PDA

View Full Version : Colorado Farmer Gets Four-Year Prison Term for Being Shot by a Cop

Anti Federalist
05-05-2012, 05:11 PM
The heroic Will Grigg, once again.

Colorado Farmer Gets Four-Year Prison Term for Being Shot by a Cop

Posted by William Grigg on May 4, 2012 11:44 AM

http://www.lewrockwell.com/blog/lewrw/archives/111406.html#more-111406

It’s not enough that Calhan, Colorado resident David Goss was shot in the stomach by a trespasser last June after he had order the intruder to leave. Because that trespasser wore a government-issued costume, Goss will spend the next four years in a government cage — half the sentence that had been demanded by the vindictive prosecutor. Goss, who was tasered and shot three times in the abdomen at close range, was convicted of second-degree assault, menacing, disarming an officer, attempting to disarm an officer, and obstructing justice

Shulz claimed that Goss had “attacked” him and tried to grab his gun. He initially claimed that he shot Goss with a Taser after he sensed the farmer “advancing” on him from behind. He later enhanced the story by claiming that Goss — despite being hit with a Taser strike — ended up on top of him, beating him with his own radio and threatening to kill him. At that point, according to Shulz, he shot the farmer in self-defense.

In addition to being internally inconsistent, Shulz’s composite account of the incident is rebutted my eyewitness testimony. Confronted about his inconsistencies on the witness stand, Shulz — a paragon of self-pity who was reduced to blubbering at several points during the trial — insisted that "the situation was chaotic …. So if I don’t remember something that’s normal and typical.”

In a sense, he’s correct: Since cops are trained and expected to lie, self-serving perjury of this kind is entirely normal and typical.

Defense attorney Geoffrey Heim produced photographs of Deputy Shulz after the incident showing that there was dust on the left leg of his trousers, but none on his back. Prosecutor Tanya Karimi insisted that Shulz was “mistaken” about how he had landed on the ground, and that he was on his side when the struggle took place. However, Shulz himself claimed that Goss was kneeling on his chest at the time of the shooting.

Shulz also threatened several eyewitnesses on the scene.

At the sentencing hearing, a tearful Shulz continued to wallow in his bottomless sense of victimhood.

“You caused me more pain than you can imagine,” simpered Shulz, addressing the farmer he had attempted to murder. “I have no pity for you even though I know that I should.”

Shulz’s petulant lachrymosity was matched by the arrogant sanctimony of Presiding Judge William Bain, who said that the “message” delivered by caging an innocent farmer for the “crime” of being assaulted by a uniformed tax-feeder was that “if you get in a fight with a cop you’re going to go to prison.”

On the other hand, cops who simply murder a citizen after breaking into his home can expect … nothing, except, perhaps, their next scheduled raise.

Kenneth Chamberlain, a 68-year-old retired Marine from White Plains, New York, was murdered by police in his own home last November 16 after his medic alert pendant accidentally went off.

When the EMTs responded, the police tagged along. For over an hour, the police demanded that Chamberlain open his door. He told them to leave. That was a lawful order the police are required to obey. Rather than doing so, they busted down the door, tasered the elderly man, and gunned him down. One of the officers used a derogatory ethnic slur to refer to the elderly Marine, who was black.

No criminal charges have been filed against any of the cops who murdered Chamberlain.

Apparently, police can invade our property and kill us without cause — or have us sent to prison if we survive.

UPDATE:

A source who followed the case very closely informs me that Shulz fired four shots, only one of which hit Goss. One of them was directed at the vehicle carrying Goss's wife, who tried to intervene after her husband was tasered. Two others were fired blindly as Goss — who was much smaller than the assailant — wrestled with Shulz, redirecting his aim.

UPDATE II:

An LRC reader asks why Deputy Shulz had invaded Goss's property, a matter I had neglected to mention. The deputy was responding to a call from several people who had mistakenly trespassed on Goss's property. The farmer, who had suffered a series of thefts and received no help from the local "authorities," displayed a certain asperity in ordering the uninvited visitors to leave, and he was similarly inhospitable to the deputy when he showed up.

azxd
05-05-2012, 05:26 PM
It's a good thing he was found not guilty of first-degree assault ... The sentence would be greater, if he had been found guilty of this charge, also.

presence
05-05-2012, 05:49 PM
WTF happened to "do you have a warrant?" "no... then get off my land, you're trespassing."

presence

Anti Federalist
05-05-2012, 05:51 PM
WTF happened to "do you have a warrant?" "no... then get off my land, you're trespassing."

presence

"Pipe down, Mundane, or I'll give ya a wood shampoo."

azxd
05-05-2012, 05:59 PM

presence

"Pipe down, Mundane, or I'll give ya a wood shampoo."I hear they solve dandruff problems.

bolil
05-05-2012, 06:00 PM
Spoken like a true pig!

azxd
05-05-2012, 06:00 PM
Why was he flown to a local hospital ... Dead men tell no tales :confused:

asurfaholic
05-05-2012, 06:06 PM
Wow.. sometimes words can't describe the absolute insanity...

