PDA

View Full Version : Unbinding Gingrich, Santorum delegates

robertwerden
05-08-2012, 09:54 PM
So about 300-350 delegates are bound to these guys. What are we doing to unbind them at the state level conventions?
If we can win those delegate slots at the state conventions, we could vote to unbind and then pick up a huge chunk of delegates.

What am I missing?

cassielund99@gmail.com
05-08-2012, 09:58 PM
Well you need a 2/3 vote to unbind them. Which is tough to do. The next step is for Gingrich and Santorum to get in the black in the campaign. They can't release there delegates till then.

rich34
05-08-2012, 10:48 PM
^^Interesting, I did not know that. I wonder if Mitt is gonna fork out the money to make this happen?

Bohner
05-08-2012, 10:53 PM
Paul's not going to win in the first round regardless, so it makes no difference... If they are bound to Santy/Grinch in the first round, then they aren't voting for Romney.

In fact, Unbinding them frees them up to vote for Romney, which could potentially be the determining factor in pushing Romney past that magic number in the first round, which is what we don't want.

alucard13mmfmj
05-08-2012, 10:59 PM
unbinding is a no-no. romney could get those few extra dozen delegates and put him over the top. even if ron gets the majority of them, it still gives romney some additional delegates.

Standing Like A Rock
05-08-2012, 11:50 PM
Paul's not going to win in the first round regardless, so it makes no difference... If they are bound to Santy/Grinch in the first round, then they aren't voting for Romney.

In fact, Unbinding them frees them up to vote for Romney, which could potentially be the determining factor in pushing Romney past that magic number in the first round, which is what we don't want.

Yeah, we want those guys to remain bound. The most important thing is to have as many people not voting for Romney as possible. It doesn't matter who, but just NOT Romney.

Agorism
05-09-2012, 12:11 AM
Anyone who is not a Romney supporter.....is NOT a Romney supporter.

So not sure I see the problem with them.

opinionatedfool
05-09-2012, 04:47 AM
Anyone bound to these or romney should abstain in the first round if permitted by your state rules. If people do so, we don't want gingrich and santorums unbound as they'll just vote for romney.

DamianTV
05-09-2012, 05:08 AM
They have to release their Delegates by suspending their campaigns state by state. So although they've officially suspended their campaigns, they have NOT suspended their campaigns in each and every state. Nevada is a Prime Example. The rules (that we havent changed yet) effectively say Santorum and Gingrich are still running and active. Its a shitty way to go, but they did their jobs, they split the Delegate Vote. It is another obstacle for us to overcome, but because they've also taken Delegates away from Romney, we CAN use this to our advantage.

kathy88
05-09-2012, 05:14 AM
What if the debts are not paid by the time RNC rolls around?

tbone717
05-09-2012, 05:17 AM
What if the debts are not paid by the time RNC rolls around?

Typically, they are, but in this case Newt will not be able to be nominated from the floor because he does not have the plurality of 5 states, so his delegates will become unbound (according to most states rules). I would imagine Santorum could refuse the floor nomination. I can't recall this ever occurring, and really will only be an issue if Romney does not get to 1144 prior to the convention.

DamianTV
05-09-2012, 05:25 AM
Why do I have a feeling Romney will fail to reach his goal? Keep going guys! Get to your Conventions and make HISTORY!

tbone717
05-09-2012, 05:38 AM
Why do I have a feeling Romney will fail to reach his goal? Keep going guys! Get to your Conventions and make HISTORY!

Conventions are only a small part of the equation though. The convention process is determining unbound delegates (of which there are only 415 at the RNC), and in cases like MA the persons who will serve as bound delegates. As of today Romney has 790 bound delegates, there is little that can occur at the conventions to make that number go backwards. Look at NV for example, while Paul supporters did a great job at getting themselves seated for the RNC, their victory did not reduce Romney's 1st ballot total for that state.

What needs to occur to block Romney from winning is for Paul to win the remaining primary contests, capturing the large majority of the remaining bound delegates and present a legitimate challenge to Romney. At that point the unbound delegates (415 of them) will come into play, and depending on how they vote will determine whether or not Romney is nominated. If Romney continues to win states, his bound total will far exceed 1144, and only something unprecedented (like a 2/3 majority voting to unbind all delegates) would need to occur to stop his nomination.

There are 11 states remaining, there should be intense focus on all of them with the exception of Utah (Romney's support is far too strong there). If Paul can convince the voters in these upcoming states that he is the means that can prevent a Romney nomination then he can win some states and prevent what presently appears to be inevitable.