PDA

View Full Version : Libertarian Party National Convention Coverage

Shotdown1027
05-03-2012, 01:48 AM
I know not everyone here is even a libertarian and most of us are Republicans. Nevertheless, if the eventual nominee is Mitt Romney (God forbid), then we'll all be wanting someone to vote for in November. For the most part, write-ins for Ron Paul won't even be counted and recorded, so the LP is one of the voting outlets for Ron Paul supporters.

The LP-NC is getting live coverage from http://www.IndependentPoliticalReport.com and http://Reason.com/blog

Remember that Gov. Johnson is running for the Presidential nomination. He's essentially a lock, but the convention will be fun to follow nonetheless.

Indy Vidual
05-03-2012, 03:24 PM
Which city this time?

camp_steveo
05-03-2012, 03:30 PM
Ron Paul is the best, but if he is not on the ballot I plan to vote for Gary Johnson.

I really hope I get to vote for Ron Paul in November.

Lucille
05-03-2012, 03:32 PM
Summerlin, NV.

You can watch it on C-Span: http://www.independentpoliticalreport.com/2012/05/libertarian-party-national-convention-to-be-broadcast-on-c-span/

On Friday night, from 9pm until 11pm (Eastern timezone), C-SPAN will provide coverage which it is billing as: “Road to the Whitehouse: 2012 Libertarian Nat’l Convention & Presidential Debate”.

Then on Saturday, C-SPAN will be covering the national convention for the majority of the day under the billing: “Road to the Whitehouse: 2012 Libertarian Nat’l Convention – Speeches & Votes”.

If you’re a reader who is tuning in to watch, we’ll likely maintain a live-blog and chat here at IPR for those who couldn’t make it to the convention.

Shotdown1027
05-03-2012, 04:27 PM
It's essentially in Las Vegas.

There's already been some interesting fireworks. Gary Johnson seems likely to win on the first ballot and Judge Jim Gray of California is to be his VP.

Indy Vidual
05-03-2012, 05:49 PM
It's essentially in Las Vegas.

There's already been some interesting fireworks. Gary Johnson seems likely to win on the first ballot and Judge Jim Gray of California is to be his VP.

Much better than 4 years ago. :)

NoOneButPaul
05-03-2012, 05:58 PM
I hope Gary Johnson comes out after winning and tells all these people what they need to hear...

"If the Libertarian philosophy is going to win out in the end you must come back into the GOP and help the Ron Paul Republicans, together we cannot be stopped."

Peace&Freedom
05-03-2012, 10:29 PM
I hope Gary Johnson comes out after winning and tells all these people what they need to hear...

"If the Libertarian philosophy is going to win out in the end you must come back into the GOP and help the Ron Paul Republicans, together we cannot be stopped."

That would be a flawed appeal, because it would arrogantly presume everybody came to the LP from the GOP, which is largely false. Many in the LP started out as Independents or Democrats. Ron Paul supporters from all parties need to come together to help to transform the entire political spectrum, not just the Republican party. Then we cannot be stopped, because the old establishment will not have an effective perch from which to hold us back.

Agorism
05-03-2012, 10:37 PM
The Romney people could try to stop Johnson if they perceive him as a good nominee because they don't want someone who they think will hurt their candidate vs. Obama.

speciallyblend
05-03-2012, 11:27 PM
kinda like watching pee wee football worthless.

speciallyblend
05-03-2012, 11:28 PM
Ron Paul is the best, but if he is not on the ballot I plan to vote for Gary Johnson.

yeah i hear ya, i am sure not voting romney! If they count write ins in colorado i will vote ron paul if not i will vote GJ over the white obama.

libertarian4321
05-04-2012, 07:31 AM

Same here.

I want to vote for Ron Paul, but if he isn't running, I'll vote for Gary Johnson.

speciallyblend
05-04-2012, 08:22 AM
how many folks showed to that convention. Out of those folks how many joined the gop? They deserve obama, just saying. The more i think about it. I want to bitch slap anyone that didn't join the gop to help Ron Paul Win the gop primary. NOBP. Ron Paul 2012

Austrian Econ Disciple
05-04-2012, 08:27 AM
I'd much rather have Wrights than Johnson, and Paul than either, but I'm not expecting a miracle or anything (LP realizing it is supposed to be a libertarian based party).

