PDA

View Full Version : WilliamC Hates Facebook Yet Has Created an Account

WilliamC
05-09-2012, 07:59 AM
Ok, I hate facebook as to me it represents the ultimate invasion of privacy. Yes it is irrational and I'll work on it but for now I hate facebook.

But I created an account to get in touch with Ron Paul folks in Mississippi and now I have a simple question.

Can I send messages to someone without making them my 'friend'?

I'm not interested in using facebook to be friends with with anyone, I just want to communicate with people to help Ron Paul get elected. After that I'll cancel my account.

I hate facebook.

ShaneEnochs
05-09-2012, 08:02 AM
Yes you can.

MoneyWhereMyMouthIs2
05-09-2012, 08:03 AM

Yes.

I have a FB acct and I do two things there. I upload baby pics, and rant about Ron Paul, and the emerging police state. I make my rants public. It's all being crunched anyway, even whatever you write here and unless you're doing severals thing to make it not get attached to you, it is and will be. I just decided that shutting up wasn't helping any.

Constitutional Paulicy
05-09-2012, 08:04 AM
Ok, I hate facebook as to me it represents the ultimate invasion of privacy. Yes it is irrational and I'll work on it but for now I hate facebook.

But I created an account to get in touch with Ron Paul folks in Mississippi and now I have a simple question.

I'm not interested in using facebook to be friends with with anyone, I just want to communicate with people to help Ron Paul get elected. After that I'll cancel my account.

I hate facebook.

Caution. If they are not Paul friendly they will report you as spam and your account will be closed.

WilliamC
05-09-2012, 08:06 AM
Yes you can.

How?

WilliamC
05-09-2012, 08:08 AM
Caution. If they are not Paul friendly they will report you as spam and your account will be closed.

I only plan to communicate with people I already know who are either friends or allies.

I just don't give a damn to create some friend network on facebook is all.

I hate facebook, yet do not want to shut them down, just not to be involved.

MoneyWhereMyMouthIs2
05-09-2012, 08:08 AM
Just go to their page and there should be a "send message" button on the upper right.

WilliamC
05-09-2012, 08:11 AM
Yes.

I have a FB acct and I do two things there. I upload baby pics, and rant about Ron Paul, and the emerging police state. I make my rants public. It's all being crunched anyway, even whatever you write here and unless you're doing severals thing to make it not get attached to you, it is and will be. I just decided that shutting up wasn't helping any.

Oh I know I am not anonymous and way back in the day on usenet posts I used my full name.

I just don't say things I wouldn't say in a newspaper editorial.

But facebook is just asking for the world to know my buisness by me volunteering to put it out there. I'm not interested that much in other people in the abstract, I will visit/phone/email but the hell with using facebook as a means of keeping in touch, I'm not that shallow.

I hate facebook, and yes I am working on it because there is a bit of irrationality here but still, facebook is like television in my mind, there is really no reason to turn it on.

WilliamC
05-09-2012, 08:14 AM
Just go to their page and there should be a "send message" button on the upper right.

Thank you, searching....

using ctl-F and searching for send the only send option I have is "send friend request"

I do not see a send message button.

I hate facebook.

Tyler_Durden
05-09-2012, 08:15 AM
I have most of my High School class on my facebook, old co-workers, old friends, and have added alot of Paul people the last six months. (My most coveted FB friend is Ron Paul's son, Dr. Robert Paul :)

Anyhow, don't be discouraged by the number of apathetic people who don't respond to your knowledge bombs, videos, articles, etc. I sometimes think "this article headline will wake people up" and excitedly post it. Then........crickets. It can be discouraging sometimes.

WilliamC
05-09-2012, 08:17 AM
I have most of my High School class on my facebook, old co-workers, old friends, and have added alot of Paul people the last six months. (My most coveted FB friend is Ron Paul's son, Dr. Robert Paul :)

Anyhow, don't be discouraged by the number of apathetic people who don't respond to your knowledge bombs, videos, articles, etc. I sometimes think "this article headline will wake people up" and excitedly post it. Then........crickets. It can be discouraging sometimes.

