PDA

View Full Version : Hit over the head with their slate (Massachusetts)

sailingaway
05-03-2012, 11:14 AM
There's a reason slates aren't used much anymore for roofing. They look strong, but over time they loosen and unless perfectly fastened, they slip and fall — hitting passing people on the head.

Several prominent bystanders were slammed by the collapse of the "Romney slate" at caucuses held statewide last Saturday to elect delegates to the 2012 Tampa GOP convention.

Minority Leader Brad Jones deserved the honor for his work in electing new state reps. Sheriff Lew Evangelides did yeoman work for the Romney campaign. But, like Kerry Healey and Charlie Baker, they were all swept away when the "Romney" delegate slates were outvoted by Ron Paul supporters and grass-roots activists. The home state convention delegation of the GOP nominee will be showcased, but the cast will not be the one the campaign had planned.

Although no longer on the state committee, I had emailed Chairman Bob Maginn and other executive board members warning that we didn't have such anointed slates in 2008 and it could actually depress turnout among Romney supporters who weren't "chosen." One board member wrote back — "I think the Romney folks want to be SURE the delegates elected support Mitt 100 percent, and that is why they waited so long to release their slates of delegates. Sometimes it helps to thin (delegate hopefuls) out by telling them that it will cost them at least $3,000 to attend, with travel, hotel and registration fees, not to mention meals. The hotels in Tampa require a five-night minimum that week, and it costs about $300 per night! Four years ago, the Ron Paul kids (most of them were of college age) did a great job of organizing, and got enough of their people to the caucuses to elect a nice number as delegates or alternates from Massachusetts. The Romney team won't let that happen again, if possible. There are other things to vote on at the National Convention, such as rules and procedures, and too many of the Ron Paul voters could cause trouble in a convention that is to be Mitt's 'showcase.'" But the strategy to use top-down control to guarantee results is no longer a feasible one, if it ever was.

I understand they DID try that 'it will cost you $3000' to dissuade people last weekend -- but it didn't work.

a lot more at link: http://www.capecodonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20120503/OPINION/205030306/-1/OPINION0306

FSP-Rebel
05-03-2012, 11:31 AM
Since this is going to be the most interesting national convention in ages I wonder if the media will actually report on it. If for some reason I get picked as a national delegate, it won't cost me $300 a night, my nearby accommodations are free.

Kotin
05-03-2012, 11:37 AM
Lol

PatriotOne
05-03-2012, 12:14 PM
Sometimes it helps to thin (delegate hopefuls) out by telling them that it will cost them at least $3,000 to attend

Ironically enough, I imagine that disuaded non-RP supporters more than the ones who would walk on glass 3000 miles to get to Tampa to represent Paul.

truthhope
05-03-2012, 12:31 PM
I got a hotel room on reserve for $75 a night on a discount, and its 20 miles away but I figure I can get there in a cab with the money I save off the hotel room!

FSP-Rebel
05-03-2012, 12:33 PM
Sometimes it helps to thin (delegate hopefuls) out by telling them that it will cost them at least $3,000 to attend

Ironically enough, I imagine that disuaded non-RP supporters more than the ones who would walk on glass 3000 miles to get to Tampa to represent Paul.
lol, burn

SpiritOf1776_J4
05-03-2012, 12:36 PM
We're staying in a nice hotel, and paying $200 a night, but this is a really nice hotel. If you book early, it shouldn't cost you anywhere near that.

There are also much cheaper alternatives nearby, and also bed and breakfasts, and also a lot of campgrounds.

sailingaway
05-03-2012, 12:37 PM
I got a hotel room on reserve for $75 a night on a discount, and its 20 miles away but I figure I can get there in a cab with the money I save off the hotel room!

tell others where the place is and you can car pool in a rental car cheaper than a cab....

Occam's Banana
05-03-2012, 01:02 PM

Exactly. They *still* just don't "get it" ...

PatriotOne
05-03-2012, 01:14 PM
Exactly. They *still* just don't "get it" ...

They really, really, really don't get it. That I am sure of.