Tudo
05-04-2012, 09:07 AM
I was a republican for approx 1 week while the Fla primaries took place and promptly changed back to LP when done.

P.S. OT to Mr Specialtyblend, my fav is afpak k

heh heh

Feeding the Abscess
05-04-2012, 09:51 AM
I'd much rather have Wrights than Johnson, and Paul than either, but I'm not expecting a miracle or anything (LP realizing it is supposed to be a libertarian based party).

This.

Shotdown1027
05-04-2012, 05:18 PM
Wrights isn't even going to come close. I'm thinking 60-40 in favor of Johnson on the first ballot.

Lucille
05-05-2012, 12:23 PM
Is anyone watching? Lots of talk on the floor about Ron.

LibertyEagle
05-05-2012, 12:31 PM
In how many states does the Libertarian Party have ballot access?

Lucille
05-05-2012, 12:37 PM
2012 Ballot Access

The 2012 Presidential candidate will appear on the following state ballots:

Arizona

Arkansas

California

Colorado

Florida

Georgia

Hawaii

Idaho

Indiana

Kansas

Louisiana

Maryland

Michigan

Mississippi

Missouri

Montana

Nebraska

Nevada

New Mexico

North Carolina

North Dakota

Ohio

Oregon

South Carolina

South Dakota

Texas

Utah

Vermont

Wyoming

http://www.lp.org/2012-ballot-access

Johnson is running away with it. The LP purists can't be happy with another GOPer, though he's better than Barr.

LibertyEagle
05-05-2012, 12:51 PM
I'm a conservative and Johnson is way too leftist for me. I am having a hard time believing that he is alright with the Libertarian Party. I watched the debate early today and Wrights sounded way better to me. Johnson seems like a lite version of what we have right now.

brandon
05-05-2012, 12:54 PM
Who are the candidates this year? Is WAR running?

Indy Vidual
05-05-2012, 12:55 PM
These are (probably) states where they don't have to collect sigs after the convention.
The LP always gets on at least 45 ballots, sometimes 100%.

2012 Ballot Access

The 2012 Presidential candidate will appear on the following state ballots:

Arizona

Arkansas

California

Colorado

Florida

Georgia

Hawaii

Idaho

Indiana

Kansas

Louisiana

Maryland

Michigan

Mississippi

Missouri

Montana

Nebraska

Nevada

New Mexico

North Carolina

North Dakota

Ohio

Oregon

South Carolina

South Dakota

Texas

Utah

Vermont

Wyoming

http://www.lp.org/2012-ballot-access

Johnson is running away with it. The LP purists can't be happy with another GOPer, though he's better than Barr.

brandon
05-05-2012, 12:56 PM
Johnson isn't too leftist for me, but he just seems like an airhead. He really doesn't seem to have any intellectual underpinnings to his positions. It seems like the guy smoked a bit too much pot over the years.

LibertyEagle
05-05-2012, 12:57 PM

No. Gary Johnson and Lee Wrights are the main ones. Sorry, but I don't remember the others, but War wasn't one.

Indy Vidual
05-05-2012, 12:57 PM

Somehow WAR seems to have gone away. :)

Drex
05-05-2012, 12:58 PM
Anybody catch Rupert Boneham?

LibertyEagle
05-05-2012, 01:00 PM
Well, they chose Johnson. So much for the LIbertarian Party this time around, as far as I am concerned.

Lucille
05-05-2012, 01:02 PM
These are (probably) states where they don't have to collect sigs after the convention.
The LP always gets on at least 45 ballots, sometimes 100%.

I was just coming to delete that post. They claim Gary will be on the ballot in all 50 states.

Via a become a delegate email:
If Governor Johnson earns the Libertarian nomination at the May convention, he will be on the November ballot in all 50 states, and will give the voters in each of those 50 states an opportunity to vote for a credible, proven and principled alternative to the ‘business-as-usual’ choices offered by the two so-called major parties.

Anybody catch Rupert Boneham?

I did! He's running for Indiana Governor, huh? I knew he was running for office but I didn't know it was for Gov.

Jingles
05-05-2012, 01:04 PM
I wanted RJ Harris. Now I want Lee Wrights. I'm okay with Gary Johnson though.