I don't want to keep in touch with people using facebook, that's the point.

If I do personal visits, phone calls, or email is the way I do.

If someone from my past is too damn lazy to use the above then I'm not that interested in talking to them.

I hate facebook.

MozoVote
05-09-2012, 08:19 AM
It's OK WilliamC, you're not alone. I have two "fake" accounts on FaceBook, just so that I can read links people send to me in -email. I am not "invested" in these for networking and willing to delete them at any time.

When you register, you have to be sure and deny FaceBook permission to automatically "look for friends". It will scour your mail client and spam them with invites.

Barrex
05-09-2012, 08:19 AM
Yes you can.

I smell Obama supporter ;)

What I did was: Went to Fox, Cnn and other MSM facebook pages and post news about money-bomb there.....some people join ;)

Tyler_Durden
05-09-2012, 08:20 AM
Make sure you play with the Privacy features. FB is all about Security Breaches. My newsfeed shows when my friends "Like" pages, pictures, what articles they are reading, etc. etc. FB really does suck.

MoneyWhereMyMouthIs2
05-09-2012, 08:21 AM
Thank you, searching....

using ctl-F and searching for send the only send option I have is "send friend request"

I do not see a send message button.

I hate facebook.

Maybe they turn it off for new sign ups until you reach X amount of time or X amount of friends. It is also a setting for you, where you can prevent non "friends" from sending you messages. So it won't be on every page or everyone's page.

VBRonPaulFan
05-09-2012, 08:24 AM
fyi, from what I hear it's basically impossible to 'cancel' a facebook account. when you try to cancel it, they basically just de-activate it but it never really goes away. they figure you'll come back at some point and your page will be sitting there waiting for you, exactly the way it was when you 'cancelled' it prior.

WilliamC
05-09-2012, 08:27 AM
added this to my 'profile' and nothing else.

I only use this account for Ron Paul related activities, after the end of the 2012 campaign I will be deleting it.

If you want to contact me use my email or phone if you have it, otherwise go away.

Constitutional Paulicy
05-09-2012, 08:29 AM
I have about 1,400 avid Ron Paul supporters as friends I try to provide content to their feeds everyday without exception. I'm here if you need daily updates on events.......

http://www.facebook.com/constitutional.paulicy?sk=wall

WilliamC
05-09-2012, 08:30 AM
I have about 1,400 avid Ron Paul supporters as friends I try to provide content to their feeds everyday without exception. I'm here if you need daily updates on events.......

Thank you.

Massachusetts
05-09-2012, 08:34 AM
I've thought about getting rid of my Facebook. I really should.

zHorns
05-09-2012, 08:39 AM

Post the Moneybomb information!

Facebook page (https://www.facebook.com/riseforliberty) / event page (https://www.facebook.com/events/296655957077018/).

WilliamC
05-09-2012, 08:42 AM
I've thought about getting rid of my Facebook. I really should.

Do it. Along with your television and video games.

These are like fluoride for your brain, they rot your attention span and ability to critically think and reason.

And yes I'm 48 and old and behind the times and my children will not think this way.

Such is life, we are born, we grow up, we live, we grow old, then we die.

I still hate facebook.

airborne373
05-09-2012, 09:07 AM
To WilliamC and others:

Run a psyop (influence, persuade, challenge) on darpa's facebook, use the oppositions infrastructure to your advantage. These are common jungle tactics, be like a jungle fighter.

WilliamC
05-09-2012, 09:39 AM
To WilliamC and others:

Run a psyop (influence, persuade, challenge) on darpa's facebook, use the oppositions infrastructure to your advantage. These are common jungle tactics, be like a jungle fighter.

Am interested in spamming the sh!teating data collection agencies if I can do so anonymously.

I'll tell ya'll why I hate facebook, I was just reminded right now.

