PDA

View Full Version : CBS: Suicides of iraq vets outnumber casualties by far

stefans
11-15-2007, 05:21 PM
I think ron paul and his supporters should be made aware of this to be able to illustrate the real cost of a war of choice.

(note that the number of suicides is for one year, as opposed to the number of casualties for the whole war.)

"More American military veterans have been committing suicide than US soldiers have been dying in Iraq, it was claimed yesterday.

At least 6,256 US veterans took their lives in 2005, at an average of 17 a day, according to figures broadcast last night. Former servicemen are more than twice as likely than the rest of the population to commit suicide.

Such statistics compare to the total of 3,863 American military deaths in Iraq since the invasion in 2003 - an average of 2.4 a day"

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/us_and_americas/article2873622.ece

American
11-15-2007, 05:24 PM
Holy shit, I read something about this somewhere else today and I dont think it said this.

Damn this is horrible,

terlinguatx
11-15-2007, 05:26 PM

RPFTW!
11-15-2007, 05:26 PM
Not to mention the 'mystery' diseases which I'm sure will be just as bad as Vietnam and Gulf War 1 caused by the depleted uranium.

sedele
11-15-2007, 05:30 PM
Not to mention the 'mystery' diseases which I'm sure will be just as bad as Vietnam and Gulf War 1 caused by the depleted uranium.

+1

Goldwater Conservative
11-15-2007, 05:30 PM
Wow, that's pretty damn sad. :(

I think Paul should really bring this statistic up and also point out that 25% of the homeless in this country are vets. I even think a solid majority of our troops want us out of Iraq. I'm tired of these draft dodgers and armchair "generals" talking a big game but ignoring the people that actually do all the work.

stefans
11-15-2007, 05:32 PM
interesting, but i hate incomplete info. how many of those vets served in iraq?

the data itself actually is incomplete at the moment.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2007/11/13/cbsnews_investigates/main3498625.shtml

but unless you think that soldiers have a higher suicide rate in general even if they are not deployed in a war zone I don't see how this can not be connected to iraq and afghanistan, thus mostly iraq.

of course it's a "natural" phenomenon that people in war zones have higher suicide rates. the point being: war of choice.

The Good Doctor
11-15-2007, 05:34 PM
My God that is terrible.

I think ron paul and his supporters should be made aware of this to be able to illustrate the real cost of a war of choice.

(note that the number of suicides is for one year, as opposed to the number of casualties for the whole war.)

"More American military veterans have been committing suicide than US soldiers have been dying in Iraq, it was claimed yesterday.

At least 6,256 US veterans took their lives in 2005, at an average of 17 a day, according to figures broadcast last night. Former servicemen are more than twice as likely than the rest of the population to commit suicide.

Such statistics compare to the total of 3,863 American military deaths in Iraq since the invasion in 2003 - an average of 2.4 a day"

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/us_and_americas/article2873622.ece

ClayTrainor
11-15-2007, 05:42 PM
wow... how depressing.

I wonder why so many military men do this? Is it because of the things they've seen or done?

Grandson of Liberty
11-15-2007, 05:43 PM
thread title is a bit misleading. it looks like these aren't necessarily iraq vets

please take care before spreading what can easily be "misinformation."

stefans
11-15-2007, 05:46 PM
thread title is a bit misleading. it looks like these aren't necessarily iraq vets

changed.
I still think there is a connection, although noone can proof that right now because there is no detailed data.

theseus51
11-15-2007, 05:46 PM
Well, I mean when you have that many people to look at, you are going to have a lot of suicides. I mean there's millions of "former military servicemen". Just given that many people, I don't think you can attribute even most of those suicides to any current war policy.

tnvoter
11-15-2007, 06:00 PM
This is possibly the most unthinkable thing to occur in our military history. WOW