PDA

View Full Version : We need a push for more caucus states

robert9712000
05-06-2012, 05:43 PM
After seeing the results from the caucuses and conventions its proof positive to me that one way to really help change this country is through getting more states to run caucuses. To me in primaries a straight up majority preference vote is the lazy mans way of voting.The lazy person doesn't pay attention to who they vote for or why they just vote for whoever the media builds up and thus making them easily led.

The caucus on the contrary encourages involvement and gives the power to the people who believe in the candidate they back,instead of power the majority mob mentality sheep that vote where ever there led to vote.

I think by having the caucus it will also encourage more people to get involved in there local politics because once your involved you can see that you can actually help change things and it compels you pay attention to local politics.

I hope Paul wins,but we need to think about the future too,we have a chance with the current passion in the movement to actually reshape American politics but i believe we only have a couple year window if Paul doesn't win before people return to there Apathetic ways.I think the establishment after this year will recognize the power in the caucus system and try to do away with them,so we need to counter them by being in the positions that make those decisions.

I read on another thread that a states central committee and chairman establishes the rules for the elections.Do they also have the ability to determine if a state uses a preference vote or a caucus?If so we need to get people elected on those committees.I believe they are elected on the off years.

If there's enough interest we could create a sub forum for people to post libertarian minded candidates running

azxd
05-06-2012, 07:06 PM
I concur with the basic idea, yet feel this is the proper place to discuss such things.

Sorry I don't have the answer to your question ... But have a suspicion that it is within each States power to decide such a thing, and each will be different.

RabbitMan
05-06-2012, 07:27 PM
I believe you are correct Robert. Washington State usually has a Republican primary and a caucus, but got rid of the primary this year because it would cost too much. You might be on to something!

Zippyjuan
05-06-2012, 09:52 PM
Some would argue that a primary is better than a caucus since it better reflects the opinions of the state's voters since it is a direct ballot of those voters while a caucus is a measure of organization and intensity of only a few voters. It is true that Ron Paul does better in caususes than in primaries.

The Gold Standard
05-06-2012, 10:50 PM
If this were a democracy then primaries would be the better fit. Since it isn't, caucuses are. That said, I fully expect them to try and switch to all primaries because the sheep are much more easily controlled through the media than are the grassroots activists.

Tod
05-06-2012, 11:02 PM
I never had the slightest clue how a caucus worked until this election cycle (I live in a primary state) and now that I've seen it, I would much rather my state had caucuses.

tsai3904
05-06-2012, 11:13 PM
I never had the slightest clue how a caucus worked until this election cycle (I live in a primary state) and now that I've seen it, I would much rather my state had caucuses.

Every state has some sort of caucus process to elect important high level Republican Party positions, like National Committeeman and Committeewoman. To take part, you have to at least be a voting member of your County GOP.

More info here: http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?368828-Become-a-Voting-Member-of-Your-County-GOP

robert9712000
05-08-2012, 04:33 PM
Bumping since the thread got lost in the late night threads.

Im curious to see others thoughts on this idea.