If Ron Paul is not on the ballot I will vote for the LP nominee if it is Lee Wrights or Gary Johnson. I won't vote for Bill Still if my life depended on it though (I absolutely can't stand his monetary policy). Carl Person is probably the most boring candidate I have seen since Tim Pawlenty.

LibertyEagle
05-05-2012, 01:05 PM
Johnson won.

RP Supporter
05-05-2012, 01:13 PM
I think I'll be voting Johnson. He seems good enough. Nowhere near Ron Paul, but maybe he can crack a few percent.

Shotdown1027
05-05-2012, 02:40 PM
Seems like Johnson/Gray will be the ticket that soaks up most of the Ron Paul support in November. Virgil Good/Jim Clymer will probably get a lot of the voters who identify themselves as more "conservative", but in my experience that's maybe 1/4th of the hardcore Ron Paulers.

ronpaulfollower999
05-05-2012, 02:50 PM
Dumb. What's with the fake Libertarians getting nominated?

Wrights was way better. Johnson wants a fair tax.

Jingles
05-05-2012, 03:11 PM
Dumb. What's with the fake Libertarians getting nominated?

Wrights was way better. Johnson wants a fair tax.

The FairTax is my biggest qualm with Johnson. I don't want to replace that IRS with anything. I don't like the idea of taxes upon goods and services for the state can raise/lower them to try to encourage specific behavior. Hence why if "illegal" drug were legal that I oppose taxes upon them (the state would tax them to death to try and change behavior to wage basically a second drug war... as they do with ciggs and alcohol). I want to abolish taxes not impose new ones.

John F Kennedy III
05-05-2012, 03:50 PM
Who are the LP candidates and how do they compare to Johnson?

mport1
05-05-2012, 04:01 PM
Another nail in the coffin of the LP. I guess I'll either write in Ron Paul or stay home.

trey4sports
05-05-2012, 04:09 PM
i think Johnson will do very well. I'm hoping he cracks 5% in November but that is somewhat of a pipedream.

kcchiefs6465
05-05-2012, 04:10 PM
Seems like Johnson/Gray will be the ticket that soaks up most of the Ron Paul support in November. Virgil Good/Jim Clymer will probably get a lot of the voters who identify themselves as more "conservative", but in my experience that's maybe 1/4th of the hardcore Ron Paulers.
I EXPECT the vast majority of Paul supporters to adhere to NOBP. Let's just compromise guys? Romney's destined to win. :mad: I refuse to compromise between bad and evil. I will be writing in Paul NO MATTER WHAT. TF is with some supporters' defeatist attitudes? :mad::( This country will be gone beyond repair if we do not SUPPORT RON PAUL'S PRESIDENCY. DAMN.

seawolf
05-05-2012, 04:15 PM
Well at least we can stop talking about Ron Paul being a third party candidate. The Libertarian Party was the only real avenue for him to run as a third party candidate.

It is Victory in Tampa or the Run for President is over.

kcchiefs6465
05-05-2012, 04:19 PM
Well at least we can stop talking about Ron Paul being a third party candidate. The Libertarian Party was the only real avenue for him to run as a third party candidate.

It is Victory in Tampa or the Run for President is over.
My hope will be over as well.

Shotdown1027
05-05-2012, 04:59 PM
The "NOBP" thing is really fucking stupid.

Paul will not be on the ballot in November, barring a very major surprise at the national convention. Writing his name in will accomplish nothing--as in most states write-ins must be certified by the candidates and therefore those votes will not even be counted. They will, literally, be deposited into the trash can right away.

At least vote for the LP or CP candidate and help them to retain ballot access, offer alternatives, and fight really awful ballot access laws. Not to mention giving us options to vote for in November when/if our candidates lose.

Essentially, I think of the LP/CP as a tool of discipline. If the GOP doesn't nominate a candidate that is good enough for me, not only will they not get my vote, they'll get a vote in opposition.

Shotdown1027
05-05-2012, 05:00 PM
And no, WAR wasnt around much. He was at the convention and spoke at a Johnson fundraiser, but he was low-profile.

kcchiefs6465
05-05-2012, 05:39 PM
The "NOBP" thing is really fucking stupid.

