PDA

View Full Version : Best way to fund TV shows?

Elwar
05-02-2012, 02:20 PM
Let us say that I had a national TV channel, the Liberty channel, and I did not want to fall into the same trap as mainstream media by being at the mercy of Corporations who want to spend their money on commercials to keep my channel going. And thus, subtly influence the content based upon the funding source.

What would be the best way to fund such a channel? Assume the ability to turn on and off any user's ability to watch.

Would the best route be to charge a monthly fee? Take donations? Charge the TV shows to play content on the channel and allow them to choose their own funding source? A pay per view type setup? Charge an up front cost for access to the channel?

What do you feel would be the best way to fund quality TV shows?

JWZguy
05-02-2012, 02:23 PM
Have you seen http://vodo.net/ ?
Not sure that's exactly what you mean but I thought it was a great way to fund indie TV shows.

brandon
05-02-2012, 02:23 PM
This really can't be answered. I mean if you're assuming we can somehow instantly flip a switch in a persons brain and make them need this channel, then why not just charge like a $500/month subscription fee.

In my opinion the best television shows in the past decade have come out on HBO, so there's a lot to be said about their business model. But they produce shows that people actually want to watch. I don't think the same thing could be said about some political channel.

Elwar
05-02-2012, 02:36 PM
This really can't be answered. I mean if you're assuming we can somehow instantly flip a switch in a persons brain and make them need this channel, then why not just charge like a $500/month subscription fee.

Not sure I understand. Personally if I were wanting to sit down and watch the news and I had a choice between Fox, CNN, MSNBC and a Liberty News Network, I would choose the latter.

But if the cost was $500/month then no...that is not what I would choose.

Elwar
05-02-2012, 02:40 PM
Have you seen http://vodo.net/ ?
Not sure that's exactly what you mean but I thought it was a great way to fund indie TV shows.

That is a good way to go too. Donations directly to the show.

I also thought of maybe having a "top ten" TV show line up for the prime 8PM slot and let people "vote" a good show up with donations. Like a Saturday night movie night you may have "For Liberty" set for 8PM while a challenger may be "Freedom to Fascism". Supporters chip in to push the preferred show. This way, viewers would be the drivers of content as opposed to any sort of "executive board" making the decisions.

brandon
05-02-2012, 02:40 PM
I think I misread part of your first post. Sorry about that.