PDA

View Full Version : The Top Five Special Interest Groups Lobbying to Keep Marijuana Illegal

Anti Federalist
05-02-2012, 07:25 PM
The Top Five Special Interest Groups Lobbying to Keep Marijuana Illegal

http://truth-out.org/news/item/8854-the-top-five-special-interest-groups-lobbying-to-keep-marijuana-illegal

Last year, over 850,000 people in America were arrested for marijuana-related crimes. Despite public opinion, the medical community, and human rights experts all moving in favor of relaxing marijuana prohibition laws, little has changed in terms of policy.

There have been many great books and articles detailing the history of the drug war. Part of America’s fixation with keeping the leafy green plant illegal is rooted in cultural and political clashes from the past.

However, we at Republic Report think it’s worth showing that there are entrenched interest groups that are spending large sums of money to keep our broken drug laws on the books:

1.) Police Unions: Police departments across the country have become dependent on federal drug war grants to finance their budget. In March, we published a story revealing that a police union lobbyist in California coordinated the effort to defeat Prop 19, a ballot measure in 2010 to legalize marijuana, while helping his police department clients collect tens of millions in federal marijuana-eradication grants. And it’s not just in California. Federal lobbying disclosures show that other police union lobbyists have pushed for stiffer penalties for marijuana-related crimes nationwide.

2.) Private Prisons Corporations: Private prison corporations make millions by incarcerating people who have been imprisoned for drug crimes, including marijuana. As Republic Report’s Matt Stoller noted last year, Corrections Corporation of America, one of the largest for-profit prison companies, revealed in a regulatory filing that continuing the drug war is part in parcel to their business strategy. Prison companies have spent millions bankrolling pro-drug war politicians and have used secretive front groups, like the American Legislative Exchange Council, to pass harsh sentencing requirements for drug crimes.

3.) Alcohol and Beer Companies: Fearing competition for the dollars Americans spend on leisure, alcohol and tobacco interests have lobbied to keep marijuana out of reach. For instance, the California Beer & Beverage Distributors contributed campaign contributions to a committee set up to prevent marijuana from being legalized and taxed.

4.) Pharmaceutical Corporations: Like the sin industries listed above, pharmaceutical interests would like to keep marijuana illegal so American don’t have the option of cheap medical alternatives to their products. Howard Wooldridge, a retired police officer who now lobbies the government to relax marijuana prohibition laws, told Republic Report that next to police unions, the “second biggest opponent on Capitol Hill is big PhRMA” because marijuana can replace “everything from Advil to Vicodin and other expensive pills.”

5.) Prison Guard Unions: Prison guard unions have a vested interest in keeping people behind bars just like for-profit prison companies. In 2008, the California Correctional Peace Officers Association spent a whopping $1 million to defeat a measure that would have “reduced sentences and parole times for nonviolent drug offenders while emphasizing drug treatment over prison.”

kcchiefs6465
05-02-2012, 07:35 PM
I figured.

JebSanderson
05-02-2012, 07:43 PM
Hypothetically speaking, if I grew marijuana I'd rather they keep it illegal too. High risk = high reward. If I hypothetically were a grower, I'd hypothetically make a lot less money if it were legal.

kill the banks
05-02-2012, 07:47 PM
interesting for sure

kcchiefs6465
05-02-2012, 07:54 PM
Hypothetically speaking, if I grew marijuana I'd rather they keep it illegal too. High risk = high reward. If I hypothetically were a grower, I'd hypothetically make a lot less money if it were legal.
Lol. Well hypothetically speaking, if I were talking about something I shouldn't be talking about on the internet, I'd be using Peerblock. RPF functions flawlessly with this ISP blocker. Although I'd never condone those "damn dirty dopers" doing what they wish on their property. :rolleyes:

Anti Federalist
05-02-2012, 07:56 PM

Yeah, but the downside is that whole "getting dead or thrown in the rape cage by cops" thingy.

Bummer.

JebSanderson
05-02-2012, 07:56 PM
Yeah, but the downside is that whole "getting dead or thrown in the rape cage by cops" thingy.

Bummer.

Yeah, hence the high risk part.

LadyBastiat
05-02-2012, 08:08 PM
I only have one thing to disagree with and that is that marijuana can replace everything from Advil to Vicodin. I take narcotics regularly and have compared the effectiveness of the two. For me, the opiates do a better job. This statement is minor in comparison to the harm done everyday that people are denied the choice to make that decision for themselves.

Brian4Liberty
05-02-2012, 08:09 PM
Nothing surprising there. Follow the money.

The irony is that the last marijuana "legalize and regulate" Proposition that failed in California basically gave something of a monopoly to the grower who was backing the Prop.

Brian4Liberty
05-02-2012, 08:11 PM
I only have one thing to disagree with and that is that marijuana can replace everything from Advil to Vicodin.