(Paul will not be on the ballot in November), barring a very major surprise at the national convention. Writing his name in will accomplish nothing--as in most states write-ins must be certified by the candidates and therefore those votes will not even be counted. They will, literally, be deposited into the trash can right away.

At least vote for the LP or CP candidate and help them to retain ballot access, offer alternatives, and fight really awful ballot access laws. Not to mention giving us options to vote for in November when/if our candidates lose.

Essentially, I think of the LP/CP as a tool of discipline. If the GOP doesn't nominate a candidate that is good enough for me, not only will they not get my vote, they'll get a vote in opposition.
My response for the parenthesis is this; Of course he won't be on a ballot when the majority of you (not a literal you, [though in all probability] but a general you) respond to negative media bias and become pessimistic. THIS RACE ISN'T OVER, NO MATTER WHAT NEWS AGENCIES CLAIM. It takes years (decades) to acquire trust. Ron Paul is the last of a dying breed. A true patriot who I can put my trust in. The only wasted vote is a Romney/Obama vote, or Gary Johnson or Virgil Goode for that matter. I will not compromise. I will sleep heavenly once my vote for Ron Paul is recorded. And if it isn't, it is far from a wasted vote. Maybe they will begin to see the depth of this movement when 1,000,000+ write in Ron Paul. In all honesty, FUCK the establishment. It is compromise that ruined this country.

ronpaulfollower999
05-05-2012, 05:57 PM
WAR actually got some boos when it was announced he got a vote for nominee. I lol'd.

Shotdown1027
05-05-2012, 06:44 PM
My response for the parenthesis is this; Of course he won't be on a ballot when the majority of you (not a literal you, [though in all probability] but a general you) respond to negative media bias and become pessimistic. THIS RACE ISN'T OVER, NO MATTER WHAT NEWS AGENCIES CLAIM. It takes years (decades) to acquire trust. Ron Paul is the last of a dying breed. A true patriot who I can put my trust in. The only wasted vote is a Romney/Obama vote, or Gary Johnson or Virgil Goode for that matter. I will not compromise. I will sleep heavenly once my vote for Ron Paul is recorded. And if it isn't, it is far from a wasted vote. Maybe they will begin to see the depth of this movement when 1,000,000+ write in Ron Paul. In all honesty, FUCK the establishment. It is compromise that ruined this country.

The race isn't over. You're right. But when it is, there is some chance (I'd say a good chance) that Paul won't be the nominee.

"I will sleep heavenly once my vote for Ron Paul is recorded."

That's just the problem. Your vote will not be recorded. I'm quite sure most Ron Paul supporters do not realize this, but in the VAST majority of states, you cannot certify a write-in candidate without their permission and if not certified, the write-ins are not counted or recorded.

You're essentially saying you will not vote for anyone who is not Ron Paul. I mean Virgil Goode (arguably) and Gary Johnson (less arguably) are members of our movement! Johnson endorsed Paul in 2008, Goode donated to him.

Lucille
05-06-2012, 12:08 PM
I watched some of it. There were good speeches on why Wrights should have been the VP. I agree. It's too bad the delegates didn't vote for a more balanced ticket. One guy invoked Ron, asked why we love him, and it's because of the message, and principle. Another said something like, "Lee Wrights is a libertarian of the libertarian wing of the Libertarian Party..." You'd think after the Barr-Root disaster, they would have thrown the purists a bone.

Ron was brought up a LOT, and cheers always ensued, and we didn't even watch all that much. Johnson said something about after RP is kicked in the teeth by the GOP, we'd vote LP, though he added he still hoped Ron would get the nom.

ETA: Ron got one write-in (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2012_Libertarian_National_Convention). I was watching at the time. :)

Liberty_Mike
05-06-2012, 12:16 PM
I really like Gary Johnson, and I'm a fan of this Johnson/Gray ticket. However, I really wish Ron Paul would have worked something out with the LP and recieved their ballot spot in 2012. Although I like Gary and Judge Gray, Ron Paul would get 100x the votes to the LP this election cycle.

rpwi
05-06-2012, 12:24 PM
Gary Johnson is a disaster. For example he believes in humanitarian wars and talks is only lukewarm when it comes to cutting military spending:

http://www.libertarianrepublican.net/2010/12/gary-johnson-breaks-with-ron-paul-over.html

Johnson

told TheDC that he supports Americas efforts to aid African troops in tracking down Lord’s Resistance Army leader Joseph Kony and that he wouldn’t rule out leaving behind American bases in Afghanistan.