LibForestPaul
05-05-2012, 06:10 PM
UPDATE:

A source who followed the case very closely informs me that Shulz fired four shots, only one of which hit Goss. One of them was directed at the vehicle carrying Goss's wife, who tried to intervene after her husband was tasered. Two others were fired blindly as Goss — who was much smaller than the assailant — wrestled with Shulz, redirecting his aim.

UPDATE II:

An LRC reader asks why Deputy Shulz had invaded Goss's property, a matter I had neglected to mention. The deputy was responding to a call from several people who had mistakenly trespassed on Goss's property. The farmer, who had suffered a series of thefts and received no help from the local "authorities," displayed a certain asperity in ordering the uninvited visitors to leave, and he was similarly inhospitable to the deputy when he showed up.

Winner! we have Argentina stories now in US! good job! Only a matter of time, the spiral of shit right on course.

azxd
05-05-2012, 06:11 PM
Nevada vote commencing.

Replies: 613 (http://www.ronpaulforums.com/misc.php?do=whoposted&t=375067)
Views: 32,636

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?375074-**NEVADA**-State-Convention-updates-here&p=4400652#post4400652

TheTexan
05-05-2012, 07:51 PM
Hypothetically what would have happened if Goss had killed Shulz.. hmm.

bolil
05-05-2012, 07:59 PM
Hypothetically, it might be said, justice had been done.

Veteran Citizen
05-06-2012, 08:07 AM
There is an obvious slant to that story. Costume instead of Uniform? The sentence was not for being shot, as the headline suggested.

I'm very skeptical. Something leaning that far, is likely not the truth of the matter.

XNavyNuke
05-06-2012, 08:16 AM
You gotta love the judge. One must respect ones betters lest I hand down harsher sentences.

http://www.gazette.com/articles/goss-137981-deputy-county.html

As he handed down his sentence, Judge Bain said the confrontation should not have happened at all and it was Goss’ distrust of deputies that escalated the situation. He said Goss’ sentence had to be a statement that showed his actions weren’t acceptable and he felt that sending him to prison for any time made that statement.

XNN

Veteran Citizen
05-06-2012, 10:30 AM
Guhwhat???

What did the deputy do to deserve to die? he was answering a call. The landowner had every right to order him off his property. That's about as far as it goes. Your sense of justice is twisted.

PaulConventionWV
05-06-2012, 12:48 PM

presence

Probably would have been a better response. If you at least try to battle them with legal issues, they might not kill you as fast.

PaulConventionWV
05-06-2012, 12:50 PM
Guhwhat???

What did the deputy do to deserve to die? he was answering a call. The landowner had every right to order him off his property. That's about as far as it goes. Your sense of justice is twisted.

Who are you responding to?

HOLLYWOOD
05-06-2012, 12:52 PM
AND the JURY... what is it with Boneheaded Americans. Forrest Gump society pushing for a Soylent Green world.

John F Kennedy III
05-06-2012, 12:56 PM
It's a good thing he was found not guilty of first-degree assault ... The sentence would be greater, if he had been found guilty of this charge, also.

Do you think he should have been found guilty at all? Do you think the cop should have been charged and convicted?

azxd
05-06-2012, 01:04 PM
Do you think he should have been found guilty at all? Do you think the cop should have been charged and convicted?I don't own a crystal ball, and I don't see this single story as being a national interest story.

I'm more concerned about removing ALL less-than-lethal methods from LE ... They are easier to abuse, and because of them, they embolden those who do not think.

Look at it historically, and I think you will find there is some truth to this ... What those who complain daily about, is because of a mental shift by both parties.

LibertyEagle
05-06-2012, 01:48 PM
AND the JURY... what is it with Boneheaded Americans. Forrest Gump society pushing for a Soylent Green world.

They're probably listening to the judge's instructions. That is what happened when I sat on a jury. It was maddening.

John F Kennedy III
05-06-2012, 01:49 PM
I don't own a crystal ball, and I don't see this single story as being a national interest story.

I'm more concerned about removing ALL less-than-lethal methods from LE ... They are easier to abuse, and because of them, they embolden those who do not think.

Look at it historically, and I think you will find there is some truth to this ... What those who complain daily about, is because of a mental shift by both parties.

I agree.

azxd
05-06-2012, 02:24 PM
I agree.Glad to hear it ... And figured you'd be in agreement.

