PDA

View Full Version : I wrote a letter to the editor!

honkywill
06-20-2007, 02:20 AM
I've done this a few times over the past year and a half.

Written nine, six of which were published.

It's THE publication in my area so it's as good a shot at getting some good local print for RP as I'm gonna to get.

Here's the letter:
---------------

In the June 19th's Eagle Frank Messer suggested that if someone doesn't approve of Bush then that person should "vote Democratic."

So apparently someone who is conservative, in the true sense of the word in that they are; for small government and fiscal responsibility and against debt racking social programs should suddenly vote for a Democrat because they don't approve of a president that has done nothing but expand the power of the federal government, cut taxes for the super-wealthy, and help guide our country deep into debt and deeper with no thanks to a horribly mismanaged "War on Terror."

On the Democratic side all there is a superficial criticism of the war and the promise of a universal health-care we couldn't even hope to afford. How is that a logical choice for a conservative who simply disapproves of this president?

Then there's the Republican side and the same promises of war and more war with all the money we don't really have that China is willing to lend. It would seem that it is either warfare or welfare and no refuge for a conservative who doesn't support this President or his faulty war.

BUT on the Republican side there's one exception to this. A man who wants to end our dependency on nations like China along with the IRS and it's waste, to bring our troops home to secure our borders and return more power to the states.(Like the constitution intended!)

Furthermore, unlike all candidates on both sides of the field, this man's campaign is financed almost entirely by individuals rather than businesses or special interest groups. This means his actions in office would be guided by convictions rather than favors owed.

This man is a 10th-term congressman and physician who earned the name "Dr. No" for never once voting to raise taxes on the people and/or waste tax monies, never even voting to raise his own congressional pay.

In 2000 he voted NO to giving gold medals to Ronald and Nancy Reagan, despite being close friends. He did so because besides being an unconstitutional act it included $30,000+ in tax dollars, instead he proposed that all 435 congressmen honor the former president by each using $100 of their own money, yet none of his associates accepted this proposal.

This man's name is Ron Paul. He is running for president and his chances are slim because media coverage is placed heavily on the faux-conservative cashcow that is Rudy McRomney. In place of a multi-million dollar campaign all Ron Paul has is a consistent voting record that reflects a genuine concern for his country, and people who appreciate that concern. But is that enough in our republic, or will obscene cash-flow once again be the deciding factor for another presidency?

To know more about Ron Paul or how you can support him then PLEASE visit his website. www.ronpaul2008.com

William
Ozark, AL

honkywill
06-20-2007, 02:23 AM
feel free to make suggestions for revision.

the paper requests that we limit letters to 300 words but i have seen them make some exceptions. most of mine have been in the 290-330 range.

i just don't know if they'll be printing this one. it's feels like they've been printing every other letter from me the past few times, and i just had one published sunday. :/

Kuldebar
06-20-2007, 03:58 AM
It's a great letter, hope it does get published.

Bro.Butch
07-05-2007, 06:13 PM
feel free to make suggestions for revision.

the paper requests that we limit letters to 300 words but i have seen them make some exceptions. most of mine have been in the 290-330 range.

i just don't know if they'll be printing this one. it's feels like they've been printing every other letter from me the past few times, and i just had one published sunday. :/

Good Job, but you need to send letters to all papers that come into your county. That would be Dothan, Enterphrise, Mobile?, etc. You are writing good letters just don't overkill your local neighbors. Send them all over south Alabama, bet you will be successful. Naturally you have to comment on an article. Which you can find online or at the public Library, @ least our library up here gets all papers in the area. I'm about 120 miles north of you. LaFayette

I'm truly glad to see someone in southeast bama pushing Dr. Paul. We had 14 @ our first Auburn meet-up. I think if all of us work for it he can get some delegates in the state. He has to get a minimum 15% in congressional dictricts...