Johnson said that while he wants to end the war in Afghanistan, that doesn’t mean he would necessarily stop drone attacks against terrorists in Pakistan or Yemen, even though he believes they create more enemies than they kill.

“I would want leave all options on the table,” Johnson said....

“So now you have the U.S. bases that exist in those areas, do we shut down those military bases? Perhaps not,” he suggested, taking an odd position for a supposed anti-war candidate.

“I would completely withdraw our military presence,” he further expounded. “Does withdrawing our military presence from Afghanistan mean that we would still have a base open in Afghanistan if they allowed us to keep a base open? Perhaps.”....

But despite Johnson saying he thinks that the Middle East is a region of the world the United States should maintain a military presence in, he contended that there are “no military threats” to the U.S. anywhere in the world.

“As I’m sitting here right now, there are no military threats against the United States,” he said, stipulating that America should be “vigilant” against terrorist attacks on the homeland.

Last year, The Weekly Standard reported that Johnson told the publication that he supported the concept of waging wars for humanitarian reasons despite wanting to cut the military budget by nearly half. Asked whether he stood by that, Johnson said he did.

http://reason.com/blog/2012/04/11/gary-johnsons-foreign-policy-libertarian

He's a fake libertarian. In fact the poor libertarian party has nominated nothing but fakes since Ron Paul and Harry Browne were on the ticket :(

rpwi
05-06-2012, 12:30 PM
Here is Gary Johnson on the Fed:

On his campaign page, he further states, "We should restrict Federal Reserve policy to maintaining price stability, not bailing out financial firms or propping up the housing sector." In the YouTube interview, he says, "The Federal Reserve's original mandate was price stability. Added on to that was unemployment, or [rather] employment, which I think are at odds with one another. [The] Federal Reserve and central banks should be about a strong U.S. dollar and not a weak U.S. dollar. That's what we have. We have zero percent interest rates, because let's face it. If we didn't have zero percent interest rates right now we would be in the midst of that monetary collapse because of the debt that Americans hold and can't repay."

Translation to English...he will keep the Fed and let it keep manipulating the economy to 'stabilize' prices. He doesn't know how the Fed works...and would quickly become a pawn of the bankers who would take advantage of his ignorance.

Libertarian party needs to wake up... No more nominating the biggest name GOP politician who just has libertarian leanings on a couple of issues!

John F Kennedy III
05-06-2012, 12:41 PM
Ron Paul will be the 45th President of the United States. I have already accepted this inevitability. You should too.

Lucille
05-06-2012, 12:42 PM
+rep JFKIII

HOLLYWOOD
05-06-2012, 12:45 PM
WILL the Ron Paul Tea Party Express rally from AUtin, TX going to be broadcasted LIVE? Starts soon...

Krzysztof Lesiak
05-06-2012, 01:04 PM
I wish Lee Wrights had one. I really do not trust Gary Johnson, especially on foreign policy. It saddens me that he won such high percentage of the votes. At least when the neocon Goode ran for the CP nod, he was challenged and barely eked out a win, with 50.37%.

Hopefully the LP gets its act together after this year.

John F Kennedy III
05-06-2012, 01:46 PM
I wish Lee Wrights had one. I really do not trust Gary Johnson, especially on foreign policy. It saddens me that he won such high percentage of the votes. At least when the neocon Goode ran for the CP nod, he was challenged and barely eked out a win, with 50.37%.

Hopefully the LP gets its act together after this year.

I don't trust Gary Johnson either.

DerailingDaTrain
05-06-2012, 02:26 PM

What's the difference between Wrights and Johnson? Do they disagree on any issues?

Shotdown1027
05-06-2012, 06:34 PM
Johnson is pretty anti-war...why would you be so suspicious of him on that issue?

Feeding the Abscess
05-06-2012, 07:07 PM
Johnson is pretty anti-war...why would you be so suspicious of him on that issue?

A simple reading of the rpwi's post would suffice.

azxd
05-06-2012, 07:24 PM
Ron Paul will be the 45th President of the United States. I have already accepted this inevitability. You should too.I knew there was something we could agree about :cool: