PDA

View Full Version : FL Governer Rick Scott Upholds 2nd Amendment During GOP Convention

John F Kennedy III
05-03-2012, 04:18 PM
FL Governer Rick Scott Upholds 2nd Amendment During GOP Convention

Infowars.com
May 3, 2012

As you probably already know, the GOP Convention is set to take place August 27-30 in Tampa, Florida at the Tampa Bay Times Forum, but what you probably didn’t know is that we might have had to sacrifice a little freedom to be able to attend.

That’s because the Mayor of Tampa requested Florida Governor Rick Scott to consider a gun ban during the convention.

Citing a heated election cycle and an uneasy politically charged atmosphere, Mayor Bob Buckhorn wrote Scott on Tuesday asking for an executive order that would temporarily override laws that allow people to carry concealed weapons.

In the letter Buckhorn argues that in the “potentially contentious environment surrounding the RNC, a firearm unnecessarily increases the threat of imminent harm and injury to the residents and visitors of the city.”

Governer Scott was quick to deny Buckhorn’s request basically stating that such a ban would be a clear violation of the 2nd Amendment: “An absolute ban on possession in entire neighborhoods and regions would surely violate the Second Amendment.”

Scott wrote in his reply to Buckhorn:

You note that the City’s temporary ordinance regulates “sticks, poles, and water guns,” but that firearms are a “noticeable item missing from the City’s temporary ordinance.” Firearms are noticeably included, however, in the 2nd Amendment. The choice to allow the government to ban sticks and poles, but not firearms, is on that the People made in enacting their state and federal constitutions.

Like you, I share the concern that “violent anti-government protests or other civil unrest” can pose “dangers” and the “threat of substantial injury or harm to Florida residents visitors to the State.” But it is unclear how disarming law-abiding citizens would better protect them from the dangers and threats posed by those who would flout the law. It is at just such times that the constitutional right to self defense is most precious and must be protected from government overreach.

Although disappointed, Buckhorn seems to understand Scott’s stance.

Later the mayor issued a few more statements regarding his denied request: “My job as mayor first and foremost is to protect the people of my city and the law enforcement who serve on the front lines…While I proudly support the Second Amendment and have held a concealed weapon permit myself, I believe this was a workable, temporary solution. Gov. Scott made his position clear. I am disappointed, but we will plan and train accordingly.”

In the same letter, Scott elaborated on his decision: “We have had political conventions in this country since the dawn of the republic…They are an essential means of furthering our constitutional rights to free speech and to vote. Our fundamental right to keep and bear arms has coexisted with those freedoms for just as long, and I see no reason to depart from that tradition this year.”

original article here:
http://www.infowars.com/fl-governer-rick-scott-upholds-2nd-amendment-during-mass-gatherings/

madengr
05-03-2012, 09:49 PM
There is already that recent federal law passed that gives 10 years in prison for having a gun within proximity to a secret service event.

dillo
05-03-2012, 11:17 PM
There is already that recent federal law passed that gives 10 years in prison for having a gun within proximity to a secret service event.

I would have to think that would be thrown out by SCOTUS

TheTexan
05-04-2012, 12:22 AM
I would have to think that would be thrown out by SCOTUS

more like SCOTUSSR

asurfaholic
05-04-2012, 04:55 AM
Now all we need is a false flag to prove rick scott wrong. So next time the maniacs can seize total control.

row row fight da powah
05-04-2012, 06:24 AM
They never allow guns anywhere yet they might at the convention which will most likely contain a certain somebody they want to get rid of, at the same time using the incident to push stricter gun control laws. Rick Scott has made some terrible choices so far, I can't see him just suddenly actually upholding the constitution when he hasn't been true to it thus far.

madengr
05-04-2012, 11:28 AM
In case you guys were wondering, this is what I was talking about, and this (photos) is who it targets. Yet I have not even heard an inkling from gun rights groups or ACLU (attacks 1A and 2A).

H.R.347 -- Federal Restricted Buildings and Grounds Improvement Act of 2011 (Enrolled Bill [Final as Passed Both House and Senate] - ENR)

One Hundred Twelfth Congress
of the
United States of America
AT THE SECOND SESSION
Begun and held at the City of Washington on Tuesday,
the third day of January, two thousand and twelve

An Act
To correct and simplify the drafting of section 1752 (relating to restricted buildings or grounds) of title 18, United States Code.
Be it enacted by the Senate and House of Representatives of the United States of America in Congress assembled,

SECTION 1. SHORT TITLE. This Act may be cited as the `Federal Restricted Buildings and Grounds Improvement Act of 2011'.

SEC. 2. RESTRICTED BUILDING OR GROUNDS. Section 1752 of title 18, United States Code, is amended to read as follows:
-Sec. 1752. Restricted building or grounds

(a) Whoever--
(1) knowingly enters or remains in any restricted building or grounds without lawful authority to do so;
(2) knowingly, and with intent to impede or disrupt the orderly conduct of Government business or official functions, engages in disorderly or disruptive conduct in, or within such proximity to, any restricted building or grounds when, or so that, such conduct, in fact, impedes or disrupts the orderly conduct of Government business or official functions;
(3) knowingly, and with the intent to impede or disrupt the orderly conduct of Government business or official functions, obstructs or impedes ingress or egress to or from any restricted building or grounds; or
(4) knowingly engages in any act of physical violence against any person or property in any restricted building or grounds;
or attempts or conspires to do so, shall be punished as provided in subsection (b).
(b) The punishment for a violation of subsection (a) is--
(1) a fine under this title or imprisonment for not more than 10 years, or both, if--
(A) the person, during and in relation to the offense, uses or carries a deadly or dangerous weapon or firearm; or
(B) the offense results in significant bodily injury as defined by section 2118(e)(3); and
(2) a fine under this title or imprisonment for not more than one year, or both, in any other case.
(c) In this section--
(1) the term `restricted buildings or grounds' means any posted, cordoned off, or otherwise restricted area--
(A) of the White House or its grounds, or the Vice President's official residence or its grounds;
(B) of a building or grounds where the President or other person protected by the Secret Service is or will be temporarily visiting; or
(C) of a building or grounds so restricted in conjunction with an event designated as a special event of national significance; and
(2) the term `other person protected by the Secret Service' means any person whom the United States Secret Service is authorized to protect under section 3056 of this title or by Presidential memorandum, when such person has not declined such protection.'.

Speaker of the House of Representatives.
Vice President of the United States and
President of the Senate.

http://doctorbulldog.files.wordpress.com/2009/08/obama-visit-014.jpg
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-9v31puVRFz0/TrhLo7lP7rI/AAAAAAAAACs/myBc9zqDvE4/s1600/Tree+of+liberty.jpg