Of course. The "marijuana cures everything" argument is just as disingenuous as the arguments that the pro-criminalization lobby makes.

tod evans
05-02-2012, 08:14 PM
The "just-us" system.....

Wonder if #6&7 are the bar assoc. and DA's office?

JebSanderson
05-02-2012, 08:15 PM
I only have one thing to disagree with and that is that marijuana can replace everything from Advil to Vicodin. I take narcotics regularly and have compared the effectiveness of the two. For me, the opiates do a better job. This statement is minor in comparison to the harm done everyday that people are denied the choice to make that decision for themselves.

That's very true, opiates are much better painkillers than marijuana. Marijuana, in my experience, does not really relieve pain as much as it helps with discomfort.

tod evans
05-02-2012, 08:17 PM

If you're looking for a pain killer it's really hard to beat opiates.

There's a reason morphine is still the DOC for every doctor suffering from pain.

Anti Federalist
05-02-2012, 08:18 PM

Which is why, as far as I'm concerned, opiates should be as readily available as pot.

Both are nothing but plant products.

GuerrillaXXI
05-02-2012, 08:19 PM
Good stuff, AF. This information, while perhaps not surprising to the liberty-minded, should be spread far and wide among the general population. These despicable lobbies should be mentioned by name whenever the subject of drug prohibition is debated in any format, from national TV to comments sections under Internet news stories.

Y'know, I'm not interested in drug use. I rarely even drink beer. But drug prohibition is still one of the aspects of the police state that pisses me off the most. The reason is the message it sends: "You don't even have ownership over your own body. You're government property, and we'll tell you what substances you can or can't ingest, even in private." This is nearly enough to make me do drugs just to spite the government -- just to prove that I can disobey. But I have other ways of doing that. :D

Hypothetically speaking, if I grew marijuana I'd rather they keep it illegal too. High risk = high reward. If I hypothetically were a grower, I'd hypothetically make a lot less money if it were legal.Absolutely. If I were in the business of selling drugs -- especially a drug like pot, which anybody can grow just about anywhere -- the last thing I'd want to see would be the end of drug prohibition. It would ruin my business.

phill4paul
05-02-2012, 08:20 PM
No surprise here, AF. Just confirmation. Thanks for the link.

Intoxiklown
05-02-2012, 08:24 PM

I have friends in the medical pot business, and they are making THOUSANDS. There is plenty of money in the legal marijuana business, plenty. May I suggest you take Scarface out of the DVD player?

tod evans
Which is why, as far as I'm concerned, opiates should be as readily available as pot.

Both are nothing but plant products.

Before the FDA you could walk into maw-n-paws general store and grab this off the shelf.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/1/1b/Laudanum.jpeg/220px-Laudanum.jpeg

John F Kennedy III

Everyone's body is different. I used to have high blood pressure, anxiety, depression and sincerely VIOLENT thoughts that took all my will power not to act upon. Once I started smoking marijuana that all went away. And I'm so much more productive now. It really helps me focus.

DerailingDaTrain
05-02-2012, 08:25 PM

Then you would be a hypothetical dick for lobbying to keep marijuana illegal because you couldn't make as much money off of it. You're using the same argument as the people currently lobbying against this.

JebSanderson
05-02-2012, 08:25 PM
I have friends in the medical pot business, and they are making THOUSANDS. There is plenty of money in the legal marijuana business, plenty. May I suggest you take Scarface out of the DVD player?

Yes, they are making a lot of money in the government controlled monopoly of medical marijuana. Just like pharmaceutical companies are making a lot of money in the FDA controlled drug business.

If you legalized marijuana the price would drop drastically. Eliminate the risk and the reward decreases.

kuckfeynes
05-02-2012, 08:26 PM
Best painkiller ever. (If by best, you mean most effective, that is.)

http://www.herbmuseum.ca/files/images/Bayer_bottle%20(1).jpg

brushfire
05-02-2012, 08:26 PM
I cant hear or read of this topic without hearing this song in the back of my mind.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6mPRUOFBQg

We see the BATF engaging in business with the drug cartels. This is fact. Its a conspiracy alright, against the American people!

JebSanderson
05-02-2012, 08:27 PM
Then you would be a hypothetical dick for lobbying to keep marijuana illegal because you couldn't make as much money off of it. You're using the same argument as the people currently lobbying against this.

It's not my argument. But I know a lot of growers who would be very pissed off if it was legalized

JebSanderson
05-02-2012, 08:28 PM
Everyone's body is different. I used to have high blood pressure, anxiety, depression and sincerely VIOLENT thoughts that took all my will power not to act upon. Once I started smoking marijuana that all went away. And I'm so much more productive now. It really helps me focus.

I don't think she was arguing that. She was saying that as far as painkillers go, opiates are much more effective than marijuana. And she's right.