I actually had made a facebook page back in 2007 for keeping in touch with Ron Paul folk. It's still there. It has crap on it from friends I made during the last campaign. Including 'friend requests' and such I never replied to (not because I don't like these people, but because I hate facebook and the information it generates).

Included was a request from a young lady whom I'd forgotten. Suffice it to say for me she is one of those people who quite literally almost make my heart stop, but she is much too young for me to consider so I can never even let my emotions surface.

We Fives on the enneagram, especially Five with Four Wings like me, are actually incredibly emotional people even though the vast majority of those we interact would never suspect it because we not only do not wear our emotions outwardly but we often have to actively suppress them to keep them from disrupting our rational minds, which we value above all else as Fives.

Sort of like Spock in Star Trek to use the most illuminating TV trope out there.

So anyway here I am trying to figure out this facebook crap and how to minimize my exposure to the whole pile when what do I see but this young ladies picture and the fact she has requested to 'friend' her.

I simply don't need that kind of distraction, and that's all facebook is is a giant distraction trap. I guess I consider my friends and allies as private things, not public things, and I don't want to share them for just anyone to see.

That's crazy talk.

And my heart did near stop again for a while as I was drawn into recollection of emotions past.

WilliamC
05-09-2012, 09:56 AM
Someone send me a facebook message so I'll know what it looks like.

Please.

ns1000
05-09-2012, 09:59 AM
There is a message button next to the friends button :)

WilliamC
05-09-2012, 10:05 AM
I am starting to see it now, at first it wasn't there.

No1butPaul
05-09-2012, 10:06 AM

... After that I'll cancel my account.

It is the ultimate invasion of privacy.

It is not irrational.

You can never delete your account, only deactivate it. After you deactivate your account, you can log in anytime and re-activate it and your information will still be there.

ronpaulfollower999
05-09-2012, 10:06 AM
Some people might have it set up where you can't message them unless you friend them.

ronpaulfollower999
05-09-2012, 10:07 AM
There is a way to permanently delete your account, but if you log in during a 14 day period it cancels the deletion.

https://www.facebook.com/help/delete_account

tfurrh
05-09-2012, 10:09 AM
friend request sent! ;)
(tfurrh does not have a facebook)

WilliamC
05-09-2012, 10:11 AM
There is a way to permanently delete your account, but if you log in during a 14 day period it cancels the deletion.

https://www.facebook.com/help/delete_account

Thanks, I will be using this.

Of course any information you generate will be saved, it's not going away.

But it won't be publicaly accessible anymore.

The main thing for me is I will only use facebook to meet people.

If you want to actually communicate though I'm sticking to email, phone or in person.

I hate facebook.

ns1000
05-09-2012, 10:15 AM
Make sure that you delete your cookies after logging out facebook, else they can follow everywhere there is a facebook widget, for instance the like button on top of every topic in RPF!

I personally use a different browser to use facebook. However facebook isn't the only one doing it, google is just as bad.

V3n
05-09-2012, 10:18 AM

I mostly get crickets, then I'll talk to someone IRL and I start to talk about something, and they say "Oh yeah, I read that article you posted." Just because they don't respond doesn't mean they aren't reading - so keep posting! I think maybe some folks just don't want to admit it online because of the circles they run in or something..

( $10 says WilliamC is addicted to Farmville in a week! Hey bro, could you send me a bushel of corn? :p )

WilliamC
05-09-2012, 11:31 AM
I mostly get crickets, then I'll talk to someone IRL and I start to talk about something, and they say "Oh yeah, I read that article you posted." Just because they don't respond doesn't mean they aren't reading - so keep posting! I think maybe some folks just don't want to admit it online because of the circles they run in or something..

( $10 says WilliamC is addicted to Farmville in a week! Hey bro, could you send me a bushel of corn? :p )

There you go again...

Next thing you know I'll get hit with Angry Birds or something.

