PDA

View Full Version : Look How One Of Glen Becks Sponsors Tried To Pass The Buck

Chester Copperpot
11-15-2007, 04:13 PM
Got this from Jos A banks earlier today the clothier.. Theyre a sponsor of Glen Beck... So I told them quite frankly that I will never buy another suit from then as long as theyre sponsors of Glen Beck and would also tell my friends and family not to either.

here is their reply:
Thank you for your email. "We do not place any advertising to support any program content or to endorse any philosophy or agenda. We place ads according to the specific viewership numbers that allow us to reach our customers. In this case, we advertise on CNN which is viewed by a large amount of our customers. We have no influence on programming content, nor would it be appropriate for us to have any. Therefore, it is most appropriate for any individual viewer to address concerns about the programming content on CNN directly to CNN. If an individual viewer is not happy with programming content then they can withhold their viewership. Viewership is what we buy when we place ads. If the viewers go away then placing the ads is much less attractive to us. We believe that individual viewers communicating directly with the media about their concerns regarding media content is a much more effective strategy for the viewer than communicating with the advertisers." If we can be of further assistance please feel free to contact us at any time.

Sincerely,
Your Friends at JoS. A. Bank
500 Hanover Pike
Hampstead, MD 21074
(800) 999-7472
(410) 239-4911
http://www.josbank.com

reaver
11-15-2007, 04:16 PM
Thats a well written reply. I would expect the other sponsors to reply in a similar fashion.

garrettwombat
11-15-2007, 04:17 PM
well thats it, stop watching television everyone... its bad for you anyways

Adamsa
11-15-2007, 04:19 PM
This is the answer any of them use when they only get one or a few complaints. They'd move if hundreds or thousands complained because it might then effect their image.

aksmith
11-15-2007, 04:20 PM
How did you contact them? I don't see a "contact us" on their homepage.

I will second your thoughts. Sure, they can blow you off and blame it on CNN. But ultimately, we can't affect the ratings, we can only promise to affect their business. I don't have a ratings box, but I sure have a high limit credit card and a need for clothing and the ability to drive past Joseph A. Bank's to the Men's Warehouse to fulfill my needs.

quickmike
11-15-2007, 04:27 PM
Actually they are correct. Its the free market at its best. If you dont like something, dont watch it and dont support the sponsors. If the majority of the people feel the same way, the sponsors business will drop and they will pull their ads because they are ineffective at making them a profit. As long as people continue to watch, they will continue to place ads with his show, reguardless of his views.

I myself refuse to watch Glen Beck. I saw him once a while back for about 4 minutes and he seemed like someone I would want to smash in the face if I ever met him, so I just turned it off and never watched again.

Simple

SeanEdwards
11-15-2007, 04:28 PM
Nice try, but it isn't going to work.

Consumers have tons more choices of sources of clothing than they have in choices of mainstream media. Our power as consumers is considerable with sponsors, and practically nill with an outfit like CNN.

Make Jos. A Bank suffer, and they will get Beck to stfu, believe it. It won't even take that many interactions like this with the public. If 10k people email Jos. A Bank and tell them their ads on CNN are costing them customers they will react.

Grandson of Liberty
11-15-2007, 04:29 PM
I'd send another quick reply: "Okay, just so we're clear, you've lost my business."

adpierce
11-15-2007, 04:33 PM
Got this from Jos A banks earlier today the clothier.. Theyre a sponsor of Glen Beck... So I told them quite frankly that I will never buy another suit from then as long as theyre sponsors of Glen Beck and would also tell my friends and family not to either.

here is their reply:
Thank you for your email. "We do not place any advertising to support any program content or to endorse any philosophy or agenda. We place ads according to the specific viewership numbers that allow us to reach our customers. In this case, we advertise on CNN which is viewed by a large amount of our customers. We have no influence on programming content, nor would it be appropriate for us to have any. Therefore, it is most appropriate for any individual viewer to address concerns about the programming content on CNN directly to CNN. If an individual viewer is not happy with programming content then they can withhold their viewership. Viewership is what we buy when we place ads. If the viewers go away then placing the ads is much less attractive to us. We believe that individual viewers communicating directly with the media about their concerns regarding media content is a much more effective strategy for the viewer than communicating with the advertisers." If we can be of further assistance please feel free to contact us at any time.