Anti Federalist
05-06-2012, 02:40 PM
They're probably listening to the judge's instructions. That is what happened when I sat on a jury. It was maddening.

Fully informed juries FTW.

Tell us about your experience.

Even more than politics, even more than getting involved in party workings or being a delegate or getting elected to office, I think this is one of the most important venues that freedom minded people need to be involved in.

Learn the system, learn how to get through the voir dire process and regardless of what any judge tells you, you have a right to judge both the facts and the law.

And if it is an unjust law, or an unjust prosecution of law, then you acquit, even if only one person, hang that jury to judgment day if need be.

azxd
05-06-2012, 02:42 PM
AND DO NOT FEAR THE SYSTEM

Captain Shays
05-06-2012, 05:24 PM
I don't own a crystal ball, and I don't see this single story as being a national interest story.

usually tend to agree with most of the things you say but not this. As you well know, my step son was shot five times by a cop at school. If a taser or some other means of non lethal mitigation was available maybe he would still be alive. I doubt it but just a maybe is good enough for me

azxd
05-06-2012, 05:47 PM
usually tend to agree with most of the things you say but not this. As you well know, my step son was shot five times by a cop at school. If a taser or some other means of non lethal mitigation was available maybe he would still be alive. I doubt it but just a maybe is good enough for meSorry to hear this, but it doesn't change my position, even as I understand what you are saying.

Why didn't the cop just talk to, or if necessary, beat your step son with a club/hand to obtain control of the situation, is my first thought ?
Then again,
If the LEO felt his life was in danger....................... I'll just leave it at that.

Captain Shays
05-06-2012, 05:56 PM
Sorry to hear this, but it doesn't change my position, even as I understand what you are saying.

Why didn't the cop just talk to, or if necessary, beat your step son with a club/hand to obtain control of the situation, is my first thought ?
Then again,
If the LEO felt his life was in danger....................... I'll just leave it at that.
He "says" he felt his life was in danger. I'll go to my grave believing it wasn't

azxd
05-06-2012, 06:04 PM
He "says" he felt his life was in danger. I'll go to my grave believing it wasn'tTotally understandable, and sorry, once again.

Anti Federalist
05-06-2012, 06:20 PM
Totally understandable, and sorry, once again.

Would it be "fear mongering" to tell your surviving children to be wary of and avoid cops if at all possible?

tod evans
05-07-2012, 07:00 AM
All of this happy horseshit would come to a screeching halt with video.

There is no reason for every LEO to not be recorded every minute they are on the clock.

Transparency makes for honesty.

Any person acting under the color of law needs to be recorded, no recording no pay!

Violence without a recording would be grounds for a civil suit against the cop, liability and transparency...

osan
05-07-2012, 07:35 AM

Did you listen/obey?

azxd
05-07-2012, 07:38 AM
I sure can see how this affects the entire population of this country ... Maybe this crap belongs in the vent, where one or two people can vent their frustrations.

phill4paul
05-07-2012, 07:53 AM
I sure can see how this affects the entire population of this country ... Maybe this crap belongs in the vent, where one or two people can vent their frustrations.

It happens all across America. Everyday. Government policy allows/supports it. Therefore, General Politics.

moostraks
05-07-2012, 11:11 AM

Why must you complain about every police article and harp about how they should be buried? Methinks you doth protest too much.

CaptainAmerica
05-07-2012, 11:35 AM
It's a good thing he was found not guilty of first-degree assault ... The sentence would be greater, if he had been found guilty of this charge, also. really? -_-

RickyJ
05-07-2012, 11:43 AM
I can't say anything here about this. I don't want to get banned. Something needs to be done though.

fisharmor
05-07-2012, 11:57 AM

There is no reason for every LEO to not be recorded every minute they are on the clock.

Yeah, there's a great big reason for LEOs not to be recorded every minute they're on the clock.
As I'm fond of pointing out here, the things Will Grigg writes about are the reason for police to exist.
They exist to trespass on our property, beat us up, shoot our dogs, taze us, murder us, then posthumously refer to us as enemy combatants in a war we didn't start.

If they were recorded every minute they're on the clock, and if those recordings were available to the public, it would become painfully obvious - even to people like azxd who demonstrate a profound and excruciating inability to read between the lines - that what people think they're there for, and what they are actually there for, are two diametrically opposed things.

They will never be recorded. Even after SCOTUS rules unequivocally that there is no way for private citizens to break wiretapping laws by recording LEOs, they will simply take to murdering those who record them and destroying their equipment.

The police never were what we were all taught that they are. Never. Not since day one.
They were always what these articles show them to be.
And there is therefore only one way to get them to stop being what they are: get rid of them.

phill4paul
05-07-2012, 12:11 PM
Yeah, there's a great big reason for LEOs not to be recorded every minute they're on the clock.
As I'm fond of pointing out here, the things Will Grigg writes about are the reason for police to exist.
They exist to trespass on our property, beat us up, shoot our dogs, taze us, murder us, then posthumously refer to us as enemy combatants in a war we didn't start.