DerailingDaTrain
05-02-2012, 08:30 PM
It's not my argument. But I know a lot of growers who would be very pissed off if it was legalized

They should get over it. It's not just about them.

You know what they could do? Open up a supply store for all the stuff the people who manufacture it need. Sell them all of that and make bank on all the people trying to cash in on the next gold rush. You think it was the people working their asses off in the river panning for gold that made it rich? Hell no! It was the people selling them the picks, shovels, boots, etc.

JebSanderson
05-02-2012, 08:33 PM
They should get over it. It's not just about them.

It's in their best interest to keep it illegal and I won't blame them for fighting for their best interest.

DerailingDaTrain
05-02-2012, 08:34 PM
It's in the pharmaceutical industry's best interest to keep it illegal and I won't blame them for fighting for their best interest.

Fixed for you. Does that sound right too?

Anti Federalist
05-02-2012, 08:35 PM

Bayer was initially reluctant to put aspirin on the market, as the general consensus at the time was that heroin was safer and a more effective painkiller.

kcchiefs6465
05-02-2012, 08:41 PM
Many a times I have wished they still sold cocaine elixir. Benzocaine just doesn't have the same effect for toothaches. Certain products for certain ailments. Marijuana is by far the safest and most effective way to go with minor aches, depression, anxiety, nausea, and a slew of other problems. The only way I would even consider heroin is if I was terminal and in extreme pain. And even then I'd still have to smoke marijuana to offeset the nausea etc.

LadyBastiat
05-02-2012, 08:46 PM

:lol: I absolutely love a Ron Paul supporters sense of humor.

JebSanderson
05-02-2012, 08:51 PM
Fixed for you. Does that sound right too?

I don't like it. But no, I don't blame people who game the system to their advantage.

phill4paul
05-02-2012, 08:57 PM
And the number one special interest group.

The federal government.

DerailingDaTrain
05-02-2012, 09:13 PM
I don't like it. But no, I don't blame people who game the system to their advantage.

Isn't that what this movement is against? People "gaming the system" to their advantage and selling everyone out?

kcchiefs6465
05-02-2012, 09:19 PM
Never thought I'd hear that on RPF. Do you feel the same about those who receive food stamps and sell them? Since they are only "gaming the system to their advantage." Where do you draw the line?

JebSanderson
05-02-2012, 09:25 PM
Never thought I'd hear that on RPF. Do you feel the same about those who receive food stamps and sell them? Since they are only "gaming the system to their advantage." Where do you draw the line?

No, I honestly don't blame people on food stamps because the majority of them don't have any other choice. They've been conditioned into dependence on "the system". I blame the system and those who have put it in place and I do want to change it. But I don't blame those who work within the system and use it to their advantage.

LadyBastiat
05-02-2012, 09:32 PM
No, I honestly don't blame people on food stamps because the majority of them don't have any other choice. They've been conditioned into dependence on "the system". I blame the system and those who have put it in place and I do want to change it. But I don't blame those who work within the system and use it to their advantage.

I totally agree, actually and if RPF posters believe that welfare and food stamps breeds dependence why wouldn't people who game the system be just as "innocent" based on the same principle? We all agree government is the problem (the gaming the system enabler) right?

DerailingDaTrain
05-02-2012, 09:34 PM
I totally agree, actually and if RPF posters believe that welfare and food stamps breeds dependence why wouldn't people who game the system be just as "innocent" based on the same principle? We all agree government is the problem (the gaming the system enabler) right?

I don't know how this became a discussion of food stamps and the welfare state. I was discussing people who are growers lobbying to keep marijuana illegal for their own personal profit when they can just as easily continue to make money if it was legal and if they were innovative they could make even more than they did before. Does anyone here advocate prohibition? (rhetorical question)

Brian4Liberty
05-02-2012, 09:43 PM
Never thought I'd hear that on RPF.

Then you haven't been here that long. ;)

mad cow
05-02-2012, 10:06 PM

Topically,Lidocaine might have it beat.

Lishy
05-02-2012, 10:25 PM
Here's what I'm wondering. I know it's illegal in America, but why ALL OVER THE WORLD!?

talkingpointes
05-02-2012, 10:27 PM
Why isn't drug cartels on the list ?

Anti Federalist
05-02-2012, 10:30 PM
And the number one special interest group.

The federal government.

Whoa, post of the week, thread winner, +rep, truth.

Brian4Liberty
05-02-2012, 10:33 PM
Why isn't drug cartels on the list ?

Astute question. They don't pay taxes. Underground economy.

Ender
05-02-2012, 10:41 PM
Here's what I'm wondering. I know it's illegal in America, but why ALL OVER THE WORLD!?

Because hemp is the most valuable plant on the planet. Hemp is stronger than plastic, steel, cotton- it makes oil, doesn't ruin the environment and is very dangerous to Big Corps.