Sincerely,
Your Friends at JoS. A. Bank
500 Hanover Pike
Hampstead, MD 21074
(800) 999-7472
(410) 239-4911
http://www.josbank.com

That's crap, they should also consider the content of the show they're advertising on. Would they advertise for a neo-Nazi television show if it had hundreds of thousands of viewers weekly? Absolutely not, they would be funding the propagation of fascist ideology, and it would be reprehensible. Any drop in profits would be a hit any kind of responsible company would be glad to accept in that case. In this case we have a so-called journalist, Glenn Beck, calling peaceful supporters of a political candidate terrorists. He's playing the terrorist card on innocent and peaceful Americans and it is about one of the lowest things a journalist has ever done in my opinion. Any responsible company should realize that they cannot continue to fund a program which spouts this kind of garbage out, even if his viewership is significant. Hit the sponsors where it hurts, the pocketbook, they'll begin to realize that it's not worth sponsoring this kind of garbage.

walt
11-15-2007, 04:35 PM
Here's a Fax: (410) 239-5868

Danny Molina
11-15-2007, 04:37 PM
It worked for getting Imus off the air...

American
11-15-2007, 04:44 PM
I got this from LLBean,

Thank you for contacting L.L.Bean with your concerns.
L.L. Bean did not specifically sponsor or purchase advertising time during the CNN television program "Glenn Beck." The company does very limited television advertising and we instruct network and cable stations to show our commercial at a time when a large number of people may see it. Most television shows are not seen at the same time around the country. For that reason, we do not select specific programs. Instead, we instruct television and cable stations/networks on a broader range of criteria such as showing the commercial during "prime time" evening hours, number of times shown in one evening, specific nights of the week, etc.
It has always been L.L. Bean's mission to provide information to our customers on our products and services while recognizing a responsibility to, and a deep respect for, all of our customer groups. L.L.Bean does not support any candidates for public office, and we do not take positions on social policy issues unless we believe there to be an overriding business or economic need. We are very concerned that you felt compelled to write to us on this issue and hope that the information I have provided gives you a better understanding of our television advertising criteria.
Again, thank you for taking the time to contact us. You are a valued customer and your opinion is very important to us.
Sincerely,

Carolyn Beem
Manager, Public Affairs

walt
11-15-2007, 04:45 PM
It worked for getting Imus off the air...

bingo

LibertyEagle
11-15-2007, 04:47 PM
Research how the one man, a doctor, brought down Phil Donahue, by going after the sponsors. I'm sure if you google it, you can find the information. ONE man did it. ONE.

American
11-15-2007, 04:52 PM
My email was basically saying I could not find it in myself to purchase the products or services knowing that my purchase pays for Glen Becks salary.

I sent them this back from the reply up top ^^

Thanks for your reply, as I understand your goal was to advertise your products to a large number of people. Still doesn’t change that if I buy your products it pays Glen Becks salary.

Its unfortunate that you don’t seem to mind being advertised during the “Jerry Springer” of news shows on CNN/Headline News.

Thanks for your reply.

aksmith
11-16-2007, 09:08 PM
My email was basically saying I could not find it in myself to purchase the products or services knowing that my purchase pays for Glen Becks salary.

I sent them this back from the reply up top ^^

You still didn't say the magic words. "Until you no longer advertise on Glen Beck's show, YOU HAVE LOST MY BUSINESS."

Jojo
11-16-2007, 09:11 PM
I think they're right. It makes sense. Just don't watch tv anymore. I turned of the evil mind control box over 2 years ago.

Indy Vidual
11-16-2007, 09:13 PM
Research how the one man, a doctor, brought down Phil Donahue, by going after the sponsors. I'm sure if you google it, you can find the information. ONE man did it. ONE.

Do you know why the guy was protesting?