PDA

View Full Version : Springfield, Illinois: Ron Paul supporters told to remove signs from THEIR OWN yards!

FrankRep
11-15-2007, 06:21 PM
Ron Paul supporters told to remove signs

UPI
Nov. 15, 2007

SPRINGFIELD, Ill., Nov. 15 (UPI) -- Supporters of Republican presidential hopeful Ron Paul in Springfield, Ill., have been asked to remove campaign signs that the city says are too large.

The city's building and zoning department sent letters dated Oct. 25 to the owners of two properties, informing them that "banners and stakes" posted at the property exceed the square footage allowed by zoning rules, the Springfield State Journal-Register reported Thursday.

"Putting signs in your yard is as old as the election process itself," Mabus said. "What's more important -- preserving our national sovereignty or worrying about a stupid little sign?"

Springfield's zoning rules allow homes to display temporary signs that are no larger than 12 square feet. Temporary signs supporting political candidates are only allowed within 60 days of the election, which would be Dec. 7 for the Feb. 5 Illinois state primary.

Full Source:
http://www.upi.com/NewsTrack/Top_News/2007/11/15/ron_paul_supporters_told_to_remove_signs/5759/

FrankRep
11-15-2007, 06:22 PM
Brainstorm, what can we do?

me3
11-15-2007, 06:23 PM
Contact City Attorney and ask him if the bylaw stands up to the First Amendment.

Ron Paul in 2008
11-15-2007, 06:25 PM
They have no damn right to tell people to remove signs on their own property. Nobody should budge. If we all hold our ground they cant do anything. We have private property and free speech in this country.

brianbb98
11-15-2007, 06:25 PM
Well.. they cant stop us all.. right?

Furis
11-15-2007, 06:27 PM
And this is why Im opposed to city planning/zoning....... well there are other reasons too.

FrankRep
11-15-2007, 06:31 PM
Inspiration!

Victory in Minnesota: RP supporter allowed to display Ron Paul sign on own property

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=28967

We can fight this! Here's proof.

rpfreedom08
11-15-2007, 06:33 PM
As ron paul has said. Civil disobedience is a good thing! Don't take them down! I wouldn't.

seapilot
11-15-2007, 06:37 PM
Put christmas lights around it, then call it an ornament. Or have a plastic santa holding it. Wonder what the code is for christmas decorations? See people put all kinds of big things in thier yard during the holidays. Make your Ron Paul sign festive.

Akus
11-15-2007, 06:40 PM
Well, if the code says, sign is too large, for God's sake, just cut the corners or something. Rules are rules. No need to scream conspiracy.

brianbb98
11-15-2007, 06:40 PM
Put christmas lights around it, then call it an ornament. Or have a plastic santa holding it. Wonder what the code is for christmas decorations? See people put all kinds of big things in thier yard during the holidays. Make your Ron Paul sign festive.

Christmas tree shaped Ron Paul signs? :)

Mark Rushmore
11-15-2007, 06:45 PM
Cut the sign into smaller signs that meet the requirement then tie them together with thread to form a sign-quilt? Staple some red plastic sheeting cutout that spells RON PAUL 2008 or whatever on the roof? Get a talented artist to airbrush his portrait on the side of your house? :)

Jobarra
11-15-2007, 06:46 PM
Well, if the code says, sign is too large, for God's sake, just cut the corners or something. Rules are rules. No need to scream conspiracy.
Better yet, make each letter a small sign. Then you can also claim that it's not political since the signs by themselves are nothing, it's just a coincedence that they spell out RON PAUL. :D

Also, what about a huge sign in your window? Can they dictate what you put inside your own house?

angelatc
11-15-2007, 06:47 PM

If they want to do battle with city hall, call the ACLU. As far as I know, they've already taken a few of these cases and won every time.

Apparently it's not Constitutional, and that document trumps code.

fj45lvr
11-15-2007, 06:47 PM
Simple solution: just cut your signs up so that they become the same sign but as a mosiac of legal sized ones.

They cannot tell you when you can put them in your yard....that is 100% B.S. ...If you want to have a sign up on your property you can do it anytime you want to. A ron paul sign is not always a "campaign sign".