Lishy
05-02-2012, 11:01 PM
Because hemp is the most valuable plant on the planet. Hemp is stronger than plastic, steel, cotton- it makes oil, doesn't ruin the environment and is very dangerous to Big Corps.

True, but ALL OVER THE WORLD? Even countries which oppose said lobbyists?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the only places it's used casually for recreational purposes is in Holland and Iran!?!?

JebSanderson
05-02-2012, 11:18 PM
True, but ALL OVER THE WORLD? Even countries which oppose said lobbyists?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the only places it's used casually for recreational purposes is in Holland and Iran!?!?

Marijuana is legal in Spain and Portugal and in Mexico and Czech Republic for personal consumption.

Hemp is legally grown in many countries across the world including Spain, China, Japan, Korea, England, France, Africa, North Africa, Egypt and Ireland.

JebSanderson
05-02-2012, 11:24 PM
Marijuana is technically not illegal to grow. All you need is one of these tax stamps (good luck getting one)

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/e/ea/Producer_of_marihuana.jpg/800px-Producer_of_marihuana.jpg

dannno
05-02-2012, 11:38 PM

I grow it legally and I prefer it that way.

dannno
05-02-2012, 11:39 PM
Marijuana is technically not illegal to grow. All you need is one of these tax stamps (good luck getting one)

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/e/ea/Producer_of_marihuana.jpg/800px-Producer_of_marihuana.jpg

That was true back in the 30s-60s. Since it has become a federally scheduled substance, the tax stamp is invalid.

LadyBastiat
05-02-2012, 11:57 PM

The question answers itself if you follow the money.... for the same reasons its profitable for it to be illegal in the US, so goes the world.

speciallyblend
05-03-2012, 12:02 AM
Of course. The "marijuana cures everything" argument is just as disingenuous as the arguments that the pro-criminalization lobby makes.

no one says it cures everything but it is better then aspirin(which kills 100's) and many pharms and is not killing my wife like morphine was so yes it can cure(cure as in not kill you from side effects) alot and helps alot. no one has ever implied it cures everything but you. People have said it helps and can cure things such as possible death from many other drugs. please site references and links. Where folks say it will cure everything. They are saying it helps and can save lives and there is plenty of documented evidence it helps people on many levels and on many things. hemp salves can help cure cuts.

kah13176
05-03-2012, 12:02 AM
A buddy of mine smoked during his chemo sessions. He said it was as good as painkillers, but without the nausea and risk of addiction.

speciallyblend
05-03-2012, 12:09 AM
i did a search on marijuana cures everything and brian it seems your taking things way out of context and i have to assume on purpose your doing this. There is plenty of sources and studies that show marijuana helps and has many cures on certain things. Do you have one source? that your not taking out of context?

speciallyblend
05-03-2012, 12:17 AM
A buddy of mine smoked during his chemo sessions. He said it was as good as painkillers, but without the nausea and risk of addiction.

my wife cannot eat unless she has the marijuana. The other pharms she takes take her appetite away and because her stomach muscles have to work extra hard for the 14 fused vertebrae . The marijuana helps relax her stomach muscles so she can eat. Without marijuana my wife would basically shrink away to death. Plus it helps her manage her pain since she will never be pain free.

Brian4Liberty
05-03-2012, 12:34 AM
i did a search on marijuana cures everything and brian it seems your taking things way out of context and i have to assume on purpose your doing this. There is plenty of sources and studies that show marijuana helps and has many cures on certain things. Do you have one source? that your not taking out of context?

As they say, the list is as long as the stars in the sky. I'm really hoping it's the cure for Mad Cow disease though... ;)

Oh yea of little faith, here's a link:

http://www.cannabissearch.com/medical_benefits/

If you or your loved ones feel better using marijuana, more power to you. It does help with some things. Keep it up, and hopefully you can grow your own with no harassment from the government or "competitors".

I am for 100% decriminalization of marijuana. What is my secret agenda?

Brian4Liberty
05-03-2012, 12:37 AM
my wife cannot eat unless she has the marijuana.

And that is probably the most well-known and effective medical use of marijuana. No one will dispute that use and benefit.

dannno
05-03-2012, 12:42 AM
As they say, the list is as long as the stars in the sky. I'm really hoping it's the cure for Mad Cow disease though... ;)

Oh yea of little faith, here's a link:

http://www.cannabissearch.com/medical_benefits/

If you or your loved ones feel better using marijuana, more power to you. It does help with some things. Keep it up, and hopefully you can grow your own with no harassment from the government or "competitors".

I am for 100% decriminalization of marijuana. What is my secret agenda?

Can you tell me what is disingenuous about that list??

That is a pretty limited list. I use it for two conditions that aren't even on that list.

Brian4Liberty
05-03-2012, 12:49 AM
Can you tell me what is disingenuous about that list??

