-2012, 10:48 AM
When was the last time Congress acted in a way which diminished the power of the government?
1776?

Brian4Liberty
05-10-2012, 12:48 PM

Except that you have the "concern" backwards. The language of this Bill allows the DoD to engage in it's own cyber-attacks. Pre-emptive strikes. Anything that can be done on a computer. They can create viruses, worms, spyware, etc.

NewRightLibertarian
05-10-2012, 01:05 PM
Wow. We really are in a mammoth tug of war with a "government" that functions unto itself, utterly in opposition with the best interests of the People to whom it was meant to serve.

They are a naked criminal gang

Lishy
05-10-2012, 01:07 PM
They can create viruses, worms, spyware, etc.
Scary... Not that they didn't already, but to do it legally? Scary... I wish Linux didn't have issues with Sound, or I'd use it all the time V_V

Captain Shays
05-10-2012, 01:27 PM
WTF? It's coming at us from all sides and every day.