Ron LOL
11-15-2007, 06:58 PM
The thing to do here is of course to really start fucking with them over what exactly is meant by "12 square feet." If I cut out all the white space and leave free standing letters totaling 12 square feet (hint: those would be some large letters), is that okay? :)

Edit: I like the mosaic idea above, too. Basically, make it not worth their time to come after you.

tmg19103
11-15-2007, 07:00 PM
Laws restricting the time you can place a political lawn sign (ex: 40 days before and 5 days sfter an election) have been declared unconstituional and are an easy win. My township is in the process of changing their time limit political sign code after my lawyer sent them a letter.

However, size and types of materials can be restricted. I'm not a lawyer and this is not legal advice, but I don't think the example in the thread of signs that are too large per the zoning code would hold up in court by someone challenging it.

TruckinMike
11-15-2007, 07:33 PM
One thing you can do is buy 4x8 signs, one for each vehicle. Then make something to attach the sign to the car. An automobile with signage is usually exempt in most cities. So take advantage of their oversight. MOUNT 4x8 signs on the car rooftops!! --- Take them off for driving, but put them back on when you get home.

Or permanently mount 2x4 signs on the rooftops... yes...thats even better!

ladyliberty
11-15-2007, 07:46 PM
Since that fence is a chain link fence - do this - get some disposable plastic cups - red or blue would look nice - and then slip the cups into the links of the fence to spell out Ron Paul in really big letters! No law against plastic cups is there????

Matter of fact - i know some really nice fences around here - I might do that too - :D

Like this:

http://www.tyc.state.tx.us/archive/programs/victimsrights_week01/images/vic_ssfence.jpg

USAFCapt
11-15-2007, 08:07 PM
Just leave it.

jrich4rpaul
11-15-2007, 08:10 PM
If there's laws for sign sizes, just follow the law and use the right size. I've never heard of any city saying "no signs may be displayed", it's just a matter of size, placement, and sometimes a fee to have a campaign sign on your property. If that's how you gotta keep it up, then just do it. No conspiracies here.

Cowlesy
11-15-2007, 08:18 PM
Come on...these are just some ordinary city folks enforcing an ordinance for someone who doesn't like RP told them to enforce.

Take the lemons and make lemonade here. Why don't you talk to a few of the council people about how you understand their ordinance, but in your view it is a violation of the constitution --- but don't be defensive with them about it --- try to bring them around to your point of view.

If they are really against you, then just nicely say "okay", but you are going to check with the ACLU as "You really don't think Free Speech can be prohibited" by this ordinance. If that doesn't convince them, go for the ACLU.

There is zero reason here to alienate citizens who are city officials. Let's bring them into the fold that is Ron Paul's wonderful message.

cmc
11-15-2007, 08:19 PM
Ron Paul skylights!

jmunjr
11-15-2007, 08:20 PM
This is good! Lots of press for Ron Paul.

FrankRep
11-16-2007, 12:08 AM
bump

bmcosti
11-16-2007, 12:12 AM
I know the Mabus' Family from the Illinois Straw Poll, they are hardcore Ron Paul supporters. If they need help I would do whatever I can to help them out.

American
11-16-2007, 12:14 AM
Well this isnt a new issue and I am pretty sure you can call the ACLU they will tell you. I know if Florida it was in the states constitution that they had a right of free speech which this is a form of.

ACLU

my .02

alsi if its feasible paint the Garage door Ron Paul

bmcosti
11-16-2007, 12:17 AM
Don't forget that the U.S. Constitution is the Supreme law of the land. This means it supersedes local ordinances. The right to free speech is protected by the Constitution, and property rights are a part of the Constitution as well. Well now after the Kelo decision I am not so sure.

Richandler
11-16-2007, 12:19 AM
The problem with a lot of these sign codes is the we can't buy land anymore. Sure we can buy real estate but that isn't the same as buying land. If housing protection laws were put in place I would love to see land become legally available for purchase in small quantities in every state.

billv
11-16-2007, 12:38 AM
Just paint your house Ron

steph3n
11-16-2007, 12:49 AM
Try IJ over the ACLU

http://ij.org/

Cindy
11-16-2007, 01:28 AM

That made me smile. Tie some holly on the upper corners and tell them they are now Christmas decorations. lol.

Reminds me of the case where the guy could have comercial signs, but not Political signs, so he made a new sign that said-

Ron Paul
for President

memorbilia sold here

FrankRep
11-17-2007, 10:24 AM
WOW! Video News coverage

youtube
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iqIAAYsSvt8

hillertexas
11-17-2007, 10:29 AM
Paint the side of your house
Paint your garage door