That is a pretty limited list. I use it for two conditions that aren't even on that list.

Mad Cow? Really?

M. Smith
05-03-2012, 01:44 AM

Not necessarily. There is (would be if it were legalized) the real possibility that growers can make more money if it is made legal. I too thought the exact same thing (hypothetically speaking, of course) ... initially. Then I thought of MANY uses which individuals could use marijuana for, and many free-market areas that could then be explored. "What about the competition" then you may ask? Well, that's what makes real Capitalism work as it should ... isn't it? :)

speciallyblend
05-03-2012, 02:56 AM
Mad Cow? Really?

bottom line is no one says it can cure everything so i still say you took that statement out of context. bottom line marijuana is helpful and much more research should be done on many ailments. I do know i perfer a joint over an aspirin. you found one site that says mad cow and by the way they have research that shows it helps and it states plainly that there is no cure in that link so yes you took the mad cow link out of context for sure.

speciallyblend
05-03-2012, 02:58 AM
Mad Cow? Really?

yes really and there is research that shows it helps and the link you sent me .It clearly states it is not a cure for madcow. I assume you overlooked that. So far i haven't found anything to dispute. Marijuana has 1000's of medicinal uses thru centuries.

speciallyblend
05-03-2012, 03:05 AM
Not necessarily. There is (would be if it were legalized) the real possibility that growers can make more money if it is made legal. I too thought the exact same thing (hypothetically speaking, of course) ... initially. Then I thought of MANY uses which individuals could use marijuana for, and many free-market areas that could then be explored. "What about the competition" then you may ask? Well, that's what makes real Capitalism work as it should ... isn't it? :)

i also want to point out marijuana was not made illegal because you could get high. It was made illegal by special interest giant dupont and friends so there would be no free market on its many industrial uses. That is the bottom line . There are many made up reasons by the gov on why they had a war on marijuana but the top reason was raw materials and still is.

JebSanderson
05-03-2012, 05:23 AM
I grow it legally and I prefer it that way.

You do not grow it legally. Not according to te federal government.

Noble Savage
05-03-2012, 05:26 AM
wonder what the national price average is for an ounce of weed?

kcchiefs6465
05-03-2012, 06:37 AM
While I agree with the statement in general that wasn't what I asked. (more of a question of whether or not you agree with welfare fraud) Say if someone buys hundreds of food cards. Do you still feel the same about gaming the system? Or, do you agree with Israel gaming the system? (lobbying for a 580 million dollar increase) Paul Warburg and Nelson Rockefeller sure gamed the system in 1913.. do you agree with that? Where do you draw the line? This country is rotting from people doing just that. How do you think NDAA was passed? Or CISPA will be passed? But hey, the MPAA is just exercising their "right" to game the system.

speciallyblend
05-03-2012, 06:38 AM

he is growing it legally under state law. that is what he meant and the federal law will change or the feds will go bankrupt either is fine by me.

speciallyblend
05-03-2012, 06:39 AM

well prices in colorado can be 200-325, now depending on strains. I can see it dropping more eventually.

I really do not see it dropping lower until it is legal. There is still overhead electric,nutrients,supplies and trimming. Americans do not have lil mexican families as prisoners to trim their weed. It is not like weed grows on trees and magically appears in a baggie:) It is a full time job!

tod evans
05-03-2012, 06:40 AM

How much does a car cost?

Be a little more specific......vette or yugo.

JebSanderson
05-03-2012, 07:10 AM

I once owned a yugo, they're not as bad as people make them out to be. Much better than the Lada Zhiguli I had.

Tudo
05-03-2012, 07:23 AM
Whoever wrote these laws I wish a long long life...........with colon cancer

Athan
05-03-2012, 07:44 AM
We can do something immediately to boycott 3 and 4.
Number 1 will take time and elected officals.
2 and 5 can be reserved for last.

JebSanderson
05-03-2012, 07:52 AM
he is growing it legally under state law. that is what he meant and the federal law will change or the feds will go bankrupt either is fine by me.

"Federal law trumps state law". I hate that as much as everyone else.

kcchiefs6465
05-03-2012, 07:58 AM

The "Corvette" is around 250-300 and the "Yugo" is around 70-100. At least where I am at now.

Noble Savage
05-03-2012, 09:47 AM
The "Corvette" is around 250-300 and the "Yugo" is around 70-100. At least where I am at now.

So if someone smokes a half ounce a week dats 200-600 a month so if it were legal to grow yourself a person could save enough to buy either a Yugo or Vette

roho76
05-03-2012, 09:56 AM

Nobody said it "cures" anything. They said it is a better replacement for Advil and Vicodin which also happens to "cure" nothing but instead alleviates pain. There is plenty of evidence to prove that THC based pain killers are equal if not better pain relievers than over the counter medication.