RonPauledbyYoutube
05-10-2012, 09:05 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZGEQmFL9McU&feature=relmfu

wgadget
05-10-2012, 09:09 AM
So, WilliamC...How do you feel about Twitter? :D

Massachusetts
05-10-2012, 09:53 AM
I'm deleting my Facebook today. I'm gonna shove all my photos I've been tagged in or uploaded into a folder on my computer, and just leave it there, and delete the nonsensical Facebook. If somebody is my friend and wants to contact me, they'll know how.

specsaregood
06-02-2012, 09:01 AM

I hate facebook.

Even on his last day on earth he was trying to help the campaign. William was a good one.

LibertyEagle
06-02-2012, 09:11 AM
:(

Rest in peace, William.

Carlybee
06-02-2012, 09:25 AM
yep...we all say that in the beginning...FB is the borg

ryanmkeisling
06-02-2012, 09:30 AM

Rest in peace, William.This. It sucks that William C is gone. He will be missed...

Kluge
06-02-2012, 09:36 AM

Rest in peace, William.

Oh no...he died? Is there an obit somewhere? :(

NM. I found it.

http://obits.al.com/obituaries/mobile/obituary.aspx?n=william-clifton-colley-clif&pid=157639687

William Clifton "Clif" Colley Ph.D. | Visit Guest Book

COLLEY William Clifton "Clif" Colley, Ph.D., 48, of Senatobia, MS, died on Wednesday, May 9, 2012. A former research scientist at St. Jude Children's Research Hospital , he earned his Ph.D. in genetics. He was a lifelong learner, an avid reader and a lover of math. Dr. Colley is survived by his wife, Carol Cleveland of Senatobia, MS; one daughter, Megan Colley; two sons, William Christopher "Chris" Colley and Robert Lee Colley, all of Senatobia, MS; his father, William J. "Bill" Colley of Mobile, AL, and one brother, Stephen Colley of Westport, CT. Family will be receiving friends on Monday, May 14, 2012, from 5-6:30 p.m. at Ray-Nowell Funeral Home in Senatobia. In lieu of flowers, the family has requested memorial contributions to be made to St. Jude Children's Research Hospital , 262 Danny Thomas Place, Memphis, TN 38105 or Senatobia Public Library, 222 Ward St., Senatobia, MS 38668. Ray-Nowell Funeral Home-Senatobia Chapel has charge of arrangements.

Published in the Press-Register from May 14 to May 15, 2012

TruckinMike
06-02-2012, 12:07 PM
I'm deleting my Facebook today. I'm gonna shove all my photos I've been tagged in or uploaded into a folder on my computer, and just leave it there, and delete the nonsensical Facebook. If somebody is my friend and wants to contact me, they'll know how. Hallelujah -- Another soul saved today!!

MoneyWhereMyMouthIs2
06-02-2012, 01:00 PM
Sorry to hear. RIP WilliamC.

palm
06-02-2012, 03:35 PM
fyi, from what I hear it's basically impossible to 'cancel' a facebook account. when you try to cancel it, they basically just de-activate it but it never really goes away. they figure you'll come back at some point and your page will be sitting there waiting for you, exactly the way it was when you 'cancelled' it prior.

Not quite

http://www.facebook.com/help/?faq=224562897555674

It just takes 14 days

seraphson
06-02-2012, 04:44 PM
Facebook? Is that, that thing where you log on, send a vain happy birthday message when told to and scroll down for hours looking at stupid youtube videos and collegehumor pictures?

ronpaulfollower999
06-13-2012, 09:11 PM
Oh no...he died? Is there an obit somewhere? :(

NM. I found it.

http://obits.al.com/obituaries/mobile/obituary.aspx?n=william-clifton-colley-clif&pid=157639687

Ahh…too young. :(

You will be missed "Clif".

John F Kennedy III
06-13-2012, 09:22 PM
RIP WilliamC

Very sad :(

Paul Fan
06-14-2012, 12:14 PM
RIP WilliamC