If they were recorded every minute they're on the clock, and if those recordings were available to the public, it would become painfully obvious - even to people like azxd who demonstrate a profound and excruciating inability to read between the lines - that what people think they're there for, and what they are actually there for, are two diametrically opposed things.

They will never be recorded. Even after SCOTUS rules unequivocally that there is no way for private citizens to break wiretapping laws by recording LEOs, they will simply take to murdering those who record them and destroying their equipment.

The police never were what we were all taught that they are. Never. Not since day one.
They were always what these articles show them to be.
And there is therefore only one way to get them to stop being what they are: get rid of them.

It will be fought tooth and nail. Already there is opposition against it.

Police union threatens legal action over Metro’s decision to test body-mounted cameras.

Metro Police don’t have dashboard cameras, but this week officers will begin testing one type of body-worn camera with hopes of purchasing more of the cameras and putting them into regular use within the next fiscal year....

County Commissioner Steve Sisolak sits as one of five people on Metro’s Fiscal Affairs Committee, which oversees Metro’s budget. He said testing of the cameras would be completed in July, but the department planned to look at four or five more camera models before making a decision about which one to buy....

To get the cameras in use, however, Metro might have to first defend itself in court. The Las Vegas Police Protective Association is not backing down from its contention such cameras can’t be forced upon officers without first negotiating with the union.

http://www.lasvegassun.com/news/2012/may/07/police-union-threatens-legal-action-over-metros-de/

Kylie
05-07-2012, 02:36 PM

Transparency makes for honesty.

Any person acting under the color of law needs to be recorded, no recording no pay!

Violence without a recording would be grounds for a civil suit against the cop, liability and transparency...

I like this.

Kylie
05-07-2012, 02:43 PM
It will be fought tooth and nail. Already there is opposition against it.

http://www.lasvegassun.com/news/2012/may/07/police-union-threatens-legal-action-over-metros-de/

Chris Collins, union president, said the cameras represent a “clear change in working conditions,” as they add new requirements to an officer’s daily routine, including downloading the camera’s data. The cameras, he added, also could impact an officer’s safety. Both factors, he said, mean it is “mandatory” for the department to include the cameras within the scope of its union contract.

If the department moves to buy the cameras without that contractual consideration, “we are going to take legal action,” Collins added.

I can see their point, though. So it's going to make them have to be accountable for everything, at all times, while on the clock.

That should come with something in return. I wouldn't do that job for any amount of money, but they do, so they should be compensated.

And maybe, just maybe, then we could start to turn around the way they are used and what they do in our society. Short of just disbanding them(and since it will never happen), this is the least we should be doing.

Pericles
05-07-2012, 02:48 PM
What's the matter with the cameras if they have nothing to hide ...... oh, that's just for mundanes.

phill4paul
05-07-2012, 02:49 PM
I can see their point, though. So it's going to make them have to be accountable for everything, at all times, while on the clock.

That should come with something in return. I wouldn't do that job for any amount of money, but they do, so they should be compensated.

And maybe, just maybe, then we could start to turn around the way they are used and what they do in our society. Short of just disbanding them(and since it will never happen), this is the least we should be doing.

I don't see it that way Kylie. They are on 'company' time. Many 'civilian' jobs require just as much surveillance. If they don't like it they can find another job. Reagan got rid of Union Air Traffic Controllers. The city needs to give these union workers the same choice. Plenty in need of jobs out there.

Kylie
05-07-2012, 07:10 PM
I don't see it that way Kylie. They are on 'company' time. Many 'civilian' jobs require just as much surveillance. If they don't like it they can find another job. Reagan got rid of Union Air Traffic Controllers. The city needs to give these union workers the same choice. Plenty in need of jobs out there.

They know they're going to be on tape. So they're going to have to actually do things the way they're supposed to be done. That is going to make their jobs much more difficult, since a good portion of them have been doing their jobs wrong for so long(And have fucked it up for the good ones to be trusted by the general public). I want to not only catch the bad ones and shitcan them with the video, I want to give positive reinforcement for the good ones who do their job well.

We can use their tactics against them. If they have nothing to hide, then they should have nothing to worry about. But if my job decided that I had to use a video(and have someone going through that video...like the public), I know I am on egg shells all the time worried that I will fuck it up and get shitcanned. I would want to be paid for that, or I would quit. And since they have a union, they can bargain with it. I'd be willing to pony up a few extra cents to pay these guys to actually uphold the Constitution.

I'd also be willing to put them in prison using the videotape as evidence against them.