Paul Or Nothing II
05-03-2012, 10:10 AM

"The system" didn't just spring into existence out of nowhere, it was pushed for by various factions that benefit from it & they are as much a part of the status quo as those in Washington DC; in fact, people in DC reflect the people themselves - as Ron says, people get exactly the kind of government they deserve

Voluntary action & personal responsibility is what a free society is supposed to be based on so if people think they shouldn't be held accountable for their voluntary actions then there will never be a free society; establishment & continued preservation of a free society necessitates people willing to take responsibility for their actions

azxd
05-03-2012, 12:10 PM
I have friends in the medical pot business, and they are making THOUSANDS. There is plenty of money in the legal marijuana business, plenty. May I suggest you take Scarface out of the DVD player?Uhm,
Not to argue, but if it was legal to grow, there would be no need for your friends business to exist.

Supply and demand !!!

azxd
05-03-2012, 12:16 PM
I don't know how this became a discussion of food stamps and the welfare state. I was discussing people who are growers lobbying to keep marijuana illegal for their own personal profit when they can just as easily continue to make money if it was legal and if they were innovative they could make even more than they did before. Does anyone here advocate prohibition? (rhetorical question)It's the same principle ... Gaming the system can be done in many ways.

azxd
05-03-2012, 12:19 PM
I grow it legally and I prefer it that way.Thanks for proving that the OP needs at least one more line to cover those who lobby to keep things as they are.

azxd
05-03-2012, 12:22 PM
Not necessarily. There is (would be if it were legalized) the real possibility that growers can make more money if it is made legal. I too thought the exact same thing (hypothetically speaking, of course) ... initially. Then I thought of MANY uses which individuals could use marijuana for, and many free-market areas that could then be explored. "What about the competition" then you may ask? Well, that's what makes real Capitalism work as it should ... isn't it? :)Supply and demand ... How much does a tomato cost ?
How much would that tomato cost, if only a select group of people were allowed to produce it ?
How much would it cost if tomatoes were illegal to grwo/import to this country ?

azxd
05-03-2012, 12:24 PM
i also want to point out marijuana was not made illegal because you could get high. It was made illegal by special interest giant dupont and friends so there would be no free market on its many industrial uses. That is the bottom line . There are many made up reasons by the gov on why they had a war on marijuana but the top reason was raw materials and still is.It was made illegal due to a few racists who wished to keep both the black and hispanic communities down, while also not laying off a bunch of revenuers as the nation came out of the depression.

dannno
05-03-2012, 12:32 PM

Opiates are good for temporary pain relief, but I wouldn't suggest taking them on a long-term basis.

I know someone who used to be addicted to pain killers from an injury that eventually subsided.. but when they stopped taking the opiates they would have pain all over their entire body unless they took more opiates. Took a long time to get off of them.

Cannabis, on the other hand, is a much better alternative for long-term pain relief, with very few exceptions.

dannno
05-03-2012, 12:34 PM
I don't think she was arguing that. She was saying that as far as painkillers go, opiates are much more effective than marijuana. And she's right.

Ya, effective at causing severe addiction.

dannno
05-03-2012, 12:41 PM
Mad Cow? Really?

I have no idea, does somebody claim it helps with mad cow disease? I doubt it cures it, though it wouldn't surprise me. I would be much less surprised to find out that it significantly reduces the symptoms of the disease.

Do you know that YOU have a cannabinoid receptor system in your body? An entire SYSTEM that regulates hormones and all sorts of bodily functions, which SCIENTISTS have NAMED after the cannabis plant because it is the only plant that contains cannabinoids?!

Think about that for a few minutes. A receptor system that is found throughout our entire body that is based on substances found in a single plant that regulates all bodily functions..

Now we found out that ingesting the plant helps to regulate all those bodily functions, and you're surprised that it treats hundreds of conditions?? Why??

dannno
05-03-2012, 12:45 PM

So what? Since when do they go after individual small medicinal growers?

The local cops have known I grow for years. They have come by on a 'tip', checked my dr. recomendation, and left without searching the premises never to come back.

dannno
05-03-2012, 12:47 PM
Thanks for proving that the OP needs at least one more line to cover those who lobby to keep things as they are.

No, I'd rather it be legal at the federal level and free for everyone to grow.

DerailingDaTrain
05-03-2012, 12:47 PM

The local cops have known I grow for years. They have come by on a 'tip', checked my dr. recomendation, and left without searching the premises never to come back.

It's happened before. I read one story where the local cops came to do a checkup on an old couple who grew for themselves and each year they counted the number of plants and then charged them 5 yrs later with growing that number when in reality they had only grown a small number each year. I'll find it in a minute and put the link here.

JebSanderson
05-03-2012, 12:51 PM

I'm not arguing whether they target small growers or not. I'm just saying, growing marijuana is illegal.

bolil
05-03-2012, 01:10 PM
Ahaha 5 out of 5! It is good to be validated! The tobacco industry, surprisingly, is not lobbying for decriminalization.

Tudo
05-03-2012, 01:14 PM
Opiates are good for temporary pain relief, but I wouldn't suggest taking them on a long-term basis.

I know someone who used to be addicted to pain killers from an injury that eventually subsided.. but when they stopped taking the opiates they would have pain all over their entire body unless they took more opiates. Took a long time to get off of them.

Cannabis, on the other hand, is a much better alternative for long-term pain relief, with very few exceptions.

Of course it's not suggested however some people suffer from long term chronic pain and need a strong enough medication in order to at least have some quality of life without laying paralyzed on a couch. Unfortunately cannabis is not strong enough to accomplish the type of pain relief necessary for people in this condition and there are millions and millions of these people. That said one of the major negatives of long term intake of opiates is also long term , or at least while in taking said opiates, which also means long term use of laxatives which creates a whole new internal problem for those millions as well. However it is absolutely possible to limit useage of those opioid s simply by adding medical marijuana into the equation in an effort to reduce the pharmaceuticals.

When suffering with chronic pain there's a spread 1-10 of the severity of the pain. Generally speaking people are not at level 8 or 9 thruout the day. They might start the day in a little pain, level 2-3, but within a couple hours watch it advance to level 5, 6 in which case a lower amount of narcotics will probably suffice for at least a few hours. If at some point medical pot is added it seems to help lengthen some of the effects of the drugs without lengthing the destructive capabilities or adding more pharmaceuticals. It's all an individual thing, how much pain are you in but it's definitely possible for people who suffer at level 7 and 8 to lessen the intake of the opioids by adding pot to the mix and in a significant enough way to then also experience less of the negatives with an ultimate goal of using more pot and less pain pills. And that would be a good thing.

It is criminal for what these legislators do in writing laws that not only force people into taking risks simply to live a life of minimal pain and I repeat minimal pain as the pain is NOT going way no matter what you do, the only thing a free society can do is "allow" that sick person to make every attempt at living as normal a life as possible and pot absolutely does that for millions of us around the globe . I have nothing nice to say about people like mitt romney who would like to see people hurt even more.

puppetmaster
05-03-2012, 01:42 PM
forgot the CIA........
The Top Five Special Interest Groups Lobbying to Keep Marijuana Illegal

dannno
05-03-2012, 01:56 PM
Of course it's not suggested however some people suffer from long term chronic pain and need a strong enough medication in order to at least have some quality of life without laying paralyzed on a couch. Unfortunately cannabis is not strong enough to accomplish the type of pain relief necessary for people in this condition and there are millions and millions of these people. That said one of the major negatives of long term intake of opiates is also long term , or at least while in taking said opiates, which also means long term use of laxatives which creates a whole new internal problem for those millions as well. However it is absolutely possible to limit useage of those opioid s simply by adding medical marijuana into the equation in an effort to reduce the pharmaceuticals.

When suffering with chronic pain there's a spread 1-10 of the severity of the pain. Generally speaking people are not at level 8 or 9 thruout the day. They might start the day in a little pain, level 2-3, but within a couple hours watch it advance to level 5, 6 in which case a lower amount of narcotics will probably suffice for at least a few hours. If at some point medical pot is added it seems to help lengthen some of the effects of the drugs without lengthing the destructive capabilities or adding more pharmaceuticals. It's all an individual thing, how much pain are you in but it's definitely possible for people who suffer at level 7 and 8 to lessen the intake of the opioids by adding pot to the mix and in a significant enough way to then also experience less of the negatives with an ultimate goal of using more pot and less pain pills. And that would be a good thing.

It is criminal for what these legislators do in writing laws that not only force people into taking risks simply to live a life of minimal pain and I repeat minimal pain as the pain is NOT going way no matter what you do, the only thing a free society can do is "allow" that sick person to make every attempt at living as normal a life as possible and pot absolutely does that for millions of us around the globe . I have nothing nice to say about people like mitt romney who would like to see people hurt even more.

I believe cannabis is a lot better at treating many (though not all) types of chronic pain much better than you think. I'm not saying EVERYBODY on opiates would be better off and have as high of a quality of life than if they used cannabis, but I believe the VAST MAJORITY of the "millions" you are talking about would do great with cannabis... or at least a combination of opiates and cannabis, which can significantly lower the dose of opiates needed.

The Northbreather
05-03-2012, 02:03 PM
We cant leave out the military industrial complex when it comes to pot policy. They are very aware of the ability of cannabis to unify people through enlightenment.

The fact is that pot brings people together and makes them less violent and we can't have our soldiers being less aggressive.

It also has an as relieving effect on peoples perception of reality that many people mistake as laziness. It allows people to perceive the falsehoods of society and government which is a danger to many in unjust positions of power.

speciallyblend
05-03-2012, 02:26 PM
It was made illegal due to a few racists who wished to keep both the black and hispanic communities down, while also not laying off a bunch of revenuers as the nation came out of the depression.

that was only a small part back in 1937 there was only an estimated 20-50,000 marijuana smokers yes it had a lil but the bottom line was raw materials as i will repeat again.

speciallyblend
05-03-2012, 02:28 PM
"Federal law trumps state law". I hate that as much as everyone else.

who says corrupt politicians and courts? I disagree and will always disagree. Colorado state law trumps federal and that is where istand and will always stand period.

speciallyblend
05-03-2012, 02:31 PM
Uhm,
Not to argue, but if it was legal to grow, there would be no need for your friends business to exist.

Supply and demand !!!

supply and demand would still demand stores and medical stores period.

kcchiefs6465
05-03-2012, 05:09 PM
Supply and demand ... How much does a tomato cost ?
How much would that tomato cost, if only a select group of people were allowed to produce it ?
How much would it cost if tomatoes were illegal to grwo/import to this country ?
And to think, I never thought I'd see "must spread some rep around" for azxd. I would have repped three of your posts if I could have.

DerailingDaTrain
05-03-2012, 05:13 PM
And to think, I never thought I'd see "must spread some rep around" for azxd. I would have repped three of your posts if I could have.

I don't understand him at all. He's for the police state to the extreme but for legalization. Weird

azxd
05-03-2012, 05:35 PM
supply and demand would still demand stores and medical stores period.Why ?

Eta:
The consumer will get a better price from a larger distributor who can purchase in quantity.

WalMart, Target, K-Mart, and your local grocery story come to mind, along with Walgreens, CVS pharmacy, and a host of convenience stores that already carry tobacco products.

azxd
05-03-2012, 05:37 PM
I don't understand him at all. He's for the police state to the extreme but for legalization. WeirdPerhaps it is your emotional side that keeps you from understanding my perspective :p

azxd
05-03-2012, 05:39 PM
And to think, I never thought I'd see "must spread some rep around" for azxd. I would have repped three of your posts if I could have.I keep saying that some are looking in the wrong direction ... Villifying enforcement when it is nothing more than a symptom, does nothing to effect positive change.

DerailingDaTrain
05-03-2012, 05:54 PM
Perhaps it is your emotional side that keeps you from understanding my perspective :p

How does someone speak, write, or even type without emotion? I'm not a robot so I find this difficult to do but perhaps you could let me in on your secrets to conquering the technique.

Edit: Although, thinking more about the subject at hand, perhaps you should keep those secrets to yourself. To be devoid of emotion sounds horrible.

azxd
05-03-2012, 06:03 PM
How does someone speak, write, or even type without emotion? I'm not a robot so I find this difficult to do but perhaps you could let me in on your secrets to conquering the technique.

Edit: Although, thinking more about the subject at hand, perhaps you should keep those secrets to yourself. To be devoid of emotion sounds horrible.It's called objective analysis ... You should try it, rather than subjective analysis, sometime.

kcchiefs6465
05-03-2012, 06:07 PM
I keep saying that some are looking in the wrong direction ... Villifying enforcement when it is nothing more than a symptom, does nothing to effect positive change.
Honestly, considering your other posts, perhaps I was too forthcoming. We have our disagreements for sure. My statements derive from experiences, though perhaps your's do too. Police corruption is the symptom of many laws, not just drug laws. It is instilled to treat their "beat" as occupied territory (at least where I am at). They do not care about a relationship with the people they are sworn to "protect and serve." As I've stated in other threads, the police are not MY friend. I have told them personally, when they stated the old "you wouldn't say that if we came and saved you," to let me die, I don't want you to save me as well as informed them I'd rather die than ever call them (in tears, as I was only around 11). Only after I told them that, did he stop trying to fight me. I was still ankle cuffed for another two hours. While you are pretty spot on, on the majority of your posts this thread, "villifying law enforcement" or what I call exposing truths, IS the first step.

DerailingDaTrain
05-03-2012, 06:12 PM
It's called objective analysis ... You should try it, rather than subjective analysis, sometime.

That's not what you do.

tod evans
05-03-2012, 06:29 PM
It's called objective analysis ... You should try it, rather than subjective analysis, sometime.

Objective analysis of 3 of the 5 groups listed in the original post....

Every member draws salary from tax dollars.

Every members livelihood is dependent on continuing the status-quo.

People will lobby for their own financial benefit.

So it's simple for me to draw the conclusion that this rather large voting bloc will vote to preserve their own well-being.

It's also a simple matter for me to conclude that if these well armed people in positions of power believe their livelihood is threatened that they will fight back.

Gotta wonder who'll come out on the short end of that stick?